Size of moldings
irenebFebruary 19, 2014
Hi there, we need help in deciding the size of base moldings for 9 ft ceilings with 8 ft doors. Is a 5 1/2 crown appropriate, or can we go to 6 1/2? Is a 7 inch base appropriate? Is that a correct ratio or just personal preference? Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hayleydaniels
I don't know what the rules are, but I'd go with what I thought looked best in achieving the look I was after. Do the same--it's your house.....
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:31AM
PRO
A.C.T. Builders, LLC.
From My experience it typically comes down to personal preference and what you like. In this case it think that the crown molding size will need to be determined by the size of your door trim and the style of your home. If you are using a smaller door trim it will allow for you to use a larger crown as it ail not appear to be encroaching down on the door trim. If you are using a multi piece door head that will extend up a long ways above the door them the smaller would be a better look in my opinion. As far as the base boards go, with 8' doors you can go just about as tall as you would like. I would really go with what you like the look of in this situation.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:35AM
PRO
citrusquilts
A taller baseboard will look much better.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:38AM
PRO
Charles Ross Homes
Hi,

I agree that the size and style of molding is a matter of personal preference. In general, larger rooms and rooms with higher ceilings generally call for larger molding and/or multi-piece moldings such as 2-pc. crown. In our custom homes, after drywall installation is complete, we make "mock-ups" of the moldings we propose to use and tack them up so our client can see them in the space before finalizing their selection. If you can get a 2 to 3 ft long sample of the crown, base and casings you are considering, you can do the same.

Best wishes for a successful project.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:56AM
dclostboy
Personal preference, but wall height permits larger crowns...this is 12" on a 10.5 foot wall. I found it made the room much warmer and cozier.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:58AM