Please help me redecorate this area:)
Ann
In previous dilemmas regarding this room, pretty much everyone thought I needed to start over with this high area. I have three ideas (please read the first comments) and would appreciate your help!
Ann
Idea #1: Take EVERYTHING down and place only this antique prayer rug on the alcove wall where the clock currently is. Nothing else at all. It fills the big space nicely.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 9:52AM
Ann
Idea #2: Take everything down except the large canvas (with the leaf on it) and place a group of 4 sepia close-up nature prints in the alcove area, arranged in a square and filling a good portion of the area. Pictures like close ups of a bud, or moss on a rock, tree bark, etc. They'd be large and framed with identical frames and mats.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 9:56AM
Ann
Idea #3: Take everything down except the large leaf canvas and hang a large, real manzanita branch on the wall of the alcove. See the idea in the attached pic.
]
9 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 9:58AM
syncope
Ann, see if you can get a picture with the entire wall showing, fireplace, tv, the works. Even if the individual components are not totally clear, I think it will give everyone a better idea of proportions of everything.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 10:05AM
syncope
Should have added, floor to ceiling.
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 10:06AM
CDR Design
I am just watching for now.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 10:07AM
armygirl1987
I will just watch also because I am not sure why you are fighting taking the stuff down to see it empty. Pouting..... Definitely saying no on the rug.
4 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:36AM
armygirl1987
Could you get the same person that painted your other art to paint something to match the leaf canvas?
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:41AM
mefor
Ann, have you thought about hanging the aspen leaf photo horizontally in the niche?
I know I said it before, but I still think it looks like a kitten with a pink nose yawning, but when I turn the pic sideways, I immediately see that it's a leaf on stone. I'm not saying it to hurt your feelings, I see it every time that you post a pic with the photo in it. It makes the room look cutesy, because I truly see a kitten there. Don't be mad :)
6 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:44AM
syncope
Actually, if you did that, the clock could go where the picture is now though I really like the idea of the rug in the niche. Somehow the picture is a bit too orangey at least on my monitor.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 10:47AM
Ann
Sorry rngp - my computer choked and I had to reboot. A few more pics of the space.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 10:50AM
CDR Design
I have a comment outside the exact topic, if you don't mind.....it may help you think about things.

1)There is such architectural interest in the fireplace area that is being ignored.
2) It would be nice to minimize the tv visually.

Combine the thoughts of 1 and 2 and I am seeing an opportunity to paint the bottom a dark color, like a charcoal. The tv and the other components would "disappear."

Then, I would paint either the inset of the niche or the fireplace top portion the dark color also.

I think the art sideways in the niche is a possibility.

If you used the manzanita branch, keep in mind that it would stand out more against a dark color as in the photo you showed above. Alternatively, if it were used against a light background, the branch itself could easily be painted a dark color to make it more dramatic.

I also think the tv would be better on a solid stand (you'll probably say you had that stand made just for that space!)
8 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:54AM
CDR Design
Ann, if you don't have photoshop, you can literally print out your pictures on regular paper and cut and paste to see what you like.
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:56AM
CDR Design
photos showing how dark paint disguises a tv, so that it no longer becomes the focal point.

[houzz=Library[houzz=Sf Media Room[houzz=Home Farm 1[houzz=Bayshore Estates Custom Home]
7 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 11:02AM
Ann
Interesting Michele - I had not thought of hanging it horizontally. There is a faint signature from the photographer, but no big deal. It would be a bit small in the big space so it might need something else, but it's definitely a thought!!! Although, it does fit the vertical space well and I'm not seeing the cat:) Of course I'm not mad:) I love your suggestions - heck, I've used a ton of them:)
Angela, it's a photograph rather than a painting and the photographer now lives in Europe. He did take others during the same photo shoot, but last I looked, I didn't love any of the others. I could take another look. I'm afraid you'll have to pout cuz the stuff is staying up there until the "new" plan replaces it:):)
Rngp, I used to have a different clock (but exact same size) in the art space and it was just too small. Hubby had the same thought as your rug/clock suggestion but I reminded him we didn't like the clock in the tall vertical space. The clock will have a new home in the nearby kitchen. And, yes, the colors are interesting. The art is definitely more orange but the leaf is a good match to the brick sofa and it really does work in the room. The rug has brick reds and light oranges and its colors work very well also, but not with the leaf art, of course. The rug pictures are looking more pink than the rug looks in person. Anyway, the colors of the art and rug are definitely different but both work in the room (without the other one).
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:08AM
Ann
CDR, the need to paint the whole house is quickly approaching and I'll definitely consider some of the darker areas you suggested. I've already been giving that a little bit of thought and will really explore it when we get ready to paint. Yep, as you guessed, the TV stand definitely stays:)
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:13AM
LB Interiors
I agree that I would not take everything down from the niche. I too, would rather have something there than bare : ) I think by now, you don't have much trouble with envisioning what might work if you found a great possibility.

I like #3 , a sculpture or branches or large leaves.
Since you don't want to spend a lot ... Manzanita branches can get quite pricey for the size you need.

As I suggested on the other thread, get some large irregular branches from your own trees in your yard. I would then spray paint them dark brown or charcoal or dark gray. Darker than the wall color. Gray will complement your other grays in the room but will not be the focal point of the FP art and the niche. The art stays focal because of it's colors. Black might be too harsh. Place two or three different branches together to appear as one large sculpture.

Or ... take some of your branches or bamboo that you already have. Spray them brown or dark gray or charcoal. I would choose the branches or bamboo that is beefier rather than sticks.
Spray paint them in gray or charcoal or brown. Maybe use a warmer brown or warm color seen in the leaf art. Maybe a warm orangey undertone.

2nd choice would be #2. Use 4 sepia photographs. You will spend more money with this option due to the cost of the framing.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 11:14AM
lrm1
Now all I can see is a yawning kitten...LOL
5 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:14AM
armygirl1987
Pouting. LOL.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 11:20AM
Ann
CDR, are you talking about the option 2 - 4 square with your cut and paste comment? If I go that direction, I'll post tons of mock ups (done to scale) for discussion. My husband has some kind of software that he'd help me and I'd probably take 1000 pictures to choose from, posting my favorites from the group. It would be a very fun project for me (the wanna be photographer):)
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:21AM
LB Interiors
Another option .... If you choose to go with your own photographs in a sepia tone, you can have them reproduced on canvas and wrapped over the frame without a true frame. You could send the photos to an art company online or take to a local framing store if they have this service available.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 11:28AM
Ann
LB, I'm now resigned to the fact that this project may cost more than I hoped:) And, yes, the framing for option 2 wouldn't be inexpensive! That option 2 would be great fun for me - I'm pretty excited about my new camera and my new close up lens. I have a very nice garden with moss rocks, etc. and my daughter lives on 10 mountain acres just 15 minutes from here. Her property is breathtaking, with rock formations, enormous pines and aspens, a family of dear and even a bear and mountain lion:(
3 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:33AM
Ann
I thought of canvases for the sepia art, but thought maybe framed would be a nice contrast next to the leaf canvas art. Would canvas be a better option for the 4 square?
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:35AM
LB Interiors
I think I would continue with the frameless 4 canvases, same as the leaf art. Besides being the same canvas material. Better continuity and either would not distract from the other as they have those commonalities.
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 12:00PM
marniejo
Hi
I had followed your coffee table/rug discussion, very interesting and quite the transformation. The room looks beautiful. I like the idea of doing macro photography but think that the space would look best with something sculptural (wood, metal, or ceramic) and also fairly simplistic (single color, simple form). There is a lot going on with the wall, with tv, fireplace and other electronics... keeping it visually simplistic might be best.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 12:18PM
CDR Design
I voted for option 3 on the last post, and that is still my vote.

I think 2 areas, both with pictures are going to look odd.

As LB said, not little sticks----big stuff. Aspen branches would be appropriate since they are local to you.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 12:19PM
CDR Design
I know you are excited about your camera, but there are plenty of other places to hang your new photographs.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 12:20PM
CDR Design
Look at the photo of your wall above.

Left side black box (fp)/art above it
middle another large black box uneven with left black box
right several small black boxes

(all very prominent against white background)

above middle and right boxes numerous shappy chic items which don't tie together or with other items in new, calm, room

Beautiful art: lost in the shuffle of it all. Need calm.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 12:26PM
LB Interiors
Ann, I'm excited that you're excited about a project that you have been contemplating. I know how DIY projects feels. It will also be a project that you alone accomplished that was fun, new and exciting.

I'm currently working on a 4' x 4' 3D underwater ocean canvas. Beginning with the first stroke of paint on the canvas is the hardest. I get nervous every time I begin a new project. Once started, it all seems to take off and flow. It will be going in the Supervisor's Office of the Imaging Center at a hospital.

I will be starting a faux painting project also on Monday that is taking top priority now. Her rooms are all torn up due to a water leak, so she decided to partially remake some rooms.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 12:27PM
LB Interiors
About the black boxes. I think they can be brush painted the wall color to somewhat disappear.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 12:29PM
LB Interiors
This is an example is how the larger piece is the focal (your leaf art) of the group and the smaller ones (your sepia photos) complement and fill the space.
Lissee Interiors

This might not be the best example for a combination of art differences on a wall.
It does show the co-ordination of color how they all complement each other but are different from one another.
Entryway

This one shows how the predominant largest art (focal wall) is the largest, still complements with the other wall and works, even though they are on perpendicular walls. They could still work together on the same plane together.
Shadow Hill
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 12:44PM
Ann
Interesting points everyone! It looks like the rug idea isn't very popular. If anyone runs into grover, it would be so nice to see my original pic in this post with everything removed but the leaf art and 4 identical sized non-color pics placed in the niche in a square formation. I can definitely picture the large branch hung on the wall up there (option 3) but I don't want to rule out option 2 yet. As I said, way back when Michele suggested just art on the wall, that idea kind of resonated with me.
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 12:48PM
Ann
Thanks LB - I love the art grouping in the Shadow Hill pic - it's in my ideabook because I loved the art combo when I first saw it!
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 12:51PM
CDR Design
If you do not place your new photography in the alcove, I am sure you will find a place for it.

Best way to decide is to try. If you have 3 large vases of any kind, you can spray paint them all one color, fill with aspen branches. Art left on fp. Done.

You can always try your photography up there at a later time.

]
5 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 1:05PM
LB Interiors
Good idea CDR. I agree. I think I asked Ann on the other thread about having other things. If I remember, she doesn't have any other accessories that are large to work in the space.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 1:09PM
Ann
No, I don't have huge vases. You're seeing my biggest accessories up there already. Also, when we discussed the aspen branches in vases before, I did quite a google search for huge clear glass vases like shown in this picture and couldn't find anything that size. If I go the branch direction, I like the large manzanita (horizontally) on the wall idea. It looks like they can be ordered online pretty easily. But, I want to decide on my plan before I do it.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 1:23PM
CDR Design
Now I remember! Thanks for reminding me.
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 1:36PM
Ann
So, I took this very isolated pic of the tallest spot above my kitchen cabinets where I've used sticks (weeds - I liked the texture) to fill a vertical 6 ft spot. These weeds just came from a golf course many years ago - it was very funny - I found the biggest ones I could and strapped them onto my push cart during the round. So, I have things like this already in the house which is why I'm reluctant to use more sticks, twigs, grasses, branches, etc. I don't want to redecorate the entire house but I think I've got plenty of "earthy" decor. I've also got huge bamboo elsewhere which I think I've pictured before. I didn't picture more of the kitchen because I want to focus on the living room right now:) But, I do want you all to understand that I think the branch idea is really great (right up my alley), but I'm trying to branch out, so to speak, lol.
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 1:43PM
Ann
Just in case you're interested - the clock will probably move up here to the left of the weeds.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 1:53PM
CDR Design
Ann....makes sense about the weeds.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 2:13PM
Ann
Actually, I might just take the aspen branch idea straight from the Tartan Homes pic CDR posted and replace the weeds in this basket with aspen branches for the contrast of the aspen branches and dark basket.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:20PM
kelbelle5769
I would move the TV on the top niche and get a gas fireplace in the area where the tv is now below....paint it a great color tocompletment the other walls in the room....
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:26PM
CDR Design
I like that idea. I wouldn't add clock next to it------to much. Less is more.

That's what you get for showing us a picture of another area. LOL. (At least I didn't suggest you spend more $).
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:28PM
abbyjean
Posting to follow right now......need to read and absorb, too.......busy day you all have had!!!
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 2:30PM
Ann
While I'm on the subject of aspen branches - let's assume I go with option 2 (4 sepia pics) - Could I leave the tall orangey basket where it is and fill it with, yes, about 10 tall aspen branches so it is between the leaf art and sepia pics? Or must that basket come down too? I totally get it about the whiskey barrels, sled and basket of croquet balls, but I kind of like the glass things and the tall basket, so I'm still hoping for someone to say they might be able to stay:):)
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:33PM
CDR Design
A thought:

You like the Shadow Hill art combo.

It is bothering me that there are only 2 areas to decorate up top (fp and niche). I think it would really add if you could decorate 3 spaces, even if somewhat asymmetrically.

So, what if you did several long narrow pieces in the niche and then one long narrow piece to the left of the niche (where the barrel currently is).

I don't know what the long, narrow pieces would be. It could be your sepia prints stacked. Possibly you could do a triptych (but more than 3).

Just talking out loud here........
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:34PM
Ann
CDR - what about orangey basket with aspens on the left side and foursome of sepia prints on the right???
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:40PM
CDR Design
Possibility of basket staying, but I would highly recommend taking it down first, then see if you really need it at all.

The one problem I have is baskets tend to look "country". Glass or ceramic not.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 2:40PM
Roberta Murray Designs - Studio r
Hi Ann - I think that you should consider painting the chimney, mantel and firebox area a slightly darker shade for a little more contrast against the room color and the fireplace tile,
then I think you should reduce the amount of accessories. Keep the barrel and sled to the right and move the basket with twigs in it to that side also making a tall trio. For the new empty space think about something more modern like painting the large manzanita horizontal RED or just keep it clean with a large glass bowl or urn. Less is more but I think you are lacking a touch of color in this display. Pull the colors of your sofa and that antique rug for inspiration. Good luck
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 2:43PM
Ann
Yeah, I get that CDR. That's why I'm not showing more of the high up kitchen area. A few more very large baskets live up there:) I kind of like baskets (and all "earthy" stuff). You can get good large scale with baskets without completely breaking the bank. The good news - there are no silk plants up above the cabinets - and there were a few years ago:)
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 2:45PM
LB Interiors
If you want to use baskets, maybe spray paint them out in soft coral, orange, charcoal to work with your colors. The reddish or orange colors in the leaf art. It would help to de-country them. I agree with CDR. baskets lean country.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 2:55PM
mjmil
Ann your room has come so far and really looks lovely. I think my favorite idea is the Manzaneta branch or a sculpture like CDR posted in the last dilemma of the Contemporary/Prarie picture. Having said that I also like idea #2 which I feel your prefer. It would give you the opportunity to play with your camera and really own the project. You could always take the photos print them from home before framing and expense and try them to see if you like them in the niche. Just a thought.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 3:33PM
Lynnie
Wanted to let you know that I saw some very nice metal type vases with great designs at Anna's Linens. And they have many dried straw, wood flowers too.

Glad to be on your New thread too thanks to LB Int. Thanks! :)

Are you still thinking of Botanical Photography? Again, I will leave this for you:

Here are some great ideas to go through: http://www.urbanloftart.com/botanical-black-white-photography-wall-art-c35538.htm

Just found this and think it would look wonderful above your fireplace. Then you could put your other picture in your nitch area.

Feature Area Artwork - Hand Painted Willow Branches

The mirror with branches around it is very interesting as well.

Retail Showroom
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 4:55PM
indomom
I love the idea of at least trying the rug in the niche; I know I'm in the minority, though :(
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 5:08PM
Ann
OK, I changed my mind and it's all down except a few things so it's not entirely empty. Now, time to choose a plan.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 5:09PM
mefor
Any chance that the leaf canvas can go down with the old coffee table in the family room? The colorings were so much better together. The orange tones were good with the wood of the table, it feels too "warm" for the room now. I'd still like to see a mix of artwork, or your own photography, with the prayer rug as the focal point. Maybe treating all the separate surfaces as if it was one long gallery wall. But that's probably just me. :)
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 5:22PM
Ann
Small change to the temporary arrangement:) No, Michele, the leaf canvas will stay upstairs but there is a spot at the top of the stairs where it could go. I'm just quite undecided at this point about the whole situation. Interesting to hear a few are liking the prayer rug idea. I was thinking that idea was not popular today:)
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 5:39PM
Ann
Yet another change - realized I needed some height difference in the temp arrangement.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 5:48PM
armygirl1987
Still think that you should take everything down and then try your original idea (rug) to totally decide that it is not what you!!!!! want to do.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 6:04PM
Ann
Hanging the rug might not be an easy task Angela. I'll try to figure out if that will be the plan before I venture into that task;)
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 6:07PM
armygirl1987
No on has any computer skills to insert it for you. I hope Nancy is well have not seen her around and she would know how to do it.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 6:12PM
CDR Design
Ann congratulations on removing most of the items! You are a real trooper!

I must say it looks better already . I would recommend:
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 6:20PM
CDR Design
1 remove rest of articles
2 hang rug with a few small nails
3 remove art over fireplace and replace with nothing
4 paint upper portion of fp (left side only) and entire lower portion a darker
5 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 6:25PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Loving this discussion. All seem like great ideas... gotta love a little trial and error, haha!
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 6:27PM
CDR Design
Darker color. Charcoal, or perhaps shale blue. Leave "mantle" the lighter color.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 6:27PM
CDR Design
Army girl are you a us army vet ?
5 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 6:32PM
armygirl1987
Yes maam.
8 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 6:36PM
CDR Design
I would like to thank you for your service. I support and appreciate our military and their missions.
11 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 6:44PM
armygirl1987
CDR Design thank you so much hon. Much appreciated.
4 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 6:47PM
LB Interiors
I think the rug will not work in the niche for one main reason. It is a portrait shape. You need something that will fill a lot of the space placed in a landscape rectangle direction. The space is a horizontal rectangle. The rug is taller than it is wide.
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 6:54PM
CDR Design
I say place it landscape which will look really awesome and if the fung sheui (sp)? Gremlins come, so be it!
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 7:00PM
newman1958
The picture should be where the clock is. It is too big for the space it presently hangs in. Less is more when decorating. Groupings are not really used anymore. It's all about stand alone art.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 7:04PM
Ann
OK, so here's where I am (besides kind of grumpy since I went up and down the ladder quite a few times and I have a stupid knee that always protests). But now, I've had dinner and much needed dinner wine:) At one point, I had everything down but the canvas but thought I better choose a few more things to put back up for now because it all looked pretty weird. Was really, really missing the usefulness of the clock, so it's back for now and will definitely have to move to the kitchen when this all changes. I use it more than I thought!!! I really don't think the manzanita branch idea will work, even if it's the best idea, because of all the "earthy" stuff I already have in the house. I was very interested in the rug and darker paint idea and will continue to ponder that. I kind of thought the rug was an unpopular option today and I'm glad it's back in the running. Here is version four of the temp arrangement:):) It's just going to have to do for now, but I might take the rocks out of the little basket right now.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 8:20PM
Ann
I definitely won't hang the rug horizontally - I think it would just be wrong and the gremlins would come after me!!!!
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 8:23PM
Ann
Everything looks bright orange with my flash (and the walls look very gold) - it's not quite like that in person!
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 8:27PM
armygirl1987
Ann- I am getting confused. What is the reason for trying the same things that are already there? Isn't the idea to do something else.
3 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 8:58PM
LB Interiors
Ann, I think if you start the with the items that were there before, you will be getting comments about those. Is that what you want to do? Maybe you're getting a little off track, since you've decided to change them out with things that will work better with your new room.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 9:17PM
marniejo
So you like the clock... How about moving the clock to where the canvas is currently and then hang the canvas horizontally in the niche, with nothing else. The scale of each item will better match the space and will give you a good idea of the feel of a paired down space.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 20, 2014 at 9:23PM
Ann
This isn't meant to be the new plan:) I had decided earlier to leave it as it was until I took it down for the new plan, but ended up taking it down today thinking I could just leave it blank while I figured it all out (that was a bit of a mistake). It looked really weird so I put a few things up to "get by" for now. I want to be able to take my time with finding a good solution and as those that have participated in my dilemmas before know, sometimes that takes me several months. Having the main area of the house torn apart like that was unsettling, so a few things went back up to afford me the time to figure it all out. I'm still on track but just jumped the gun a bit today in taking things apart without a new plan in place and I needed the house to feel a bit like home again. So, don't worry, I'm moving forward but I have absolutely no clue what forward will be - lol! Prayer rug or not? Leaf art or leaf art horizontally or leaf art moved altogether? Sepia pics or not? I'm at least as confused as I was this morning (maybe more so). I'll take fresh pics in the daylight just to see if it generates any new thoughts from you all. Marniejo, I've tried a clock this size in the canvas spot years ago and it looked tiny and lost.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:02PM
Lynnie
Here I am again with my 2 cents. After looking at the picture you have over the fireplace, I am saying no to the rug. They just don't see to go together. Personally I love your idea of photographing leafs or flowers in your garden. Sepia can go with black & white. There are differing degrees of both. And what a great talking point when you have guests over.

The most interesting piece is the clock. And I would stay with that for sure. I wouldn't add a whole lot with it however. Keep it simple.

When you are putting items together, try to balance their size and shape, as it shows in this picture for an example:

1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 11:39PM
CDR Design
Ann, I find that it is very difficult for homeowners to see new possibilities, especially when they have lived with a situation for a long time. The fact that you are open-minded and want a change is very helpful, but still, it is challenging because you have lived there. We have the advantage of not having to see it everyday, so we have fresh eyes. I presume that is partly why you have posted this....to get some fresh eyes to an old situation.

For example, marniejo just mentioned switching the clock and the art. I agree that is possibility. But, you said you tried it a few years ago. As you have seen in redesigning your living room, simplicity is the way to go now. You don't need to fill every space.

That is why, when you rearrange an area, the right way is to move everything out.

You might want to look at it as if you were moving into the house for the first time.

I think you are putting yourself in a catch-22 situation: you don't want to remove the things until you make a plan, but you cannot decide on a plan until you remove the things.
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 3:38AM
CDR Design
Easiest step for you to do right now is remove all/hang fp art in niche. That is a start.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 3:40AM
Ann
OK, so it's 4:30 AM here and I was laying in bed confused:) I don't know what the outcome of my design dilemma will be but, if anyone is willing, I'd like to try something today to focus my mind and see if I can come up with at least one plan I can actually envision. It won't be all I'll consider unless a great idea comes up - in which case I'll just be do it and be done with it. So, here's today's plan, if you're game (pretty please!):
Leaf art stays where it is and with a budget of up to $1000, what else happens with the spot? For today's plan, please help me explore non-nature options - so no branches, etc. Things can can sit on the ledge or go on the wall or both. Very specific suggestions of actual things I could buy locally in Denver or things I could order would be most helpful. My camera and time is certainly an option. Anything already up there can be used or all can go (except the leaf print - preferably in its current spot - for today's discussion). I don't want to wake up Hubby right now but I think the niche is real close to 90" wide and 80" high. It's quite deep too, probably about 3 ft or more.
Any takers for today's brainstorming plan - please:)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 3:58AM
Ann
Hi CDR - we overlapped:)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 4:00AM
CDR Design
Showing inspiration....

fp dark. No decor above it. fp is the piece of [houzz=
]
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 4:01AM
CDR Design
asymmetrical fp. Sort of reminds me of yours.

]
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 4:02AM
CDR Design
You said no branches, but I think you could use very large branches, if you removed all your other "weeds" which I would recommend.

1) What about those woven, circular plates I saw to the right of the weeds in the kitchen?

They could be hung in an interesting pattern on the wall.

2) Some very large vases. 3 different sizes.
]
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 4:16AM
CDR Design
I don't know what is in the Denver area. I would recommend going somewhere that has large pottery items. I don't think you need to spend $1000.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 4:19AM
CDR Design
Just a few examples of how these rooms shine with less. Can of paint ($30) is what was used.

My mantra: "When too much is going on, nothing is going on."

houzz=Modern Farmhouse[houzz=The Sandberg Home[houzz=bay house://www.houzz.com/photos/4502936/Luxury-Condominium-transitional-living-room-other-metro]
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 5:32AM
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 5:52AM
HI Ann- I know you won't listen to me, lol, but CDR is right with the "less is more". I agree with her, and believe you should paint that niche an accent color, take down everything and the 3 large pottery pieces put up to the right side to mask the air vent. I might add some hidden lighting up there for a glow;) The leaf picture and the large vases will make sense together.
4 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:05AM
Ann
Thanks for additional suggestions!!!! Whew, I finally got some sleep. OK, these should help us discuss. Don't worry about heights - I was just using existing nails. I'll post these and then go read your comments above.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 8:24AM
Ann
Sorry, three more pics were supposed to attach above and my computer died. Here are the 3 others - did you guys think I had lost my mind? lol
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 8:53AM
Ann
It occured to me that no one would help me if I was a giant pain in the you know what and wasn't willing to "try" good suggestions. So, let's see where these pics take the discussion - hope you're still hanging in there with me:) I really like those huge vases CDR - all of them! Also, I put the basket up there in the last pic for two reasons - one, so I could measure it and we could use its size to determine how big new vases need to be and two, just in case I should use it with tall aspen branches (I know, I said no branches, but.....).
I'm coming around Margo - please hang around and help me out:) It's been a bit painful to lose my antique "junk", but I think I've finally arrived at that conclusion:)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 9:03AM
Ann
Hi Mark - please join us and help me figure out this space in my living room!! It's been quite a challenge for me and I want it to look nice!
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:04AM
marniejo
Way to be brave Ann. I think for many people (myself included) it is just easier to visualize a space while it is empty. I am loving the simplicity of all three options. If you like the layout with the clock and canvas switched, I would say lower the clock so that it is not the same height as the canvas. You could do one or two tall narrow vases with the canvas to add the much needed dimension. Would you take a picture from further away so that we can see the "bigger picture". How do you feel about the new arrangement?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:19AM
Ann
Leaf toward the bottom instead of the top - very crooked and bad pic, but just want to show all possibilities.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:20AM
CDR Design
Hi Ann. Congratulations on taking down the stuff!!

My opinion: I think the clock and the art up there compete with each other and look like 2 things lined up.

I think it would look better if

1) You painted a darker color: the fireplace bottom (all the way over including the electronics). Then painted the top just over the firebox area only, leaving the "mantle" a lighter color

2) Either:

a) Place the art over the fireplace and vases in the niche

or

b) Place the art in the niche and nothing over the fireplace
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:26AM
Ann
HI marniejo - thanks - I think I got a bit tired and grumpy yesterday - I was ready to blow the room up:) I am kind of seeing and kind of liking the possibilities here. I can't see the final result in my mind yet, but I'm kind of hopeful about at least using the canvas somewhere in the space. I'm about 50/50 on the clock and if it should stay, I had the same thought as you - tall narrow vases in that area. The clock can certainly move to the kitchen if need be. My other thought was canvas in the new spot and just vases on the mantel area with no clock. My third thought was clock and canvas in new spots with the basket (kind of where it is) filled with tall chunky aspen trunks. Margo brought up covering the white speaker, but I'm wondering if that's the best spot for vases? Maybe we'll just try to paint those next time we paint? The black speaker is a bit of a problem too. It might need to stay with a vase on it or something. Possibly it can move but that's Hubby's area and we discussed it, not coming up with any new plans at this point. Its location is best up there. And, of course accent paint colors are being suggested but that's unclear to me right now too.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:35AM
Ann
Overlapped again CDR:)
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:36AM
CDR Design
Ann.....since the art is already in the niche, can you try.....

removing the clock and placing 3 vases there. Do you have any vases you could use for now? (I did not realize there was enough depth to do that)

then I would try moving the art back to where it was and vases in the niche.

Again, to me, clock and art are too much and fight each other.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:49AM
Ann
Yeah, I'm luke warm on the clock up there so it's down for now. Basket moved to cover the speaker Margo spoke about - remember, tall chunky aspens could go in it:)
Sorry CDR, I have no tall vases so I just put this glass thing up there for size discussion sake. That part of the ledge is 10.5" deep.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 9:57AM
LB Interiors
I feel the clock is too small. there is not enough size difference between the diameter of the clock and the height of the horizontal leaf art.

Your fireplace is the wall that deserves the color, not the niche. The leaf art does work well there but the niche will become focal because of the art color. I think the niche should be a secondary focal. The niche less bright in color and items that are a bit smaller than the art .... but large items.

I would love 3 vases that CDR posted in 2-3 variations of finishes in the niche on the right of center.

I still like the leaf art above the fireplace because the color makes it the focal of the entire space.

I think you need something else besides the 3 vases in the niche on the wall itself.

FP - Leaf art above fireplace.
Niche - 3 vases right side of niche
Niche - I would use your 1 photography piece ... or ... 1 large branch (your pic smaller than leaf art) ... or ... clock? Left of center
Nothing else.

You will have an overall grouping of 5 items.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:04AM
Ann
So, I can kind of envision the basket where it is (covering the white speaker) with tall aspen trunks (a little taller than the picture height)? Then the canvas moved about 1 foot to the left of its current position? Then maybe three tall vases where the glass thing is or nothing at all above the fireplace? The vases couldn't be too modern - and I could see smoky glass or something? Thoughts:)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:09AM
Ann
Overlapped LB:)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:10AM
CDR Design
I agree with LB. Thought we would try your suggestions, Ann, since the art was already there.

So, now can we try second option, which is art back over fp. Then 3 large vases, right-oriented. I think if they are large enough, esp if they have aspen branches, you don't need anything else.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 10:12AM
CDR Design
If you agree about the vases, I think the next step is to go out and buy 3 large vases. Maybe have more than one selection in mind, so that you have options.

Then you can play around with where they go.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:15AM
LB Interiors
I love the vases from Z Gallerie. Sizes, style and color variations are perfect. I would look no further.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 10:22AM
marniejo
I found a few pics that might serve as inspiration for a painting and vase combo. If you have a Home Goods run out and buy a bunch of vases (with the intention of returning) to see what might work. I think once you create a good focal point, you won't need to worry about trying to fill the height of the wall (if that makes sense).

As for the speaker, I wouldn't worry about it. Our homes still need to have function, even though it sometimes interferes with design.

Shannon (8foot6)
Urban Organic
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:25AM
LB Interiors
I think scale will be the MOST important thing to consider when choosing vases for the niche. Short heights will not work at all. You will need from 30 - 46" on at least one of them.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 10:29AM
indomom
Am I remembering correctly that Mark is one of the technologically gifted? Would he be willing to photoshop your rug in the niche? I just want to see it one time and then I'll hush!
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:31AM
Ann
Interesting LB and I liked hearing about a possible placement for clock. Thanks, everyone! I'm feeling so much less defeated today! OK, so it looks like the canvas has hope in the space - that's very good news. I really like it in the horizontal orientation partly because the room is so tall and vertical (windows and all) and I think horizontal is a nice change. But, I love it vertically over the fireplace too. So, that's TBD. Michele, if you're watching, you were the one that suggested horizontal. Do you like it better that way? So, I'm not quite ready for an accent wall discussion quite yet, but I'd sure like to explore groupings of specific vases. Let me grab the group from Z gallerie and post a pic for discussion.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 10:36AM
rjanice
Ann, would it be possible to take out the ledge and half wall by the tv and make the mantle just around the fireplace. Then you would have a nice wall to mount your tv and small cabinet under the tv for cable box etc?
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 10:39AM
Ann
Interesting Mark - thank you! Red would be too much for me, but maybe something like charcoal could work for the paint color. Mark, is there any chance you could put this rug in my niche - It fills the niche vertically with about 6" top and bottom?
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 10:48AM
Depo SD
I really like what Mark has done with painting the niche. I think it defines the fireplace nicely. I also think CDR's suggestion to paint below the mantel a charcoal would look fabulous. MO.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 10:49AM
LB Interiors
I played around a bit.
Not to scale. Sizes may be off. colors ? Hope it gives an idea.
May need to change positiions of things but ... I tried.

1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 10:50AM
Ann
Just measured niche - it's actually 10' wide and 7' tall. Just for info.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:55AM
Ann
Mark's red wall comment disappeared - can anyone else still see it?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 10:56AM
LB Interiors
With clock

1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 10:58AM
rjanice
I liked the painting the niche but seems like it should be horizontal. The clock and painting are an the same horizontal eye line. If you turn it the other way, you would have room next to it for a nice vase.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:04AM
Depo SD
You're right Ann, it's gone.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:04AM
Ramona
10' wide and 7' tall is huge. I can't quite get a handle on that. We really need a picture of this whole wall from fireplace to corner and from top to bottom. I can understand it might be difficult to get the shot. You are a trouper. I admire your ability to absorb suggestions and try them out.

Personally, I like the rug idea. I think paint is absolutely necessary for this to come together. I really like the way surrounding the tv with dark minimizes it in many settings.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 11:19AM
CDR Design
The clock does not work in the space.

Never saw Mark's fp painted and don't see it now. I would love to see entire bottom charcoal and top (above fp only) charcoal. Would hide electronics as well as give fp credence as focal point. Also would add dimensions and show off the mantle.

I like LB's depiction with the asymmetrical branch and how it repeats the asymmetry in the art. I like that the branches are softer than just aspen branches, which may be too harsh.

Z Gallerie is in Cherry Creek SC. After yesterday, You probably need to skip yoga anyway. today. Shopping sounds like more fund to me.

We will geterdone for way less than $1000, I believe.
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:20AM
Ann
So, here are the z gallerie vases. They don't have a 3rd size which is a bit disappointing. I might be able to see them at the Denver store too. I like them.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 11:29AM
Ann
Here are some good sized mango wood vases I found on ebay. Also good size and quite a bit cheaper. Three different heights - I think it was 40, 36 and 30".
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 11:31AM
lrm1
Ann, I am not a designer, not even close! I will be posting my own dilemma soon. I am not a "vignette" person, so I wouldn't know where to begin decorating it but I have been having fun following this. You mentioned you would be willing to spend up to $1000. buying accessories. Have you considered spending that money and have the niche and shelves below it removed? you could make a real statement with the fireplace and call it a day :)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:42AM
Ann
Thanks lrm1, but I think I want to keep the niche. I just have to figure out how to decorate it:)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 11:43AM
Ann
Since scale is so important, as LB pointed out - the 3 mango wood vases are 45x9, 36x10, and 30x8. The two sizes of z gallerie vases are 45x12 and 40x16.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 11:47AM
LB Interiors
Arrangement with Sepia Photography

May need to change positiions

May need a group of 7 items here.

3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:48AM
CDR Design
Do you like the Dylan?
http://www.zgallerie.com/p-9340-dylan-vase-52h.aspx

28, 38 and 52 height

I would recommend going to Zgallerie. See if you like any vases. You have good taste. Bring home what you like. Can always return.

I don't the ink the ebay ones make as much of a statement.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:51AM
LB Interiors
Arrangement with Branches
& Darker Painted FP Wall - one shade 'darker'
- (painted a shade darker than the other walls)
as CDR mentioned

Before & After
Arrangement with Branches
Arrangement with Branches & Darker Painted FP Wall
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 11:58AM
Ann
I don't think I like the Dylan as much as the others. I sure wish z gallerie had a third size. It looks like they used to have a short fat one, but no more.
LB, I really like this latest arrangement with the 3 vases, bowl and two sepia pieces very much. What does everyone think of that arrangement?
Are most of you now feeling the canvas belongs vertically above the fireplace?
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:00PM
LB Interiors
I like the white Z gallerie Dylan one , but it is so thin, only 7" wide ? Too narrow I think ; )
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:01PM
My 2 cents. The clock and the painting = NO. Ann pick one place for the leaf painting, which ever place you like best, and then go from there. Once you make one decision, more will fall into place;) I am sorry I missed Mark's painted wall and his other comment is gone too??
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 12:06PM
Ann
Honestly, I just love that arrangement with the two sepia canvases LB! I like it so much, it almost feels like "the answer"!!!! Does anyone else feel that way?
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:07PM
Ann
OK, so maybe even more progress. Maybe the leaf canvas stays, the clock definitely goes to the kitchen and I proceed with 3 tall vases. I just had a thought - if I go with the more boring mango vases, they'd actually fit in either spot whereas the z gallerie group would have to go in the niche since the mantel isn't deep enough.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:11PM
Ann- did you check Pier I for vases?
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:14PM
CDR Design
Ann, you never know....they still might have a third oslo vase.....or maybe something that is not on the website.

I like LB's photo with the branch better than the one with the sepia prints.

If you like the overall plan, you can start with the urns and go from there.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:15PM
CDR Design
If you like the sepia setup, go for it.

The mango vases might work better for that arrangement.....less to compete with.

Either way, I would not put vases in front of the art. No need for that.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:18PM
Ann
Price comparison - 3 mango vases - $290 with no shipping and no tax. z gallerie vases - $540 plus tax and possibly shipping if not available locally. I'm OK with either, but do I want the option to place them above the fireplace? And, if I add sepia prints, more boring vases would be OK. Otherwise, maybe the interest of the z gallerie group is better, but what about the only two sizes issue?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:19PM
Ann
CDR, I wouldn't put the vases in front of the art but I wondered if I wanted the option of the art in either place (niche or mantel) with the vases in the opposite. Or, is it decided the art goes above the fireplace?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:21PM
Ann
On my way to the pier one website to check right now Margo:)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:21PM
LB Interiors
I think I would paint the FP wall a 'lighter' shade of the other wall color.
Leaf art is Focal for sure.

Arrangements with Lighter Gray FP wall
Arrangement with Light FP Wall & Sepia Photos
Arrangement with Lighter FP Wall & Branches
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:22PM
LB Interiors
No vases with the Leaf Art on the mantle : ) Keep it clean and simple.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:27PM
CDR Design
Ann, LOL, you are the decider. My vote is art over fp.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:28PM
I think you should make me the decider lol
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 12:30PM
Ann
LB, can you please do my favorite one (sepia canvases) with a charcoal above fireplace wall? I'd probably take it down to the fireplace area as CDR suggested, but that's probably too hard for rendering.
Hubby was just leaving for meeting. He really liked the sepia canvases rendering (a lot)!!!!
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:32PM
Ramona
I, too , like the sepia with the three vases and bowl. And I understand your branch reluctance perfectly.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 12:33PM
LB Interiors
Okay coming up : )
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:34PM
Ann
I'm a bit tempted to save a bit of money and order the mango vases. I sure like the 3 different heights rather than two. Are they wide enough - the the widest is 10", the most narrow is 8"? Margo, lol, what would you decide?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:35PM
Ann
Both hubby and I are a bit geometric so the sepia rendering is so appealing:)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:37PM
How about 3 Sepia art pieces and no bowl?
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:38PM
LB- can you put up 3 Sepia and show us?
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:39PM
Ann
10" in diameter isn't bad. This glass container is 9.5" in diameter.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:41PM
OK Ann, listen to yourself, twice you said you really like the Sepia and so does husband, I think you are on to a *aaah hah* moment;)
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 12:41PM
LB Interiors
I'm not sure if I like this as well as the Lighter FP Wall.
I like the Lighter Wall best : )
I think the Leaf Art ... Pops with the Lighter Wall

Lighter Gray FP Wall

Darker Charcoal FP Wall
Arrangement with Darker FP Wall and Sepia Photos
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:43PM
Maybe the 3 Sepia pieces could be put over the fireplace and the leaf picture in the niche?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:43PM
Ann
I am so grateful to you guys today. I was ready to blow up my house last night and right now I feel like we might be super close to a plan I LOVE! Seriously, I might have to have a celebration glass of afternoon wine and I never drink before dinner. Thank you!!!!
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:43PM
LB Interiors
Yikes Margo, what are you doing to me? More drawing? Could be a possibility tho. Good idea : ))
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:44PM
LB Interiors
Ann, you are so cute, ladder, changes etc. etc. ... You're working as hard as we are!
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 12:46PM
LB- you have got some mad skills!! Piece of cake for you;))
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:47PM
Ann
I love it with both colors of paint - I just love it - carry on dear decorators - I'm off to get a glass of wine and tidy up the house a bit. I'd love to see a rendering of Margo's idea just above if you're willing LB. Bless your hearts, you wonderful group of Houzzers - you've made my day!!!
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:48PM
Sure Ann- go sop up the wine while the sweat drips from our brows lol... I gotta ask Houzz for a raise ;P
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:49PM
LB Interiors
Margo .......... sorry ... nope not gonna do another drawing with the Art in the niche and Sepias on the FP wall .... too much work Ha Ha .... mainly, because I strongly feel and stand on ... the color of the Art being the 'focal' as well as the FP wall being the 'focal' of the entire space. : (
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:50PM
CDR Design
I think the bottom of the fireplace should be painted charcoal. It would give you three colors in the space, but it can handle it.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:51PM
LB Interiors
I need wine too but must leave soon for awhile ......darn .... later tho ... can't wait!
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:52PM
How about 3 Sepias and no bowl LB?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:53PM
CDR Design
Art on fireplace wall.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 12:53PM
Ann
So check this out - to add to my good day - I had a too small rug in my basement too (shame on me) and my new 8x10 just arrived - yay! No pictures though. I couldn't handle the stress of scrutiny of yet another room right now:)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 12:55PM
Roberta Murray Designs - Studio r
I am jumping back in to say that I think the darker paint color is good like I mentioned yesterday- it looks like it might be pulling a shade from you existing area rug. Happy to see you are so excited and successfully accomplished the look you are going for. Congrats and enjoy your glass of wine
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 12:55PM
Ann
So, thinking about Margo's suggestion (a couple suggestions ago) - 3 sepia prints in alcove but no bowl. I don't think it would work and here's why. The vertical height of my canvas is 52". So, in order to get my sepia prints large enough to matter and with about 4" between them, only two would fit and still kind of stay within the height range of the canvas for proper scale - right???? Does that make sense - I haven't had wine yet?:)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:00PM
The Sepia prints do not have to be within the size of the leaf canvas. They could be above and below. The bowl is at the bottom?
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:04PM
Ann
So, if I'm adding correctly, two sepia canvases, each about 24 high and 30 wide?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:05PM
What is the size of that wall up in the niche?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:05PM
CDR Design
Yes, you want the total height of the sepia less than art.

I think if the bowl were wider it would look better. We are talking minor details that can be worked out.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:08PM
LB Interiors
'Larger' Sepia Photography - 7 items (3 Sepia photos are too much)
No bowl

My Favorite
- 'Lighter' Wall & 'Larger' Sepia Photography
The 2 Sepia Photos can be placed higher than the Leaf Art!

Arrangement with Light FP Wall & Larger Sepia Photos

'Smaller' Sepia Photography & Bowl
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:09PM
Ann
Margo, I measured this morning and I think the wall size was 10' long and 7' high. I am quite fond of the way the 52" tall canvas fits on the 84" tall wall. Would it look right if the vertical pair had a taller dimension than the current canvas? Or, should that dimension be the same or less?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:09PM
CDR- why does the Sepia need to be less than the art?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:09PM
Thank you LB for showing the larger Sepia with no bowl, that would be my choice than;)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:12PM
Ann
Oh interesting - thanks again LB! I'll need all of you guys to help figure out the perfect size for the sepia canvases:) I agree, CDR, the bowl should be bigger.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:12PM
LB Interiors
Catch ya all later ........
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 1:12PM
Ann
Which vases should I order - z gallerie or ebay? If z gallerie, I'll call to see if the Denver store has them but I won't get them today - I need wine followed by groc shopping this afternoon. If ebay, I'll probably order today.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:14PM
I just do not understand the bowl? What is it's purpose?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:15PM
If that wall is 7' which is 84" and you put up 3- 24" Sepia with 3" space from ceiling and in between each print and 3" from the bottom, that = 84". It could work right?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:19PM
Personally, I would not order either of these vases, nope not right... Rome wasn't built in a day;))
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:21PM
Ann
Yep, I just got out the calculator and it works. But, is 3" too close to the ceiling and ledge floor? I'm also off for a few hours - again, thanks soooo much everyone. Back later:)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:23PM
phoebesta
I don't see a discrete area, I see a fireplace structure, and I think it should be treated as such. I'm trying to draw something for you but my photoshop hates me today... I think it could look good if you used a shelf for the tv and disguised the space under it with a little door, and then either use paint to make this look one unit - or maybe put shelves in that space?
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:31PM
Roberta Murray Designs - Studio r
Hi Margo - 3 of the Sepia will conflict with what is suppose to be the focal point, the print on the Fireplace. It might fit but that doesn't mean that you should squeeze them in there, 3 is too vertical and the niche is a large horizontal
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:31PM
CDR Design
Look at LB's pics above side by side. Don't worry about how many sepias there are for now. Just notice the total amount of space they take up.

The one on the left where the sepia take up more vertical space than the art looks odd to me.

The one one the right looks good.

Conclusion: since the art is 52" tall, the combined height of sepia (including space between should not be more than 52"

Let's say you want their height to be about 3/4 of the art. Then 52 x .75 = 39. 39- 3 (space btn) =36. 36 divided by 2 is 18. Each piece of art s/b 18" high. Width will depend on vases.

I would draw this out on graph paper, Ann and see if you like it.

If you like it on paper, then once vases are purchased, tape it out on wall with blue tape for final.
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:33PM
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder CDL as I like the one on the left better. Regardless of which size Ann chooses, I would not add the bowl. When I look at the whole rendering with all the variations, all my eye sees is the bowl? Perhaps it is because I do not like the bowl lol, when I look at the larger Sepia rendering the bowl is gone and perhaps that is why I like it better;)
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:43PM
Ramona
I would search more carefully for vases. There are a lot out there and you might find something you love and at a lower price too.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:44PM
CDR Design
I think the sepia needs to be shorter than art because art over fp is the focal point.

Bowl can be rectangular and different color. It actually could be a fourth "vase", a sort of elongated rectangular vase.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:48PM
A bowl is a bowl is a bowl.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 1:52PM
CDR Design
...or maybe it is a low profile vase......hmmmmm

Just noticed your new hairstyle, Margo! Love it!
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:58PM
My new MargoMIranda look was compliments of Mark ;) We were on a fake fruit thread and he repurposed my fruit lol
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 1:59PM
phoebesta
And I present to you the worst piece of photoshop I've done in my life, but photoshop keeps crashing and I'm running a fever, so don't judge me too hardh...

The brown colour comes from your painting - not my favorite colour, but your couch makes me think that maybe the rest of your space would match it?
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 2:11PM
jessegee
ooo, don;t like that at all.... sorry, land the picture now looks like a model with a smut on her nose.

I'm so glad the clocks gone, now we're onto bowls hehe.
Well done Ann, it will be fabulous, go for it all the way.
ps. you could always mount or wicker around the clock and hang it somewhere else in the house, eg kitchen to match the baskets, but don;t let me distract you from the main purpose, you're almost there. x
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 2:25PM
Ramona
pheobe, this was beyond the call of duty. Get rest. I am confused by the white shelving is it?

I thought the idea was to go with charcoal color. But, at any rate, worst photoshop or not, I love the way the darker color fades out the tv and the equipment to the right.

p.s. I love bowls. Feng shui is telling me this bowl is catching something that might overflow otherwise. A bowl could be a low urn?

This is giving me an idea for a book about bowls.

p.p.s.

I was thinking the 10' was just the niche, not the wall all the way to the edge of the fireplace. My bad. Now it makes sense.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 2:30PM
CDR Design
Yes, phoebe. Despite your fever, you gave us a picture of how the tv can be mitigated. I think it should be more of a charcoal, but general idea is there.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 2:37PM
phoebesta
Yes, white shelves - "cuts" the space and also creates some symmetry with the white fireplace. And are good for placing bowls lol (though I may be wrong 'cause I haven't had the strength to read the entire discussion). And yes, in my own house I'd go with the charcoal (or similar) colour, I just haven't a clue what the rest of the colours in the room are and thought I could show what a different colour looks like - after defining the repaint areas in photoshop getting a second colour takes seconds...
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 2:39PM
CDR Design
Ann, hope you are enjoying your wine. You made a huge step today. Taking down the stuff is what you needed to see your new vision.

You are almost there. Now it is just refining.

Very busy this coming week, but will try to check in.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 2:41PM
CDR Design
phobe.,hope this helps..Ann wanted the room neutral and kept the red couch, just because she didn't want to spend the money right now to have it recovered.

I don't think she wants a lot of stuff up there that she will have to clean.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 2:42PM
jessegee
Just thinking, if the change of colour is too much to cope with, buy an old plain fire screen, paint it white to match the fireplace and stand it in front of the tv when you're not watching it,
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 2:48PM
armygirl1987
So Ann left for a day and I must say I am no longer pouting. I was thinking that I might have been pushing too much but all is well in my soul.
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 4:33PM
armygirl1987
I like the art where it is and the branch like thing but the sepias looks good too.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 4:49PM
Ann
So, I just went grocery shopping and stopped by a local inexpensive furniture store. I bought this vase - sorry I can't get a daylight pic but the base is a very nice earthy brown and the top is orange/rust. This would be the little one at 39". If I go with this group, the next is identical, but 43". Then the third would be 53" and is different (the one pictured). The top of the big one is the brick red of the sofa. They had them set up as I just described as a group in the store and they were quite nice together. I just bought the little one to try out and I can return it easily if it's a no. Thoughts? I loved the big one the most and could get two of them and one of these but then the whole group grows bigger (43, 53, and 57), which gets super huge. Thoughts? They are super inexpensive and extremely heavy:) If you hate it, say so cuz I can return it easily.
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 5:00PM
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 5:07PM
armygirl1987
I like that Ann and local is always better.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 5:08PM
Ann
The colors in my pictures are terrible. I'll definitely take more pictures of the vase in the morning when you can see it.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 5:09PM
Ann
Wow Angela - that group of 3 is even less than I'm paying:) Nice job finding those! The ones I found are a bit wider, which is probably good.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 5:12PM
CDR Design
I say give them a try. If you ever get rid of the red in your room, vases are easy to spray-paint.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 5:12PM
armygirl1987
Yours look way better than mine. I say go with them and it looks like it match the art perfectly.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 5:17PM
mjmil
I like the vase and I think the color plays well with the couch. I like the plan for the 3 vases and the 2 Sepia Prints.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 5:35PM
Ann
OK, I think I'll buy the other two tomorrow and take pics to post. You know, I feel so stupid for loading up on all that antique "junk". I had no idea you could get huge vases and things for about the same amount I spent on whiskey barrels. Jeez - this is going to be a good change:) No resisting anymore. CDR, I do think I will replace my kitchen weeds with aspen trunks - that might work out very well for that basket.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 5:39PM
CDR Design
Hard to change when you've loved with something god so long . Hope the barrels included the whiskey!
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 5:43PM
armygirl1987
I am just glad that you took the time to take the darn things down vs I am afraid of leaving it blank. I wanted to fly to Denver and put a boot up your booty.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 5:47PM
CDR Design
Army girl, that is why we need you. Only the drill sergeant can get away with saying that!
4 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 5:51PM
mjmil
Isn't it great that you went to that store today and happen to find 3 vases the right size in a color that works in your room. I think it is great that you have embraced this change and worked so hard at redoing this room. It is coming together so beautifully and with these new changes will be even better.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 5:54PM
armygirl1987
CDR-I guess but she was killing me over here. I wanted to abandon this thread but I could not cause I understand what it has been like for her so I nudged, nudged as you did too. I was in class all day and wanted to post when I saw the changes she made I was smiling inside.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 5:56PM
CDR Design
Ann knows what she wants but we all have a different transition time. It is sort of like giving away a old pair of comfortable jeans.

She always comes around and now we
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:04PM
CDR Design
There is no stopping! I to the kitchen!
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:05PM
Ann
This one was hard for me and I'm now laughing at how resistant I was. I'm kind of surprised you guys didn't all abandon me for being such a pain:) I'm kind of old so I do have a bit of trouble with change - it takes me some time! Thanks for hanging in there!
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:09PM
armygirl1987
I am glad that you can laugh about it now and it did not cost you $1,000. Can you mail me the difference.
4 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:11PM
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 6:18PM
CDR Design
Buying more stuff I find is rarely what is needed. Less is more.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:18PM
LB Interiors
Ann, Love the vases you found today. Great find. Give them a try and pick up the others. I'm excited and it's not even my house LOL
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 6:21PM
armygirl1987
Well I am glad that Ann is happy and the spot is empty and the world did not fall apart. Have a good evening everyone.
4 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 6:22PM
LB Interiors
Just to add, don't be afraid to use the sepia art. They will not compete with the Leaf Painting. Sepia is a soft color and will not overpower anything else in the space. They will actually be seen as a group of three pieces of art that complement each other. The same as if they were alone on one wall without anything else.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 6:24PM
LB Interiors
I bet Ann is surprised that she hasn't fallen apart yet : )
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:24PM
LB Interiors
Margo, you asked why I included the bowl? The reason was to have an odd number of items (7).
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:53PM
LB, I figured that but why a bowl?
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 6:57PM
LB Interiors
It could be anything that works! It was easy to draw LOL
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 6:59PM
LB Interiors
Maybe a thick book or book box. Maybe a small trunk like some I saw the other day at Micheals. They were more like a book box suitcase with a handle. Really cool!

They were something like these in printed paper coverings.

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/cheung-s-fp-3092c-2-multi-colored-suitcase-with-parisian-typography-set-of-two-664266.htm?partid=googlePLA-DataFeed-Boxes-664266&kpid=664266

3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 7:00PM
Ann
Actually, I think the vases are really perfect but I didn't want to say so in case anyone was worried about my feelings. Often times, if you post a purchase and say you love it, you guys are so darn polite that you won't say no, worried about hurting feelings. I never go in this local furniture store because the stuff is for those just starting out on a very tight budget and I'm now an old lady on a better budget. But, it's right next to the grocery store, and something told me to take a look today. It's 10 minutes from my house and I've never stepped foot in there before, so that was a very strange spur of the moment thought today - not a plan at all. Anyway, we'll see tomorrow when I purchase the other two for next to nothing, but I think they might just be exceptional for the spot:) I've stressed more about this dilemma than any of the others and, believe me, I stress way too much. I think it's going to look fantastic and it just all fell into place today when I saw LB's rendering. I'm not stressed at all about the sepia canvases - that will be great, great fun!!! It might need to wait until spring springs a bit more, but that's fine. I can't even describe how relieved I am today after great frustration and worry yesterday and so very little sleep!
4 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 7:12PM
Ann
You know, that darn black speaker may still need to occupy that spot. We'll discuss that more later. We're just now unrolling the new, bigger rug for the basement:) Yay! No more way too small rugs in the house:)
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 7:14PM
LB Interiors
Ha Ha Ha , when were you Not stressed about your dilemmas? : ))
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 7:20PM
LB Interiors
Paint the speaker the wall color - Done!
Or paint it to go with one of the vases under one of them ... if it works for height variations.
2 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 7:21PM
LB Interiors
Pictures Say so much !!!!!!!!!
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 7:24PM
LB Interiors
Some more renderings
CDR suggested way back somewhere ...

Darker gray FP surround 1 & 2 shades
FP Dark Gray 1
FP Dark Gray 2
4 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 7:37PM
LB Interiors
I can't wait, but I will wait 'til spring to see your photograph canvases : )
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 7:42PM
Ann
I think CDR wanted the canvas area and the area below darker and the niche area the lighter wall color. But, I'm so happy with this overall plan (even without the paint), that I think any painting will wait until the whole house gets painted in about a year. I'm thinking BM edgecomb gray for the whole house, but of course, that's an entirely new dilemma. This art area will probably end up with a darker accent color and my dark brown accent wall in the bedroom won't get touched. I absolutely love it. Just a side note. I had a small rug downstairs to protect the carpet in front of the small bar/sink area. I bought it at Pottery Barn about 6 months ago. Anyway, I had a different 5x8 under the coffee table and of course it was too small - my stupid mistake. So, I kind of wanted a matching rug to the bar area for the seating area but Pottery Barn has recently discontinued the rug. So, I googled and found a wonderful ebay seller that sells discontinued, but brand new PB rugs in original packaging, never opened. The seller is wildwonderfulbuys. The rug is absolutely new and perfect in perfectly clean unopened packaging. So, if you are ever looking for a very recently discontinued PB rug, check out wildwonderfulbuys on ebay! Wonderful seller! The new rug looks fantastic! What a great day for the house today and a big step toward fixing some of my worst decorating mistakes, upstairs and downstairs! I'm going to sleep so well tonight and look forward to purchasing the other two huge vases in the morning:)
6 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 8:12PM
LB Interiors
I have wine, do you? Cheers to you! (clicking the glasses together : ) Sweet dreams zzzzzzz
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 8:16PM
Lynnie
Wow, the thread got long again. Before I even scrolled way down I invisioned 3 vases. I think you are getting the look, but I would have to read everything on here. Wondering what you are doing with the fireplace if you are not sticking with the orginal painting, which I see you might be so, way to go!

I think going with 3 different vases adds a lot of interesting, rather than just matching them. Color and design and size can all be different. Just bring in the painting color in small ways.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 8:23PM
Ann
Yep, Lynnie, the original canvas will stay above the fireplace. Then three very large vases and two sepia canvas photographs in the niche (and maybe a bowl:). Eventually, maybe some darker accent painted wall surfaces too. Scroll up just a few posts to see LB's rendering - that's the plan and I love it!!!! It was a busy, busy, productive day in this discussion!
3 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 8:28PM
Rita Patrick
I might remove everything and find a giant graphic wallpaper for the alcove. I would stack large books horizontally in the left of the alcove. To cover the vent I would have a rice paper tube tall cylindrical modern lamp even if I had to pay $100.00 and install an outlet. If it is not too busy I might put the clock where the painting is now. But I did not see the rest of the room or your style. Mine is more utilitarian modern and it might not appeal to you.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 21, 2014 at 8:43PM
Ann
Thanks Rita - a new plan is well underway after a busy discussion today. If you want to see it, scroll up just a few posts to LB's renderings and you'll see the idea. All the "stuff" is removed except the art above the fireplace.
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 8:51PM
Rita Patrick
Can't wait to see pictures!
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 9:15PM
Lynnie
Yes you are right Ann, a very busy day! But for the most-part a good one. I like almost everything about the idea. Love Sepia and your canvas print. Changing the wall colors is a great idea. I just would like to see 3 different shaped vases. Not 3 that look that similar. Other than that, great job LB!!! And Ann!!! :)
1 Like   February 21, 2014 at 9:40PM
CDR Design
Lynnie, the rendering is just the general idea. The vests Ann has in mind actually are differently shaped.

Great job, LB.
3 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 1:15AM
LB Interiors
Thanks CDR and everyone!
2 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 3:47AM
armygirl1987
Teamwork at its best.
2 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 5:31AM
armygirl1987
Ann, since you finish with your room please check my daughters thread so that I can finish her room. Lol. Just need to finish the bulletin boards in the right side of the room and need help with proper placement. I picked up a second board.
3 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 5:34AM
indomom
Ann, I'm glad that you mentioned the "black box". If it stays, will the imaginary bowl fit in front of it? LB's wonderful work doesn't include the box and I'd say that might be useful in the grand scheme of things regarding your final decision. So glad that you've found a solution that you love!
I'm only going to pout about the rug a little bit :)
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 5:48AM
armygirl1987
indomom-my pout was louder. LOL I really wish that we could have seen it in there too.
3 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 6:31AM
Ann
indomom - if the black box speaker must stay (Hubby's eventual decision and/or project), I will definitely see what I can do about hiding it with a bowl, which might not be possible due to the speaker's depth - since the bowl may end up too far forward on the ledge and look a bit odd. So, another option might be to find an oblong bowl with about an 18" bottom - the width of the speaker - the bowl opening to a wider size at the top. Maybe I could use the speaker as a stand for a bowl and kind of make it look like a plan. I think the art will be more in the 30" wide range, so the bowl would need to be pretty good sized. Finally, a possible option might be to find a wide oblong bowl that isn't very deep at all and very slighly prop it against the speaker, once again trying to make it look like a plan.
So I was thinking about my sepia art last night and I might try taking shots right after a good rain. Possibly a very close pic of a just barely opening tree or shrub bud with a drop of water on the branch could be cool (the bud off center). You know how brand new buds can be kind of fuzzy with nice texture. Then maybe the second shot could be the very end of a pine branch or a very close up of an interesting part of aspen tree trunk. Here again, after a rain might be a great time. I can't wait to post my favorites and hope you'll all vote:) That's going to be so much fun. Then I'll figure out who can make the stretched canvases - possibly even shutterfly - I'll look into it. But, I'm in a big city so it will be no problem finding a local source too.
2 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:21AM
Ann
Just barely beginning to think about the bowl, but I recently saw this leaf bowl at Pottery Barn and it was kind of cool (oblong and 33" across). This second bowl from z gallerie is too small but something like that might look appropriate sitting right on top of the speaker? But, one step at a time. The art will go up before the bowl so we can determine if a bowl is even needed. The last thing I want to do is junk up the space again.
2 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:31AM
Ann
Just googling to begin to give myself photography ideas for the soon to be sepia art.
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 7:45AM
Ann
One more
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 7:46AM
Ann
Got the other two vases.
4 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 11:53AM
Ann
OK, they're up. Now just comparing the space to its original look several weeks ago and to the inspiration pic of LBs. I want to make sure I'm kind of sticking to the plan and improving the space. I wouldn't say the vases are amazing like I'd hoped but I think the scale is quite good and once the art is in place, it should look pretty good. Thoughts? Be honest, the vases can be returned:)
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 12:04PM
abbyjean
I am just amazed when I look at the 4 pics you just posted......and I actually love where you started, but this is going to be sooooo nice in this room now. Those vases were meant to be for YOU!!! And no ordering and not tons of bucks.......SCORE!!! Right size and right colors! SCORE!
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 12:20PM
Ann
Thanks abbyjean - it is interesting seeing all the pics together like that isn't it?
A small part of me is wondering if I should just put a tad more space between each of the vases and not add the sepia art at all. Hubby thinks with a half day's work he could mount some kind of bracket behind the TV and hide the speaker so that you'd just see a tiny bit of it tucked behind the silver TV stand that you barely see between the bottom of the TV frame and the top of the TV table. I love the art idea, but will it "clutter" the space? I'm thinking it will look good, but I don't want to go back to clutter. One reason I do like the art idea is that I can add a tiny bit of a horizontal element if I get the canvases done as slight horizontal rectangles as LB has shown in the mock up.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 12:42PM
armygirl1987
It looks good Ann and like it was always there. Wish there was more difference with the two smaller pots but overall love it.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 12:45PM
armygirl1987
At this point Ann try it what do you have to loose.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 12:51PM
armygirl1987
Could you bring it closer to the speaker box or maybe put one on the speaker box and see.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 12:54PM
LB Interiors
I'll start with liking the vases. I think ... keeping the vases in the same layout ...

Key: This is what I'm labeling the vases
1 - tallest vase
2 - middle height vase
3 - shortest vase

Move vases:
1 - push close to the wall
2 - vase 1/2 of the ledge depth
3 - shortest vase front 1/3 of the space

(Agree with 'armygirl 'about the 2 smaller ones close in height)
Add a book under the # 2 vase (middle size)

Now try moving the 1 & 2 vase the closest to each other
I think this will also look a bit better ...
3 vase (shortest) a little more separate from the other (group of two) vases
(more space between the 3 vase than the (group of 2 that are closer to each other)

Zig zag the depths of the vases, not in a straight line on the ledge.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 1:10PM
Ann
Yeah Angela, I wish the two smallest had a bit more height difference too. There are only the two sizes and they are only 4" different. Same with the tallest one. It also comes in only two sizes and they are also 4" different. Let's see what various opinions everyone has and then we'll see if I should climb up there and shift things around. They're seriously heavy vases so I don't want to move them too many times!!!
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 1:11PM
LB Interiors
I like the leaf bowl that you posted. I like that it is a leaf and that it has irregular edges, not geometric. That might work leaning on it's side and propped in front of the speaker. I'd use earthquake putty to stabalize it.
4 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 1:14PM
Ann
OK Angela and LB. Unfortunately the book shows (and I even wrapped it in brown paper first), but the arrangement does look better. You can't see the staggering in this pic but I did that too (as LB described) and it looks nice. Hubby said he'll cut and stain a wood circle in the next couple weeks to replace the book and solve that problem. I'm off to work out. I like the leaf bowl too LB so I'll definitely keep it in mind if it is decided a bowl is a good plan.
2 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 2:19PM
sallymcknight76
Hi Ann,
I love your space. I have a suggestion for the open space under the TV and think you could use it as a firewood storage. Would help fill the gap and I think would mix in with your style.

Brookhaven House 1

Brookhaven House 2
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 2:19PM
Ann
Thanks Sally. I like that look too but the fireplace is gas:)
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 2:26PM
LB Interiors
Here's an idea for continuity of your stacked Sepia photos.
A vertical triptych. Take a larger photo of what looks interesting.

Then crop it in 2 sections.
Don't delete the original larger photo. Copy and paste, Copy and paste.
You could make many combinations from the original. Just save them with different titles on the computer.

You would have to allow the space of the design transitioning of the wall space to be used before deciding on where to crop. Allow the inches on the crop to fill the empty space of the invisible part of the cropped photograph. Hope that makes sense.

There will be a gap in the photo where the actual design is broken. (wall space when hanging). Need to know how far apart they will be hung.

Just to give you an example, sorry it's a little tilted

1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 2:31PM
LB Interiors
Thanks for trying the placement. Sorry, on the ladder again : (
I think you could move the 2 vase (almost touching) the 1 vase. Maybe 1.1/2" from each other.
Then move 3 vase about 3" from the group. I think they need to be a bit tighter : )
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 2:42PM
LB Interiors
I forgot ......... Going back to the cropped Sepias.
You would want the design to wrap around the edges of the canvas. So maybe keeping the entire crop without deleting the design as I said above. It would still depend on the wall space between the two of them. So that the design lines up correctly.

I would check with someone, how this can work from a photo canvas versus a painted canvas.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 2:47PM
LB Interiors
By the way, hubby's wood circle is so o o perfect! Tell him that was brilliant!!!
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 2:50PM
CDR Design
Great progress today! Vases will work. Sepia try pitch an idea. Just take a bunch of photos. If you take what inspires you. Something will work. You are almost there!
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 3:26PM
Ann
Thanks for the comments. OK, LB, I'll tighten them up but maybe I'll wait until I get the sepia canvases. I think for now (without the canvases) they look a bit better with more breathing room. I'm pleased - they do look nice.
I'm not quite brave enough quite yet and I need a little stress break, but I just might photograph the high area above my kitchen cabinets for you guys pretty soon since I feel like I've made such good progress with all your help:) Hope you'll be willing to tackle another similar task with me. The good news is I'm not too "married" to anything up there except the clock has moved there and I want to keep it. I also want to keep the basket with the weeds where it is (the one I pictured in this discussion) but I definitely plan to replace those weeds with aspen as we've discussed. Other than that, it may be as simple as removing most of the stuff, but we'll find out:):)
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 4:46PM
abbyjean
Happy to know you found a home for the clock and the basket and I would love to see them smiling there!!!
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 5:09PM
Ann
Different basket abbyjean:) All of the baskets from the living room ledge are now in the basement store room. This is the basket I want to keep in the kitchen but I'll replace the "weeds" with small, tall aspen trunks, like this example.
]
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 6:39PM
LB Interiors
Ann, just wondering if you want to put Closed in caps on the Coffee Table Dilemma.
Some are still responding, not sure if you want them to. They haven't read the postings either : )
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 22, 2014 at 8:02PM
abbyjean
I saw that, too, LB.
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 8:48PM
CDR Design
Ann how are you feeling about your new cleaner look?

No need to get stressed. By now, you know it will work out in the end.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 5:47AM
Ann
I like it! As I briefly mentioned yesterday, a small part of me is wondering if I should leave it as is with no sepia art??? I'm happy to do the art or not, but I don't want to re-clutter:)
I've already started on the high kitchen area. I've taken a few things down. Only baskets left and I am OK with the look of baskets, even if they are a bit country. The house is so darn "earthy" that I think baskets work. I just sent my daughter an e-mail to see if I can come up today and cut aspen trunks to replace the weeds, so that will be done today or very soon. Here are some pictures. I figured everyone would want to know what the gray thing on the wall is so I took a close up. It's a piece from Crate and Barrel a few years back made by an island tribe from volcanic something or other. It definitely stays where it is - I love it. I'd like the clock to stay as is too. I think it works there. Then, the basket that will contain aspens is pretty new (Crate and Barrel too) and I think it's a good separation between the clock and the trio of wall art. So, those are my initial thoughts.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 8:51AM
Ann
Last pic. Just a closer pic of the basket on the left end.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 9:01AM
LB Interiors
I'm having a hard time with all the baskets. I think just the aspen basket is enough. You are not country so much any more. You've made so many great changes to move away from it. A little here and there. I think we can find something more interesting to replace the other baskets.

I would be okay with something like the suitcase boxes that I posted earlier.

0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 9:13AM
Ann
I'm afraid I don't like those LB - they feel gimmicky and are too small. These things came down. This wine thing (it's a good size - 30") had wine bottles in it when it was up there. I brought it down because Hubby thinks it's stupid:)
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 9:34AM
Ann
Isn't it strange how gold our paint color looks in my previous evening flash pics? The pic just above is the same paint and it doesn't look gold at all. Doesn't matter because the house is in need of new paint. I'm just making an observation.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 9:37AM
LB Interiors
That's ok Ann, There are some suitcases that have faux leather straps and look more authentic. It was a pic for the idea not necessarily those : )
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 9:49AM
LB Interiors
I like the wine rack, with or without wine bottles. Great detail and interesting. I like the movement of the design style.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 9:51AM
Ann
I could put it back up (sorry Hubby). Let's wait until we get a bit of a plan and then I'll start "testing" ideas:)
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 10:05AM
kcooz07
I really like your Crate & Barrel wall hanging and would want it to stay too. Instead of all baskets, would you consider a bit of color up there.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 10:14AM
Ann
Sure, I'm open to some things with color:)
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 10:20AM
Ann
Heck, I'm open to all Houzz suggestions. My house has come so far with the help of my Houzz friends. I say no to tons of suggestions but some of you just hang in there with me and keep helping - it's quite amazing the help I've received and the patience of all of you!:)
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 10:26AM
mom2hsm
I would try a LARGE framed mirror over the fireplace, and for the area to the right I would do a collage of family pics in all different sizes with different frames styles. Then I would place a few items on the shelf that won't obstruct the view of the photographs. I prefer family pics to anything you can buy at a store--you can mix your clock into the collage -- doesn't have to be ALL family pics, but the majority should be.Keep some greenery there on the shelf, too--pretty space!
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 10:26AM
armygirl1987
What is the Crate and Barrel item that has to stay? What are the items that really have to stay? I do not think you need baskets in two area. Can you post without the baskets and what are the "I am not budging, they will stay"
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 10:28AM
Ann
The gray, vertical "Flinstone looking" wall art to the right of the fridge definitely stays. I'd like the clock to stay. I plan to replace the tall "weeds" with aspen trunks today or soon and then I think I'd like that basket to stay also. The other 4 baskets don't much matter, but I'm somewhat attached to the handled basket just to the left of the clock. I guess I just think it's kind of a cool basket.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 10:41AM
armygirl1987
Ok so basically we are working with the top and the basket and clock are to keep and everything else is fair game. You can keep the handled basket but not necessarily on top.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 11:05AM
armygirl1987
I actually like the tub type thing that you brought down more so than the baskets.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 11:10AM
Ann
It's a copper pot Angela and it can definitely be used. It's a pretty good size for the area where the ceiling is lower.
I'm kind of excited about this afternoon. I'm taking Hubby, my camera, and my weed basket up to my daughter's 10 acres in search of aspens for the basket and possible pictures for the sepia art. My SIL has a chain saw so it'll be fun to see what we find. Hopefully, my 7 and 5 year old granddaughters will put on their snow boots and join us in the search:)
3 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 11:37AM
jessegee
Congratulations Ann, have read all posts with interest, the guys are great, and you have certainly given it your all, am very excited for you. Love your Flinstone wall art, and I love baskets too but ( shhh. don't tell anyone! ) These days I like them stacked into a totem....
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 11:44AM
Ann
Thanks jessegee! My decorating has made such great strides with the help of this gang that I'm pretty motivated now. I was quite resistant at first but now I've seen how useful it can be to remove lots of "stuff". I couldn't agree more, it is a great group! Please join the fun!
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 11:53AM
jessegee
You're welcome, and thank you am having marvellous fun here.
I just said good bye to a family heirloom, it was awful, not working, I carried the dang thing around for years, its wonderful to be free.
Am a firm believer in " let someone else love it "
2 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 12:05PM
Ann
Isn't it funny? You can't bring yourself to part with something for years and years, but once you do it, you recover in about 10 minutes.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 12:14PM
jessegee
Yes, ridiculous isn't it? My family all have one item that we all dislike, I hope I have set a trend.
Mum has an old wooden clock, that doesn't tell the time and the chime sounds like a a truck horn in a tunnel, but its pride of place hehe.
4 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 12:21PM
CDR Design
Sorry short on time! Fp can do vases only but need large horizontal or angled branch out of one vase. Alternate is 6 plates like ones above crate and barrel art.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 3:54PM
CDR Design
Kitchen. Remove all fr cabinets. No baskets. Maybecolock ok. Several of your photos lined up along top of cabinets. All same size
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 3:56PM
CDR Design
Copper container is great. On fp instead of vases?
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 3:57PM
armygirl1987
Would love to see a pic of the top from farther away.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 4:45PM
Ann
Some of my pics I took with my camera today.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 4:57PM
Ann
A few more.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 5:05PM
kcooz07
Very cool. The clarity of the pine tree in the second set is beautiful.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 5:33PM
CDR Design
You are a natural ann. I love the ones w aspen trees
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 6:05PM
LB Interiors
Wow wonderful pics.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 6:41PM
LB Interiors
I'm thinking that the copper pot instead of the basket will brighten the ledge in the kitchen.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 6:43PM
CDR Design
If you want an updated look, placing stuff above cabinets is not the way to go. It's about clean lines. A series of several of your photos above the row of left cabinets would give the clean and contemporary look you want.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 6:55PM
CDR Design
Another choice is nothing above left cabinets . I would not put anything on the wall to right of frig. Less is more.

Crate and barrel art could be used elsewhere.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:01PM
Ann
It is a nice camera - that was fun today with my 55-300 lens! This is just my first attempt. I can take thousands of pics to pick the best. But, with that said, I really love the shot of the 5 aspen trunks! Interesting thought about pics above the cabinets CDR. I could do the three different pics of the aspens and string them along the cabinet length where the ceiling is the lowest. My silly computer is making me reboot again to post more pics (won't read my camera card) but, in a few minutes, I'll post the basket with its new aspen branches and a shot of the copper pot up in the living room niche. I kind of like it up there on the speaker. It's way too small to replace the huge new vases CDR. I just placed it up there to show you its size but I kind of liked it up there. Thoughts about any or all of this?
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 7:01PM
armygirl1987
I would like the see the kitchen as a whole and not just the top to see how it all look. I agree with removing all the baskets. I like the copper pot being used instead of the baskets.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:05PM
armygirl1987
You want to put the copper pot in the living room niche?
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:06PM
CDR Design
That is what I was thinking the aspen trunks above left cabinets. Not a lot of vertical space so maybe you'd need at least 5? I encourage you to take all the stuff down. Baskets give you the look you had in the niche.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:07PM
Ann
OK, so here are pics of the aspen trunks in the basket and the copper pot sitting on the speaker - just to show size, but maybe it could become the "bowl"???? I really like the aspens in the basket, so please be gentle if you don't like them. They may be there to stay:)
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 7:26PM
LB Interiors
Just love your photos! Here's an example of using one photo and creating the triptych for the wall niche.

1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 7:28PM
Ann
No problem removing the 4 baskets on the left side of the kitchen, but I'll climb up there tomorrow. Angela, I don't want to open up the whole kitchen for comments so only the up high pics for now:):) Maybe I should just leave the "aspen basket" and the clock and leave the rest bare. That spot where the clock and aspen basket are is really the only area with a lot of wall space anyway (due to the slope of the ceiling).
2 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:37PM
LB Interiors
Thanks for playing with us! The aspen looks fine so far.

I'm not fond of the pot on the speaker unless there is something in it to fill the wall space. I don't think I'm liking it on top of the speaker. If the speaker is exposed it will count as an even number of items for the entire space. Odd numbers are better. I think I still like the sepias up there best and something to camouflage the speaker like the leaf bowl propped.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:40PM
Ann
Love that LB and I love that picture I took (my favorite). I'm not even sure I'd need to do it in sepia since the colors are neutral and fantastic. I think it might look just great next to the sandstone/leaf art! What does everyone think of the copper pot on the speaker? Yea or nay?
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 7:40PM
abbyjean
I say nay. But I love the new trunks in the basket with the clock right there, too. And the art work is perfect with the leaf bowl idea.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 7:44PM
LB Interiors
I think the clock and aspen basket are fine. Just one more item on the long left ledge, left of center.

The empty copper pot.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:45PM
LB Interiors
I think you're right, don't need the aspen triptych to be a sepia tone. Like it just as they are. The colors are great with the other charcoal, grays and black in the room.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:47PM
Ann
OK, got it. So no copper pot and sepia prints of possibly the aspens. As another option to the triptych idea, what about two different "aspen" shots as a vertical pair? I love that one with 5 trunks. Here are a few others from today. It's not such a close up but I also love the first of this group.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:52PM
Ann
OK now I'm a bit confused. I'll take the 4 baskets and copper pot down right now. Then what, please be specific since I had 2 glasses of wine with dinner?:)
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 7:56PM
LB Interiors
I would use only one photo and divide it for the triptych. More soothing to the eye as a photo group and less confusing for the eye than two separate photos stacked.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:58PM
LB Interiors
Clock and aspen basket in the kitchen. Copper pot on the long kitchen ledge, left of center of the entire space.

Photo triptych in the niche : )
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 7:59PM
LB Interiors
You think you're confused. I experienced a dilemma today regarding faux finishing with a client. 5 hours to find a solution. Something I have never experienced in the many years of playing with paint. The details are on this dilemma ... OMG http://www.houzz.com/discussions/610717
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 8:04PM
Ann
I'll check out your dilemma in a minute LB - sounds like a very long day. OK, copper pot out of niche and trying it in kitchen. Tried it alone but it felt small and lonely so tried this, but now an even number of items up there, hmmm..... No problem, we're getting there:)
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 8:25PM
Ann
Another item added to corner. Hubby doesn't like the wine thing, but he'd tolerate it:) I'll add the three wine bottles if you think it should stay.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 8:32PM
LB Interiors
Ann, no need to check out my dilemma, just if you might be interested : )
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 8:32PM
LB Interiors
Not liking anything in the corner. Not liking that grouping : ( Looks too contrived. I would rather place the pot on left of center of the left perpendicular side. 3 items. or add two more with the pot on the other long ledge (5 items) in proper scale with the pot as a grouping. Basket looks odd to me, sorry.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 8:36PM
Ann
OK, three corner items coming down:)
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 8:39PM
LB Interiors
You're such a trooper for trying our suggestions. You'll get your exercise today too!
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 8:43PM
armygirl1987
Basket and clock looks good.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 8:43PM
armygirl1987
I really like the copper tub color.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 8:44PM
Ann
No problem LB:) It was a great day. I really like the aspens in the basket. I was very pleased with my first attempt at photography for the niche and just might end up using the aspen pic. You should see how great those aspen pics are in full resolution on my computer! And, more stuff is being removed, so more decluttering, and I'm learning to really enjoy that!
Angela, I like the copper pot too but it's had years of use if it doesn't find a spot now. We used it for kindling in our first home - a 500 square foot log cabin with only wood heat - we bought that home nearly 40 years ago and that copper pot was a HUGE investment for us back then:)
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 8:55PM
kcooz07
Not crazy about those items in the corner. I like the aspen basket but something is off with the spacing. What do others think? I would also remove the top basket above the C&B piece. Maybe even both.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 9:01PM
LB Interiors
Much better than the day I had. UHgg. But we have to experience the bad days to really appreciate and recognize all the good ones.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 9:11PM
Ann
OK, this is how I'm leaving it for tonight. I tucked the rectangular basket behind the aspens but it can come down too. This is all that's above any of the cabinets now. My knee is protesting so no more ladder tonight. Thanks a bunch for today's help everyone. To be continued......
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 9:22PM
LB Interiors
Not so much. Colors of baskets look like a blob of the same color. Looks crowded too. I don't think you need it. Is that a favorite basket? It's ok to finally let something go if you've had it a long time. You have probably got your money's worth : )
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 9:25PM
Ann
No, not a favorite at all. I can take it down tomorrow.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 9:30PM
LB Interiors
Just adding, If you have had it a long time, spent a good $1.00 on it, and tend to have loved it, changes can be difficult. I understand all of that, besides watching the budget. But now, you have embraced your changes, not without a fight here and there : ) never the less, you are loving your new rooms now too : ))
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 23, 2014 at 9:31PM
Ann
I see a garage sale in my summer plans:)
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 9:55PM
LB Interiors
HA HA HA, YES YES YES
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 10:01PM
LB Interiors
Garage sales can be fun, but I've had my fill. they are work too. I use craigslist for the selling items or they just go to a charity.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 10:03PM
CDR Design
Ann in my opinion it looks very dated up there. I know I am blunt but it looks like you found some stuff and want to fill the space. Learn to embrace negative space.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 4:18AM
CDR Design
I highly encourage you to take all down including the basket of aspens. You can leave the clock. I am thinking we might want the clock more to the right. (When you have asymmetry-angled wall-don't center items. )
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 4:21AM
CDR Design
Then once all items down and clock moved we may want to either just leave clock alone or add 2-3 urns with soft textured branches or very sparse shorter aspens. Your current aspens are too crowded and too tall. Clo
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 4:25AM
CDR Design
Clock and aspen vase are 2 soldiers lined up in a row. Finally please remove the 2 bad pets on the wall. Too crowded. Cb art then may have to be lowered of go elsewhere. Biggest lesson here is to learn to love negative space. Few amounts of large items is the way to go.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 4:28AM
CDR Design
Not bad pets. Baskets on wall. Lol
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 4:35AM
Ann
Well, I'll get back to the high kitchen area after I've lived with it for a bit and done some thinking and possibly some shopping. I added just two baskets back to the long side this morning and the whole area is much sparser than it was a few days ago. I've got a big stack of things to head to the store room (pictured) - lol, so I did declutter some:)
So, I'm pretty excited about the pics I took yesterday, especially those aspens. I'm taking my attention back over to the niche for today since I can only focus on one thing at a time (and my knee hurts a bit):) Please talk to me about the 2 vertical art pieces for the niche? In the next post I'll repost my favorite 2 pics and the current leaf art. What I want to figure out is should I "split" the 5 trunk pic as LB quite nicely pictured above or could I think about using these two as a pair of individuals stacked vertically? And, then, what about color or sepia, since the pictures have such naturally neutral colors. The 5 trunk pic has a nice little splash of rust in the top left corner and the other shot adds some gray blues which could be nice with the blue pillows. So, one pic split or two different shots and color or sepia? The pics of the art will show up in my next comment:)
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 6:57AM
stitch2003
Hi. I'd say maybe have the leaf painting and the rug. The rug is really cute and seems to me like a magic carpet so I'd put that in for a retro-type effect.
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 7:01AM
Ann
Here are the art pics for discussion, if you have comments and are willing to share.
2 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 7:06AM
Margaret B
Hello Ann, Your photos are beautiful! I have been lurking on the thread and thought I could help by showing you a few standard effects you can do with photos. The first is an Antique effect and the second is Sepia.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 7:20AM
Ann
Is there anyone that has the appropriate software and would be willing to pop the two aspen shots on my wall (vertically over the black box), kind of big?:) I'd sure appreciate it!!!!
Thanks Margaret - very interesting! The antiqued is very nice!!!!
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 7:30AM
Ann
Margaret, any thoughts or ideas you'd be willing to share about any part of the discussion? I'd love to hear:)
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 7:35AM
Margaret B
I prefer the Antique for your room, I think it would be lovely in a gallery wrap with the leaf. Unfortunately I do not have photo shop on my new Mac. Perhaps someone can help, if not I can install Photoshop later this afternoon.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 7:39AM
Ann
Yes, I don't know about the sepia. If I use those pics, I think prefer the antique or color to sepia. Margaret, any chance you could make it black and white for me? Do you have any other thoughts in general?
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 7:43AM
Margaret B
I love where you are going with the living room, it is very calming. I like the simplification of niche, and thing additional art work will look nice or maybe even an interesting piece on the wall similar to your slate in the kitchen.
I have to say I like the baskets on the cabinets, I don't think baskets always say country. I do think they added an organic element to the room. Sometimes we need to be careful and distinguish between streamlined and sterile. I am a firm believer in a home has to reflect things that the owner is drawn to, sounds like the copper pot and a few baskets had some lovely stories behind them. Would be a shame to not have that type of history in your home.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 7:48AM
Margaret B
Black and White. I boosted the contrast on the second one.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 7:50AM
Ann
Thank you for the comment Margaret. I sure relate about the sterile part - I'm feeling that. Plus, I'm actually fond of baskets. Did you notice two went back up this morning?:) They are all still sitting on the floor and the ladder is still in the house for all my tweaking. If I did leave those two up there and maybe add one or two more, any thoughts about the arrangement of them?
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 7:55AM
Ann
Thank you Margaret! So, I think my favorites are the antique, the first black and white and the full color. Thoughts?
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 7:58AM
Margaret B
I preferred the arrangement attached, I find your baskets to be more rustic than country. You could even add a small something to the left. I think it ties in with the baskets above the slate. Perhaps more of a pueblo style added to the grouping.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 8:01AM
Margaret B
I like the antique, I think the full color might be at odds with the leaf print. Please whatever you do hold onto the leaf!
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 8:04AM
Ann
Hmmm....., yes, I can see that. I like the idea and I very much like the shape of the pueblo vase, but not the southwestern pattern. Thank you, you've definitely given me something to ponder.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 8:08AM
armygirl1987
Well see there now see it is always good to have a different eye. I have always liked the copper pot and wish that it stays up there. I also like the clock and the basket.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 8:13AM
Margaret B
I don't care for the pattern either. LOL But I do think you need something to tie the copper pot and the baskets above the slate piece together. You are in a wonderful part of the country with many local artisans. You can take your time finding just the right piece.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 8:16AM
indomom
Thought of you when I saw this today, Ann: https://www.onekingslane.com/product/33439/1117295
I love the look of your photo with the "antique" finish. The two that you chose are my favorites, too. I hope someone will be able to photoshop them in the space for you.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 9:01AM
Ann
OK, so for the "likes baskets" group, does this arrangement work any better? Those that don't like baskets, it can all come down in about 3 minutes if it's a complete NO:) I think Hubby and I could live with this. He's OK with baskets but hated the wine tower. Of course, he's also thrilled the sled and whiskey barrels are gone from the living room:)
2 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 9:30AM
armygirl1987
It can work except not feeling the basket next to the copper tub. Maybe try putting the copper tub completely in front of the basket and see if that works.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 10:09AM
mjmil
I prefer the areas above the cabinets without anything. I just don't think it is needed. The clock and the basket with the aspens stay and remove all of the rest of the baskets and leave blank. Over the niche I prefer the photos in natural or antique. The colors in the two you have chosen are already so neutral I think they will look lovely in the room natural. I don't like the enhanced version or the sepia version As for Tryptich or two different photos I think either way you go will be great. You have done an amazing job and have been very amenable to trying suggestions.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 10:24AM
Ann
Thanks Angela and mjmil. Angela - the copper pot can't go in front of the basket because there isn't enough depth up there. Half the copper pot would be sticking out in the air past the cabinets:)
2 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 10:35AM
Depo SD
I like the thought of copper pot, clock, and aspen basket on the taller wall and nothing over the cabinets on the shorter wall. I do like stuff over the cabinets but the baskets aren't really adding much, IMO. Your aspen pictures will look beautiful in antique or natural in the niche area. You did a fantastic job on your photo journey yesterday!
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 10:44AM
LB Interiors
Baskets. Not fond of any of them except the aspen basket. It has substance, shape, and colors. All the other baskets look ordinary to me and less expensive. Nothing special about them re: shape, color and material.

I like the original 5 trunk aspen photo, or possibly in the antique coloring. I think since you have the leaf painting as the focal because of color and most importantly, your tryptich would need to balance the leaf art using 3 of the art pieces as one unit visually ... I think you need a photo (5 trunk aspens) that is balanced from side to side altho asymetrical at the same time. Some of the other photos will be heavier only on one side. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I would not use two different photos for the stacked art in the niche. It will get too busy for the eye to focus.
3 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 11:37AM
Ann
Grover, if you see this, I'd love to see these two aspen pics on the wall (as a vertical pair) above the black box and about the same width as the orange leaf art. Thanks a million!
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 11:58AM
armygirl1987
Ann- can LB do that for you vs looking for grover?
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 12:06PM
armygirl1987
Ann- I know that you have moved on but I am curious why you did not go with the rug in the area and using your art somewhere. If I might ask that question. Did you not do it because you were outnumbered?
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 12:09PM
Ann
I found grover on another thread we're both on and asked for help, Angela - just in case you're wondering why the "grover" comment came out of the blue like that:)
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 12:09PM
armygirl1987
I guess but seems like LB has been helping so was just wondering what grover could do that she couldn't do. Not trying to step on anyones toe.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 12:17PM
If you want me to frame them, it will take a little longer (and cost a little more). ;-)
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 12:30PM
bob04951
Interesting space. My eye is immediately drawn to the photo and the clock. (other commenter was right, if I didn't know it was a leaf, would think it was a fox or kitten, no offense to you or the artist, it is an interesting piece, but it just doesn't belong where it is) The design of the area is quite interesting as well, you want to really bring that out with maybe contrasting shades of the same color family to emphasize depth and angles. Don't think it would need much "decoration," a few simple pieces. Things just seem to be there, like they don't belong all together in that space. Can you maybe hang the rug somewhere? Or work off the colors in it if you want to keep it there. You have some unique pieces, they just don't seem to all belong in one space. If you work off the rug as the center/focal piece, you can do a lot with the colors, different textures and so forth. Right now, it just looks a little cold and needs some inviting warmth. I do like the rug by the way.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 12:31PM
Margaret B
Ann the vases and the Leaf Art seem to relate to the new direction you have taken the room. I don't think the new photo's in Grover photoshop work as is.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 12:38PM
Ann
Grover, thanks so much!!!! I sure appreciate it as now I can see it and think it through:)
Angela, I didn't know if LB could do that or not. She recently mentioned having new or updated software that she was still learning about. I just happened to stumble across grover today and thought asking was worth a shot:) Regarding the rug - that is complicated - I liked the idea but Hubby thought it would make the room look "girly". He really likes the leaf art a bunch (and I like it too). Also, I didn't have another great spot for the canvas (I had a spot but it would have been a bit crowded) and I do kind of like the rug in the bedroom it's in. Then, I bought those vases and I've grown to like them a lot. Their colors are very good with the canvas and would not be good with the rug. So, that's all the factors that went into the rug decision. Just kind of a back and forth decision and process - I know you relate to that:)
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 12:56PM
Ann
Totally agree Margaret - that feels way too busy! I don't think that type of art is the answer anymore. Back to the drawing board. I just might end up speading the vases out just slightly and leaving the rest blank. Hubby thinks he can move the speaker. Some are still liking ditching the canvas and going with the rug idea (in the niche portion) but I don't think I'd want any art above the fireplace if the rug was in the niche portion. That would be very busy too. If it stays as it now is and I decide to add something in that space above the speaker, I think it needs to be like CDR's original "branch on the wall" idea or maybe metal art with little or no color. I'm really glad I saw grover's rendering!
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 1:08PM
armygirl1987
Thanks Ann and I think the direction that you are going is fine. Love everything that you have done even the neutral living room. I also agree with Margaret not liking that particular art maybe you could still find something that work there but maybe just leave the vases up there. I think that they belong there. No rug even though others still think that it belong there. Listen to your husband.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 1:20PM
armygirl1987
Why did you not let her try the antique or sepia that Margaret rendered for you.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 1:21PM
armygirl1987
Also-Ann nothing about the art looks like a kitten and not sure where bob04951 is coming from with that.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 1:23PM
CDR Design
Art over fp. 3 vases with asymmetrical branch coming out of one of them. Your photography better somewhere else where it can be focal point.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 1:34PM
Ann
Angela, I'm really liking the simplicity of the space with just the vases and leaf art and I didn't think the additional art would screw it up, but now I really do think it might be terrible - whether it be color, sepia, black and white - any of them:):) I'm totally scared of the idea now!!! I've never seen the kitten similarity either and still don't even though it's been brought up by a couple people:) I guess it's in the eye of the beholder - no question art is personal and not universal:)
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 1:35PM
Ann
Too bad I wasn't thinking asymmetrical branch for one of the vases yesterday, CDR. I saw a bunch of them. Oh well, I know where to look now:)
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 1:38PM
CDR Design
Ann that was my fear all along. Art competing with art. Simplicity. One focal point.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 1:39PM
joancuneo
I just came into conversation. I hate to say this but, does the (kitten) picture have to be hung in that area at all? I think it doesn't go, Nice picture though. I also think the TV needs to be moved, I have to look some more.
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 1:43PM
sondramartina
Yes art will be competing with each other .
Which one is kitten picture?
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 1:48PM
mjmil
I agree with CDR the vases the art work (which I think is very pretty and looks great there) and an asymmetrical branch. Dare I suggest going back to one of your original choices and suggest a manzanetta branch there.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 1:49PM
CDR Design
You need large and asymmetrical..
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 1:52PM
joancuneo
Ann you are trying so hard. I saw a picture far up & you move the picture to the other wall & put it horizontally. I thought that looked better. Just need the right thing for the middle.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 1:53PM
Ann
mjmil - lol - yep the manzanita branch is back under consideration. Joan, I liked the horizontal orientation too but about the same as I like the vertical, so I'll just go with vertical for now remembering that horizontal also worked if I make changes in the future. CDR, I'll hunt for an appropriate branch next time I'm at my daughters and nothing lost if I end up tossing it. I can always fall back to the manzanita idea:) Sondra, some think the sandstone/leaf canvas looks like a kitten and the leaf its tongue.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 2:27PM
kcooz07
Have to agree Anne your aspen photos unfortunately don't fit there. But I hope you can find another place for them because they are lovely and the fact you took them makes it even better. I am one of those that likes the leaf art over the fireplace and just can't see the kitten at all-even though I have four of the real ones!
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 2:36PM
armygirl1987
I agree that the art is fine where it is at and Ann do not be convince to move it no now matter where the suggestion is coming from. All of a sudden all these new people who have barely been helping you or because they do not like what others are saying choose not to say anything but now they want to put there two cents in. Do not be confuse you are on the right track.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 2:41PM
armygirl1987
OK now back to my corner.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 2:42PM
CDR Design
Right.ill bet you can find some interesting meandering branches locally.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 2:44PM
Ann
Angela, I sure feel on the right track. Plaid wing chairs gone, dated coffee table gone, too small - too bright rug gone, sled/croquet balls/whiskey barrels/pine cones/gimmicky wine tower all gone too:) That's serious decluttering and progress. I'm quite pleased with the progress and think it's in good enough shape to pause for a bit and go slowly contemplating future changes. Even better, ALL the stuff Hubby disliked has been removed so he's really liking the changes:) Some days it feels like I go backward rather than forward and it's been a lot of long discussions, but with all your help, it's sure coming along!
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 2:56PM
Ann
Oh, and Angela, the best part of today is that I got a new tree! I had a big red maple that was planted when we moved in 9 years ago. It was beautiful and SO happy but I have a small front yard and this tree was only a few feet from the side of the driveway and pretty much on top of a natural gas line. The roots were getting HUGE. Anyway, I've recently realized this tree was in too small of a space and would become problematic as it would rather quickly grow to 60 feet tall. So, it was removed today, the stump was ground out with an impressive machine and in its place I had a small "tree form" autumn brilliance serviceberry planted. I think it will be beautiful in that spot with a mature size of only 20 feet someday! I have a shrub form of the same species out back and it's my favorite thing in my whole yard, so I have great hopes for this new little tree:) I've been contemplating the issue for about 2 years so to get it done today was exciting.
3 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 3:07PM
armygirl1987
You done good gal. In my Jamaican voice. Me proud a yu. Put up yu foot, drink yu glass a wine and relax. Lol
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 3:09PM
indomom
I really hope that your photos can find a special place in your home; I just love them! And you HAVE made great progress.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 3:13PM
armygirl1987
I can see and hear the joy in your face as you typed about the tree Ann.
4 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 3:17PM
LB Interiors
Ann, I don't know how to photoshop the artwork. I spend too much time on houzz and not on learning a program that I have : ) I think I remember mentioning the branches from your yard and then CDR posted a photo of an example. It was teamwork. Thinking alike.

I still think the aspen photos (same photo - not two different ones) can work in the space if they were a different color. If they had beige/warm/golden/orangey tones. Better if the colors blended more with the leaf art and the vases which are similar colors. They would not stand out so different. They take over the visual of the space. Maybe grover can photoshop in the one photo divided, in the antique coloring for a better blend to the entire visual.
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 4:11PM
LB Interiors
I toned down the color and softened the photo. I'm wondering if this can work, I wish I could get a warm wash over it.
Triptych Aspens 2

Original photo
Triptych Aspens
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 4:26PM
Ann
Thank you LB, but I think I've backed away from that idea altogether - maybe calm metal art with shape or a branch or something, but not nature pics:):) I loved the idea at one time and loved your rendering, but it was frightening when I saw it today!
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 4:46PM
bob04951
Have to LOL, you are getting some fantastic suggestions, and that is exactly why you ask for them. Everyone has different tastes, and find it amazing for that one space, you have had such a response. But it is such an interesting space. Would just move things around, tape up some color samples or whatever, let it grow on you for a day, or not grow. You will find something that you will wake up to one morning and say WOW, that's it! Just think colors and textures, you have great light there and it changes throughout the day, so leave your samples up for a day or two, and see how they change with the natural light. Excellent ideas here, but it all boils down to what YOU like and what YOU want. Envious of that space, it is extremely interesting and challenging, but guess what...if a month from now you don't like it anymore, you can change it, not like you are taking down walls or anything. Paint can be painted, things can be moved. And of course hub has to have his opinion too, nobody wants either a girly or masculine space, we try to stay neutral to keep the peace. You will stumble onto something that is just a WOW, this is IT!!!! Just have fun with it. Trees are always a challenge, love the red maple too, but they can be a pain, rapid growers and easily split with heavy wind, so you were probably wise to be done with it (does make great firewood if you burn wood, also good for carving, whittling or building furniture as you well know). Fun to get trees and watch them grow, and now you know from experience what not to get and where to plant. We all live to learn. Enjoy your project and if it takes a month or two, so what. It's the finished project that counts and you should just have fun with it. I do love your big photo art by the way, it has great texture and color, and will fit into the space you eventually come up with. Just have fun and enjoy!
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 4:53PM
LB Interiors
The photoshopped rendering : It was frightening for two reasons.
1. High contrast in color. Did not blend with the warm, yellow, orangey tones and two different subjects. They were too focal.
2. Too busy. They need to be one photo divided.
I stand on this for these reasons.
Would love to see a photoshop example. I might be wrong. I'm curious myself.
CDR Design
Maple tree. Any interesting branches left?????
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 5:31PM
CDR Design
I love serviceberries. Such good year-round interest. Good choice.

I love that you are sticking to your goal of simplicity in the room. When you want to fill every space with things, keep looking back at your vision.
2 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 5:41PM
Ann
I did look long and hard at the maple tree before I let them haul it away. The branches were very straight so I didn't see any use for them. The aspens had more black/white color variation so I liked them better for the kitchen basket. No use for the living room niche due to being VERY straight! So, off it went. I love serviceberries too. Hopefully it will work out well - the spot might be a bit too wet from sprinklers from our yard and the neighbor's yard, but I'll give it my best effort! I'm a pretty good gardener, so I'm hopeful:)
Yeah CDR, after seeing grover's rendering, I'm liking just the current art and vases with nothing else. It's looking very nice and calm like that. Now, the space above the cabinets is a bit different. Because my cabinet height isn't staggered (I regret that choice), I kind of like a few things up there. It was feeling a bit sterile after I took most everything down. So, a few baskets are up there now, but it is a bit leaner than before. Good news though, between the two areas, lots of things were removed and I'm in no hurry to shop for things to add. It is looking quite nice overall! Huge improvement from where it all started!!!
4 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 6:44PM
firee
I'm not sure if this is help, but I think if you are doing something to snazzy up the place, you should try a theme. From the paintings and other decor, you should try a fall theme... Or splash some color.
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 24, 2014 at 6:50PM
CDR Design
I figured the maple branches were too boring but worth a try.

Yes you have made a ton of progress.

My opinion is that the clock is too heavy above the cabinets. I think something like the woven bakers woywould work if you had Mir of them.
0 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 5:32AM
CDR Design
It sounds like you don't want to spend the $ now (I understand) but if and when you do.....

[houzz=Weston Kitchens[houzz=Organic Modern[houzz=A Ranch Re-dressing Hanover NH]
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 25, 2014 at 5:45AM
CDR Design
See how these are hung? You would hang yours sort of the opposite....a larger presence on the right side to reflect the more vertical space.

I think something like this would look good.

houzz=
]
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 25, 2014 at 5:48AM
Ann
Thanks CDR! The first and third pics of the high built in cabinets and the grouped African basket pic went right into my ideabooks!! The high cabinet idea is wonderful and my set up would handle that beautifully - just like those examples. Love it! Also, love the African baskets. I have the one you've seen (which is a rather special collector one) and I have a vertical pair of two others in a bathroom (practically the same baskets as the baskets in your pic). Thus, I love simple African baskets and I think they'd look great up there. For now, we are liking the clock and aspens up there but I'll probably tire of that in time and your basket arrangement would be a perfect alternative, assuming we didn't decide to go with the cabinet construction:) Both PERFECT ideas for our taste and house!!! Since I'm kind of "pausing" right now, I woke up this morning and just wandered around looking and gosh the house is looking nice, lean and uncluttered. I'm so pleased with the changes thus far!!!! It's been a bit of a challenge for all of you to bring this grandma into the current decade, but I really think I've moved at least a few decades forward and it's wonderful!
6 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 6:41AM
Pat Hager
You have too many small items, you know the saying, less is more. Also, get a cabinet under the tv, it looks like its ready to topple over and it would clean up the visual look. All you need is a few large vases in an accent color and call it done.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 25, 2014 at 6:57AM
Ann
CDR, now that I've seen those pics of the up high angled built in cabinets, I'm no longer regretting my "construction decision" to not get staggered height cabinets. That transformation would be a piece of cake with our current straight across set up:)
2 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 7:07AM
Ann
I think it was more of a discussion in my previous coffee table living room discussion, but a few of you have suggested I replace the plastic pots my very large house plants/trees are in. Well, I just stopped by the local nursery/garden center and they have a pretty darn nice selection of huge ceramic pots on a half price winter sale. They were not expensive at all. So, I think I'll drag poor Hubby over there this weekend to help me buy about 3 of those. It'll take me a month or so to get around to the repotting, but it looks like that I have a solution figured out for that situation:)
5 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 10:09AM
CDR Design
You could also spray paint them with a texturized paint.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 25, 2014 at 11:34AM
CDR Design
Kitchen if you do extend your cabinets to the ceiling on the angled wall, make sure you extend them on the left wall also. On left wall, there is not enough room for cabinets, so would be done with crown molding.

Niche: What do you think of buying a few more of the vases and just filling the niche with vases. I think it would give a clean look. You could even buy repeat the sizes you have.

[houzz=William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape[houzz=Cary Bernstein Architect Choy 1 Residence[houzz=Modern Residence]
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 26, 2014 at 4:11AM
Design Elements
Out of your three ideas, I would say 2 would be my favorite. It would compete the least with the leaf picture
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 26, 2014 at 4:21AM
Ann
Good point CDR. I could get another one like the current tallest one (but the new one would be 4" taller). I could put it on the speaker for even more height and then buy one more of the very shortest to put next to it. Then, I'd have the current grouping of 3 with another grouping of 2 and the new group of two would have a nice height difference between those two.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 10:21AM
LB Interiors
The second group of two vases, should not have too much contrast in heights between them.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 26, 2014 at 10:28AM
Ann
OK LB. I could get the two tallest ones with the narrow red top and they'd be 4" apart. It's my favorite of the two styles anyway. How does that sound?
Or, what about two of these (discussed before)? These two are 45 and 36" and almost identical width to the three I already have. The current shortest one up there is 39" - providing this info so you can visualize how these two would look.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 11:35AM
Ann
Sorry those two don't enlarge, they're mango wood and the first is the tallest.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 11:35AM
Ann
Just trying side by side pics to see if it's helpful.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 11:38AM
Lynnie
Been out of the loop for a few days. The vases look nice. I am looking at the pic above. Perhaps one that is shorter to round off the 3.

The photos you posted look great!!! But with the snow, and emphasizing black & white, I would not go with Sepia. Now, if you are talking about leaves, which I think you originally were thinking of, I would go with Sepia.

I will have to edit later.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 11:51AM
Ann
Lynnie, I've given up on the art idea. I didn't like the art "competition".
Now, we're discussing possibly adding some more like or different vases to my current group of three.
Everyone, another vase idea might be two new ones - fatter and shorter???
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 11:59AM
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 26, 2014 at 12:11PM
LB Interiors
I would stay in a similar palette of colors as the leaf art and the 3 vases that are already there. Another color predominating may end up being a bit more focal. The last two might be too dark.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 26, 2014 at 12:39PM
Ann
Makes sense LB. Those last two are quite neutral and, to me, they have a similar earthy "feel" to the other stuff up there, but they are dark. Just had another thought. This pic isn't a very good example at all, but I could mount two staggered nice looking shelves (each about 18-24" long) and place one nice neutral art object on each.
]
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 12:53PM
Ann
Unfortunately, the area I want to see is mostly cut off in this pic, but this is what I mean in my comment above.
]
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 12:55PM
Ann
Obviously, you get my idea by now, but here's another photo. But, I'm thinking only two shelves staggered (not very wide but maybe sort of chunky and deep) and only one fairly good sized art object on each. So, imagine the top left shelf in this photo with one object on it.
]
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 1:00PM
LB Interiors
Someone previously mentioned shelves altho the wall color used was too strong and shelves extended the entire widtth of the niche. They are back in the thread. Might be ok with shelves.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 1:01PM
Ann
Yes, I remember that LB, but that was way too wild for me. I'm thinking very simple shelves and two kind of special art objects.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 1:05PM
LB Interiors
Yes, simple.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 1:13PM
Ann
Something like these from Etsy, LB. They do custom sizes and I'm thinking about 2 feet wide and about 10" deep. Natural walnut to match my wood floors. I'd have to make sure we have studs in good spots.
2 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 1:28PM
LB Interiors
Yes those are a nice color. Not any darker. I think I would probalbly go a deeper measurement. I forgot the depth of the ledge. You wouldn't want them to be too skimpy and should be in scale to the depth of the ledge. Maybe about 1/2 the depth of the ledge. What would that depth be?
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 1:33PM
LB Interiors
I'm also wondering if hubby can construct something. Save some money. The reason being that maybe they should be the same as the wall color to avoid too many planes of color including all the items together. Keeps it more simple and less confusing to the eye. You will be putting something on them.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 1:35PM
mefor
These are nice floating shelves, the rustic ones have matching shallower ledges :)
0 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 26, 2014 at 1:44PM
LB Interiors
You don't necessarilly need to find the studs. There are molly bolts, butterfly screws, anchor screws that are well sufficient for situations for mounting.
1 Like   Thanked by Ann    February 26, 2014 at 1:46PM
Ann
Depth of the inside part of the niche that extends out to the wall where the leaf art is is 16", so 10 would probably be a good depth. I had looked at those PB shelves - I think the sizes were just a bit off.
2 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 2:05PM
LB Interiors
Okay Ann. 10" is good.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 2:21PM
LB Interiors
Still feeling they should be the wall color to not confuse the eye with all the breaks of shapes and items there.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 2:22PM
indomom
I really like those shelves from Etsy. I prefer this new plan to the vases (or are the vases part of this ensemble?).
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 2:30PM
Ann
Hi indomom. The three vases I already bought would stay over on the right as they are. The "2 shelf idea" would be for the empty space between the leaf canvas and three vases.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 4:53PM
Ann
I can see using the wall color LB. Not sure if that would make more sense or getting plain, but very pretty, floating walnut shelves. As far as art for them, I'm thinking metal sculpture??
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 5:00PM
Ann
Saw this metal seed pod on etsy. Too expensive and doesn't say the size, but maybe something like this could work on a shelf.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 6:47PM
Ann
Kind of liked these from Crate and Barrel too.
2 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 7:22PM
armygirl1987
Ann- I would try the extra vases without the shelves. Maybe CDR can clarify if that was what she was suggesting. I cannot envision the shelves plus vases . Guess you could call in Grover to help with visualization.
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 4:38AM
Ann
Thanks Angela. Just not sure what idea is best. About all I've decided for sure is I won't add more "pictures" to the wall because of how they compete with the leaf canvas. I think it could be kind of nice and rather calm looking to add these two staggered shelves with simple metal (non-colored) objects on them. I would love to see a rendering but I'll bet grover is already annoyed with me for my requests, so I should probably quit doing that. I do think adding 2 more of the same vases would work - I can envision that. I'm not sure about adding two of the different mango wood vases or this shelf idea so I'm just pondering and seeing what the comments are. The one thing I do like about the "two shelf" idea is the very slight horizontal element it adds to the space.
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 7:45AM
Ann
I see a few "likes" here and there on this recent part of the discussion. If any of you would care to share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them:) All the various opinions are so helpful. I've managed to calm the niche down so much and I love that simplification. I also calmed the area above the kitchen cabinets down a bit, by taking most everything down and then putting some back up after a very helpful comment from Margaret. All the comments are really useful and even the "it looks terrible" comments help when the person explains what it is they dislike so much. Those comments used to hurt my feelings a bit, but not anymore:) Please keep talking to me if you have any thoughts:) I'm grateful!
2 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 8:04AM
Depo SD
Good morning Ann. I really don't have an opinion on what you should do to finish out the niche. I was thinking though, if you can purchase more of the vases you already have, why not do so, if they can be returned. Then at least you'll know if you like CDR's idea, or you want to try the shelves. I wouldn't go with the mango wood because it might be too much hassle to return them.
2 Likes   Thanked by Ann    February 27, 2014 at 8:22AM
indomom
FWIW, here is where I stand--If you go with vases and shelves, I prefer the mango vases and the walnut shelves. I think the mango vases are more elegant and clean lined; they add the organic while the right metal sculptures would add organic and rustic. I've just never been a big fan of large vases, so if YOU love them, that's all that matters. I am, however, a huge fan of metal sculpture as I've done a little of that in the past. But that's all about me, not you, Ann :-)
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 8:35AM
Ann
Thanks Depo and indomom. Depo, it would take about 15 minutes to purchase more of the same vases and get them home and I have 30 days to return them - so super easy except very heavy:)
Indomom - Do you mean return the current three vases, buy 3 of the mango vases instead, and also use two staggered walnut shelves with metal art placed on top?
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 8:48AM
Ann
Started yet another discussion to refocus and because I'm just too darned embarrassed of the original pic in this post:) I'd like this discussion to fade away so the sled and whiskey barrels will too:) http://www.houzz.com/discussions/871147/Still-working-on-this-art-niche--lol-
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 9:32AM
CDR Design
Well, that says you've really come so far from your sled and barrels. I just placed the whiskey barrel on the sled and sent it sliding down a hill. Bye-bye.
1 Like   February 27, 2014 at 1:47PM
Exterior colour
We are wanting to paint our house a more modern. All...
My long narrow entry hall
My entry is 15'x4'. And one long side is completely...
Alternatives to bifold door for new bathroom?
We just moved into our new co-op apartment. Our bathroom...
Where to end my kitchen backsplash
I'm looking for advice on how to place my backsplash...