I need some help, please. I’ve tried to do this myself : < (
Many of you know how to use the apps that can change the appearance of homes. I would love to see this house with the bays gone and replaced with single windows, maybe two on each side of the front door.

The far side with two singles is the attached garage. Those can be changed also, if that would make the front look better.

Interested in just plain white for the front, but again, open for suggestions.

Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated, but I need the pictures to give the builder. Thanks for helping me.
happyasaclam
You need groveraxle to come and help you! :)
February 20, 2014 at 7:12am        Thanked by JudyG Designs
Thanks happy. I looked for a message box on grover’s page, but there wasn’t one.

Calling grover !!!
February 20, 2014 at 7:19am     
happyasaclam
Are you following her? She should pick you up on her feed, I think. :)
February 20, 2014 at 7:23am      Thanked by JudyG Designs
Thanks for the tip.
February 20, 2014 at 7:26am     
happyasaclam
Grover! Come and help JudyG! I just realized I bumped your shout out off of the feed! :)
February 20, 2014 at 7:27am      Thanked by JudyG Designs
GN Builders L.L.C
I hope this helps Judy
February 20, 2014 at 7:40am      Thanked by JudyG Designs
Like this?
February 21, 2014 at 2:08pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
I love you, groveraxle! And so will my builder. Thank you so much. May I ask one more favor? Could you make the front all white with no shutters? Front door a dark brown?

I tried and tried to do this myself…what a mess I made.
February 21, 2014 at 2:18pm     
m3459
JudyG said, "I love you, groveraxle!" Don't we all??!
February 21, 2014 at 2:36pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
You've just removed all character from the house, but your wish is my command.
February 21, 2014 at 2:54pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
jessegee
So clever how you do that!
February 21, 2014 at 2:57pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
Groveraxel to the rescue! I agree with her all white no shutters strips the house of all it's personality. Even if the lawn was green it still wouldn't work.
February 21, 2014 at 3:40pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
Cancork Floor Inc.
To go "white" I think you would do well by painting the shutters a light gray AND changing out the roof to a lighter gray (get the shutters to match the roof). Those two things TOGETHER will allow you to pull-off the "white" house. But that's just me.
February 21, 2014 at 4:00pm      Thanked by JudyG Designs
Groveraxle to my rescue. Taking off the bay windows is my main concern. Painting it white, is just so in keeping with my location.
Cape Cod Whole House Renovation Crooked Cottage Charm Featured in Maine Home & Design
I appreciate everyone’s comments. Keep them coming.
February 21, 2014 at 5:00pm     
Happy, thanks, too.
February 21, 2014 at 5:04pm     
licksch
You will have substantially less light reducing the bays to a single window. What about ganging two or three...I replaced an old bay at my place; see picture
February 21, 2014 at 5:42pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
newman1958
May I suggest a roof added to cover the front stoop.
February 21, 2014 at 5:50pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
licksch, thanks, a good possibility. I think I have the wall space and it would bring in more light. The front of the house faces north.

The picture is of the side of your home or the original front? Is the house Greek Revival style?
February 21, 2014 at 5:56pm   
newman1958, I could use some kind of entry area. Not sure how that is done, but will ask my builder. Thanks.
February 21, 2014 at 5:57pm   
Denita
Nice vision JudyG! Looks like you got the house :)
February 21, 2014 at 5:59pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
janiehburton
Keep the bay windows! Paint the house a dark gray. Keep the trim white and add color to the shutters - a lighter gray than the house color or a deep wine would look good. Above all, invest in new landscaping around the foundation of your home - adding new foundation plantings is key! Then enjoy the new pulled together look - it will look fantastic!
February 21, 2014 at 6:02pm      Thanked by JudyG Designs
Denita, hi, yes. The house is our down-size. Pictures of my present house are on my page. We built it 6 years ago and love it, but time flies and we need smaller and I am bored and need a project. Grover was such a help removing the bays which are not my style and now all the other suggestions make it even more exciting.

Two pieces of furniture must come with us. Sofas which I love.
February 21, 2014 at 6:04pm     
sunnydrew
Nice job with the "new windows" I agree with a cover over the front door and maybe a couple real or fake dormer windows on the second floor.
February 21, 2014 at 6:08pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
happyasaclam
You're welcome JudyG! Congrats on the new home!
February 21, 2014 at 6:09pm      Thanked by JudyG Designs
Denita
Love your home, just my style :) I understand downsizing though...doing the same thing myself.
February 21, 2014 at 6:15pm      Thanked by JudyG Designs
saratogaswizzlestick
I love Cape Cod I go to Chatham all the time. I don't love the white houses in your inspiration photos either. How about something with a little more exuberance? Some hydrangeas would be great too. What a wonderful place to downside, lots of fun antique stores too.
February 21, 2014 at 6:18pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
m3459
Judy G, thanks for sharing your inspiration. You are well on your way. Keep us posted, please....I love other's projects!!!
February 21, 2014 at 7:36pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
grobby
Can't wait to see the remodel. Your ideas for other posters are always helpful. Have fun.
February 21, 2014 at 9:46pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
saratogaswizzlestick, a couple of your pictures look familiar. I know Chatham well. I walk the loop every Sunday. My present house is just down the street from Wequassett and we keep the boat in Ryder’s Cove. I have been here all my life (summers) and we retired here full time 15 years ago. Love it!
February 22, 2014 at 11:23am     
Thanks you every one for your help and comments. I’ll post some before and afters.
February 22, 2014 at 11:24am     
yvonnecmartin
I love bay windows and wonder why you want to remove them. How would the proposed new windows affect furniture arrangements?
February 22, 2014 at 11:29am      Thanked by JudyG Designs
licksch
No...not Greek revival...too bad...I love that style but it is not common in Nova Scotia.The house is a pitch roof style built in the 1940'3. The house has gone through a number of changes, since then, and the front "sun room" that had a bay is an addition from the 50's (which for a time also had the front entrance.) I have been replacing windows for the look you see here, with muntens in the top part of the windows. First shot is the kitchen, three single hung, ganged together. I put in two sets, like that one, one east facing, and one(first picture)south facing. Second two shots are the inside view of the replacement for the old bay; before any painting was done. You can see the wide low sill I had the builder do, for plants. Where you have such a large opening already (where your bay is) and likely have a header in place it seems a shame to totally close that opening in!
February 22, 2014 at 6:36pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
licksch
Craftsman style is what I have chosen at least for the windows. It suits the house. Below is a photo of a example of a craftsman facade with windows ganged in twos, with shutters. You would want someone to work on the proportions so the new windows would work architecturally. I agree, IMO your bay windows do not really suit the house :(
February 22, 2014 at 6:57pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
yvonnecmartin, hi,

This type of bay window is unusual for my location. If a house has one, it is usually on the back of a family room, cantilevered. with a dining table and chairs. If I drove around town, I would bet I would not see one bay window. Very traditional New England homes sporting 8/12 or 12/12 windows, so a bay is just unfamiliar to me. The house has 3, two on the front and one on the side, which is awkward, because the fireplace on the inside wall is not lined up with the bay window and I wouldn’t know how to arrange the furniture. It just feels odd.
February 22, 2014 at 7:11pm     
For a single story house this is about as exciting as it gets, but I love it.
February 22, 2014 at 7:21pm     
The house on the bottom left is on the market, not too far away from me. It is on a state highway (two lanes) called the Kings’ Highway. Cape Cod Bay is at the back of the yard. Thought you might enjoy a tour:
http://www.robertpaul.com/properties/Dennis/East-Dennis/Main-St/15195969

You can see how I am influenced.
February 22, 2014 at 7:29pm   
licksch, I like your windows. You are suggesting 3 on each side of the front door?
February 22, 2014 at 7:32pm   
face39
I like the red color, bay windows or not.
February 22, 2014 at 7:38pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
GN Builders L.L.C
Here is another few options
February 22, 2014 at 9:33pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
Congrats! The house is adorable. I like the bay windows replaced with two windows very much. I actually like shutters with the windows (right size). For the house color, how about white on white? Like a swiss coffee warm white, then bright white trim?
February 22, 2014 at 10:00pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
Congrats JudyG. The gray shingles on the end of the house make me wonder if you might most love more gray shingles, the white trim will pop and then you have options. Perhaps a soft historic yellow front door like sw bees wax? Black rustic plank shutters?
February 22, 2014 at 10:29pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
February 23, 2014 at 9:55am     
libradesigneye, yes I would prefer all shingles, as that is what we have always had in the past. Possibly by the time the builder replaces the windows, there will be little clapboard left and re-shingling the front will be an option.

I would never had thought of a yellow door, but it is a wonderful suggestion. The beeswax is very nice.
February 23, 2014 at 10:00am     
Denita, you are so encouraging!
February 23, 2014 at 10:08am     
Denita
:) Love the house. I like the white on white and the yellow is an unexpected pleasant surprise.
February 23, 2014 at 10:10am        Thanked by JudyG Designs
GN Builders L.L.C
IMO being in a wooded area, white will be constant maintenance to keep the siding clean of pollen, etc. Not to mention it just looks to white and out of place in its setting.
February 23, 2014 at 11:12am      Thanked by JudyG Designs
licksch
I agree with keeping white shingles clean. I have white shingles in wooded area at the back and they are a pain. The red color is nice, but I noticed on my dads place there was problems with the red not holding very well. Gray is a nice colour and the white trim would look good with it. I understand the appeal of white as I grew up in New England and it's very traditional. I'm keeping my house white as it's also easier to look after when repainting.

Not suggesting any specific number, although I am guessing two with shutters might be nice. I would measure your current rough opening and take it to the place where you are window shopping. They should be able to do a computer print out of what two or three windows would look like.
February 23, 2014 at 12:30pm      Thanked by JudyG Designs
Here we sit at our computers, looking for or giving advice. Is this not the best? Those of us who share, even if it may be different opinions, we open doors to a variety of options. Thanks.
February 23, 2014 at 6:01pm     
sweetdog
Who is Grover?
February 25, 2014 at 6:56pm      Thanked by JudyG Designs
happyasaclam
sweetdog, if you haven't met grover you are truly missing out. She is a genious, a magician and the most generous of all Houzzers with her time and talents!
February 25, 2014 at 8:09pm        Thanked by JudyG Designs
February 25, 2014 at 8:11pm      Thanked by JudyG Designs
I need help with an original design for this Foyer
Because the client doesn't want a center table and...
shutter door color for front of hime
I just bought my first home. first thing I had the...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Living room decor ideas
So I finally after 5 months got a sofa for my living...