Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esterling

boy do we need help with the bumpout!

esterling
10 years ago
We are planning on doing some much needed renovations, one of which is a two story bump out (left side of the picture). The bottom floor will be the expanded living room and the top the extended master. The master is the reason we are extending. Its TINY with no closet space and a pathetic bathroom. In order to do what we need with the top, we need to bump out the space 10 feet (only 6 will go to our bedroom, we are moving an interior wall and giving our daughter a much needed 4 feet of space). So the extension is necessary in our opinion. My problem is this. A bump out 10' - do you think that looks too "heavy" and "extension-like?" The bottom will basically be a wall of windows and doors going out to our patio, but I want some interest here and I do not want it to be one large flat surface. I have seen some bump outs that have roofs or overhangs on the bottom, and then a balcony at the top. What about the right hand side of the picture, should we add something there to balance? The middle part (the kitchen) will get a nice long bank of shed dormers.... Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Denita
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Do you have plans drawn at all or are you at the very beginning research stage? If you have a plan, please load up a jpeg of it so we can help.
    If you don't have a plan, are you looking for basic ideas to bring to an architect?
    esterling thanked Denita
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We do have plans (somewhere - I will have to try to find them and upload) - but we are essentially "starting over." I did not like what the architect came up with (too "extension - like).
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Keen Planner - actually, this is an older picture, our landscaping looks great now! Although its still dirt about 12' away from our house (to make room for a patio) we added some retaining walls and some lovely trees/plants. I would show you, but we are covered in about a foot of snow! :)
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 years ago
    So, this picture above is how the house looks now..if there were no snow. Is that true? So you would be removing the glass room and then adding on a 10' 2 story extension to the back. Is that true? Or are you adding onto the far left side of the house?
    esterling thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ugh. I am sorry. I was rushing when I wrote this. Yes. This looks about right EXCEPT the better landscaping, and there is no weird class room (we called it the mold room - it was there when we bought the house - NOT to code!). Also not there now is the picnic table and the random potted plant. :).
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes. so glass room gone...adding the two-story addition there. We have no plans to add to the other side (the right side of the picture as you look at it), but I feel like maybe we ought to consider. For balance?
  • PRO
    MFW Construction
    10 years ago
    consider making the upstairs larger or smaller than the floor below, or break up the floors with a small roof line somewhat like what was above the glass room, but continuous around the side also.
    esterling thanked MFW Construction
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes! Love that! I was thinking that as well.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 years ago
    As long as you will be going out the back, I think proportional it will look just fine. As you have casement or slider windows on the other 2 sections of the house, be sure to use those same type of windows maybe larger. But be sure to continue that window look. Draw plans on graph paper as YOU would like to see each room and how YOU would attach it to the house. THEN take all this to a few builders to start and see what they say. I think you will have a better idea as to what to do next, such as an architect, should you need one.
    esterling thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    I like bringing in an architect pretty early because the architect can look at it as a "whole" rather than just a bump out. That way the house ends up being more cohesive if you have a good architect. Too many additions do look like additions if an architect isn't brought in early enough. IMHO. Please make sure you permit the addition. I'm a Realtor and you wouldn't believe the number of additions or conversions I have seen without permits which has a huge negative effect on market value.
    esterling thanked Denita
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes. I agree totally with the permit. Even just disrupting the land we had to go through that process. Its a great reminder! You are right about the architect. The problem is the expense. I do realize it is worth it in the end. We hired one that was "meh" (he was OK, but didn't "get" us) but it cost us a fortune! So, maybe once bitten twice shy. My husband is an engineer (who is also incredibly artistic) and I appreciate design so I thought maybe we could do this on our own. I may be wrong.....
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Graph paper....brilliant!
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    I do agree with going into the architect with a 'plan' of your own and a list of questions. That is where Houzz is great. If you put something on paper, the experts here, including architects, give great feedback on realistic sizes, locations etc.

Plus not all architects are the same - by any stretch. You need to find one, after you have figured out your 'must haves' and 'like to haves' and budget that you can communicate with effectively. Remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    " I may be wrong.....". I will bet you are right in saying that. Search for an architect that will understand your concerns. The right architect will do wonders.
  • esterling
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your comments -decided we will go for an architect. Did anyone have any other ideas on how to make it look good? I know this is about my aesthetic, but you wise folks always have such great ideas!
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!