POLL: What makes a front yard?
Houzz Polls
February 18, 2014 in Polls
What makes a front yard appealing to you?

Vote for your choice! To win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment telling us what your favorite feature about your front yard is, (photos welcomed too) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 2/26/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.
A fence
A free little library
Proper lighting
Plants and more plants
A great hangout spot
Other - Tell us below!
Jessica
I'd say a great hangout spot, but with the codicil that it should not be a busy street. My parent's front yard for instance has car accidents in it all the time (see the discussion I started on front yard safety). I also like a large mature tree or so in the front yard.
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 10:00AM
maverickcowgirl
I love plants and am usually drawn to houses that have them in the front yard. I think plants can be very welcoming in a front yard and can really set a house apart. Plants well suited to the area and to the design of the house are important and really tell a person before they even step into your house a lot about you. Even someone who isn't a green thumb can use plants to their advantage with a little research (or houzz browsing) and a good nursery.
I love a nice fence though and especially love the white picket in the picture.
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 3:30PM
Teresa Drum
Landscaping, and ours is lacking some right now (recently moved in).
5 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 6:06PM
happyasaclam
Beautiful landscaping does it for me! Blooming trees and flowers always lift my spirits. Can't wait for spring :))
5 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 6:28PM
cbrichards
I added these benches to my butterfly garden. I love it when I see my neighbors sitting on them
7 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 6:44PM
Charette Design
Living in Palm Springs I would have to say that Desert Landscaping is most appealing and practical. I have shown the Kaufmann house designed by Richard Neutra as an example. I love the use of indigenous plants and the minimal need for water.
13 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 7:02PM
debdishong
I love the way the fence with its flowers and stone walk portray a welcoming invite onto the property
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 7:05PM
mamallama
People always seem to linger in our entry courtyard
12 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 11:48PM
armipeg
Nothing beats a beautiful picked fence.
2 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 11:55PM
MaggieNZ
I think plants and tree etc make a front yard. We have topiary buxus flat cones and balls in front of our bay window with white busy lizzies in between and a large cherry tree to name but a few plantings.
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 11:57PM
lildes29
Definitely plants plants plants surrounding a great hangout spot
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 11:59PM
Erin Downey
Want to add a paver courtyard with some art, and plants. I will some day.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 1:03AM
off2acre
Plants for privacy - easier to control and less dominant than a fence.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 2:54AM
Kristy Morrill
Someday I want a Moon Gated area in my front yard
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 4:38AM
betd
I love plants and English gargens but when we build our home we were given lots by family members and so our house is situated on about two acres of land separating us from all the houses on our street. I would go by and see all the lovely gardens and I would try to plant flowers and bushes. But nothing seemed to grow. Why because of the deer and other wildlife who make our yard their home. Three years ago I had a beautiful boarder of Tiger Lilies (which to our shock have not bloomed like this in years) The next day all were eaten. A neighbor stopped by and asked what type of flowers and plants we were planting (all we had were stems) and my husband replied "We plant deer food." So that was the year we decided that we rather see the wildlife in our yard and let them have the rest of what ever there is. After all they were here first. So we don't use anything that would harm the lawns or plants, everything is just left in a natural state.
25 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 4:40AM
sbartram
I love plants for their visual appeal, smell, and the birds they attract. I enjoy touring gardens for inspiration. I can't wait for spring to get here.
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 4:44AM
June Chapman
Love the library. What a great idea!
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 4:48AM
June Chapman
Love the library. What a great idea!
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 4:48AM
twhitfield461
Plants make a home look like it's loved. I love beautiful landscaping including beautiful flowering and fall coloring trees, flowers along the walk way, and lovely urns of flowers at the front door.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 5:12AM
saratogaswizzlestick
I love plants and feel proper landscaping does make a home feel loved. I have the same deer issue so I try to plant poisonous plants.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 5:15AM
wbporter
All of these things are important and add character, but landscaping and plants are the first and most important to me.
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 5:49AM
Beth Tauke
I wish I could vote in two categories--proper lighting and plants. Lighting is important at night and plants are important to set the stage during the day.
3 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 5:50AM
majlweber
A fence with a gate and a great hang out space are always inviting to me... but I really love the idea of the free little library. I'm trying to figure out how to do it so my neighbors will take part. It's a wonderful idea to connect to others in a new way. I can't wait to share with my daughters.
3 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 5:55AM
Renea Davis
I love my trees. We planted then the first couple years we moved in. The trees are finally getting large enough to provide privacy and shade for the summer months so my children can play under them.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 6:00AM
barbclog
I like them all, plants flowers fence a place to sit and enjoy them lights to showcase them at night and an inviting homey relaxing feeling. Our home was recently renovated so we have a blank slate in our front yard. I'm collecting all kinds of ideas from Houzz to start implementing this spring. Can't wait for spring to arrive!
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 6:31AM
indianpatti
flowers, flowers, flowers .. love them! Can't wait for spring to come, it's been a brutal winter here in Wisconsin.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 6:33AM
scottagreenwood
its all about having an inviting front door during daylight hours and after dark.. We've tried to do both with pretty good results by planting small plants and trees and having lights and shadows highlight the areas we like the most
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 6:33AM
lormcc
I love love a beautiful landscaped yard!!!! Unfortunately, I don't know a weed from a plant! Just bought a new place that is in need of some updated landscaping!
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 6:56AM
Emily Foers
I think vibrantly coloured flower beds make a garden
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 7:14AM
Kelsey Ejzak
I love having beautiful landscaping and a nice place to sit in the front yard. We just moved into a new house this fall and I cannot wait for spring so that I can sit on my front porch with a cup of coffee in the morning.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 7:17AM
jessegee
Clever lighting is my favourite, magical, practical and beautiful, can;t stand stumbling around in the dark!
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 7:21AM
KEENAN ARCHITECTURAL GROUP
A nice little pond, some accent lighting and sitting area.
3 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 7:31AM
Elizabeth Babb
Some nice landscaping as a plus but my favorite thing about my front yard is my chairs on my front porch.
When i see a nice spot like that in homes it seems so warm and enviting to me; nothing better then sitting on the front porch while relaxing with a cup of tea!
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 7:34AM
eceaemee
Nice landscaping gives a home so much personality!
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 8:00AM
Pat Christensen
A water feature like a jar fountain that goes with the landscaping.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:03AM
pld1944
I don't have any of this but I love pretty landscaping,Fencing,Lighting and all of it.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:11AM
carolschreck
Lighting makes all the difference - every season, every weather, every occasion, every plant is enhanced by great lighting! (Oh yea - there's safety too)
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:14AM
quinciettajane
I planned and we planted our own landscaping with tips from a local nursery. Our houses are a tract of homes with different styles but it seems to meld together. My neighbor never mowed his builders landscaped yard and I became discouraged for my walkway to my front door looked upon their side yard out of their site but what greeted my guests! So I've heard, fences make poor neighbors be. Instead I added plants that focused on varying bloom times, yet did not grow overly large. I added a crepe myrtle tree that gives color most of the summer and bark interest in the winter. My tiny strip next to this sidewalk to my door has all colorful perennials and annuals with potted plants filled with both plants and a few annuals. My front has spiral junipers for a strong element but roses, society garlic which is green year round yet blooms all summer. A camellia japonica stays small yet blooms in winter. Different things bloom all year round and adding less annuals as the plants fill in makes it a bit less expensive. Even our main front yard tree flowers in spring! And the strip of grass between driveways with my other neighbor,has two crepe myrtle trees. It's also where I created my lilac bush and mini rose and packed bed ofannuals with a few perennials. A window box filled with low maintenance flowers spanning a front window that has a ledge breaks up the stucco look. My overall yard is not crowded yet is eye catching year round. Pretty low colorful plants with room for a few annuals along the edge make my homes entry my own, without installing a cold fence to hide the neighbor's lack of tidiness I desire evolved into something even prettier and more unusual than I'd have dreamed or created if I'd not had this dilemma. Not wanting to hurt my neighbors yet I was not able any longer to keep pulling their weeds. Since I did this for me and butterflies and hummingbirds it's a bonus when friends also enjoy my yard too.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:17AM
Jennifer Hall Batra
We are now redoing our front yard. We took out the grass and hedges and put in a courtyard patio with many beautiful (mainly edible!) plants and a large comfy seating area. It's a wonderful place and we spend so much more time outdoors because of it. This picture is of the doors we put in facing the street.
5 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:18AM
pld1944
I think the landscaping is beautiful.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:25AM
Cowboy Chic Designs
I'm my favorite feature in my front yard - my yard represents my personality and when I'm featured enjoying it - that's says it all ! :)
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 8:34AM
Cowboy Chic Designs
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:34AM
G Lange
Low maintenance, native plants for a beautiful landscape that doesn't require lots of water and chemicals to thrive. I love ornamental grasses for both summer and winter interest and great movement in wind. Bringing in some large stones to use as seating is also very effective in this kind of setting. And a birdbath...
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:47AM
marciap
We have a front porch running across the length of our house and have a row of crape myrtles on the property line under planted with dwarf nandenas. Each tree is lighted with its own spotlight, a single trunk Crape Myrtle is in the front on the other side of the lawn with its' own spotlight, there are well lights along the front of the house/porch. The lights were our last addition in the front and they were the icing on the cake. They made the front pop and the plants look wonderful in the evening bathed in the soft lights.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:49AM
lindajjoy
I like the white fence. It creates a perfect frame to set off the house!
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 9:11AM
8482
Nature at it's best. No other beauty can beat the natural colors of flowers and trees. It can last throughout the year if done right. However not to overdo one or the other and keeping the lawn neatly maintained can be breathtaking.
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 9:15AM
brendaspaeth
It's a toss up for me between flowers and seating. They should go hand in hand and hope they do at my home.
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 9:17AM
Marilyn Wilkie
The view of the cows across the road. I love to watch them interact with one another. They have a leader and when she says it's time to go to the other end of the field they go...smallest ones at the end. Other than that view we have giant oaks that are a couple of hundred years old, maples, pines and lots of wildlife.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 9:19AM
smashingvalentine
I love the inviting front fence with pathway.
My favorite thing about my Florida front yard is the whimsy items - especially the pink flamingo mailbox.
It makes people smile.
3 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 9:20AM
muscarello
Mature trees. No matter how old or young the house is, they make the property look established and create a more natural setting. They also provide shade and attract birds and animals. They even look right in desert settings.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 9:42AM
katy3194
A cozy hangout! Just bought a new place and looking for ideas
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 9:49AM
erinbliss
I have a magnificent tree in my front yard that has the most beautiful red leaves. It's well shaped and lovely. Very welcoming. Plus the kids like to climb it and sit in the lower branches.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 9:56AM
q741496
I like a lot of whimsy in my flower beds, and it seems to attract the kids and get them interested.
4 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 10:06AM
duncant14
Fence, garden gate makes a house look homey and warm. Also safe for the dog or kids! -Tim
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 10:24AM
mpsickels
I love to see people enjoying their yards, spaces...a perfectly manicured lawn with no one ever in it, never calls me. And ive always thought plantings make a house fell homey.
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 10:27AM
cyndeefarrell
Previous owners left some nicely shaped walkway bushes and there is an old oak in front. I added some roses for color, not to mention bright green porch chairs and they all make me happy.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 10:28AM
butter17
Landscaping does it for me and keeping it up is most important! If you have sweat and have sore muscles or paid for someone to do your landscaping, trimming and adding mulch is a must to keep it looking beautiful and well kept.
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 11:33AM
kaye1951
I am very blessed to live in the foothills of the Rocky Mts., but sad to say it is a Red Zone ( high wildfire danger) and we have to cut down some beautiful old conifers and aspen for wildfire mitigation. I will have to get even more creative with my perennial garden. (Liquid Fence works well to keep the wildlife away and it is non-toxic.)
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 11:59AM
Suzanne MacGregor
The flowers and the wood door. When I first drove up to our house I fell in love with the curb appeal. So we bought it!
3 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 12:13PM
pewood02
Nice lighting can really draw your eyes to a home. Small lights along the pathway or driveway, as well as some in the yard against trees and the front of the house itself.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 2:26PM
mammaam
proper lighting and plants
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 3:10PM
vweingarten
Our front garden continues to be a work in progress. After 35 years it has grown and changed beyond recognition. I do most of the work in the front, planning, planting, mulching, weeding etc. my husband does the backyard. That way no arguments and I get to go ' shopping' in his area! He has built all the fencing and put in the hardscape, so we make a great team
4 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 4:32PM
jon76
Outdoor lighting makes the home and yard serene and inviting.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 5:20PM
Aunt Lou Kuhns
I love something blooming at all times.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 5:27PM
Elizabeth Bolton - ReMax Destiny
A beautiful tree. They take so long to grow - start as early as you can if you have to grow your own! I've lost track of how old the maple is I put in in my front yard - five years? seven? I'm not sure. This is it in 2011. I love watching it grow and was psyched when it got its first birds' nest.
7 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 6:06PM
jbanksmott
I love the way plants can tell a story in your yard, changing color, growing, coming and going, or remaining ever constant, framing a scene. Our landscaping surprises me every day.
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 6:44PM
Lee Anne Bailey
My dream!! Got to plant some flowers! Needs color! And,,,,,picnic table!
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 6:55PM
okdokegal
Well tended, neat looking, healthy landscaping that compliments things.

Don't put anything out for decorations that you aren't willing to remove to mow and put back. The one decorating should be the one that HAS to mow it.

Overgrown derelict stuff with burned out grass and rampant weeds just doesn't cut it.

A clear place/space/way for people to approach your house and where they should go (which door) and clearly marked with house numbers.

Low maintenance for me...
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 7:29PM
marjie1059
Plants...more plants....more plants.....
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 8:56PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Good lighting & landscaping with a balance of trees, plants & flowers & rocks. With a fence around it!!!
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 10:07PM
Helen Hart
The beauty and randomness of the natural grasses and prairie flowers then you get to the yard and there are daisies, peonies, cannas, lillies an apple tree ( I had millions of blossums last year and millions of apples) and shade to pick a spot, any spot, to sit and sip coffee, ice tea. We had 50 degree weather here Feb. 18, '14 and I had my coffee break outside sitting on our picnic table. Granted it wasn't a scene from a lush garden spot but it was my spot, I can watch our horses, the dogs run amuk and squeaking sparrows getting ready for spring. Which reminds me we need more bird seed!
3 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 7:57AM
kyekee
Love the fence...bit of a cottage feel!
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 8:50AM
dogmom5
Landscaping does it for me. We have spring flowering shrubs on both sides of the front door and have added rose bushes, butterfly bushes & some perennials along the front of the house too. I think shrubs & flowers say "welcome". I love the look of white picket fences.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 9:17AM
Jillian
A beautifully lit entry and landscape gets me every time, always makes me think classy people must live there! :)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:58AM
sunnie2day
I live in Scotland now but was raised in the Desert SouthWest, and spent a lot of my adult life in the US Deep South - for me, nothing makes a 'front yard' more than a deep, wide, wraparound veranda furnished with lovely white ladder-back rockers and high gloss white wicker. Come on, you know I'm right - nothing says 'Welcome' better than the sight of a lovely 'front porch'!
4 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:45PM
Patricia Aytes
Plants and lighting would add so much to this house. Plants for form and color and lights to show off the plants and house and add security.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 2:38PM
Thos. Baker
Landscape Lighting brings a sense of drama and elegance you just can't beat at any price.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 2:49PM
Hallway 2 Marketing
Of course depending on the price point of the home, unique lighting and enhancements truly is a favorite of mine. For homes which may be a bit more modest in overall value, the curb appeal of colors with the aid of flowers and landscaping can make a world of difference.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 4:28PM
gracelandscaping
Every front yard needs a wide welcoming path so there is no question how to get to the front door. Then as you are walking along it you can enjoy the lights, the fence, the wonderful plants and everything else that contributes to a beautiful entry.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 6:29PM
grobby
For me it'a all about having a visible front door that says " welcome " and gorgeous ,well cared for flowers and lawn that makes one stop and smile.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 9:35PM
Lloyd
I like gardens with plenty of ground cover flowers!
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:25PM
kathleen MK
Lots of flowering plants especially perennials. It is sparse after this winter but the daffodils are breaking through leaf mulch and soon it will be roses, azaleas herbs and flowers scenting the path to our door.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:33PM
Thos. Baker
A beautifully manicured lawn. It's even more appealing when the hedges and gardens are manicured as well. When homeowners take pride in the appearance and health of their lawn, it gives me a good feeling inside. The sound of lawn mowers on a warm spring day and the smell of freshly cut grass in the air makes me feel that all is good and right with the world. It's a patriotic feeling. I could drive around for hours admiring neighborhoods and homes with beautifully manicured lawns.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:00PM
pattigut
Landscaping that looks nice all year long is what I go for; grooming and spreading new mulch is a must each spring...
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 4:39AM
happyasaclam
Wow, army! Just look at all that glorious green grass! Our yard is still brown, except for the weeds.........
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:50AM
beener74
Definitely a hang out spot. It's a great place to hang out and chill with your friends. Having the right place that brings in enough sun.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:51AM
Mark Bischak, Architect
A path. A path that orchestrates the visitor's experience of the architecture.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:54AM
studio10001
Hardscaping. Defines and directs.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 10:12AM
suzieq1984
M. N.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 12:49PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
What is "M. N." ?
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 1:53PM
ericafunnn
I my opinion, what makes a great front yard Is one that has a hangout spot. This is because many family memories can be made there and you can spend your time outside comfortably outside of your home.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 2:17PM
pkoko624
I actually voted for lighting but realized you can only appreciate that at night. So I think what would be most important at any time is a hangout spot.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 6:42PM
suzanne_m
I voted lighting but I must say it is all great ideas and hard to choose.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:56PM
Sowden Building Solutions
It's a hard one between lighting and garden - but what ever garden you have in the front yard you are not going to see it with out proper lighting.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 9:39PM
ProSource Wholesale Floorcovering
I love the tree in front of my home in full bloom it's perfect to sit under on our lawn chairs in change of season it turns the prettiest yellow. Here the leaves are almost gone but still you see nature in its finest :)
3 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 9:48PM
Ryan Basinger
Trees! Sprawling oaks or maples if there is room.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 6:50AM
Hometec Architecture
3 things make an appealing front yard in my book: Large tree for shade, large porch for relaxing and conversation and abundant plants that are a little wild.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 6:19PM
Donna
A neighbors escaped pot belly pig eating our fallen crab apples.
2 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:27PM
Donna
Oh forgot my favorite choice,a fence is so enchanting but might have kept the pot belly pig out and all the fun and surprise of looking out the window and seeing this funny sight.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:33PM
alohagirl007
Plantings in an enclosure that makes the front yard usable as a great hang-out spot.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 9:51PM
kabula
I think a front yard should have proper lighting and also neat flower beds ,am creeped out easily by messy looking flower gardens especially at night.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 3:37AM
mathomson5
Lighting -- our neighborhood lacks street lights, but we all have "five over four (windows) and a door" Federal style brick homes -- each one different. Some would call them center hall colonials but that is a stretch -- they are must neo-whatevers. The carriage lights on posts along our sidewalks lead from our side loading garage, across the front of the garage to the front door. These lights all turn on when the sun goes down -- and we also all have two spotlights at the four corners and garages of our houses, and front porch lights, one centered and two side. On holiday evenings -- Hallowe'en, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, etc. -- some of us light up our houses with all of these choices. My second choice was plants. Plants show pride of ownership and enhance the beauty of the buildings they frame. Energy conservation is an added plus, as well as providing wildlife habitat. I really could live without my lights -- but not my plants.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 6:52AM
printesa
I picked plants, but it's a combination of plants, lighting, trees, and some hardscaping.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 6:56AM
EasyTurf
Definitely enjoy watching life go by as I hang out on my front porch and gaze out over the lawn ... I love sitting outside in the fresh air and slowing the pace of life a bit.
2 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 8:28AM
irina92
I would say that a beautiful lawn with a few trees a proper lighting are the top features in a front yard.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 6:22PM
P Lafuente
A great hangout spot is a fun way to meet new and old neighbors.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 9:09PM
micstamper
Landscaping really makes the yard.....especially during the summer when flowers are blooming!
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 9:56PM
Diane Kremer, ASID CID
Love the picket fence with an open gate..very inviting!
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 10:22PM
toriella24
Plants and more plants make the yard look full and add a uniqueness to it!
0 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 4:26PM
tkejbou
Although I chose plants and more plants I really also like the hangout area as well
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 7:21AM
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to Kelsey Ejzak for winning her own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this poll, you still have a few days to get your comments into our Window Trim poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/862282/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--What-s
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 10:57AM
gingerperth1
I'd like to have an attractive edible front garden that produces lots of organic food. I'd include fruit and nut trees, perennials, herbs, raised beds for salads, and fruiting climbers on trellises and as bowers, with wood bark paths or old brick paving with mosaic seating. There'd be a strip out front near the footpath that invites the public to help themselves to herbs and edible wild plants (all labeled with their names). If I couldn't look after this productive garden by myself, I'd employ a local organic farmer to plant and maintain it as a pretty urban farm and share the harvest with her/him (as well as with neighbours). Not only would this front garden be much nicer than massive lawns, it would save a lot on lawn-care costs and contribute to the household food budget with super-fresh organic food.
2 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 3:46PM
marjie1059
ginger: make sure you live next to me, please...let me know when you plan on moving. :)
2 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 7:37PM
linenlatte
We begin on May 1st (we are in the Northeast) and spend the month of May cleaning our property...raking, getting rid of winter debris, etc. We then edge the beds, plant the annuals, mulch, etc. On Memorial Day, we hang our flag...and position the spotlight so that the "sweet spot" of the light focuses on the area of the flag where the blue and stars meets the red and white...it is solemn and beautiful...we have even had town government officials write us a letter to remark how beautiful the flag looks and for flying it so proudly. It is a lot of work, but the rewards are many!!
2 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 3:37AM
POLL: What is your yard like?
What is the current state of affairs for your own backyard?...
Front yard landscaping and whatever else will make this look great
Hey guys, Bought this house a couple of years ago...
christofu
Please make suggestions for the front yard landscape.
this is a 43 yr. old house we have re-done inside....
pupin
POLL: What color is your front door?
Let's talk about you! The color you choose to paint...
Houzz Polls
Seating Suggestions Needed in Living Room
Need ideas for seating options to across from the sofa...
Peter
Dining room design - continued
Hey everyone! Happy holidays! You guys have been great...
immunigirl
What style chairs would go with this antique table?
I'm having this claw foot table restored, it was my...
Tania Summers
Kitchen cabinet knobs
What kind of knobs do you suggest for my kitchen cabinets? The...
mytime001
spencerbetz