Lounge and Dining area help

sahabaFebruary 12, 2014
Hi all,

I'm looking for some suggestions for my adjoining Lounge and Dining areas. Apologies for the bad photos. If too dark I will try to take clearer ones.

Our idea is to install bamboo flooring. I've attached a photo that shows the colour we want. The lounge suite, dining table and tv are staying for now. Everything else can go. Also, the shelving beside the heater will be removed.

My questions are:

1. Window coverings - i've attached a photo of the kitchen (previous owners furniture) which adjoins the dining area. Would those blinds suit these areas, baring in mind the large bay window?
If yes, same colour or different?
If no, other ideas?

2. Would the colour of flooring we've chosen suit the space?

3. The light fixtures and fan will be replaced. Any suggestions for colours/styles of lighting? We were thinking pendant lights above the dining table.

4. Paint colours - any suggestions of colours to make the rooms appear more open and light?

5. Mantel - keep or remove? A gas log heater will replace the current heater

I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions!
sahaba
Sorry, photos didn't attach correctly. Here are the others...
    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:30AM
sahaba
Photos didn't attach, here are the others
    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:30AM
sahaba
Lol, I'll try that again....
    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:35AM
brio interior design
The bamboo looks good, I could take or leave the mantel. Would update it either way. something lighter in color and less heavy.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:37AM
sahaba
Thanks. I haven't had the house for long and i'm looking forward to making some changes. I definitely underestimated how many choices there are and how hard it is to choose from them all though!
    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:54AM
edithsmom
Sahaba, I see a dark teal color around your fireplace and wonder if painting your walls a much lighter shade of teal (Benjamin Moore Antique Glass for example) would appeal to you?
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:08PM
tlparks
Are you up to removing the drapes in living room? Really outdated.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:14PM
Katie Hofacker Art
I create custom map paintings that would look great above your mantle! I can make one in the size/ color of your choice. The maps list places you've been, and the longitude and latitude of each place.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:19PM
sahaba
edithsmom: We don't like bright or bold colours so I don't think Teal would work for us.
tlparks: The drapes are definitely going.
Katie: Great painting! I like it. The space above the mantel is already reserved though.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 1:28PM
Mary Spinelli
Seems that the current furniture is large for the space.Lighter painted walls and your choice of flooring will carry quite a distance in lightening up your home. window treatments that allow privacy as well as allowing light into the space would be wonderful. Excited to see your final choices all put together perhaps?
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 1:18AM
sahaba
The furniture does take up a lot of space but because we only brought it shortly before buying the house we're not looking to change it too soon.
I am really looking forward to lightening up the rooms and making some changes. I'm not sure which direction to go in with window treatments though. Privacy is an issue. Especially with the large bay window.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 1:29AM
hogan
A nice neutral like Natural linen on the walls could work with some large art work definitely remove all window coverings and start with some silhouette blinds and then I'd you like some straight panels similar to wall tone. Dinning and lounge are is in need of some are and a great way to chose an accent colour. Don't choose an accent wall as I feel for this space is nat large enough and will only make it feel smaller. I find the teal on the fireplace may be a little distracting if you do not wish to carry it out as accents, I would get rid of it! Hope this helps
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:20AM
Mary Spinelli
I have a suggestion as for window treatments. I noticed that there are glass doors leading out of the living area ( to the left of the firewall) and there are windows that flank each side of the firewall. I assume the dining area is in close eye range as well. For this reason,also the privacy issue, I thought something like the these might be considered.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:23AM
Mary Spinelli
The company is Delia Shades, 307 West 38th Street, #1016, New York, NY 10018. there are some delightful patterns from which to choose. and they can be the backdrop for additional drapery if you choose,while unifying the spaces.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:30AM
sahaba
That is very helpful, thank you.
I've researched both silhouette blinds and the natural linen paint colour and really like them. We were already planning to get rid of the teal. It's a little too bold for our liking.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:37AM
sahaba
Thanks for your suggestion Mary. The dining area is in close eye range. We would like to update the glass doors at some point also. I do like the Shades. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to visit the store though as i'm in Australia.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:42AM
Mary Spinelli
Oh my...I should hope that there would be a company in your area that would have similar products for windows.You understand where I was going with the ideas so I am quite satisfied with that. Please share pictures when you have it finished. You have a wonderful home with which to work with lots of character.I love it. Good day now.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 4:03AM
sahaba
Thanks Mary! I'll be doing a lot of looking around i'm sure so maybe I will come across something similar. I'll definitely post photos after changes have been made.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 4:10AM
Mary Spinelli
Very good I'll keep an eye out for them.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 4:14AM
greenvelvettree
Hi Sahaba. Maybe paint over the teal with white or cream, bamboo floors are great and white for the ceiling and a light shade of paint on the walls and there are lots of curtains to look at on Etsy that ship worldwide. Maybe a cotton curtain or sheers for the bay window for privacy or a set of rods so you can have two. It is really nice to have cotton to have sunshine come in when it is winter but have your privacy. Then something heavier at night.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 6:52AM
gypsyrose17
sahaba.....as to the shades....you can buy fabric/lace panels and have them cut and made to size for your windows...in an old flat I lived in I used basic sheer curtains, cut them down and hemmed them leaving a gap for inserting the springs on both top edge and bottom edge, attached springs to top and bottom of window...the springs are usually found by curtain rods in stores and come in various lengths.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 10:27AM
Room is very dark paint a soft gray, get samples and try on your walls. Firepl may work with new paint color.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:28AM
New window covers a dark gray roman shade with a white border. All trim paint white.
gypsyrose17
The room right now looks as if it has wood paneling....definitely need to lighten it up...do you have photos of adjoining rooms that show paint colors?
    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:30AM
Paint firepl and shelves a white. To make it pop against gray walls. Remove chest by French door. Get 2 armless chairs in a print fabric in gray and accent color. I like the yellows or green/blues. Like teal. Place floating in room with back to French doors.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:31AM
No rug over rug.
A big sunburst mirror 45" over sofa hang 7" above top of sofa back. Add accent color pillows mixed with black and white ones to sofa. A glass coffee table round. To lighten up room. Add accent color items to it. Just 3.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:33AM
I'm sorry put 2 armless chairs opposite doors. You have to much dark furn can you move one piece to another room?
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:34AM
Flooring go light like in yr post. Window covers in dining not working all windows should match. Hang light over table 36" above top of table. Something modern in brush nickel.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:38AM
Didn't read very carefully. Yes remove shelves from firepl. Is a TV going here? When buying furn think scale. And color not so dark and always no matching pieces.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:40AM
hogan
Hi Sahaba me again, I love the flooring you've chosen I think it will be perfect for your space!! Just wondering if you can turn the lve seat towards the living room and add a nice sofa table behind it could even double as a desk and create another area to work write or just sort mail excreta
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 12:13PM
hogan
Can't wait to see how it all turns out
hogan
Love this lighting for over your table
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 12:26PM
sahaba
Thanks for all the great help and ideas!

There is a lot of dark furniture. Black was the best choice at the time due to my partners job. Coal does not come out easily no matter how much he cleans.

The rest of the house is painted in the same colour as shown in the photo of the kitchen.
Blues and greens are my favourite colours so I would like to use those for accent colours. We were already thinking of hanging a mirror over the couch so it's good to know that that idea will work.
The tv will be going above the fireplace. I like the idea of turning the other couch towards the living room and adding a sofa table behind it. The suggested lighting for the dining table is great.

If it helps here are some lighter photos of the space (former owners furniture)...
    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:04PM
gypsyrose17
The dark walls in the living room make it appear long, narrow and dark compared to the rest of the house, if you decide on a lighter color, a tinted primer will help with the number of coats you will need to obliterate the dark brown/maroon (?) color....unfortunately, it also looks like its a glossy finish. It would help if you could take a page out of a magazine or something that is the current shade when you go to buy the paint, they can steer you in the right direction for the easiest way to cover it. Might get one the color of the other rooms too to pick something that will compliment so you won't need to repaint everything. And let them know of your love for blues and greens so you get a color that will work towards your ultimate goal :)
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 4:14PM
sahaba
Thanks! The former owner left behind sample pots of the current colours. If memory serves me correctly the darker shade is Moroccan red. I'll be sure to take that and the colour of the dining area with me when I buy the new colour. I'll also let them know about my preference for blue/green accents and get a few sample paint colours to compare. I really like the suggested natural linen so i'll have a look at that and similar shades and some greys too. My only concern with grey is that it may look gloomy and not match the bamboo flooring as nicely but I think grey would also look nice with blues/greens.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 5:57PM
hogan
Sahaba I think your dark furniture will be beautiful once you install your flooring and lighten the walls, I would love to see art above the sofa verses a mirror. A mirror above the sofa will reflect the tv above the fireplace , if you have a mirror that you really want to use you could use it in the dinning room and let it reflect your new chandelier! I attached a couple of images I wanted to show you as well how gorgeous red and yellow accents will look with your black sofa
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:43PM
hogan
Sahaba would love to know if you have made any decisions? Can't wait to see final results
    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 1:21PM
sahaba
Hi all, just an update. We are going to get started with some changes this week. (Heater and paint shopping tomorrow and the shelves will be removed...finally!). Thank you all for your great suggestions. I'll be sure to post photos when we're done.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 4:39AM
hogan
Looking forward to seeing the pics
    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 5:21AM
Need help with a space for dining and some lounging/living
We always eat dinner together as a family (3 people)...
melsiluva
dining/lounge seating& table (s)in small area
Corner of living room is 52 x 68. Need to fit in either...
hatchnan
gozo123
Formal Dining Room Becomes Casual Lounge
After 8 years of living in our home we realized the...
jessa
please , need help decorating the living room , salons, and dining area
the whole house is made in mocachino tiles (brown )...
joellewahab
Need help cheering up a dark kitchen
I got such good ideas on my tiny bathroom, now I present...
domesticimpostor
Please help this ugly house
I just purchased this home. I'm not sure which style...
peintrose
Colored ceiling in all white bath?
We have until Monday to decide how to paint this room....
domesticimpostor
Help with too much black furniture.
I posted a similar question to this recently, but wanted...
pennywurst
Add new professionals
Could you please me by adding my company as a new professional...
Jacques Jacobs