Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttcestmoi

Need help with my pony wall please!!!

ttcestmoi
10 years ago
We have a 36" high pony (stub) wall that divides our living room from the stairs to our basement. Though we like a somewhat open feel, it is just too lofty, especially with 11' ceilings. We recently removed some artificial greenery and are looking for some stylish design ideas and something other than just a piece of glass. Photos would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)

• decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    How about turning it into a bookcase or display shelf system that is a bit higher than the current pony wall? I'm not crazy about the two boxy openings in the background. What are they providing, more light somewhere? I'd tend to close one or both in and hang decor on the new walls. The last one here is a pony wall TV installation. Just a few thoughts...
    Maine Woods · More Info

Hickory Lane · More Info

Kipnis Architecture + Planning · More Info

living room · More Info
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I think it need some some architectural interest, like columns.
  • ttcestmoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We thought about that, however, several pros thought it would be too repetitive. Also, it is too costly given the ceiling height and narrowness of the pony wall. The pillars would not be substantial enough. Thank you, though, for your suggestions.
  • ttcestmoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The pony wall is narrow at only with the white top only 5" before the rounded edge so that needs to be taken into consideration. Also, since we always plan to have a sofa against it, bookshelves or anything open behind the sofa would not make any sense. We are looking for solutions for on top of the pony wall.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Some ideas:
    Living room · More Info

Historic Brownstone Renovation · More Info
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    HI -- I don't like pony walls in living rooms . It just seems to casual and if it was me I would put the wall back . You need a wall behind your sofa unless you have another location for the sofa . Other alternative would be to fill in the opening with fretwork panels ,but I think that would look too busy . So I still think filling in the opening is going to look better. It's also the easier solution .
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    You can have a laser cut screen like this on top of the pony wall.
    Custom Home · More Info

Living Room · More Info
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Is that an opening or a mirror on the wall behind the pony wall? I think it would look better if that wall had the focal point rather than the ledge.
    With 11' ceilings, I'd also consider making the wall slightly higher.
  • ttcestmoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is no mirror, just a short wall against which the sofa rests. Opposite the sofa is a huge bank of windows overlooking a pond. For that reason, we would never close up the wall as it would obscure the glorious view from the dining room, hallway, etc. Unfortunately, my pictures cannot really capture the essence of the room. The Creatively Custom suggestion might be a good one if the wall were thicker, however, with only 5" in width, shelves will not be able to hold anything. Also, there is no way to increase this either as it is in proportion to the other areas of the home. Thanks anyways everyone.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    But the wall behind that short wall, on the other side of the stairs- there appears to be an opening in it that isn't centered, and another wall with an opening behind that? I definitely would consider floor to ceiling glass if you want a full view.
  • Brown Dog
    10 years ago
    I don't think there's much you can do about your pony wall unless you replace it with a railing. I think your bigger issue is the weird cut outs in the walls further back in the photo. I like the suggestion above to add architectural posts to your pony wall and you could also add them to the weird wall cut outs for a unified look. Good luck!
  • buster57
    10 years ago
    Would you consider shutters? They could be custom designed by you with photos on them yet you could have them opened or closed depending on your mood,
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    I think you need to take more and better pictures to get good advice. I can barely see what you are discussing. Usually, a pony wall allows necessary light somewhere else. I don't like closing them up, but they difficult to deal with.
Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling