Too many doors! Does anyone have sliding doors for their kitchen?
lisbeth55
We have a little apartment and want to make the most of the space. The folding door on the left goes into the kitchen and when open takes up precious space, could we put a sliding door in instead? See example picture (the wall is not thick enough for a pocket door). Will that look odd next to the door on the right? I am open to suggestions for changing all of the doors in this area...
Mark
I think you could do a sliding door. It appears though that the door when fully open will cover a bit of the entrance in to the kitchen. If this is your livingroom, I don`t see a need to have a door to the living room at all so I would just take the other door off.
1 Like   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 16, 2014 at 5:07AM
Lesli Richardson
I agree. Why have a door at all? Very closed in. Open it up!
0 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 16, 2014 at 5:27AM
lisbeth55
So sliding door for the kitchen (I want to be able to close the door when we have guests and I'm making a proper mess...) and remove the door on the right (hallway to lounge) altogether? When you do that do people keep the door frame or just have it open?
0 Likes   February 16, 2014 at 5:34AM
Make sure there is enough clearance for sliding doors.
0 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 16, 2014 at 5:38AM
Mark
You can keep the door frame or lose it all together. Taking out the door frame will require a lot more work though. Just remove where the hinges were and fill in the slightly indented area where the hinges were and the holes from the screws and you should be fine.
0 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 16, 2014 at 5:40AM
lisbeth55
We just found out putting a pocket or sliding door will be really (really) expensive! We were thinking of just getting a nicer folding door (for the kitchen) but are folding doors really dated? I just think of them as clunky, if anyone has nice examples please send them!
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 3:48AM
newman1958
Could you just remove the doors and see if it looks ok and works for you?
0 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 3:53AM
Mark
Google frosted glass bifold doors, you may like something like that. It allows light to still filter through. Here is an example.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_449460-16044-447261_4294859730__?productId=4193581&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=
2 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 4:04AM
Ramona
It doesn't have to be a folding door. It could be a French door, but I think this is the perfect space for a sliding barn door. I'm not sure about the measurements, but the bracket could go along the entire wall and the door could be slid so that it blocks the kitchen, the living room entrance or goes all the way to the left, leaving kitchen and entryway open.

]
1 Like   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 4:13AM
nundypratt
I vote for removing both doors. Try to keep the visible part of the kitchen neat and uncluttered. Too many doors in the space as it is now. It looks very cramped in the dining area.
1 Like   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 4:16AM
lisbeth55
I LOVE barn doors but don't know if there is enough room. Incidentally I really wasn't kidding about the number of doors, there is a THIRD one you can't see in the picture (have a look at the floor plan). Mark's suggestion to take off the door that goes from the hall to the living room seems like a great idea (and it's an easy job). For the other two doors I really like the idea of being able to open the kitchen up, or close it off (for when I'm burning dinner and don't want guests to see or when the very loud dishwasher/washing machine is running), which is why I am leaning towards keeping both - I'm amazed how tricky this has become but it really affects the space! This flat is in London by the way, the English love their quirky and tiny layouts...
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 4:27AM
Ramona
If the width of the door to the hallway is the same as the kitchen, just make the door that width. Then you cover either kitchen or hallway or push all the way to the left. The barn door doesn't have to be wide.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 4:33AM
Victoria
I'd take off the door to the living room and block off the door from kitchen to living room. Just then use door from kitchen to hall to enter living room as there won't be the second door in the way. Gives you your privacy and noise reduction, also more space on kitchen.
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 4:36AM
nundypratt
Thanks for the floor plan. Since you have another doorway into the kitchen from the hall, I think you should close up the smaller doorway with the bifold doors. If you need to keep the door to the lounge area to keep it cozy, maybe change that door to the barn door style with frosted glass to allow light into the hallway. Maybe use a more decorative glass detail to make it an art piece as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 4:37AM
Victoria
I'd then take out the closet/pantry to make better use of the back of the kitchen. A lot of space is wasted there.
1 Like   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 4:38AM
lisbeth55
Hey Ramona, no such luck - the folding kitchen door is not nearly as wide as the hall one, and it is also wider that the wall to the far left (meaning a sliding door would stick out into the kitchen frame - does that make sense?) How do folks feel about getting rid of the folding kitchen door altogether (so making it a solid wall), removing the hall door and just keeping the frame, and then making the second kitchen door (the one in the hall that is not visible in the picture) a sliding one like my original picture? It means the dining area has more space, but you then can't see all the way through the flat. Thanks so much for everyone's advice, I really appreciate the help!
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 4:41AM
lisbeth55
Thanks Victoria - we are planning to completely redo the kitchen (it need's it!) so that should help with space...
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 4:41AM
Ramona
I do not like entering the living space through the kitchen. Very ugly set up. I am assuming that you eat in 'reception area' and don't want to carry food through 'side' kitchen door into 'dining room.'

I would consider taking down the whole wall, making an open concept and figuring ways to block view of kitchen mess with taller counters facing reception.
1 Like   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 4:44AM
Victoria
I may be wrong, but I believe in the UK that fire regulations state you must have a door between kitchen and the stairs, I know some people take it out but the regulations are there for a reason.
0 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 4:48AM
jessegee
I've got lots of doors, good handles makes big difference.

Is it the look of the doors or the doors themselves that you don;t like ?
A secret door is lovely , but better might be to bookcase around them so they dont look so obvious?

Love your floor by the way.
2 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 5:11AM
Victoria
I'm doing that in my kitchen Jesse!
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 5:19AM
anniau
If you prefer a separate kitchen, then go for it. The open plan kitchen dining living room is not for everyone.
Closing off the bifold doors will give you much more space in the kitchen and you may be able to fit a very small breakfast bench and stool here.

Instead of building a wall where the bifolds are, consider using the doorway space to build a shallow cabinet or shelves -drink and glass storage, books, treasures.
Perhaps with a mirror back to add more light into this space.
The room does not seem to have any storage.
0 Likes   Thanked by lisbeth55    February 22, 2014 at 5:29AM
jessegee
Wonderful Victoria, painted or wood?
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 5:52AM
lisbeth55
That'll be fantastic Victoria - wall bookshelves are so nice!
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 6:04AM
lisbeth55
Hey anniau - yeah maybe that is the right way to go! It just seems most people are opening up the space rather than closing it off, but I think I prefer a separate kitchen!
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 6:05AM
Victoria
Painted
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:02AM
jessegee
Excellent, are you being daring with colour?
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:18AM
Victoria
No, for once I will be restrained!
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 10:39AM
DAYORIS DOORS / PANELS
View our gallery at http://www.dayoris.com, we have excellent examples of modern sliding doors. Our upscale design will transform your living space and expand it's luxury to the entire home. All our design doors are available in different finishes, so you know that you will be able to find the perfect color for your project.

Sincerely,
The DAYORIS Team
0 Likes   October 8, 2014 at 7:35AM
How many sliding doors are too many?
I love the industrial sliding barn door look - am planning...
daisycoffee
I have too many mirrored closet doors.
I have 3 bed rooms with mirrored closet doors. I would...
debsinca57
Another kitchen question. Can you have too many ovens?
We live in a relatively large, family-friendly home...
nancycronk
Master Bathroom renovation
Floor and walls for shower and oversizedJacuzzi (on...
jhberman
Open living-room and kitchen nook paint.
I have painted my 30 ft living-room wall chocolate...
Lisa Rossignolo
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Need help for mater bathroom above the mirro
I am looking for a fixture that will give good light...
peggyjanescott
Small bathroom
Help! I have a small bathroom and need a small sink....
sveta222