Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nebraskafarmhouse

How do I combine these spaces?

Stacy R
10 years ago
The room with the fireplace was originally a bedroom. Previous owner opened up the wall and added the fireplace. I call this the "den". Since we've lived here, the den has been underutilized and overlooked.

For the time being, I do not want to deal with any construction, just cosmetic fixes (paint walls, add drapes, rearrange furniture, add shelves, etc.). Trim must stay current color because it is consistent throughout the house and I don't want to tackle that project yet.

We'd love to do a major remodel that includes this room, but we only plan to live in the house for 6-10 more years. Depending on the cost, we may still proceed at some point, but not right now.

What suggestions do you have for unifying this space into one usable family room? This space is used mainly for TV viewing, and it needs to be "toddler friendly" :)

Picture notes:
The layout shown is the current home layout. The treadmill will be moved to the basement.
The TV is now a flat panel on a TV stand that has approximately the same footprint as the big screen. (old picture)

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    10 years ago
    Paint it all one colour - I would pick a lighter colour in the stone on the fireplace (the light blonde rock seems light and neutral) and paint it all one colour. That way the trim (which matches the fireplace) will work beautifully with the walls. Add in a few arm chairs beside the fireplace, a rug between them and Bob 's your uncle.
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! My tastes were a lot bolder when I painted these rooms than they are now. Here's a picture of the rooms when we first bought the house. Is this what you were thinking? I think this color makes the space look outdated. Thoughts? My style taste is very traditional and I lean toward grays.
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Definitely unify the space with paint as Cancork suggested. However, having dealt with a native stone fireplace in a previous life, the "lighter color in the stone" paint suggestion is going to make the fireplace have a "look at me!! I am a big fireplace!" moment. Go with a midtone, such as BM Glacial Till. This will read as a taupey gray.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Greige is your answer - warm and darker! Paint all the adjoining spaces in a shade of it that works with the stone in the FP. You can work three shades from the same color strip into your space by using light shades in the darkest 'rooms' and darker shades where you have the most natural light. It will flow but not be monotonous. I'd reduce the depth of the hearth, possibly eliminating it altogether. If you can save some the stones from it you can probably use them to bring the FP straight down to floor level for a more up to date look. Paint the brass firescreen with heat proof black paint for a quick update. Replace the tools and kindling basket with black set ones. Your DR hutch could be updated by removing the top and either refinishing or adding granite or other solid material to the top of the base. Hang a nice piece of art in place of the top. A new chandelier is not that expensive. Hang it less than 36" from the table top. Could you remove a leaf from the table to make it round, or do you use all of it everyday? Snug the two chairs closer to the sofa so they don't 'overhang' into the adjoining space, and get a new coffee table to put 18" from the sofa. If you can't do new furniture now, try washable toddler-friendly slipcovers. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/going-greige-tips-for-choosing-this-all-around-neutral-stsetivw-vs~577375
    http://www.hgtv.com/decorating-basics/10-tips-for-finding-the-perfect-coffee-table/pictures/page-4.html
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions!

decoenthusiaste, I saw the idea to use heat proof black paint on pinterest. I love that idea! The dining room furniture stays as is for now. It was my grandmother's set and I will pass it on to another family member when we decide to switch. We don't eat at the table more than twice a year, and it is used mostly as a desk. I'd like to take out the leaf to make it round, but my husband insists we leave it full size. I will definitely consider lowering the chandelier.

m3459, I like your color choice, especially the suggested coordinating colors from the BM website.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- You should do things with the house for the time you are using the house and not just for re-sale . You have to enjoy the home for yourselves .You say you are traditional and what you have now is more country .Are you thinking of changing your décor ? I cannot see you using grey because of the fireplace . Go more into the greyed down browns like shown above . Then you could go into the blues for furniture and accents . Paint the whole space one color . Too many wall colors just makes the space seem smaller and adds to the visual clutter . I would do a little construction and steal that closet space for the master bedroom by re-moving that center closet wall , I am sure you would like that extra storage in the master. Or that closet could be turned into a small desk/computer space. Then you could add some book shelves on that wall (which would also have a space for the TV )and along the fireplace wall . If you are getting new flooring , then that would be a good time to cut back that hearth and square it off - I think it's too big and lumpy . Then you could have a small sofa with a lounge end in front of the window wall ,and then add another comfy chair or two for reading and watching TV . I think some wood shutters or blinds ,that are the color of the trim would be fine on the window in that room . A nice big round rustic wood frame mirror or a big painting on the fireplace and put your small clock elsewhere . Then a track light or a ceiling hugger fan and some bookcase lights to finish the room . I think it's important to up date the house weather it's for future re-sale or for yourself .
    Stacy R thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    Hibbs Homes
    10 years ago
    Revere pewter by Benjamin Moore is a fantastic color that adds a touch of modernity and would contrast nicely with the wood on the trim.

As far as utilizing the space, you could turn this into a playroom and have plenty of room for toy storage, art areas, and various stations. Add some comfortable seating for adults, and it would be an ideal space when entertaining with a larger group of families.

Additionally, you could find furniture that pulls double duty. Paint a coffee table with train tracks or chalkboard paint and mount sliding closet drawers underneath for trains or art supplies.
    Stacy R thanked Hibbs Homes
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    lefty47, I love your suggestions! We plan to remove or replace the door closet door. Funny you should mention the idea of claiming the closet for the bedroom. I've attached the layout of what I'd like to do if/when we do a bigger remodel. You're right that my current style is very country. It fits our furnishings, but I would like it to be traditional. Unfortunately it takes a lot of work/money to make those changes for an entire house, but this is my starting point. I'd love any suggestions that allow me to go more traditional and utilize my existing layout and furnishings. I'll admit the couch and chairs should be replaced.

I've also thought of converting the closet to an office space. Now I just have to figure out where to put all that junk :)

The carpet is staying for now, and therefore so is the hearth. I dislike it as much as you do. There are oak floors under den and dining room, but not living room, that I'd like to refinish, but again that's for another day.

Hibbs Homes, I've seen Revere Pewter used in a lot of photos on Houzz and I really love that color. Do you think it would look okay with both the stone and the trim?
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    libradesigneye, I love your ideas for the closet using the colors I posted and for the layout with the chair in the corner so I can still view the TV. I can definitely see using a design like that and leaving the closet space open as an office area/toy storage.
  • Janie Burton
    10 years ago
    Considering the definite golden brown tones in your stone fireplace and the brown stained trim, I would go with deep brown on the walls around the fireplace - like Sherwin Williams Black Bean. Your cream carpet would look better with browns than with grays. If you want gray and will keep your current carpet, I liked the idea of gray with warm nonblue undertones. In any event, I would remove the brass fireplace screen and use a plain black one and add a nice sized mantel. Enhance the fireplace and make it a beautiful focal point!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    I don't think you would be happy with revere pewter (gorgeous as it is) and here's why. It can be warm, but not against stone with your tones. The glacial till is an excellent color for you to work with the blue and the stone. Warm grays / greiges like that are amazing in a space. It will bring it all together - I'm concerned that revere pewter will go off really gray against your stone and blue and the room will always feel cold.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Thank You Nebraska for liking my comment . Just had another idea from looking at your floor plan . Consider stitching the dining and living room . I think it would be better to have the living room at the front in the bigger space . I think it would be better flow to break up the two seating areas . It will make things more interesting . And also you show stools around the kitchen island and that puts people in the way of the working side of the kitchen . So maybe some fine tuning is needed before you remodel that area . I also love Revere Pewter paint color but I don't think that is enough for your rooms . It has a green cast to it . Have a look at the paints at Restorationhardware.com , they are beautiful , you may find a color there that will work for you.
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks lefty! my major renovation plans are still in the works, so I'm not sure how the kitchen will be laid out in the end. Right now we are using a table and chairs. My husband would rather keep it that way and not have an island.
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Libra, thanks for your thoughts! I agree that revere pewter just isn't right for the space. Although I wish it was!
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I made a few of the suggested changes and painted the rooms with my program using the Glacial Till color suggested. Here's what it looks like. Are there any suggestions for which pieces of furniture would fit in the space well and how to arrange them? We plan to upgrade, so current seating arrangement can go. Which color/material do you suggest for furniture? Currently we have a large couch in front of the large picture window. I'd like to be able to see out the window if possible. What about drape color/pattern? In my picture, I used Baby Seal Black.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    If it were my home, I would use a sectional with its long, long side to the window and the short side back to dining with a sofa table behind. That would provide more "put your feet up" space / aim some seating at the fireplace at the end of hte room and break up the bowling alley in the center. The sofa table lined up with the wall arch with lamps. Then at the other end of the picture window, you can use a bench in front of the fireplace that can be brought back in and moved around . . . or a pair of ottomans. I heard you say that you like gray, but you do have a lot of brown trim and wood furniture, and one of the reasons to introduce the green (which is a great neutral / casework color) is to help balance.

Because of your stone, and the wood tones, you have a few ways to go with new seating. I have found with my sons that I really appreciated having slipcovered sofas so that they could just be washed, and over time I also got two slipcovers so I could have a summer stripe and a winter dark. So I want to suggest that you look for your main sofa at place that has been in business a long time and does slipcover sofas. Ikea has some great options for less, and Pottery Barn has good quality that will last forever. Colors that you would find make a good color story for your room in neutrals? Mid-tone gray (but not gray blue or platinum or gray-green - on the charcoal side - because you said you love it. A camel based tan could work. I vote for denim - durable, the blues would give you relief from the brown - but stay away from blue-grens. . . back with some inspiration textiles. . You could then go sort of blue and white and dijon yellow in the kitchen. .
  • anilmistry86
    10 years ago
    hey, add light beige colour to d wall, fire wall to be dark colour & all furniture go for natural wooden polish. add american pletes types curtains, I think that's enough for this ..... light beige colour give good ambience ..
  • shanhouse
    10 years ago
    I definitely like the suggestion of flipping the living room & dining room. I think you would gain a bigger living room plus you would gain some privacy in the study since it would now be next to the less often used dining room.
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Libra, I like your idea for furniture layout. I'm thinking if leaning toward the darker greenish gray, maybe similar to the Gloucester sage.
  • Stacy R
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Shanhouse, thank you for your suggestion. I agree that switching the rooms would allow for a more usable living room. I have to admit that the thought of bring able to see out the picture window without a couch in front of it is pretty appealing. However, I'm not sure moving the main gathering space further from the fireplace is a good idea. That's something to consider though.
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    10 years ago
    You may want to consider something like this modular wall unit to help define the space. You can get cabinetry that works with your kitchen as well, bringing the space together. The shelves and drawers can be moved as your needs change. There is also space to hook up a tv and hide the wiring behind.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2013-collection-contemporary-home-office-new-york-phvw-vp~3863941
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2013-collection-contemporary-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~3863948

Best of luck! Feel free to write us if you have any questions.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Look at the twill caramel tone - http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-comfort-3-piece-sectional-wedge/?cm_src=AutoRel
    It would be warm and echo the warm tones in the stone and still be neutral enough for you to add chairs in another neutral that will help set the palette. Here is the accent fabric that made me think of you
    http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/gold/galahad+crewel+golden+olive.do

It has a putty gray, it has some olive in it and some hits of deep rusty red. This would make beautiful curtains that go in every room. You could then shift the wall color to a sort of putty greige then that coordinates with the gloucester sage - like bm winterwood or sw agreeable gray - these look great next to wood trim.

When you add back the warm caramel colors in your fabrics, this kind of puttty tone from your stone is warm enough to work with the wood trim and give you the gray backdrop you want. Saddle leather chair and ottoman by the fire? Some dark camoflauge green-brown fabrics like the deeper trim accent in a bench can round out your room. . . .that could all work together well with your wood tones, and allow you to use the gloucester sage paint on the desk / closet area, maybe on a garage sale sofa table but get the neutral grays that you want into the room. In your kitchen it could be yellow and gray and white - lots of fabrics available for that.