POLL: What's your favorite window trim?
Houzz Polls
February 21, 2014 in Polls
Which one of these window trims do you like best?

Vote for your choice! To win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment telling us what type of window trim is on your windows now, (photos welcomed too) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 3/2/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.
Ultrathin trim
Stone trim
Steel trim
White on white
Wood on wood
No trim
Other - Tell us Below!
Nicole Lee
love the clean look of no window trim.
February 21, 2014 at 11:13am     
HI -- I love the clean modern look . My house has trim but it goes with the style of the house . I would love to have a modern style home which is more my taste .
February 21, 2014 at 12:31pm     
irina92
We have a wood trim, but I do like the no trim window look....
February 21, 2014 at 3:11pm   
happyasaclam
White on white looks so clean!
February 21, 2014 at 3:39pm     
Northshore Kitchens Plus
I like a number of these trims. Obviously each one was used for different reasons based on the style. I have stained Cherry trim on doors & windows throughout our home but it lends more toward Traditional Colonial to more modern Transitional styling with bringing in more light with some skylights with plastered openings without trim. I am leaning toward the Ultra Thin, Stone, Steel & No Trim looks but they all lean toward the Contemporary styling!!
February 22, 2014 at 10:53am     
Marly
I like wood trim, but that photo of the whole wall of wood is obnoxious.
February 22, 2014 at 12:26pm     
racing_hotty
I like the stone trim, although I have a feeling it would be hard to keep clean
February 22, 2014 at 1:43pm     
ericafunnn
In my opinion, no trim gives a fresh look that seems to brighten up the place. I believe that by having a window trim it starts making the room look choppy, and by having no trim the room looks modern and has a clean and fresh affect.
February 22, 2014 at 2:03pm     
indianpatti
No trim looks great!
February 22, 2014 at 2:05pm   
kmpf
The no trim looks clean and neat but for me it's a little too cold- the wood trim is softer.
February 22, 2014 at 11:55pm   
Studio NOO Design
These photos are more about nice windows though, trim or not these windows are amazing ! i love yhe forst one.
February 23, 2014 at 12:00am     
Umid Karimov
Actually ...I prefer windows without glasses...;)
No way!
So, no trim
February 23, 2014 at 3:08am   
imdob
Depends on the style of the house...but generally I like the white on white or no trim.
February 23, 2014 at 3:41am     
ghotton
While some of the trims are attractive, I do not care for any of the trims showcased. Each of the are unique, but for the average home owner, they all seem to be too pricey. How about showing trims from homes that are affordable to the average American? I earn a good income, but don't think I could afford what you have displayed.
February 23, 2014 at 4:38am     
helehhamilton
I like being able to see out, but at the same time having the option to cover a window for privacy if needed. I hate being closed in....my attitude depends a lot on seeing what is going on outdoors. I enjoy life and want a part of it in my home.
February 23, 2014 at 4:44am     
ginkogirl
Obviously, it depends on the house style. Our house is Craftsman, and I love looking out through the fir trim. Modern homes look great with no trim.
February 23, 2014 at 4:45am     
donnawnts2no
no trim...is the bomb!
February 23, 2014 at 5:00am   
sonnadue
No trim...lets the outside in!
February 23, 2014 at 5:17am   
jochum55
I love the no trim, because you get an amazing view. It works because of the room design and Mother Nature.
February 23, 2014 at 5:34am   
ckb123
I like the white on white
February 23, 2014 at 5:39am   
Michelle Carter
All of the shown trims look fantastic, in their own design element. I choose no trim. I would love to change my window trim to no trim.
February 23, 2014 at 5:53am   
bbarick
I like stained wood trim, ours happens to be oak (which I know most people hate, but I don't understand why because wood is so beautiful). Painted wood trim can look nice of course, but I prefer a more natural look. What I dislike is covering the windows with curtains, blinds or draperies. Some of our windows (bedrooms/bathrooms) are covered of course for privacy, but we are fairly isolated out in the country with beautiful views so when possible the windows are bare. Which means I have more work cleaning them of course, but its worth it!
February 23, 2014 at 6:05am     
Chantal Paquet
White on white is what I prefer in my house but, if I got my dream log cabin, it would be wood on wood!
February 23, 2014 at 6:23am     
Janette Sicardo
All are beautiful, it would depend on the house for me. But I lean to white on white.
February 23, 2014 at 6:33am   
Ryan Basinger
I like the stone trim in the photo, but it probably wold not work in most other applications. My house has no trim, the drywall simply forms a corner around the window opening. There are window sills with a small piece of trim underneath.
February 23, 2014 at 6:42am   
winnerami
I think the trimless look in photo is striking. Normally I prefer wood which is what we have.
February 23, 2014 at 6:45am   
mssadie
I love the no trim although my home now has the thin trim. Of course if I had a beach house it would have to be no trim to enjoy the entire view.
February 23, 2014 at 7:14am   
Kaitlin
I like the open look of no trim. It's like being part of the outdoors. I could only imagine the heating bill though. My realistic choice is white and white, clean and classic.
My house has wood trim and wood frames and wood windows. I hate it and can't wait to get white.
February 23, 2014 at 7:15am     
Collyer Const.
No trim , tougher to do . Trim allows for movement and without it in some applications it would be a costly choice and not always an option. I am a fan of less is better with some designs.
February 23, 2014 at 7:19am   
Kimberly Erwin
The stone trim is distinctive, and I imagine very durable.
February 23, 2014 at 7:24am   
houssaon
Really depends on the style of the house.
February 23, 2014 at 7:27am     
n3phthys
We replaced all of our windows last year and we were so happy to be able to also remove the honey colored stained oak trim. A non-trim wouldn't have even been an option. We had to pad out the windows to accommodate thicker walls, We picked a a semi-fancy wide white trim and we're very happy with it. Granted, we would be happy with anything that wasn't the oak trim the house came with... :)
February 23, 2014 at 7:29am   
June Chapman
My fear with the no trim is that someone may walk tight into it
February 23, 2014 at 7:32am   
Helen Hart
I really like what we did w/a fallen birch tree. The guys who installed my cabinets improved on my idea for a rustic window trim.
February 23, 2014 at 7:59am     
wl606
I like the ultrathin. It has an industrial look, and really adds to the design.
February 23, 2014 at 8:07am   
Ran Moore
White on white is gorgeous, simple. clean and to the point. Saves you the time in trying to figuring out what colors goes well with your scheme.
February 23, 2014 at 8:10am   
lazae14
We have white trim on painted walls. I hate it! i would love wide wood trim stained very dark and the walls painted lighter tones
February 23, 2014 at 8:14am   
tradewell
I prefer the warm look and cozy feel of wood on wood trim. It just appears to me to be solid and substantial.
February 23, 2014 at 8:22am     
black_raven
We have no trim, but it really does depend on the style of house I think... trim for Craftsman, etc.
February 23, 2014 at 8:37am     
suffolkgirl19
It all depends on the bones of the house! Victorian home, wood trim looks best, modern home..no trim, etc... Unless you're mixing it up to personalize your home....then ANYTHING GOES!! I LOVE IT ALL....
February 23, 2014 at 9:12am     
powerchutes8
I think the open fresh look of the no trim is the most outstanding.
February 23, 2014 at 9:14am   
Danielle Rozon
No trim makes you feel connected to the outdoors!
February 23, 2014 at 9:32am   
etet
I love the push back doors that leave entire walls open to outdoors. Doesn't anyone have bugs like I do?
February 23, 2014 at 10:13am   
Marion Knox
Love all the light it brings in and of course the view
February 23, 2014 at 10:14am   
zoieandmac5
Totally driven by the style of the house. I have had 16 houses during the 38 years of my marriage so have redone/decorated almost every style from old beach cottage, new traditional construction, 1907 Craftsman, 50's ranch, 80's contemporary, etc. so I have considered it all. Now, I am all about creating light airy rooms and I have become a minimalist!! So my vote is with no trim!!!
February 23, 2014 at 10:20am     
sandydolan
It's all about the view! Love the no trim! I could sit there all day.
February 23, 2014 at 10:27am   
Shannon Jones
I love the clean "no trim" look! I have a mid-century traditional ranch with mullions and WISH I had big windows without trim.
February 23, 2014 at 10:33am   
culturestories
We have white on white at our house. It is easy to care for and it looks great.
February 23, 2014 at 10:36am   
monkeygirlinri
We have white on white, which is fine, but I prefer a more modern look with the ultra thin or no trim windows.
February 23, 2014 at 10:40am   
judithahall
I have wood on wood trim on my windows...it's what was here when we bought the house, so it has stayed. It is very neutral and not obtrusive in any way, so it can stay and I I can live with it just fine. I chose the white on white. I always think white trim adds a much needed finish to any window in a room. The trim can take on many styles and doesn't have to be exactly like the one pictured. Having the windows finished on the inside as opposed to no trim, which I think can get very cold and hard looking or the steel trim which look to me like prison windows just gives a more inviting look to a room.
February 23, 2014 at 11:02am     
mil1946
Loved both the ultra-thin and no trim......difficult vote.
February 23, 2014 at 11:23am   
toniproudlock
Any suggestions as how to protect toddler from falling from wind- out windows? I was thinking of changing to louvres.
February 23, 2014 at 11:41am   
Elizabeth Julian
Since I don't have to maintain them, I like the no trim. The styles did not vary enough for a true vote. The practicality of the windows is not addressed. I love a breeze and the modern no trim windows don't show how you can regulate air flow. English cottage houses look best with the diamond windows. So many styles, In the northeast, heating and cooling factors in but since this is an imaginary world, I like the no trim windows.
February 23, 2014 at 12:02pm     
Karen Moore
I love the openness of the no trim look. Of course it only worksf you have a spectacular view from the window. My house is a 1920s small Tudor full of oak trimmed windows.
February 23, 2014 at 12:55pm   
susanmitch
With a killer view I like no trim. My house is Georgian style and has wood trim.
February 23, 2014 at 3:18pm   
Heather Magee
No trim for me...especially if there is a great view outside...!!
February 23, 2014 at 3:45pm     
Jonna Austin
If I had a stupendous view out my window, and it was a big window, I would love the no-trim look. Since I have a very common view out my windows, and they are normal size,
I like what we have, which is a golden-oak trim that matches my hardwood floors.
February 23, 2014 at 5:03pm   
grobby
Have white on white wide trim. I can live with/without trim if the room and view grab my attention.
February 23, 2014 at 7:22pm   
Barbara Hanson
I love white trim...it is classic and clean!
February 23, 2014 at 7:34pm     
mrscrouse
I prefer stained wood--but not the wood wall. My preferred style of home is craftsman--so the wood trim makes sense there--where the wood is a strong feature of that style. It needs to go with the home style--so each of those make sense where they are--but not in the average American home. To put modern trim in a home build that isn't modern would look crazy. To put old fashioned trim on a modern style home would also look out of place. The home we live in now has all painted wood trim--everywhere. I can deal with it because it fits the style of home.
February 23, 2014 at 9:20pm     
alohagirl007
Depends really on the style of the house, the settings,etc
February 23, 2014 at 9:48pm   
Bettie Waddle
I installed marble window trim last year and recaulked. This is about the only option since the windows sweat. I have a '50's house with single pane casement windows. Replacement windows would have have to be custom and costly. Otherwise, I would chose white on white vinyl or wood.
February 23, 2014 at 9:56pm   
alwaysdesigning
We have wood cased windows in a Craftsman modern style window in our new custom designed house. The guys did a great job for us.
February 23, 2014 at 10:34pm     
suzanne_m
I love floor to ceiling windows. So the more glass, the better. I voted for no trim.
February 23, 2014 at 10:38pm   
mrabughini56
We have wood trim that goes with the house stile,I love No Trim for The Look :) so...Next House!!!
February 23, 2014 at 11:09pm   
Sharon Lewis Homes
I like the look of no trim, depending on what your view is ,not useful of homes in the suburbs unless of course you have a great private backyard or you enjoy looking at your neighbors, lol
February 24, 2014 at 2:44am   
Mark
We are very traditional in style so for us we like the white trim around our windows. I appreciate all the other looks but for me a window just looks unfinished without any trim at all.
February 24, 2014 at 2:56am     
simplycharmed
All those looks were great, but you can't beat the fresh look of white on white. Classic.
February 24, 2014 at 5:45am     
Kashetah Bedford
I enjoy any trim that a allows tons of natural light into a room.
February 24, 2014 at 6:09am   
littlebonz
I prefer Wood on eggshell or off white
February 24, 2014 at 6:31am   
Cope Closet Concepts
I am a sucker for stone anything!
February 24, 2014 at 7:57am     
Studio M Interior Design
No trim is the best trim, especially for contemporary or modern architectural styles :)
February 24, 2014 at 10:04am   
Melissa Price_Molaski
We have no trim at our house.
February 24, 2014 at 11:04am   
Bonnie Johnston
Always white trim, width depending on the house style. I like white trim with colour on the walls too. Never goes out of style.
February 24, 2014 at 11:46am     
msagez
I'm a sucker for stone
February 24, 2014 at 12:02pm   
Sheri
wood trim
February 24, 2014 at 12:30pm   
sunnie2day
I chose 'white on white' although in our current home it's only white on white along the back, in front it's the original cream on burgundy on stone face.
February 24, 2014 at 12:45pm   
judijon
My choice was no trim, and I commented under that photo. One aside, we live in a home with a view, sunsets included. We have no window treatments per se, but at the end of the day the lowered sun becomes "blinding," so we do have single cell shades both for light diffusion and insulation. I worked at Home Depot when we were having our house built, and there were several companies represented with sample blinds the public could raise and lower. What a great way to make a choice! Over time the blind that held up best from repeated use was the Bali brand, so that's what we have in our house. It's been 7 years now, and the single cell blinds have held up beautifully. I did make the mistake of choosing a "bottom up" feature for the largest window in the house and eventually purchased a "top down" instead.
February 24, 2014 at 2:14pm     
Red Fox Design
Very Interesting subject. If you have a breathtaking view as many in Colorado are blessed with, the ultrathin window trim in View #1 could be a real options. It could be used with a number of styles of homes with views such as mountains, forests, city scapes, or rock formations The view could be featured element with most any architectural style, not just modern.
February 24, 2014 at 3:33pm   
marjie1059
No trim is great for focusing on the view. I want to live outside without being cold in winter or hot in summer, so I want anything that brings me closer to that.
Grew up in 1890 house with painted white wood trim and never thought about it. Now live in 1895 home with poplar trim down and painted trim upstairs. New kitchen has cherry trim stained to match cabinets. Love it, and the only reason I'm considering window treatments on two of the windows is that passing traffic can see in those windows.
Stone can easily seem heavy and cold and forbidding. Wood generally seems warm and classy, though I personally think blond wood easily looks cheap.
February 24, 2014 at 4:08pm   
rnbaker
We had dark pine woodwork for 42 years. We just built a new home and have white on whie woodwork throughout. I love it. We chose not to do window treatments, but do have half-window plantation shutters for privacy. We can block the sun when necessary or leave open. Our home has a country cottage look with touches of shabby chic. As you grow older, it is wonderful to have a bright, cheery home. Wouldn't change a thing. Our kitchen/dining area is a very open concept and we have a wonderful pair of windows over the kitchen sink which gives us a wonderful view of our backyard.
February 24, 2014 at 8:36pm   
Darci Parrish
I love Craftsman style window trim with the added moulding on the tops!
February 24, 2014 at 9:34pm     
micstamper
My vote goes for the classic stained wood trim.
February 24, 2014 at 9:45pm   
Cynthia Charleville
The no trim looks awesome...we can all agree on that. But think about it, this is like a resort area, it wouldn't make sense in most residential areas. Also, has anyone mentioned yet that there is no trim because there are no walls?? The windows are the walls...which means there is no need or use for trim...
February 25, 2014 at 8:41am   
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
If you have the money to maintain, wood on wood is classic!
February 25, 2014 at 9:06am   
Designer's Edge Kitchen & Bath
Being from the Pacific NW, I love the first photo with the thin framed windows that wrap around the corner allowing those fantastic views in. That being said--trim needs to be in harmony with the architecture of the existing home or it will look out of place, or worse, clash with the interior/exterior.
February 25, 2014 at 11:17am   
toriella24
I have ultra thin trim and love the look!
February 25, 2014 at 4:24pm     
Nancy Kress
I love the stone trim. It adds warmth and beauty to an otherwise drab room.
February 25, 2014 at 5:16pm     
tkejbou
Window trim makes a very big difference in any room. I like them all. The white on white is what I went with in my home
February 26, 2014 at 7:23am   
lirael423
I would take any of these window trims in my house, because that would mean I am no longer a grad student living in an apartment. :D As it is right now, there are a few smallish windows in the middle of a white wall with no trim. Bor-ing!
February 26, 2014 at 9:40am   
Patricia Aytes
The stone and the window nook makes me feel like I'm outside reading in comfort!
February 28, 2014 at 12:38pm   
anne dee
I prefer casement as seen in the pic
February 28, 2014 at 12:48pm     
fhoagland
White on white always works, classic.
March 2, 2014 at 6:22am   
Wanda Dunaway
We currently have white on white, but I love the more modern looks.
March 2, 2014 at 6:27am   
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to @helehhamilton for winning a pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, don't worry, you still have a few days left to get your comments into our Bedroom poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/868104/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL-How-would
March 3, 2014 at 2:46pm   
anne dee
congratulations to @helehhamilton you lucky dog ;-)
Enjoy your slippers!!
March 13, 2014 at 7:45am   
POLL: What's your favorite color?
What's your favorite paint color in your home? Vote...
POLL: What's your favorite way to relax?
Which one of these would relax you most? Vote for...
POLL: What's Your Favorite Thing to Do at Home during December?
Although the month of December can be quite cold (in...
Carpet over tiles
We have just moved into a house which has ceramic tiles...
What color should our gutters & downspouts be?
We are having gutters installed next week & I have...
will two styles of sofas work in a small den?
We have a den/tv room with a small contemporary leather...
Guest bed drama! Advice for twin XL pop up trundle
I'm looking for a twin XL bed frame that is high enough...
Green exterior disaster
Hello. We just moved into our brand new home 2 months...