Furniture Arrangement when there are too many doors and windows

mary_jayneFebruary 13, 2014
I'm busy renovating my house and I have a living room and dining room that has a refurbished victorian fireplace between the 2. On either side of the fireplace are two arches which connect the rooms. The larger of the two rooms is is about 5.5m x 3.7m and is the room with the fireplace. the other room is almost square and is 3.7m x 3.7m. The kitchen opens up onto the larger room by means of double doors.
It seems logical to make the larger of the two rooms the dining room because it is next to the kitchen and the smaller room is better suited to being a living room because the is more wall space for furniture... BUT I really think the larger room would be better for a living area because it has the fireplace, because it is bigger, because it will have sliding folding doors opening to the patio and also because the smaller of the 2 rooms faces directly on to the street outside and I don't want expensive TVs etc on display to entice burglars. My problem is I just seem to figure out living room furniture placement without making the room feel cluttered or blocking walkways. I've attached a sketch of the layout as well as a picture from pre-renovation to give you an idea of what I mean.

This photo is taken in the larger room with my back to the kitchen. In the photo you see a shelving area on the left - this is going to be converted back into a door to the hallway. On the right hand side is a ancient patio door which is about to be replaced with a window. straight ahead (hidden behind the fireplace) is a window facing onto the street. In the larger of the 2 rooms there is also a door on the left to the passage and a window on the right, but you can't really see these in the photo. The window on the right will be replaced with the new patio doors (about 2m wide).

I have been able to successfully visualise and renovate the rest of the house, but this area has left me stumped! Would love some constructive advice!
houssaon
The only down side to using the room further away from the kitchen as the dining room is that it is further way from the kitchen. If you don't entertain much or if you get a food trolley, that won't be too big a deal.

Too bad the master bedroom and the kitchen were not switched. That layout would be optimal.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mary_jayne    February 13, 2014 at 2:25PM
colonialgp
I've seen it where one of the arches is closed off and made into shelves for both rooms. Might give you some more wiggle room for furniture placement. Interior fireplaces are the worst.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mary_jayne    February 13, 2014 at 2:32PM
mary_jayne
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I don't entertain a huge amount so I'm not too worried about the distance to the kitchen. I have thought of shelving in one of the arches being shelves and that may help, but I'm back and forth in my mind about that, but then when I look at the room now that its almost renovated with new wooden floors, refurbished fireplace and newly plastered walls, then I really appreciate the symmetry of the arches!
    Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:29PM
Furniture Arrangement and Flooring for open concept living room?
We have a good sized living room that is open to the...
deborahjarman
Too crowded? Arrangement Suggestions?
Hi! Does this arrangement too too crowded? I'm trying...
bugbeanbert
Arranging furniture in long, narrow living room.
I have lived in this house for 43 years and have never...
gweire
Furniture arrangement, large frame, curtains and corner decoration
I'm new to Houzz, and I already tried to post this...
Megan Smith
How to arrange furniture & redecorate
This posted earlier without pictures, so I am trying...
cahabamama
Contemporary/Modern Window Treatments Needed - Dallas TX
Looking for Dallas vendor for one-stop shopping for...
Dallas Arts Salon
4 year old's bedroom,
The bird fabric will be a quilt, the teal will either...
nomimama
Staircase Runner
My staircase runner has seen better days and I'm now...
monicatd
Looking for window treatment ideas to cover transom window in kitchen
I'm looking for ideas to cover the transom windows...
Christina G
Fireplace help
We need some ideas for the fireplace. Either side has...
hollibee
Sponsored Products
Tufted Peacock Slipper Chair
Overstock.com
White Majesty Bassinet with Canopy
$74.99 | zulily
19 x 14.5 Professional End Grain Cutting Board - 1816
$52.99 | Hayneedle
Cosby Leather Chair - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Moooi | Monster Barstool High
YLighting
Mosaic Tile: Merola Tile Building Materials Spectrum Block Suntan 11-3/4 in. x
$5.95 | Home Depot
Safavieh Cape Cod Grey Console Table
Overstock.com
Coco Chair
| Italy Design