Check the date of threads when responding..........
hayleydaniels
Be sure and check the date on threads you respond to as Houzz's computer system has started pulling up old related threads on the sidebar that a lot of people are responding to, especially the pros with items to sell.

I posted about this on the Using Houzz forum a few weeks ago asking what was going on, and got a lame answer. I think the system is set to pull up related topics to what you're reading regardless of age, hence the posts from 2012 being brought back from the grave.
I've emailed about this issue, hayleydaniels. It will be up to Houzzers to remedy it by not responding to those sidebar temptations, nor to those who do respond to them - it just continues to give them new life. Houzz does think they can be helpful to current Dilemma posters who may see something there that relates to their thread, but those who don't want to waste time with them need to take the reins on this. We need a button for "Don't show me this thread again."
February 22, 2014 at 6:02PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
bubbasgma
hayley/deco- sadly both your ideas would require people to read entire dilemmas. :-(
February 22, 2014 at 6:50PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
hayleydaniels
Yes, you've got a point there......What surprises me though is that so many of these old thread are reactivated by the pros suggesting something they sell.
February 22, 2014 at 6:57PM     
bubbasgma
Warner decor seems to be one of the primary pros who reincarnates these threads. She seems to just post links to sell items, doesn't offer much design advice and doesn't return to threads she has posted on. Perhaps she is an "autobot" spammer?
February 22, 2014 at 7:04PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
bubbasgma
@deco...we also need a button to report fake dilemmas and fake profiles.
February 22, 2014 at 7:05PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
happyasaclam
Ya'll are all right!!
February 22, 2014 at 7:06PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
bubbasgma
You're all right too, happy!!! Except on that resurrected landscaping dilemma. ;)

What's for breakfast tomorrow?
February 22, 2014 at 7:10PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
grobby
Yes, too many pros offering their wares for sale on Houzz. Could really do without the old dilemmas, too. Where's Houzz?. Help us out here!
February 22, 2014 at 7:18PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
happyasaclam
ha ha. Their Majesty's have not made their requests yet.
February 22, 2014 at 7:25PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
bubbasgma
Between the old resurrected dilemmas and the double/triple posts....ugh! No one reads before they type.
February 22, 2014 at 7:29PM        Thanked by hayleydaniels
What might help is if there were a required/automatic date when posting…2/22/14.

Duplicate posts are truly frustrating. You put great thought into the dilemma, and then find 30 other people have responded to the same question, but on a different post.
Then the poster gets mad because you mention it.
February 22, 2014 at 7:47PM     
bubbasgma
I see the dilemma dates on my laptop, Judy. You don't see dates on your device?
February 22, 2014 at 8:03PM   
Fred S
No dates until I open a discussion under the "related discussions" to find out when it was. On the normal list of current discussions, all I see is the date and time of the LAST post, so then I have to open it just to find out it is really from last year :(
SUCH A WASTE OF MY TIME. I now look to see if there is something I want to help with waaay less often.
February 22, 2014 at 8:51PM     
bubbasgma
Fred....You've given A LOT of very helpful advice. I rarely see anyone else provide the type of construction, code, electrical expertise that you do!! If Houzz loses peeps like you, it would be sad. You should e-mail them.
February 22, 2014 at 9:36PM     
Easier to open and then close old ones than to open, comment, and then see an old date.
February 23, 2014 at 5:22AM     
bubbasgma
JudyG....I usually enjoy seeing images of suggested items. But just posting link after link after link must be designed to drive traffic to a outside sales site. Perhaps pay is determined by numbers of site visits?

Happy- What's for breakfast?
February 23, 2014 at 7:39AM     
OnePlan
It might be some 'sellers' doing a search on the subject that interests them, and then they add their blurb ... So reactivating the old, done and dusted, thread... it's annoying eh!!!!
February 23, 2014 at 7:46AM     
grandrapidsbestdoors
Is Houzz responsive to feedback? I just started getting more active on this site, and I have to say it is really poorly curated.
February 23, 2014 at 7:58AM     
happyasaclam
Corn Flakes for b-fast today. :)
February 23, 2014 at 8:20AM     
I had Cherrio's with blueberries;) picked fresh from my head lol
February 23, 2014 at 8:23AM     
indianpatti
I had mushy oatmeal ... just had wisdom teeth pulled :(
February 23, 2014 at 8:26AM     
ewwww- indianpatti- gag me with a spoon;/
February 23, 2014 at 8:28AM   
bubbasgma
I'm so sorry indianpatti! Bags of frozen peas might help?? And don't suck on straws!!!!!
February 23, 2014 at 8:29AM   
saratogaswizzlestick
Poor indianpatti, perhaps Tasi's scotch tasting party would help.

I find all these all threads very irritating and have tried to let Houzz know as they don't seem to understand the problem. Here is where I have been posting. If you see another resurrected thread please add it here.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/842393/Old-threads-getting-bumped
February 23, 2014 at 8:36AM     
No, I just see the time, not the date. On this post, for instance, I am only seeing “20 hours ago”.
February 23, 2014 at 10:16AM     
bubbasgma
JudyG- The time (and eventually date) is always at the top of the dilemma. It will progress from minutes, to hours, to yesterday....etc. Once the post is 6 days old, it converts to an exact date. Unfortunately readers may have to scroll up to the top to read that date.
February 23, 2014 at 10:26AM     
bubbasgma
saratoga....

It looks like Houzz has changed the formatting on both the "main advice page" and on the "individual dilemma page".

The right-hand scroll on the "Main Advice Page" is now promoting Jeannie and Emily's Houzz Dilemmas instead of "Current Dilemmas"

The right-hand scroll on "Individual Dilemmas" has now been changed to "Related (OLD) Dilemmas".

Houzz contends that these old dilemmas are helpful for people researching how others have resolved dilemmas similar to the one they are reading about. This might be the case, IF people read the heading before they pulled up the threads and then READ the date AND the entire thread before they commented. =(
February 23, 2014 at 10:40AM     
Fred S
I don't have a big problem with the OLD related discussions, just the lack of an original post date. Hopefully, it keeps me from having to type the same things over and over. For some reason, this site crashes my browser on my phone a lot when I have to open the thread to see when it was first posted. Then it won't load until I clear the cache and turn off my email sync. I can work around a few problems, but put them all together and ....... ohm, ohm, ohm, ....... just a good thing I don't have high blood pressure :)
February 23, 2014 at 2:38PM     
Fred S
Quinoa & whole White wheat hot cereal with malted barley, peaches, and cream :D
February 23, 2014 at 2:42PM     
bubbasgma
Sounds like things look different when you use an app? And with a healthy diet like yours, high blood pressure would seem unlikely!
February 23, 2014 at 2:46PM   
Tile for shower in master bathroom, pre Reno Delma,,"!,
My wife and designer want to do a large tile with marble...
Houzzers help!
I've got to finalize my backsplash today. What do you...
Need help for home exterior...please!
My husband and I have bought a fixer up. We love the...
What Plant To Put In A Terracotta Pot?
I have a small terracotta pot (as per photo) and I...
Playroom paint
We are turning a media room into a kid playroom. I...