Need design help for my bedroom!

moediggsFebruary 19, 2014
This is my bedroom (excuse my boyfriend in one of the pics!). I have a black and white chevron rug, all black furniture and just painted the walls Bermuda Blue (Benjamin Moore)- it is very dark so have been adding small white accents to the room. I have since put a white duvet and curtains up but am not in love with them. I have a raspberry colored chair and black and white, gold and purple accent pillows. I unfortunately have no overhead light so the room always appears soooo dark. Any thoughts on lighting solutions? (I cannot channel the ceiling). I was thinking maybe a large arc floor lamp? Also should I put more patterns into the curtains and bed duvet? Any thoughts on wall hangings or paintings? Thank you!!
Warner Decor
What a beautiful area! Here is a suggestion for lighting:

http://deciture.com/shop/lighting/7/phillips-arch-floor-lamp/
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 11:31AM
citrusquilts
Not liking the blue walls. Can it be repainted? Love the rug. I think the white comforter would look great with a quilt. I have a quilt on etsy.com in all shades of pink, esp. Raspberry pink that will complement the pillow and chair beautifully. Btw, if you can repaint, I,d suggest white.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 11:37AM
citrusquilts
Here is the quilt
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 11:38AM
John
I think this looks just fine as is. But perhaps you'd like a bed that is not such heavy wood (for example, one in which the baseboard is further up off the floor)? Also I'd suggest reorienting the rug so that the shape flows along with the bed; that is, the long side of the rug is pointed the same direction as the long side of the bed.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 11:40AM
moediggs
Do you think I could salvage at least one blue wall (behind the bed) and do the rest a light gray? The walls were originally white and were driving me crazy! Could not see attachment of quilt.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 11:41AM
moediggs
I don't think we will really be able to replace the bed anytime soon. I also think we tried to have the rug run the opposite way but it was too long and went from wall to wall. Directly in front of the bed is a dresser with a TV mounted above it.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 11:44AM
citrusquilts
Yes, leave one wall blue and the rest in a light blue or bluish grey. Don't bring in too many colors, or it won't work. Am attaching the quilt again.
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 12:18PM
citrusquilts
Don't know why pics don't attach. See it in my store, citrusquilts, on etsy.com its a beautiful modern quilts in all shades of pink on a white background
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 12:20PM
moediggs
Your quilts are gorgeous! Thank you for the suggestion. I'm so unsure at this point. I may just scrap the blue all together and go with a light gray. I always wanted to wall paper an accent wall so maybe I will try that behind the bed instead. Ugggh the thought of painting again, esp over this dark color! :(
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 12:41PM
moediggs
I have to take a better pic when I am home bc I have also added a large white table lamp. I am thinking of also doing white cordless blinds in here. I am not loving the curtains and only did the white to brighten the room. The duvet has slight pickups here and there which give it a nice texture. I also have a mustard faux fur blanket on the raspberry chair which matches the mustard gold pillows I have on the bed (the attached pic is pretty dark so you are not getting the true colors of the throw pillows)
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 1:36PM
citrusquilts
Thanks for the compliment! Why not leave one wall blue and see how you like it. If you don't, paint it a darker grey. Don't put wall paper!!! Will look dated, busy and you won't be happy with it.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 1:36PM
calidesign
I like all your choices, except the wall color, which you have good suggestions for above. I think the white drapes were a good idea, but they should extend past the window to include the whole alcove area.
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 1:43PM
moediggs
Wall paper has always been interesting but scary to me!!!
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 1:45PM
moediggs
Calidesign: do you think my thoughts on keeping one blue wall are OK or should I scrap it all and just go with a nice light gray? I think the black and white chevron would still go really nicely. Only issue is I would prob need to play up the chair color more (which I'm not against) or reupholster the chair, which might be interesting too.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 1:54PM
karemore55
Hi moediggs (again!), I'm notmsuremhow much pattern you can handle, but I would love to see the bedding bring in most or all of the colors,you already have in the room - so that would be the blue, raspberry, mustard and black. Have you looked at Urban Outfitters? They have the wildest and most stunning color combinations! Will post an example below of a possible combination, but if this isn't your taste, have a look at their website and see if anything inspires you.

If you don't want such wild color, just keeping the white duvet works too, as long as you can find just one bed pillow that carries all the colors in the room. This will tie it all together nicely too. You could maybe place a grey colored throw at the foot of the bed to soften the white a bit. And the curtains I am posting (not for privacy - just as stationary panels - would work with the white duvet because they will help bring that raspberry chair into the decor.

You are doing great -'just some tweaking is required - you are almost there! And I think the white lamp will look stunning against the blue wall. If you have a way to bring in so e warm brass or gold tones, maybe in an accessory or two on the dresser, this will add a little bling to the room.
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 2:07PM
Craig CraigMDesigns
The blue is very dramatic looks great with the white comforter. I think theHollywood Regency Style would work best with what you have going. Really need some big white drapes with some black trim , and hang them from the ceiling to floor to brighten up the room. Mirrored lamps with white shades and some mirrored accents like a box or a vase. Keep it sexy and dramatic.
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 19, 2014 at 11:01PM
Mark
I really like the blue. I think orange and the pink are a good combination, so I would add pink pillows to the bed to tie in your pink chair. Perhaps even a pink or orange throw at the end of the bed.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 20, 2014 at 12:26AM
saratogaswizzlestick
Since you are putting navy in your dining room how about something different for your bedroom? A black accent wall behind your headboard and the same cream color in your rug for the other walls. That is dramatic yet serene and your raspberry chair will really pop.
    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 20, 2014 at 4:17AM
moediggs
Craigmdesign/mark/Saratogaswizzlestick I do love the blue too to be honest! Like I said the lighting has just been an issue so I am hoping once I add a large floor lamp (bc my ceilings cannot be channeled) I think it will help. It's nice in the morning with natural light but so dark at night. I have been adding white accents here and there like my lamp and good luck elephant! Def think I need something bright on the walls to tie it all in (black and white or raspberry to pull in the chair?). I also kind of love the gold pillows on the bed and have this throw that kind of ties that together. Prob need better pillows on the bed tho and to change the curtains as suggested.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 5:08AM
moediggs
That last pic of the room is a bit filtered bc of my issues with lighting.

Saratogaswizzlestick I also do like your idea of the bold contrasts. I do have a black headboard now and all black furniture. I think I really need to get the lightening situated and see if the blue will work at all or if I should start again. I really was going for the bold/ look in here. As craigmdesign mentioned that Hollywood regency style. I should prob be embarrassed to say this but I took some ideas from kourtney kardashians's bold colors and prints in a spread I saw of her house. I really love the hotel line too and was tempted to maybe introduce some of that into the room
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 5:12AM
moediggs
Also I realize the curtains are not as high up as they should be and there is not rid in the middle to prevent them from bending. That needs to be redone.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 5:14AM
moediggs
Like I said I also wouldn't be against trying to reupholster the chair of need be. I had it in the foyer of my old apt that had aqua blue walls and couldn't barely to throw it out.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 5:15AM
saratogaswizzlestick
I actually like the blue too and love the raspberry chair, I was trying to work with your other spread. Can you take a picture from the foot of the bed? Do you have two night stands? The lamp seems about a foot too short. For now put a stack of books under it to get it to the correct height. I do like white lamps for your room and that has a nice textural feel. I am not feeling the plaque and the dried flowers try removing them then please take another photo. Once you have a photo from the foot of the bed we can get a better idea about your pillows. I like the gold you have on your chair and the pillow on the bed but I think the pillows need some work.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 5:39AM
moediggs
Unfortunately I had to come to work (was really counting on hitting that Powerball!!!) but I can definitely take the pictures you asked for when I am home later. I currently have one night stand and a tall dresser on the other side that is my boyfriends. I have a long black dresser adjacent to the bed and the TV is on there now (waiting to be mounted). I agree the pillows DEF need work. I currently have two velvet purple pillows there (they are old and are just there as filler for now and do not match the raspberry) and the black and white longer pillow that I recently bought bc I though it added some texture and played well off of the chevron rug (which I LOVE- if I could do chevron everywhere I prob would!)
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 6:47AM
Craig CraigMDesigns
I think you're doing great, loving the pops of color with the chair. Z Galleries is all about the look you're doing here and has great accessories , curtains, and especially art and mirrors at great prices.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 20, 2014 at 7:37AM
moediggs
Thanks so much craigmdesign! I am going to check that out now, I've never heard of it! I feel SOOO much better about everything after talking to everyone on here. And the thought of not having to repaint has me ecstatic! :) Def need to look into lighting. Do you think my thoughts of a bright arc light are on track?
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 8:11AM
Craig CraigMDesigns
How about swagging a chandelier in the corner of the room , maybe in front of the window but still in the corner about two or three feet out into the room. Trimming the white drapes with some black grosgrain ribbon vertically 2" from the edge would be swanky too. Maybe you should leave the TV sitting on the black dresser off to one side and center a mirror with a mirrored or white frame as the focal point. Perhaps changing the pulls on the black dresser would help brighten it up too.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by moediggs    February 20, 2014 at 8:46AM
moediggs
Meaning a plug in chandelier that could be put on a hook of some sorts on the ceiling? (I know I cannot 'channel' the ceiling so not sure if this also includes a hook). I thought of track lighting too but figured the cords would have to run down the wall at some point and look messy.

I have to take a pic of the opposite side of the room for you to see. My TV in the bedroom is 42' so it's rather large to have on the edge of anything. I like the idea of the large mirrored frame mirror- I have a large wall area to the left of the dresser with the TV that may be perfect. I love the look of a mirror just leaning on the wall but know my BF is not a fan.

Ugggh if only the room had an overhead light, I totally would have put a glass chandelier over the bed and called it a day! I never even noticed it when we did the walk through!!!

I like the thought of something like this but not sure if I am completely off- prob too big for my space...probably though. I feel like a nice bright light would change everything.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:02AM
karemore55
Moediggs, I came across this pillow and thought of you :)
1 Like    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 2:37PM
Need help with the design of my bedroom.
The table is in front of the door. Bed in the left...
Neel Gandhi
Need bedroom design help for my daughters new house
My daughter bought a really expensive bedroom set before...
missreneerow
Need help designing my bedroom
I need advice on how to design my bedroom. I got a...
batooali7
Need help to design my bedroom
From where can i get the traditional hanging plates...
Noora Alahmed
Need help for my boy`s bedroom new design
Hi everyone.. My Family and i recently moved to another...
andrejoe
Kitchen Help
Please help! Here is the angled bay in the kitchen....
valzie
Does this room work?
Trying to get this dining room/ small sitting room...
natanddan
Dining room decor
Hi guys, give me some ideas on decorating my dining...
sham814
Family Room Help
Need help with furniture placing. Also, advice on how...
gstripling
Help with deciding on cabinet hardware pease!
My cabinets are espresso and I would love to use nickel...
dgrace
Sponsored Products
Birka Rounds
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Antique Brass One-Light 29.5-Inch Accent Table Lamp
$720.10 | Bellacor
California King 600TC Avery Fitted Sheet - VANILLA
$129.90 | Horchow
Finley Headboard - Merlot - RN1139
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Naomi Patchwork Cotton 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Scalloped Flat Sheet (Light Blue) - Queen
Crane and Canopy
Homey Orange Wallpaper R1032, double roll
Walls Republic
Pan Flushmount by SONNEMAN Lighting
$190.00 | Lumens