Size of moldings
irenebFebruary 19, 2014
Hi there, we need help in deciding the size of base moldings for 9 ft ceilings with 8 ft doors. Is a 5 1/2 crown appropriate, or can we go to 6 1/2? Is a 7 inch base appropriate? Is that a correct ratio or just personal preference? Thanks!!
hayleydaniels
I don't know what the rules are, but I'd go with what I thought looked best in achieving the look I was after. Do the same--it's your house.....
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:31AM
A.C.T. Builders, LLC.
From My experience it typically comes down to personal preference and what you like. In this case it think that the crown molding size will need to be determined by the size of your door trim and the style of your home. If you are using a smaller door trim it will allow for you to use a larger crown as it ail not appear to be encroaching down on the door trim. If you are using a multi piece door head that will extend up a long ways above the door them the smaller would be a better look in my opinion. As far as the base boards go, with 8' doors you can go just about as tall as you would like. I would really go with what you like the look of in this situation.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:35AM
citrusquilts
A taller baseboard will look much better.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:38AM
Charles Ross Homes
Hi,

I agree that the size and style of molding is a matter of personal preference. In general, larger rooms and rooms with higher ceilings generally call for larger molding and/or multi-piece moldings such as 2-pc. crown. In our custom homes, after drywall installation is complete, we make "mock-ups" of the moldings we propose to use and tack them up so our client can see them in the space before finalizing their selection. If you can get a 2 to 3 ft long sample of the crown, base and casings you are considering, you can do the same.

Best wishes for a successful project.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:56AM
dclostboy
Personal preference, but wall height permits larger crowns...this is 12" on a 10.5 foot wall. I found it made the room much warmer and cozier.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:58AM
Lisa Diaz
what size crown molding to do you use on kitchen cabinets ?
Our cabinets do not go to the ceiling so not sure how...
cdawn
What size is crown mold?
What size is the crown mold or is it multiple pieces?...
tp_rdh
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
What color kitchen cabinets look best with black appliances?
I have all black appliances -- frig, stove, microwave,...
fiskelove
Need help for my DR
I don't know what to add to this wall in my DR, two...
margasanchez
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Need help picking out 2 beige paint colours for the basement.
So, we are moving into a house this weekend and we...
13frogs