Difficult window
Kristin DeHart
This window is above the front door of my townhouse. A couple hours of each day, sunlight comes directly into my living room and blinds whoever is in it. I love the window and don't want to fully cover it as it does provide natural light other times of day. Any suggestions to deal with the blinding sunlight without breaking the bank ($200 or less would be amazing) would be appreciated! I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the window as it is above the doorway.
tiamay
Something like this perhaps?
This is our temporary solution, as a custom blind for this window is out of my budget at this time.
February 11, 2014 at 5:46pm     
Kristin DeHart
That could work. Where did you find it?
February 11, 2014 at 6:41pm   
lntrcrts
Maybe have the glass tinted.
February 11, 2014 at 6:48pm     
kellgon
I purchased a light diffusing film from Solyx for a similar window in my house.
February 11, 2014 at 6:54pm     
notme11
I had a similar problem with a loaf arch in my living room. I just went with shutters because morning sun hit my 250 year old tall case mahogany clock. I ended up liking them. I close them at night and open them when the morning sun passes to the side yard.
February 11, 2014 at 6:56pm     
tiamay
There are two parts to that shade. The accordion and a standard honeycomb, both from the hardware store.
February 12, 2014 at 4:17am   
stuntchick
shutters are your best bet and point them upward so u get light in the right place and you don't have to keep opening and closing.
February 12, 2014 at 4:45am     
jmridgeley
You could use a decorative window film or anti glare film as suggested. It would be a shame to cover up or take away from such a beautiful window.
February 12, 2014 at 5:05am     
jmridgeley
Something like this
February 12, 2014 at 5:07am   
InteriorDesignToGo.com
Could you provide a photo of the exterior of your home? Perhaps there is a solution that would work with the architecture of your home. Cherie
February 19, 2014 at 6:24am   
Two Blind Guys
Plantation Shutters, Honeycomb Shades, or a Sunburst Faux Wood Blind are going to be your best options. It's going to be hard to find something that will be a quality product for under $200.00. You will find something that will work temporarily but if you want a product that is going to last for a long time, I'd suggest holding off till you can dedicate a little more money to a nice window covering.
February 19, 2014 at 6:28am     
SOLARIS
Window film whether installed professionally or DIY is the only solution that will give you energy efficiency, fade protection, AND allow you to keep your view and natural light in the home. Blinds and shades work well when they are closed, defeating the purpose of that big hole in your wall unless you need privacy.
February 27, 2014 at 10:13am   
help with drapes
We have this family room...four windows as seen...not...
how many inches should I hang a pendent light from a breakfast bar
Breakfast bar has a short ceiling above it want to...
spacing between shelves in a pantry cabinet
What is the typical, i.e., most efficient space between...
Bedroom Help/curtain problems
My mom has been trying to work with this bedroom for...