Need help with this space.....
pwhit
Several years ago we renovated a den & living room tearing down a wall. My dilemma is this area, no window not sure what to do, please help. Other side of great room is 4th pic.
Mark
I think this area would make a cozy library/reading area. You could add lights to the bookcases and the white cabinetry would brighten up this area and it would no longer just be a dark space but a bright and functional one too.
8 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 5:23AM
pwhit
Thought about shelves on one wall and the secretary and mirrors on the other secretary between each mirror. What do you think?
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 5:40AM
pwhit
Any other ideas?
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 9:13AM
KShoa
Just to clarify, those walls are indoor walls or do they connect to outside? If they connect to outside, you can put windows where the mirrors are.

Also, any chance of installing a skylight there or is it a 2 story house?
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 10:39AM
studio10001
I don't think the mirrors are really working to your advantage, and also like the idea of adding white library shelving. I also think a secondary seating grouping would balance nicely with the other side of the room.
On a secondary note, I am unclear what the main seating area is pointed towards. Are we missing a relevant wall?
2 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 10:45AM
pwhit
Focal wall is where our tv is. Trying to join 2 rooms has been harder than I thought! Especially the fireplace and that dreaded corner. Thanks for all the help! Need all suggestions possible.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 3:13PM
Warner Decor
Hi! I think the corner of the room is missing something. I think I would move the chair to the corner and get a new lamp. Here are a few ideas:
http://deciture.com/shop/lighting/7/knox-floor-lamp/
http://deciture.com/shop/lighting/7/phillips-arch-floor-lamp/
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 3:17PM
pwhit
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 3:20PM
hebatalla1987
If I were you I would put a piano ;) or would rearrange the whole room to make a bigger sitting area around the fire place.
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 3:27PM
studio10001
Divide and conquer: rather than treat this as one large area w a dark corner, try thinking of this as two areas, and give a different function to each.
You have a clear designation for the left side, so why fight it? Tighten the seating arrangement to face the TV, and consider an area rug to delineate the space better.
Why not let the right side of the room revolve around the fireplace more, by facing the chairs toward the fireplace w an ottoman or table between them. You could use it as a gathering spot for hors d'oeuvres or cocktails, if you entertain, by positioning 4 chairs around your ottoman , or you could add a gaming or library table for more quiet pursuits ( which are now handily stored in your new corner bookcase). A second area rug to compliment the first will keep both looks tied together.
Lastly, if there is space, moving your TV to the blind corner of the photos ( across from its current position, but angled) would separate your seating arrangement from the walkway, and allow more uninterrupted viewing.
4 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 8:34PM
genn1985
Flip your chairs around....I would put those two beige chairs (keep the pillows on them) face the chairs facing the fireplace so it's own little reading/relaxing area. Put the pattern chairs in the living room
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 9:04PM
genn1985
Get the romantic feel when you face your chairs towards the fireplace
1 Like   February 22, 2014 at 9:06PM
abbyjean
Any chance your dining table could move to in front of the fireplace? It looks like a nice big table and the fireplace room is a good size for it? Obviously I have no idea what your dining area looks like and I am sure it is all a good fit there, too, but just wanted to throw that idea out there and maybe the dining area could be used as a different purpose then, too?
2 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 9:17PM
pwhit
Like the idea of corner bookcases with lights. Tweaking the room arrangement today from your suggestions. No room for tv on opposite wall, French doors on that wall leading to dining room. Table in front of FP doesn't work for me tried that several months ago with sitting area in breakfast nook. Will post pics of suggested arrangement when done. Would like your continued ideas much appreciated! Thanks to all!
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 2:46AM
pwhit
I agree the mirrors are not working with that placement, they were a bear to put up, very heavy. Will have to move them or sell them, any suggestions?
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 2:49AM
Mark
If you do go with the bookcases then you could move the secretary where the grandfather clock is and where the secretary is now you could hang one of the mirrors. I can't see the whole livingroom so hopefully their is a spot where the grandfather clock could go. Maybe in the entry ? I can't see but the other mirror could go at the end of a hallway or in the diningroom maybe.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 3:14AM
depakartso
I would like to see a plant stand -- obviously, you need to add light. Overhead light if possible, then a multi-tier stand with some interesting plants. Only if you like plants, of course. Or a tree -- bamboo or ficus could stand in the corner and dress it up.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 3:33AM
pwhit
Mark, you have the same ideas as I do. Like your train of thought. Did you use an app to place the bookcase in my room? Would you go with the traditional bookcase or something a little more modern that will still go with my FP and kitchen. It would def be white.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 11:10AM
pwhit
Studio 10001, like your ideas too! I am changing the room as you suggested I think I understand what your saying. What type of rug sisal, seagrass or ? I'm not sure a pattern would work since I already have 4 different patterns in couch, chairs and cloverleaf ottoman.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 11:18AM
Mark
I think I would go with a shaker style door, but still go with the crown at the top of the bookcase. I like the idea of the cabinetry at the bottom, I wouldn't want to have too many shelves. So I guess I would say your bookcases would be transitional in style. What do you think ?
2 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 11:23AM
Here's another option for you, especially if you don't have enough books and decor to fill up a huge bookcase. Center the secretary on that wall and flank it with the two mirrors to draw light into the darkness. Place your two tub chairs in the TV area and the two beige ones centered on the FP, angled with a round table between them and maybe a hassock out in front similar to below. On the wall left of the FP put a console table with art, lamp and a floral piece.
Lakemont
Miami-Hall
2 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 11:34AM
abbyjean
Hoping you try what deco suggested. Propping the mirrors on the floor/wall will help get a thumbs up or down when you send the pics, too. I rather like the secretary in the fireplace room as it adds a lot to that space and almost wondered if the clock would be appropriate in there, too.

Would love to see the couch straight with the tv and the patterned chairs on each end of it. The chair that sits in the doorway with the table....bothers me......and I know it will not stay there, too. I think the taller chairs will be a good fit with the fireplace.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 12:19PM
Is there room on the right of the FP for the clock?
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:09PM
pwhit
Here's what I've done so far.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:26PM
pwhit
Here's what I've done so far....
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:31PM
pwhit
And....
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:34PM
pwhit
Need a small round table for chairs at FP, ottoman won't fit.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:35PM
abbyjean
I really like the couch straight and the patterned chairs with it. Still wish there was a way for the one chair to not be part ways in the other room. Can the couch move down a bit if the side table closest to the window moved? The couch really does not need one at both ends, but not sure if that would help, either.

Also, since there is the chaise on the couch, is the ottoman a must for the tv part? Could it move with the chairs to the fireplace area???
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 1:38PM
abbyjean
Oops.....guess we overlapped with the ottoman part.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 1:40PM
pwhit
One more, whatcha think guys? Need honesty.
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:42PM
96140000
first time
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:46PM
abbyjean
SNAP! I think the secretary will need to stay scooted over just to cover the outlet. I liked that wall until I noticed the cords.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 1:47PM
abbyjean
It will be a small move and easy to put back, but I would like to see those chairs facing each other in front of the fireplace once, too. One will get the side table and the other one has the plant table beside it.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 1:47PM
abbyjean
Is that a little white footstool that could go in front of one chair?
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 1:49PM
pwhit
Abbyjean, this ones for you.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 2:19PM
abbyjean
Now I like that! Thank you! I would not have both chairs with the tables on the identical side. The chair that has the floor lamp....nice it is there for that chair....could have the table next to the floor lamp instead.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 2:25PM
No tables with the chairs if they face each other. They need a hassock between them. If they face the FP, they need a table between. If in front of it, anchor them with an area rug. When angled, use round table, if squared up,hen a square or rectangle. As for the outlet - here's a place where plants come in handy. Flank the secretary with a pair of ceramic garden stools topped with a beautiful fern - they do well in darker areas - and they outlet will get covered while the fern adds some softness and the stool adds color. Living Room - Nook Summer House
Eclectic Living Room
Orange Ceramic Garden Stool with Dragon Motif
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 3:57PM
studio10001
You've been busy. :) Yes, a solid colour carpet would be fine. I am seeing a green undertone to your wall colour, and if so, an olive shade could be especially nice, but you have a number of shades in your patterned chairs to pull from, as well. You might also mix pattern at the fireplace w a solid in the main area, if you like. The main seating group could be tightened just a tad more.
You have a wonderful focal point in your fireplace; I think your mirrors are better suited to a room in which they can be the primary focus, alone.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 4:51PM
Looking more closely, would you want to try the sofa table left of the FP to get a feel for how that might work? As for the chairs at the FP, I note the back of one sticks out into the doorway, so I think I'd prefer they face the FP with a table between them. Here's a chart for helping get the table height right. Have you ever used the secretary in your foyer? Did you consider using the two mirrors there? I think a pair of sisal, or wool sisal-look area rugs, will be the ticket for anchoring your space.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 5:38PM
pwhit
Studio, so you think I should build bookcases? Any other suggestions for that dreaded dark corner if I don't use the mirrors? BTW, thanks for your help on rugs (no green undertone on walls must be lighting).
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 5:45PM
pwhit
Deco, thanks for your comments! Foyer has huge glazed window beside front door too much glare for two mirrors. Considering moving secretary where grandfather clock is now, still having problem with dark corner may move sofa table to wall beside FP just to get an idea. Sisal is my first choice in rugs too!
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 5:58PM
Mark
Not liking this arrangement at all. It had so much more personality before, this is so predictable. If you like it then that's all that matters. Best of luck with everything and I hope it all turns beautiful for you.
3 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 12:02AM
studio10001
I'm partial to the idea of anything that would draw that end of the room into the main, and the bookcases would give it a purpose, and act as a brightener. If that idea starts a new set of problems ( what do I put in this bookcase?) you might then consider literally drawing the wall forward, by building out the center portion just enough to create two alcoves - one for your desk and the second for well lit wall art, or a dry bar, etc.- whatever sits your lifestyle best. My concern w both options would be how they direct the eye.
]
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 9:38AM
Mark
If you go with the bookcases I would think about putting a game table, something that fits with your decor of course. I really think that having this part of the room designated to a reading, playing cards etc. would not only be functional but it would help to fill that dead space that is there now.

Remodel: Whole House "Let's Spice Things Up A Bit"
A Modern Gem
3 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 11:10AM
hebatalla1987
I go with a game table too
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 3:03PM
genn1985
I haven't been back too see... I like those chairs a lot over by the fire place. What do you think?
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 7:11PM
genn1985
I like the chairs facing the fireplace better. The chairs facing each other could be awkward If you actually sit in them. Face to face I dunno.....
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 7:14PM
genn1985
Put your hutch in the corner on an angle and then hang those mirrors beside each other. One higher then they other
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 7:15PM
genn1985
Put the bigger side table in front with a plant
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 7:16PM
genn1985
Or you can do a row of floating shelves way cheaper then built in book shelves. But include those mirrors I love them. Now im done haha
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 7:18PM
mikeamytina
i would scrap the mirrors. put bookcases on both sides of fireplace (white). then regroup chairs around fire place with a large round rug to warm it up. plus track lighting for bookcases and secretaries.
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 10:59PM
Need help to design an indoor space for a laundry space on the small b
I need to put a second dryer&washer and a second refrigerator...
wabellevue
Kitchen Design/Space Planning - Need Help with Awkward Space
I am planning a total remodel for my small (8' x 14')...
sallieleo
Need help for converting my dining space into a dining cum lobby space
I am attaching a photo of my 1922 sq.ft. home currently...
samkhan
I need help with my children room and shoe storage I have 4 I need to create enough space.
I need some organizing ideas which are not costly because...
muyinza
Need to Update my Kitchen!
We are getting ready to sell. If possible, we would...
S Koko
help for my dining and living room
hi, this is my living and dining room. something bothers...
filiozep
Kitchen countertop
We are trying to come up with an alternative to the...
gordsc
Need help with this master bedroom redecorating
We are so excited to get to redecorate. Does the picture...
markliman
What should I do with this faux fireplace?
We moved into a brand new home and our decorator designed...
paradox44