What would you do to this office/den?
Amy Maguire
I am wondering how to approach redesigning this office/den. The outdated purple stone fireplace isn't aesthetically pleasing, nor is it practical, with a lack of real storage space in the room. I can't decide if I should place a desk in the middle of the window area with just built in shelves/lower storage against fireplace wall, or if I should create a built in desk with upper shelves and molding to surround/match the fireplace, and put instead seating like a loveseat or a cozy chair in front of windows and possibly a flat screen over fireplace (we don't use this fireplace at all to actually light a fire). Any space planning/built in ideas would be much appreciated!
jabbott2012
Do you use this room as an actual office for work, or is it just used occasionally? What other functions does the room need to have?
   February 22, 2014 at 1:13PM
Amy Maguire
I am a mother of 5 so I have an enormous amount of paperwork, craft materials like pens, markers, tape, camera equipment/chargers, computer, etc. I eventually may work from home but for now it is command central for homework, reading, scheduling events, research.. I am certainly in need of more closed storage options. Also, the rug originally in the room is upscale- and gray like an Irish sweater- with matching painted bookshelves that are pulled from stone fireplace colors. I could switch paint but like the carpet a lot. Hope that helps!
   February 22, 2014 at 7:55PM
jabbott2012
Can you provide room measurements? (they don't have to be exact, just an estimate). Also, do you have a budget to get additional furniture, lighting, etc.? Let us know a little more details and you should get more advice. I'll try to help also, but it will be great if one of the pros weighs in.
   February 24, 2014 at 4:07PM
Amy Maguire
Room is approximately 14 1/2 x 17 and in total for this room as far as possibly doing new rug and adding better/more closed built in storage and furniture and drapes would be able to work with about 20k.
   February 24, 2014 at 7:21PM
jabbott2012
With that budget we'll want the pros to help you. Let's start by posting more information so they'll take notice. What are some of your favorite colors? What are the colors in the adjoining room(s).
1 Like   February 25, 2014 at 4:50PM
jabbott2012
Can you draw an outline of the room with approximate dimensions for each wall?
   February 25, 2014 at 4:51PM
jabbott2012
And are all five kids at home and will be using this room? If so, what are their age ranges? Will there be a need for computer monitors, charging stations, etc.? What about a TV in here?
   February 25, 2014 at 4:52PM
Amy Maguire
The entire first floor will be reworked- but this room seems to get me and others "stuck"... for the most part it is a home office- considering a partners type desk where more than one person could sit and do homework- computer could go against fireplace wall (which I have pretty much decided is worth completely covering and using as a wall full of built ins complete with computer monitor (so that way desk could have laptop or no computer on it at any given time) and yes, I am considering having a small flat screen in the room as part of the built in wall. Kids range from 13-3 yrs- lots of binders for school info, markers, pens, supplies- in need of closed storage for all that but still want it to look elegant/pretty not too "office heavy". I don't think I could outline the room.
   February 25, 2014 at 5:32PM
rickpollard
Amy....I like your idea of covering the entire fireplace with a large, functional built-in unit...it's about your only option given all the windows/doors in the room. Desk space at the bottom with closed, upper storage (maybe some open shelves to balance). You can always remove this some day if you want your fireplace back. The bay window is awesome...one idea would be to custom build a low, round table with comfortable pillows or beanbag style seating all the way around for your kids to commune and craft, write, do hw, etc. Good luck!
   Thanked by Amy Maguire    February 25, 2014 at 6:19PM
jabbott2012
Is the fireplace functional? How long is the fireplace wall? Can you post a picture of the wall that's to the left of the bay window? What do the French doors lead to?
   February 25, 2014 at 6:47PM
jabbott2012
Also, can you post some pictures of other rooms in your house so we can get an idea of the style you prefer?
   February 25, 2014 at 6:48PM
Amy Maguire
I would- if the entire first floor wasn't also going to be remodeled! I live in a center entrance New England colonial, I like traditional mixed with eclectic design.
   February 25, 2014 at 7:07PM
Amy Maguire
The wall next to bay window mirrors exactly the corner built in's seen on the other side. Fireplace wall is 11 feet long. French doors lead to a dining room. White paneled walls- no color scheme in that room yet.
   February 25, 2014 at 7:09PM
First thing to do is turn your desk around. Then you can build or buy floor to ceiling storage to put behind it, plus you get to look out the window while you work.

Get these Expedits and some bins from Ikea to line the walls of the bay. That will store lots of folders and the kids' stuff. Then put a round table with four chairs in front for them to work.
   February 25, 2014 at 7:48PM
Dining table and four chairs should do it for the kids. These are from Ikea.
   February 25, 2014 at 8:00PM
Addison Design
I would turn that desk around so that you're facing that awesome bay window. It will also help fill up the space.
   February 25, 2014 at 9:07PM
Addison Design
Put a comfy chair by the fireplace where your desk currently is.
   February 25, 2014 at 9:08PM
jabbott2012
I have to hit the hay.....way past my bedtime. A couple of things for grover and addision: amy is looking for lots of storage and seating (five kids do homework, etc in this room) and she has a budget of around $20k. So glad to see you both join in; I'm sure you'll have some great ideas.
   February 25, 2014 at 9:13PM
Office/den what to do?
I have only one wall to work with and we would like...
Create office/den and children's playroom
Hello! I am considering building this home. My 'issue'...
Garage office/den
The previous owners of this house converted the small...
Color coordinating in Office/Den
Paneling and gold colored walls, 2 royal navy chairs,...
Help needed choosing pillows!
I just received my new couch and armchairs but I have...
Help Honey Oak Kitchen & Black Appliances
I'm trying to do a DYI kitchen make over and I can't...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Need help with flooring
I have a small home with an open floor plan. The exterior...