Need ideas for space above the stairs...

ctchungFebruary 14, 2014
Hello,
We recently moved into our house and have no clue what to do with the space above the stairs. Does anyone know what this space is called and what is it used for? We had friends asking what to put there and we have no idea. Would love some creative ideas. Please share!! Thanks.
I call it “one of those nutty things which builders do”. I mean what are you to do with this space? Even the kitty won’t sleep there.

You are going to have to dust there, so something easy to pull down, maybe a really interesting larger basket, or a vessel of some kind? Just make sure it is easy to move and large enough to fill most of the space.
Large Open Weave Rattan Storage Basket · More Info

Lazy Susan 594014 Russet Wire Vessel - Large · More Info
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:18PM
M J HAMPTON DESIGN
I would close it off. Is there a room next to it that can use that as an extra closet?
4 Likes    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:23PM
edithsmom
Hmm, what is to the right of the space...a bedroom? Can you put drywall to enclose the area we see and open the area up through the room to the right for a closet in that room?
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:23PM
edithsmom
MJ...great minds and all that, we crossed posts
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:24PM
ctchung
Unfortunately there's a bathroom on the right side of the space. That's where the bathtub is located. :(
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:36PM
M J HAMPTON DESIGN
does the bathtub need some built in shelves over it? even if you used a quarter of that space for such a purpose, it's more functional than in its current incarnation.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:46PM
BY DESIGN Builders
We recently did a similar fix for a client in a condo where the original builder in 1980 closed off the opening from the stairwell so that it was part of the walk-in closet, but created a 3x3x2 "box" in the closet. It completely ruined the floor space. We removed the "box" and rebuilt the floor and created a step all the way across the closet. This seemed a more natural approach to allow for the appropriate head room in the stairwell and not creating an awkward tripping hazard in the closet. We added a closet organizer system and later hung a mirror on the wall. The stacking Bosch washer and dryer are in a nook to the left of the mirror. The client is really pleased.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:46PM
abbyjean
I love that open weave vessel pictured above.....something like that would be great there.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:49PM
ctchung
I appreciate the ideas. But I think I will just decorate the space instead. The house is newly built so I am not looking into tearing down walls and such. Would it look funny to add curtains and use the space behind as storage? It will probably look awkward though.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:59PM
alderjohnson
What a bizarre little area! I would definitely say to do something decorative rather than using it as storage space. It almost reminds me of a cathedral apse. It seems like a fun interior decorating challenge! Perhaps it's the perfect place for a delicate ornamental vase that you'd love to display, but would be too precarious to risk putting in a high-traffic area (although JudyG makes a valid point about dusting up there). Or hey, you could even have a bouquet of fake flowers up there--that's something I'd normally never recommend, but I can't think of a better place for them than somewhere physically removed enough that people couldn't linger and inspect them too closely.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 1:16PM
Warner Decor
Have you considered hanging a tapestry? Here are a few:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/acanthus-vine-tapestry/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/florette-tapestry/
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 1:23PM
If it backs onto another room that could use some storage, drywall in the stairwell side and open the appropriate other wall of it for a closet door with rod or shelves.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 1:30PM
indianpatti
I would just drywall that ... hang some art on the new wall then.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 2:02PM
My first choice would be to remove it, hang a really cool chandelier, and pray I never had to change the bulbs. Second choice: drywall that sucker and hang art on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 2:19PM
hayleydaniels
Have it walled in so it isn't a dead space collecting dust that is almost impossible to clean.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 2:35PM
mlprom
I think you should cut a square hole in the floor, have the edges finished off,and hang a beautiful light from the ceiling. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 4:17PM
shellyasantos

If your inclination is to decorate, consider putting a full length mirror on the back wall. It will help reflect light to the area. Maybe all tall pot and candle sticks. They make remote operated candles that you could turn on when entertaining that would reflect nicely in the mirror. The LED candles will last a long time before having to change the batteries if there is no source of electricity in the area.

Bookmark   on Sunday at 11:49AM
Need ideas for my empty wall above fireplace/tv
We have a 20 ft. wall that should have had brick up...
geoffnbrenda
Big open space, need paint color & odd space by stairs.
Love your ideas for new area rug color, purchasing...
Theresa Shafer
What to do with a small, dark space under the stairs.
Since we won't have a young wizard living with us,...
goodwoman
Need help with under stairs space
I'd like to use the space under the stairs but dont...
janetserukenya1
What to do with space under stairs.
Looking to take advantage of space under stairway,...
morris44
Do you love your pot filler?
I'm thinking of including a pot filler in my kitchen...
barrowp
Family Room Remodel - Paint Woodwork?
We are remodeling our 16 x 33 ft family room in our...
zekeross
Need help with bedroom furniture
Need help selecting bedroom furniture for a room with...
Tina DeLonga
How can I elevate the curb appeal of this log cabin?
We are planning to purchase this log home and I am...
Ginger Zambrano
Roofing Suggestions
We have a Tudor style home in Florida. We currently...
Amy Stapleton