my kitchen backsplash
juliejkFebruary 10, 2014
i had a tremendously hard time picking my backsplash due to the color and style of my cabinets. i wanted to bring the tuscan look into a more transitional look rather than traditional. i went with the linear glass and onyx and now i am freaking out. Im afraid its too busy! photos below are my before and after.Am i just not used to it after having a plain wall for 5 years?
brianna_smile
Maybe it's the pictures but better lighting may do the trick, I know sounds stupid then you'd see it more but it's an idea! And it's definitely better then the plain wall
    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 10, 2014 at 9:12PM
juliejk
i have high hats, under cabinet lights and pendants on the island. it was just so hard with the yellow cabinets which were brand new and expensive but not picked by me. i prefer cherry wood. all the tumbled stone i loved didnt seem to go and the glass subway tiles didnt look much different than paint
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:16PM
brianna_smile
Oh okay I see where your coming from, we'll it's not bad for one. I've heard of people painting over their back splashes, you could look into it but I think it's a little crazy especially cause you just paid for it to go in, may have to wait a little longer if u decide you hate it, Gluck!
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:29PM
Rachel H
I think you're just not used to it. It's jarring after looking at the plain wall for so long. I do they think accomplish your goal of making it look more transitional. How about some interesting new pendants to help catch the eye? http://www.atgstores.com/mini-pendants/minka-lavery-4491-298-ansmith-1-light-mini-pendant_9893900.html?&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage
1 Like    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:45PM
juliejk
Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:59PM
notme11
I think it is very rich looking. Stop freaking out. You did good.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 10, 2014 at 11:10PM
Kathy Walters
I think the backsplash adds interest, but is a bit busy in the more open area above the cooktop. Hang something square, maybe diamond, in a matching solid color in the middle of it to break up the lines a bit. Maybe something metal or ceramic that will be easy to clean grease off of. I have a large beveled square above my cooktop, cut from granite that matches my counter tops and it really makes a focal point. You may be able to mount whatever you hang with an adhesive so that you don't damage the tile/grout in case you change your mind. If you want to do matching granite, you will need to ask your tile contractor if he can retro fit it.
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 11:44PM
brio interior design
The colors all work really well, nice work! But I have to agree that the pattern is busy. Live with it for a while, and if you still don't like it in 6 months or so try something different if you plan on living in the space for a long time. I know it sounds like a pain now, but nothing is permanent. Live and learn. Also, I wonder if some functional backsplash accessories installed behind the range would help break it up? If you like that concept and would find the placement useful for how you cook.

Stinson Beach

Kitchen
    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 12:21AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
It is beautiful.......I am sure that you will get used to it.....all of your colors and materials go very well together. The wall behind the stove is big and I do agree with the suggestion to hang pots in front of the wall to soften it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 1:11AM
slhughes1
I like the back splash, with more light you would have less shadows which I think is contributing to the busy look. Im not a fan of the drawer handles though would prefer something simpler.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 3:26AM
juliejk
Maybe accessories will break itbup. Its not grouted yet. Guy coming tomorrow. I could tear it down but jystvspent 1600!
    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 3:45AM
juliejk
Should rip it out snd jusy leave it brhinf stove. . Repace rest eith s coorfinsting plain tile
    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 4:11AM
chrischocallo
Don't rip it out. Love it!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 4:26AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Grout will soften it up...........Don't tear it out.........It really is beautiful.......
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 4:37AM
Anthony Slabaugh Remodeling & Design
I agree that the back splash looks busy in the area behind the stove. It's a fairly large open space that could use some sort of design element to break up the lines of the back splash. The pots and pans idea is great, as well as incorporating some other stone work behind. my thoughts are to create a framed tile back splash there with larger coordinating tiles. I'm sure your local tile company or designer could help you find the right fit for it. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 4:48AM
juliejk
Anthony Slabaugh Remodeling & Design : pretty much your exact style was what i was going to do but it didnt go at all with the yellow cabinets. they are downsview and so expensive so i couldnt replace them though they made my 5 year endeavor to find a backsplash next to impossible. im already in 800 for tile and grout and another 850 for contractor so too late ti switch to that. thinking maybe just leave the entire area behind stonve and get the same tiles but only in the cream for the rest of the wall?
    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 4:56AM
Rachel H
Check this out for inspiration - a bold window treatment, transitional pendants, brown glass accessories:

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 5:53AM
Kevin Strader
Love it. I'm a fan of the mosaic backsplashes, or can't you tell. It has impact and creates a "WOW" factor.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 5:56AM
sph137
Very nice! A BIG difference from what you had before and anything but the plainest tile would take some getting used to. Put some hanging detail (utensils) above the stove if it's too busy for your eye - but do keep it!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 6:09AM
Virtus Design
This looks great!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 6:12AM
notme11
Once the grout is added using a light color, the busy pattern will tone down a lot. I LOVE your backsplash. Mine also looked very busy before the grout. When it was grouted, it WAY toned down.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 8:19AM
shandas9
looks amazing!! this adds some feature to it, looked too plain and typical before. you have an amazing kitchen!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 8:25AM
123 Remodeling Inc.
Mosaics seem to be the big trend in backslash - They do look so much better - Wonderful remodel.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 9:55AM
Specialty Doors
I think it looks fantastic! I wouldnt change a thing!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by juliejk    February 11, 2014 at 9:58AM
mosera2
I wouldn't change anything, either! I really like it! I agree the backsplash is a little busy, but you have provided nice balance in the rest of the room. I would ensure you provide plenty of light, natural or artificial, and avoid cluttering up the countertops with knickknacks. In other words, I would keep it just as you have it!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 10:19AM
Home Design Consulting
I think it may be a little busy where the stove top is. I like the suggestion of hanging pots and pans above the stove to break it up. I think would be the cheapest option. I also think overlaying some sort of tile design or suitable wall covering would be a good and relatively inexpensive option.

Otherwise the kitchen colors choices for the cabinet, counter top and backsplash all work very well together.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 10:37AM
juliejk
love your backsplash notme11. I wish I had seen your tile in the store it would have matched my cabinets and not quite as busy as mine. mine is a mix of onyx and glass. thanks for the compliments!
    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 12:08PM
Michael Lee, Inc
Backsplash brings life to your kitchen! Great job!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 4:00PM
Where to end my kitchen backsplash
I'm looking for advice on how to place my backsplash...
tippy22
Help me choose my kitchen backsplash!
Please help me choose an over the range backsplash..the...
dodo2014
Need advice for my kitchen backsplash
I'm wanting to put in a subway tile backsplash in my...
feedotbee
Need help with my kitchen backsplash
Unsure whether to choose a complimenting or contrasting...
jpkoonts
I purchased this for my kitchen backsplash. Any installation hints?
My tile person has not installed a tile like this....
golfkitten
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
Chair dilemma.
Here's another good example of our interior design...
VANGUARD development
What should replace my door?
We are converting our garage into a living room and...
cathomas1986
Need help on marble
We have a 30-year-old marble floor and I want to change...
vernarie
open up kitchen and dining room Baltimore duplex
I have a brick, traditional duplex with a 9'x11' kitchen...
John Merson