ajbe
Does anyone have any experience with Downs Luxury Vinyl Tile? I went to a flooring store to look at Marmoleum planks and spotted the Downs product. Although I liked the Marmoleum products, and they certainly are more eco-friendly, I liked the Downs styles and it is easier on the wallet. Any words of advice are appreciated. This is for our kitchen.
Melinda Galloway
I would like to know too.
   May 13, 2012 at 10:37AM
ajbe
I just went ahead and ordered it - hoping to install it next weekend or the weekend after. I will let you know how it goes. The flooring shop said they had just done a measure on another very large order of it.
   May 14, 2012 at 4:27AM
ctarpley
I would love to hear how you like the Downs, we are considering it and would love to hear feedback
   September 3, 2012 at 7:20PM
Nancy Holzrichter
I am thinking of putting it in our home too and would love to hear positive and negative comments - thanks!
   September 21, 2012 at 12:34PM
rhondaray
Please follow up... Curious minds would like to know. ha ha
   March 10, 2013 at 9:37AM
Cancork Floor Inc.
I'm having a very difficult time finding ANYTHING about the manufacturer/msds or even the air quality control for the Browns LVT. A little disturbing. Normally a search will give me something. This means the name "Browns" is just a name of a brand and the manufacturer is not easily discovered. Just like "Morning Star" bamboo is NOT the manufacturer (I still can't find that one) I searched for "CARB testing" - nothing. I searched "Browns LVT" and all I came up with sellers but no corporate information.

I digress. So far, I've found that these floors are water RESISTANT but not water proof. They are easy to install but may be require some finesse when installing. There is no glue required nor underlay. The subfloor must be even and sound. Moisture testing of a concrete slab MUST be done. The requirement is nothing more than 5lbs/1000sq over 24 hours (hydrostatic pressure). This is only slightly better than laminates, wood and cork flooring. This is considered a little better than "sensitive" to moisture (you normally want to see a "tough" floor that can handle 8lbs/1000sf/24 hours of hydrostatic pressure). That means if you have moisture issues in a slab, they MUST be remedied before install - same as laminate, wood, etc. This floor is NOT a floor that will "help" in problem areas.

Standing water should be removed quickly...but limited damage is done if it is left. Rubber matting CAN NOT BE USED because of staining issues with rubber+vinyl. These planks can stain, but if the "stuff" is removed quickly (usually less than 2-5 minutes) you SHOULD be OK (again, finding info on this is VERY DIFFICULT!!!!). All this is standard stuff for "vinyl".

That's ALL I could find (and I'm used to looking up flooring stuff on the internet - 45 minutes of searching came up with ONE document....off of someone else's website - could not find a website for Browns LVT).

There you have it.
   March 10, 2013 at 11:41AM
rhondaray
Cancork-

ROFLMAO!!!! I just read your post in my voice! My frustrated voice is quite shrill so be glad you can't hear it.
I can't even find other customer's reviews or feedback anywhere. It's an internet ghost product.

I'm assuming you meant DOWNS LVT?
If not, then ignore me. ha ha

I have done this exact thing. There IS NO website for Downs product.
Here is what I have found...
-Downs is only sold through Flooring America stores
-There is no corporate to complain to...
-This link is from a forum of professionals to which I posed questions...

New floating LVP: What is normal? http://www.thefloorpro.com/community/vinyl-flooring-q-and-a/14136-new-floating-lvp-what-is-normal.html#post177495

I have just had this floor installed. I love the look! Hate the feel and sound!
I don't love the way they are installed. It is not in contact with the cement subfloor in many places. I do not like the noise it makes. It cheapens the floor. It was not cheap! It's a bit slippery for my dogs but not as slick as the water damaged wood floors it replaced.

I am really wanting to hear feedback from other customers who have this in their homes.
I have pics if anyone is interested.
   March 10, 2013 at 12:09PM
ajbe
Yikes. Houzz didn't let me know there were all these comments until today. I guess I should have posted sooner. The Downs luxury vinyl tile product is a complete mystery on the internet, but it does exist. We did decide to put it down in our kitchen and bathroom last May. I think it has worn really well - no signs that the surface is wearing at all and I am not the best housekeeper, so it sees its share of dirt, water, etc. We had the toilet overflow (already) in the bathroom and it looks perfectly fine. It should since its really just plastic/vinyl afterall.

I will say two things that were tough with installation. One is that it is harder to install than I thought. It is supposed to be a floating floor, so not under the kitchen cabinets. But getting all the grooves to lock into place when you are working under the overhang near the toekick of cabinets was really really hard and some of my tiles didn't lock like they should have. But the difficulty is also the great part about the tiles - they lock in tight and don't really want to release when their clicked together. I have no concerns that they are ever ever going to come up or get dirt in the grooves that went together well. If you have a professional install them, get someone familiar with tongue and groover flooring installations (like the wood floor planks) and they will be able to manager better than I did. Oh, and they are super hard to cut. I went through boxes of blades and looked like Popeye when I was done. Definitely a forearm workout.

I don't regret putting it down in the least. It looks nice, is holding up super well, washes really easily, and is way warmer on the feet than tile, stone or wood.
   March 10, 2013 at 7:36PM
Lisa Jovicic
Hello!! I work for a Flooring America :) I am a member of Houzz but I was googling Downs today and found myself here. The Downs product is actually exclusive to us so it has tons of brand protection, also called Luxury Vinyl Tile or LVT , pretty awesome stuff. However, if you would like to know who makes it www.ivcgroup.us/ you can go there. I will say this product is relatively new and super awesome so far. We have done a few larger jobs in the Los Angeles area and have found nothing but success! I love it because it is so indestructible and easy to install. So not only do the customers like the product but even the installers do. I still have A LOT to learn about this product so I do not have a lot of the technical info on it (which I could get for you)- and no I am not being paid to say this lol I was just bored and work looking up stuff about the product. Anyway, our website is maxxflloors.com if you ever have anymore questions that I can help with.
1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 4:13PM
ctarpley
I had written the original request regarding Downs LTV. I love the floor, it is beautiful and perfect for a beach house. Two comments - I don't think it is ready for residential use yet. I have stairs and they did not have the corner edges to install on the steps or the trim of the LTV, they had to use wood and trim it. Also, I got the "hand scraped look which I LOVE and it looks like real wood but challenging to sweep, need to stay with the grain, which at the beach can be a bit challenging with all the sand. I have only received raves at how beautiful it is and I do love it. We ended up glueing it down not floating it because it still "clicked" when you walked on it. Here is a picture of it in my dinning room
   May 28, 2013 at 7:32AM
bethstook
We're remodeling our kitchen and went to a flooring place today. The owner of the store highly recommended the Downs product. He told us of a case not long ago where a homeowner had used this flooring in his basement family room which had subsequently been flooded. They removed the Downs flooring, which was totally undamaged, dried the sub-floor and basement and re-installed the same flooring.
   July 16, 2013 at 9:36AM
byrdjc11
i'm installing this in my two bathrooms. Does anyone know if I can put a cabinet vanity on top of the flooring?
   September 18, 2013 at 12:34PM
sharpkl
1 Like   September 18, 2013 at 12:57PM
Pamela Norman
Iiiiiii.
   September 18, 2013 at 1:21PM
byrdjc11
Thanks sharpkl. I think I'm going to put the vanity on top of the tile even though tech support suggest that I do not. They said that it could cause joint seperation. Not from the tiles expanding but from the structure expanding and contracting. I will be laying this in a couple of weeks and will report back in a couple of months. I am laying it over the existing sheet vinyl.
   September 19, 2013 at 3:39AM
ajbe
We only installed ours up to, but not under, the cabinets. They recommended you NOT install it under cabinets. It is supposed to be a floating floor.
   September 19, 2013 at 4:08AM
byrdjc11
Thanks ajbe...The cabinet I'm installing has a bunch of curves in front and it will be difficult (for me anyway) to cutout that shape in the tiles. It's a real small bathroom. I guess I need to rethink this.
   September 19, 2013 at 4:15AM
ajbe
If it is a small bathroom with a difficult cabinet, I would go ahead and set the cabinet over the tiles. It isn't likely you will have much "structure" settling in such a small space.
   September 19, 2013 at 4:22AM
byrdjc11
Thanks!! That is what I need to hear. My other bathroom will have a more stright cabinet base so I will likely trim around that. Thanks for your quick responces!!!
   September 19, 2013 at 4:32AM
bethstook
Kitchen/Laundry Room--can the appliances go on top of the flooring?
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 4:58AM
byrdjc11
If you look at the photos in this string, it looks like there are some heavy stuff on top of the floor. I could be wrong though.
   September 19, 2013 at 5:14AM
rhondaray
I love my Downs LV planks.

It "clicks" in a few spots. The subfloor should be flat and smooth or you will get "clicks."

I use the hard floor setting on my vacuum. I've not tried to sweep it. I admit only my cleaning ladies have done the mopping on it so far. I will spot clean spills but for the most part it shows no dirt! LOL

It looks exactly as it did the day it was installed. It's had a lot of abuse this summer. Dogs, kids, wet dogs, wet kids, lots of furniture moved around and it still looks great. Just wish the dogs had more traction.

Cons: Dogs slip and slide on it.
It is not as slick as the previous wood floors though.

I would not put heavy appliances on a floating floor. If you don't follow the manufacturer's recommendations your warranty may be void.

I work in a lot of high end homes. I have not seen a single LVT product that looks better than mine. I do not live in a "high end" home.

I would recommend this flooring. I would recommend this product be installed by experienced professionals when covering large areas.

And...
When I sell this house, if the buyer plans on replacing the floor, I'm taking it with me! LOLOLOLOL
   September 19, 2013 at 6:20AM
sharpkl
Does it sound like LVT is floating like pergo floors but repels water whereas pergo is water sensitive?
   September 19, 2013 at 6:22AM
rhondaray
Here's a couple before and after. Previous floor had water damage.
2 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 6:35AM
rhondaray
ok maybe after and before. LOL
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 6:38AM
rhondaray
It is waterproof even though it is floating. The seams are so tight I don't think water can seep in. The actual product will not be damaged by water.
LVT and Pergo are like apples to oranges.
   September 19, 2013 at 6:48AM
sharpkl
Rhondaray,
Do you know if LVT is appropriate for a mobile home? I know that pergo is not because of possibility of moisture.
   September 20, 2013 at 8:48AM
jaxon898
I work at a Flooring Store and we sell the Downs LVT... This is a score and snap product, which means you score the top a few times with the knife and bend it so it comes apart. It will ruin a knife blade after a while which tells you that the surface is very durable. As far as moisture resistance, this product can sit in water and not be damaged. The click mechanism does not let moisture through, so the only place you would get water underneath is around the edges. I would only install this in a mobile home where the climate does not go below zero, but there is vinyl plank in a glue down form that seems to work quite well in subzero climates. Another installation tip is to make very sure that you leave a good 3/8 to 1/2 inch gap all the way around the edges. The darker planks can be warmed up enough by the sun coming in a large window that, if there is not enough 'wiggle room', the planks can buckle. I have only heard of this happening one time and the edges were not done right. It does not click together like laminate, it is more difficult than that. But once you get going, it's not too bad. Good luck everybody!
1 Like   September 24, 2013 at 12:33PM
jeferrill
Downs, Invincible, Resista, & Dynaclic are all the same LVT. Carpet One stores sell it as Invincible, Pro-Source sells it as Resista. When you order the product, the boxes have all 4 brand names printed. We have used it in a few custom boat house & customers love it!
   October 31, 2013 at 1:00PM
nichdeb
Kitchen/Laundry/Bathroom Rooms--can the appliances go on top of the Downs flooring? Refrigerator? Washer/Dryer? Stove? What are the specs or weight load? Anyone? (Thank you in advance)....
   November 12, 2013 at 6:11AM
byrdjc11
I did talk with a tech rep concerning my installation in a hall bath. He recommended that I do not put the single vanity on top of the floor. Pedistal sinks and sinks with legs are fine. The problem is not with the planks moving but it is with the structure moving. I put the vanity on top of it anyway about a month ago and have not had any problems yet. I would not recommend putting a frig or anything real heavy on it. I love the floor.
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 7:13AM
ajbe
My refrigerator is on the floor, as are all of my appliances. I haven't experienced any problems with this.
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 7:18AM
byrdjc11
That makes me feel better about putting my vanity on it.
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 7:21AM
winstover
My wife and I love the look of our new Downs LVT and hope it wears as described. As far as installation goes, I have installed a variety of flooring products, and this was by far the most difficult for a number of reasons. It did not score and snap as expected. I gave up on the utility knife with new, heavy duty blades, and used a "chop saw" for the cross cuts, a table saw for the long cuts, and a multi-tool for the short, "L" cuts. You have to be extremely careful to make sure the planks fit tightly together and stay together, without a hairline gap. Check and re-check. I did this and still ended up with one hairline separation in the middle of the floor. Several times a very small piece on the leading edge of the butt end tongue would bend up and prevent the leading edge of the joining piece to not seat fully. If that happens, take it apart and break off the small bent up piece. I did a kitchen (and hall), so with the cabinets, including an island, I had six inside corners and seven outside corners to cut around/for, plus two transitions to carpet, plus under a slide-in range, so this was extremely slow. Layout before you begin is critical so that you don't end up with a one inch strip along a wall. It would be much different in a large open space. Appliances present problems--you have to be able to set a heavy refrigerator on the floor but I do not know if the rollers will indent it or not. I wish I had an answer. Our supplier recommended a three inch glue strip at the five-foot transition to the carpet. That made sense. But as indicated elsewhere, apparently transition strips are not available (for example, from LVT to tile or vinyl). One more thing: Out of 15 boxes, at least four of the pieces had a one-half inch dull finish strip at the tongue end. I cut this off to use the rest as a starter piece, but if missed, the dull finish would show up badly. On the plus side, if you are going over an existing floor and aren't in a big hurry, you can stop at any time and do more later.
   March 31, 2014 at 7:47AM
Home At The Beach
I co-own a business called Home At The Beach on the Long Beach Peninsula in Long Beach, WA. We have a Design business and carry Downs LVT and it is our biggest seller! I also have installed in my personal home. It is a fantastic product and it wears beautifully. We have our frig, dishwasher, stove and washer and dryer on top with no problem. I have attached photos.
   August 10, 2014 at 12:08AM
mtnviewflr
This message is for Lisa Jovicic - I have someone installing this product in a new harley motorcyle dealership. The new tires on the new motorcycles are leaving a yellow stain on the product. Why and how to remove? thank you
   last Wednesday at 10:20AM
Cancork Floor Inc.
@mtnviewflr...Oh no. You have just discovered one of the few things that will discolour vinyl = natural and synthetic rubber. This discolouration is a chemical reaction between the rubber tires and the floor. In essence the tires are causing chemical 'burns' on this floor. There is cure for this. There is no way to reverse the stains. Other than putting down NATURAL FIBRE matting underneath the bikes if they are standing for more than an hour or two the only cure is a new floor.

Just like rubber mats will turn sheet vinyl "yellow" so too the rubber tires have just stained the floor. Sadly this means LVT (any vinyl in this case) and linoleum are not recommended for use with natural and many synthetic rubbers. I'm sorry but this floor may have to come out if they don't like the stains.
   last Wednesday at 3:17PM
mtnviewflr
Thank you for answering my question. I will forward this to the customer. have a great day!
   last Thursday at 7:14AM
Living Area
I am trying to arrange my living area and am getting...
8ft x10ft rug over carpet HELP!
We purchased a new rug to go in our living room over...
Remodeling our Basement...! I need ideas please
We are putting ARDESIA BLUE tile on our basement floor...
Unsure of my living room colors!
We recently purchased our first home and the interior...