Do your kids share a bedroom?
Jeannie Nguyen
February 11, 2014 in Polls
For those of you who have children, do they share a bedroom? Or do they have their own?

Even if your kids are out of the house now, share your stories with us by voting below and posting your photos!

Shared
Separate
maverickcowgirl
My two share a room by choice, my daughter has her own room but we moved her into he brothers room when it was winter and her room got really cold as it is a poorly built in verandah and being young she would kick the blankets off and freeze, and now she doesn't want to move back. All her clothes and toys live in her own room but she sleeps in the spare bed in her brothers room. Being 4 and 6 it isn't much of a problem for privacy and such. They actually like having someone else in the room. Her bedroom doubles as a spare room and toy bed until she is ready to move back there. The only problem I find is I want to decorate my sons room all boyish but my daughters yellow doona makes it a little awkward
February 11, 2014 at 12:15PM     
printesa
My girls share a room. They could have their own room since the Jack & Jill bedrooms/bathroom stay empty, but they prefer to stay together. Even though my pre-teen one keeps saying that she wants her own room, after they discuss, they realize that they cannot stay one without the other. Apparently, there is too much laughing going on before bedtime and I can hear that from a mile:) They will get their own room whenever they decide and when they can at least pick after themselves. I'm really not looking forward to cleaning yet another bathroom.
February 11, 2014 at 12:20PM     
clarissaa
We have 3 boys 16, 13 and almost 3 years old and a 9 month old little girl !!! They all have their own rooms but the little ones wont sleep in their rooms they want to sleep in our room :) our 16 and 13 year olds slep in the same room for a long time untill about 4 years ago. I have the feeling that our two little ones will be sleeping in the same room too :) cute !!!
February 11, 2014 at 3:21PM     
Linda
My children shared a room for several years. We lived overseas for a short while and when we returned, it was time for them to have separate rooms. So, we told them they could have separate rooms when they decided between them as to who would get what room. Both of them wanted the room at the back of the house as they both thought it was the larger of the bedrooms. In fact, both bedrooms are exactly the same size, with identical sized closets. Both have 3 windows, 2 to the front/back and one to the side of the house. The major differences are the position of the room and closet doors and the radiator in the front bedroom doesn't work as well so it's the coldest room in the house and the back bedroom is the warmest.

The solution they agreed on was that my daughter would get the front bedroom and the single bed. My son got the back bedroom, but had the double (now queen) bed so he would have to give up his room when we had visitors.

I was adamant that I would not be assigning the rooms...I can just hear them talking decades down the line...Mom and Dad gave you have the better room... Nope, not going to blame the parents for that one!
February 11, 2014 at 6:38PM     
thickskin
My grandsons, ages 10 and 8, always had their own rooms,about three years ago they decided to share so they could have more fun. They still have their clothes in individual bedrooms, but it is so good to hear the raucous at night before they fall asleep where ever that happens to be.
February 12, 2014 at 4:42AM   
mary_page
It's all about me. I keep my two sons, 13 and 14, together in their own bedroom with W/I closet and en suite. No sense spreading out the mess to create extra clutter and work. My youngest fusses, but I'm building his character. They talk late into the night, good and bad...
February 12, 2014 at 4:53AM     
Studio M Interior Design
The kids all have separate rooms, but when you come to check on them at night they're all piled in together. Bunk beds are a must, just in case ;)
February 12, 2014 at 7:14AM     
Kymee Martinak
MaverickCowgirl, I would suggest a divider that is portable on one side girls and the other brother. worked for me when mine would not stay in their own rooms. The divider can come down at night if they want.
February 12, 2014 at 8:35AM   
marjie1059
When people hear how many children we have (ten), they often think we live in a mansion. Well, to most of the world, yes, 1842 square feet is a mansion. A friend said the children in her family each had a drawer of the dresser they shared. (Obviously, they shared a bedroom.) Now many think they are deprived if the children *must* share a bedroom.
One lifesaver for us is that the baby could be in a bassinet in our room for a few months, then a crib in our room for many months. By the way, did you know (wink) that it is possible to sleep on a mattress on the floor and sleep well?? Some of my children can vouch for that. By the time we had no more babies, the older ones were starting to move out. But we did have five children sleeping in one bedroom for a time--two sets of bunk beds, and aforementioned mattress that slid under the bed during the day. The other bedroom had three children--one set of bunk beds, and one toddler bed. Spacious? It didn't seem so, but millions of much larger families live in much smaller spaces. No, there is no room in the bedrooms for a desk, or a race track, or a Lego project, or dollhouses....but there is room for the children. (And room for the hundreds of books they own.)
February 12, 2014 at 8:41PM     
sbrustein
My kids are opposite sex and never shared a room. I was impressed that my friend's identical twin girls chose to share one bedroom and use the second bedroom as a shared study . They had this set up until they went off to ( the same ) college. Now they are in grad school far from each other.
February 12, 2014 at 8:51PM   
suzanne_m
marjie1059, I totally understand you. We were 8 children in our family with a 3 bedroom small house and the basement was not finished. For few years, we were 3 sleeping on a double bed.
February 12, 2014 at 9:30PM     
Kat Savard
Add a kitchen and bathroom and this kind of layout would actually be my dream studio apartment.
February 12, 2014 at 9:46PM   
Gretchen Maurer
both! My daughters, now grown..... had separate rooms but went through a period where they shared by choice. When we redid their rooms at that tween stage we put a queen in ones room and a double below twin above bunk in the others for sleepovers.
February 14, 2014 at 12:12PM   
Mikayla Bartley
I have a 5yr old Boy and 4yr old Girl and I made the choice to have them share a room.... So I redecorated and moved my daughters bed into my sons room and turned my daughters old bedroom into a playroom for the pair of them. Bedtime has become so much easier as they have a nice calm room with no toys or anything to distract them from sleeping, then they have a bright colourful playroom.... Best decision I've ever made.
February 16, 2014 at 5:26AM   
katyd5
In our house we had the boys' room and the girls' room. My sister and I shared a room with twin beds until she went off to college. There were times when there was an invisible border between her side and mine but many more times when our beds were pushed together so that we could whisper and giggle until we fell asleep. We are still very close. And we definitely learned about sharing.
February 21, 2014 at 7:28PM   
Hawn Bedding Company
Everybody has their own room, although they spend most of their time together anyway.
April 11, 2014 at 1:48PM   
Kids Sharing Bedrooms
I'm getting married and combining family. We have 4...
Kids' shared bedroom looks bland and boring...
Hi guys! I'm decorating a shared bedroom in our new...
Need help with a shared kids' bedroom
Trying to design a house with a shared bedroom for...
Need your opinion! Step up to kids bedrooms?
We are building a new house...We want 12 foot ceilings...
6 Fantastic Shared Kids Rooms - Pick your Favorite!
These are 6 of the most recently featured shared kids'...
Need help for treed front yard landscape idea
Hello all, We appreciate some advice from the community....
Need help with my awkward entry!
I hate the brick flower box, I tried planting in it...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Stainless Steel Counter Tops
How well do Stainless Steel Counter Tops hold up in...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...