To paint or not to paint
Nance
I have been trying to figure out a backsplash for my kitchen. Now I am wondering if I need to paint my cupboards an off white or cream color, replace my knobs to brushed bronze like my faucet and then pick out a backsplash. I can't afford to change my ceramic tile at this time so fear light cupboards might not go with my floor. Any ideas..
Engrav's Decorating
A ceramic backsplash and new handles on your cupboard drawers and doors will make a positive impact. That's what I would do.
February 21, 2014 at 5:10PM        Thanked by Nance
decofriend
I like your wood cabinets and they appear to be in good condition. Have you considered bronze pulls and handles? A new softer backsplash and coordinating neutral walls will update your look and are not that expensive. While you wait, remove the tiles and paint that wall to tie it to the sink wall.
February 21, 2014 at 5:24PM        Thanked by Nance
Brandi Nash Hicks
Paint,and paint the walls also ,color looks dated for a kitchen ,maybe white for cabinets ,light gray on the wall
February 21, 2014 at 5:30PM   
collettec
I don't think I would go light with the backsplash. I think I'd go with a medium to darker taupe color tile that worked with both the existing cabinets and countertops. I would go with a light gray as a wall color.

February 21, 2014 at 5:42PM        Thanked by Nance
Designs by BSB
Painting cabinets would be the most expensive option/line item. I 2nd collettec's recommendation. If you compare the photo he/she shared to your kitchen -- notice the balance, not only within your kitchen, but the open floor plan you have.
Installing a backsplash that is much similar shade as the countertop -- on both walls of the kitchen, will give more uniformity and I believe, would draw less attention to the negative balance.
If you offered a photo showing the adjoining room? Id be more elective of offering more opinion. Looks open -- so choices for this room can only be made with confidence when you know the view! :-)
February 21, 2014 at 6:23PM        Thanked by Nance
hayleydaniels
I agree about not painting your cabinets, but updating the hardware to oiled bronze. I have similar cabinets, only a shade lighter, and was absolutely amazed at how much better they looked by simply changing the brass hardware to oiled bronze. It deepened the color of them, and made them look so much richer in appearance. Even my husband keep marveling at what a change it made. And best of all, it only cost me $70 to do 22 doors and 10 drawers! Here's a link to what I went with from Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00897DBC0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
February 21, 2014 at 6:41PM        Thanked by Nance
Designs by BSB
IMO - ORB is next in line to be the predecessor to the grandfather, polished brass
February 21, 2014 at 7:07PM        Thanked by Nance
HI -- You do not need to paint the cabinets . Find a tile in the same darkness as the counter like a plain dark grey /black for the backsplash or use the same granite as the counter tops . If you go with the tile ,use a larger subway shape with real tight grout lines and maybe in a stacked pattern .Then have dark matt pewter or bronze hardware .
February 21, 2014 at 7:18PM        Thanked by Nance
Nance
Thank you all for your advice. I love the idea of changing the hardware as I realize now how stark they look. I am attaching a picture of the adjoining dining room and one of the many tiles I had picked for the backsplash. The tile comes in 13 x 13 inch squares and the 2 x 2 crackled glass squares match my granite great, so I thought of cutting the tiles in half and running a line with the 2 x 2's sitting right above my many light switch plates and the tile on the top and the bottom. I keep bringing home very light colored tiles because I think I have to match my floor for some reason. I am going to try a darker one and perhaps that will do the trick. Any advice is so appreciated.
February 21, 2014 at 8:07PM   
Nance
hayleydaniels, Thank you for the link to amazon, both links were for the same handle, do they have the drawer pulls as well as the open handles. I guess I could look but thought perhaps you would know. Thanks again..You guys are all so great and helpful
February 21, 2014 at 8:12PM   
taurusgurl5984
If you like the wood - I still recommend just changing out your hardware. As I said yesterday, I do like the color of those tiles that you picked but I am not as crazy about the large light colored tile. I think you should heed the advice above and go more warm grey/taupe color. Have fun!
February 21, 2014 at 8:14PM        Thanked by Nance
Nance
hayleydaniels, found them...thank you
February 21, 2014 at 8:23PM     
Screened in porch
Me and my wife bought a starter home with the intention...
Need help with turning my living room into a kids cooking classroom
Hello, I'm planning to host some kids cooking classes...
Is it even worth it? Screen porch and return on investment. I'd love y
I would really like a screened in porch. We have an...