Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalia_s

Just purchased coffee table/end table/sofa table

Liya
10 years ago
Looking for your opinions on size, how the pieces fit in the room, color, how to decorate the tables, etc. Pillows? Art? Photos? What about the space on the wall between the end table and sliding door? We have sheers (white) on order for the windows already.

Comments (127)

• pskwirut
    10 years ago
    It's hard for us to judge the size of the space, but you will have to do some measuring and visualizing.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    For under the tables

Threshold Global Large Milk Crate, Dark Brown · More Info
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    Glad to hear about the white drapes coming in because the room is too "beige". I'd also consider an area rug with strong colors that you love.
    Liya thanked Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Genevieve, she already bought two very nice baskets much like that. Wouldn't want to "overdo" baskets like I have done. I have a discussion going where everyone is telling me to lighten up on baskets:)
  • Liya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bought another picture, here it is being demonstrated by my honey on the wall over the sofa table. Other thoughts are in the other spot next to the sliding door. Something else I've been thinking about for this picture: landscape or portrait orientation? The style of this picture is similar to the pictures on the wall going up the stairs.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Natalia, i do think the size is good for that spot, but lower than where it is being held up. I think that one would be way too small for next to the sliding door. Regarding the art up the stairs, I'd move those elsewhere as I think they are much too small and much too far apart. I'd leave the stair wall blank for now. To get the stair wall decorated right would be a big project and take a lot of planning. Here are some examples of handling art on stair walls - like I mentioned, a pretty big project and the art need to fill a lot of space.
    [houzz=
    Natalie Blake Studios · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    MID-CENTURY MODERN RESIDENCE · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Custom Renovation · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Coastal Living | Davis Island | Interior Design · More Info
    ]
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I like the new art and how the frame color goes so nicely with the table. If you take the three down on the stairway, could they be arranged for the window wall?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I am wondering about portrait for over the table???? What else is going on the table?
  • pskwirut
    10 years ago
    I think I might like it more vertical - it might fill the space better.
  • Liya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    vertical
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I like it like this!!!
  • Liya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is an example of the type of sheers we are going to be hanging. What are your opinions on these?

I still don't know what I should put on the sofa table. I'd be happy to entertain your ideas.

"Glad to hear about the white drapes coming in because the room is too "beige". I'd also consider an area rug with strong colors that you love." Thanks Lori! Brown and burgundy are two of my favorite colors.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I'm terrible with window treatment thoughts and ideas so I'll let the more knowledgeable respond to that:)
    Liya thanked Ann
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I have concerns about an area rug.....over the carpet. And I am trying to figure out how it would FIT in the room, with the seating areas and the fireplace. Is it for color? You are getting color with pillows and art and the throw and accessories. That might be enough.
    Liya thanked abbyjean
  • pskwirut
    10 years ago
    The sheers are both very pretty, but are you putting panels with them, or just the sheers? Panels would add more color and help break up the walls a little more. Even if you can do a "fake" panel, like in a hotel room, (it doesn't actually pull across the window and close) it would look really nice. If not, does the blue edge come in burgundy? I don't think the blue works in your room.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    You're tackling things the right way. Get the furniture placement set, complete the drapes and then start adding your art and accessories. Your mantra should be "centered, balanced and enhanced." The enhancement will come last as you add the personality and comfort items that bring in color and pattern. Personally, I think clocks are for telling time and not for decor, so I'd eliminate the big box store faux clock from your plans. Art pieces need to link to furniture they're with (5" above it) or hang alone with their centers 5' above the floor.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Love what deco said about art placement. As long as the size of the art piece is good for the size of the spot and you hang it just as deco described, it will look "at home".
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey everyone, I'm back! We bought a vase and 2 stemmed decorations as well as a mirror, all for the fireplace. We also bought a couple of decorations and a clock for the sofa table (with 2 of the photos relocated from the mantle). Looking for comments as to the size, style, and color of the decorations. Thanks!
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also tried it with the painting and mirror swapped, all for your commenting pleasure!
  • decorgirly
    9 years ago
    nice job on your room1 it's looking much better.
    I like how you did your mantle, it has a nice variation of heights.
    The side table accessories are all too low, you need a lamp or vase for it
    Elegant Edgemont by B Fein Interiors · More Info
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Do you prefer the mirror or the painting over the fireplace? Any other opinions?
  • decorgirly
    9 years ago
    I like the mirror over the fireplace but not the painting or the mirror by the table
  • bachicha446
    9 years ago
    Love the mirror over the table, not a fan of the art on the mantel, though I do like the other accents on there. I was a fan of the clock over the mantle :)
  • Maria Enerhardt
    9 years ago
    Move your long couch in front of your multi-window wall, leaving 8" space between couch and your drapes coming...center it. Coffee table in front of it. Move the 'chair' to where the TV is. MUCH more comfortable to have a chair there than a TV. The small table will go next to the chair...chair, then slightly angled chair toward where TV will be...then fireplace. Move the TV to the other side of the doorway and place it on top of your sofa table. Your loveseat will go facing the fireplace.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I completely agree with decorgirly's table height comment. I think I prefer the mirror on the mantel but either way it works. A BIG variation of heights on the table is definitely needed.
    [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/41st-annual-marin-designers-showcase-contemporary-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1039711]
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for the comments. I really like the current arrangement of the loveseat, couch, and recliner so I don't think I want to try other arrangements (we went through lots and lots of placements earlier in the year). I'm mostly trying to give the room some pop, some wow-factor now. Here are some more photos of the sofa table, with different arrangements of different lamps and decorations.
  • decorgirly
    9 years ago
    last one is good but the higher the better
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok guys, did some more shopping today and now I'm looking for comments on the two pictures and the clock as to style, color, size, etc, over the fireplace. Thanks!
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I kind of like the art in the second pic. Definitely not option 1 (clock) or option 4 (wider than the firebox).
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I kind of like the upper right and lower left pictures too, but neither one seems to give me the wow factor I'm looking for. Just can't seem to think of find the right thing.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I like the second pic with the art, but how about something in that reddish orange color that shows up in the center of the art to put on the mantle with it and that would also pick up the color of some of your pillows.
  • Eileen
    9 years ago
    I like the big round clock you had over the mantel in late February, something about the round shape and simplicity. Love the new mirror over the console but perhaps brought down a bit?
  • willy4
    9 years ago
    I liked the big round clock over the mantle
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    abbyjean, to which picture do you refer? The one with the flowers, or the street scene? I don't really see reddish orange in either.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    The street scene.....smack dab in the middle? Thought it looked like a reddish orange there.
  • vjs12
    9 years ago
    I like the 2nd picture posted for the mantel. Replace items on each side of the picture with something orange. Maybe 2 ginger jars on each side or 2 large hurricane lamps with orange candles. (Just 3 items total).
  • vjs12
    9 years ago
    I like the 3rd picture of the sofa table but would tweak a few items. Hang the mirror about 6" up from the table. Get 2 buffet lamps, one for each side. Leave the 3 items in the middle. So 5 items total plus the mirror.
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What do you guys think? Thanks so much!!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Just to make sure what our monitors are seeing, would you describe the three sets for us?
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I went to the store and looked at these, and I didn't like any of them. One was too dark, one was too sheer, and third was actually the same as the first, albeit from a different angle. I would appreciate any and all advice.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    What store and what drapes so we can take a good look at them online?
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's a 9 foot ceiling, so we're primarily looking at 108" panels, or maybe 95" if that would look right.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Oh, I much prefer the 1st ones. They definitely should hit the floor, so it just depends on how high you hang them. If you get the 108, you need to hang them all the way to the ceiling (which is a nice look). If you get the 95, be sure to hang them at a height where they'll hit the floor.
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Its starting to look very nice but every decorative item you have is the same color and tone - brown. The art work is old fashioned very dated and just blends into the surrounds.
    Its all very heavy looking and a little dull. Just my observation but I cant see any pops of color in this space. I like the furniture arrangement and think the light drapes would help break up the brown tones.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    IMO, clocks are not decor, but are a ploy of the big box stores who cater to the non-decorator in everyone. If it doesn't wind with a key, chime and say "tick-tock" it isn't a real clock so it doesn't qualify as something to display. Where is the excitement in this space? Solid drapes aren't helping with the texture, color and pattern your room is crying for.
    You're determined and persistent so you'll find the key sooner or later. Keep trying.
  • Liya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I found a couple of paintings that I like for above the fireplace. I haven't bought them yet because I'm tired of returning thing. :-) I'm posting photos I took of the paintings at the store. Tell me what you think!
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Natalia - I'm not crazy about any of them, but my favorite of the bunch is the third one. I was at ZGallerie the other day and was very impressed with their art collection.
  • Luis Miguel
    last year

I like the tables themselves for the space as well as the color. The end tables might be a little too tall though, but that is just me and an overall peeve of mine. Your TV needs to be A Lot bigger though or get rid of it altogether.

I would also angle things to face the fireplace which would also help with the awkard postioning of the chair right next to (too close to) the loveseat facing almost the same direction. Although not easy to do since there is an entryway on the opposite wall.

Maybe get rid of the TV and out the recliner/chair there with its own table (or possibly that end table with a short lamp)? Then angle the coffee table the other way to serve the sofa as the primary. It will also serve the loveseat automatically.