Need help deciding on a paint color for interior of bookcase.
mmayrn
I have 2 tall bookcases that are espresso (very basic) and I want to paint the backing to make them not feel like such a dark cave, it feels like everything gets swallowed up in there! I just have no idea what color to paint them. Every bookcase online that has this done is white! I cannot, for the life of me find pictures of espresso bookcases with the back panel painted. These will sit on either side of a red brick fireplace with a white mantel and sage walls. I was thinking white first but that seems too extreme of a contrast, then I was thinking a similar color of the walls but it's a rental and we don't know what the color is, then I was thinking reddish to match the fireplace but I have no idea what I'm doing. Help! Also, I have attached 2 pictures of the rug (different lighting) I'll be using if that helps. We're moving in 2 weeks so I wanted to have it done before then. The couch and coffee table are gone. Thanks for any advice!
Manon Floreat
You could think about painting the backs a similar color to the wall. Likewise, you could use a wall paper or fabric to line the. Here's a link with lots of nice visuals.
http://www.shelterness.com/50-ideas-to-spice-up-your-bookcase-with-a-backround/
1 Like   Thanked by mmayrn    February 14, 2014 at 9:49PM
mmayrn
Great pics/ideas on the link but minimal dark shelving. So hard to find! Now I wish I had originally bought white shelves!
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 9:55PM
Manon Floreat
White certainly seems to be a popular choice for the treatment you're considering. But that doesn't mean you can't make it work with the color you have. Another option is to lightly sand your shelves and paint them to a color that works better for you. Are you able to post a photo of the shelves and their placement?
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:12PM
karen paul interiors
In this particular instance I would mirror the backs of the cases
1 Like   Thanked by mmayrn    February 14, 2014 at 10:20PM
tbyrd303
I like that lighter, sage color in the rug. It seems to look like the "bright" color in the rug, or is that just the lighting in the photo. I think with the espresso finish of the bookshelves and that shade of neutral, sage would be just bright enough without being a shocking white.
0 Likes   Thanked by mmayrn    February 14, 2014 at 10:22PM
mmayrn
The first picture is the living room we will be moving to, the second are my bookcases (please excuse the mess!). The bookcases will be on either side of the fireplace with the TV mounted over the fireplace. I don't really have the time and effort to put into painting the whole bookcases (work and kids takes up all my current time so looking for an easy fix amongst packing, etc.)
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:22PM
Manon Floreat
Brilliant, Karen!
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:25PM
mmayrn
I just realized the wall color is almost identical to what we currently have.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:25PM
mmayrn
As much as I think it would look awesome, I'm so not capable of something like mirroring a shelf! Lol! But thanks!
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:28PM
Rina
For simplicity, I think you should use the closest match you can find to the wall colour. I've done that before with dark wood and it worked beautifully. The match doesn't have to be exact, as the dark surround and shadow depth will affect it anyway. The only problem is that you will need to wait until you are in the room to test a few sample pots. If you really don't want to do that, I suggest matching the background colour of the rug in the same way, with sample pots.
0 Likes   Thanked by mmayrn    February 14, 2014 at 10:32PM
Rina
Our posts crossed -- if the wall colours are identical, no problem!
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:34PM
mmayrn
Maybe I'll try and find out the paint color from the new landlord. Any advice on what type of paint? Just regular latex in a can ok? Brush vs roller?
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:35PM
mmayrn
It will only be the backing of the bookcases, so that cheap cardboard stuff you have to nail on with, like, 10, 000 finishing nails. Good times!
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:36PM
Sahar Javaheri - Architect and interior designer
nice rug !It looks like Persian design carpets. I agree with Manon. I think wall paper, fabric or painting color(for back of bookcase) should be in the same shade of your carpet colors(Brown, gray, cream, Atlantic blue ...etc) You can also utilize a combination of same colors and flowers ( your carpet flowers including design of Abassi and Toranj flowers ) on your pillows if you prefer to add on your coach. good luck
0 Likes   Thanked by mmayrn    February 14, 2014 at 10:41PM
Rina
Mmayrn, your best bet is to get advice from a knowledgeable paint supplier (not the just someone you find wandering vaguely around the store). You will need an undercoat, certainly, to prepare the surface. I'd go for the same finish as the wall -- matt if it's matt, sheen if it's sheen. Don't think anything special will be needed.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 11:35PM
dclostboy
Since it's the backs, I'd use poster board or thin plywood...not permanent that way.
0 Likes   February 15, 2014 at 4:56AM
Need Help deciding an interior paint colour!
I was thinking of something along the lines of beige...
Cannot decide on paint color for Master Bedroom Need color help!
I have this vintage sofa, awesome expressionist painting,...
Shades of Sunday: Need help deciding a paint color?
Happy Sunday, Houzzers! Our daily Twitter themes continue...
Need a dining ro!!om! Can i use a bedroom
We live in a small cape and I need more space for entertaining....
Need help with kitchen table suggestion
I have a small kitchen with the area for the table...
need help for home decor
my house dimension are 15 x 60
What flooring to use?
We have had a living room added onto our house...will...
It's All About The Details!
It's all about the details in this 5 bedroom, 5 1/2...