Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6746302

Curtain help!

User
10 years ago
Hi,

I'm looking for some curtain suggestions. I love my new couches! They have definitely warmed up the room, but now I think we need new curtains. I do plan on painting the walls a warmer tan color. I'm thinking that the curtains should be white. Suggestions?

Comments (40)

• lindazski
    10 years ago
    Adding an area rug would help soften the room. Then you can select a fabric that picks up the colors from, rug,sofa and chair. A medium to large print, single panels, lined will pull it together.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I completely agree that a rug would be great,but unfortunately my dogs are not the best trained :)
  • lindazski
    10 years ago
    That shouldn't stop you, look at indoor/outdoor rugs that are washable.
  • standinginline
    10 years ago
    I think these IKEA curtains could work for your window... use these solid curtains on the outside: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50230188/ and these patterned curtains on the inside (right next to) the curtains above: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90232345/
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm at a loss for curtain suggestions though.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So match the tan chair?
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I like your couches. You need drapery with a pattern of some kind and it would be great to change out the brown pillows on the sofas to a pattern as well. You don't want everything to be a solid color.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Stacy! I love the couches too. My husband still needs some convincing! Do you have any curtain suggestions you could send me? I went all over today and couldn't find anything!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Here are some simple patterns. You could really use a pop of color...no more gray or brown.
  • lindazski
    10 years ago
    I agree with Stacey pattern and color;)
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Found these fabrics.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the navy blues that match the couch. Should I incorporate a white or a tan in the pattern?
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    More fabrics
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Even though i put the navy picture up I think you need something lighter that will pop in the room. No more dark colors because it's too heavy.
  • Brooke
    10 years ago
    I don't have a colour suggestion but when you put up new curtains hang them as high as you can and wide. It will make your room seem taller and your windows larger. It also won't block as much of the window when they're open.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm a big fan of bright white and the trim is all bright white. Does that work?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Here are some curtains

Finishing Touches · More Info
  • PRO
    Gailani Designs Inc.
    10 years ago
    I think the rug is a good idea. Love the trellis pattern that Stacey suggested in lighter background like tan and the pattern in dark blue, then have some patterned pillows with pop up colors. I agree to stay away from IKEA, they will bring the quality of your furniture down. Love your couches and chair, and painting the walls in a deeper tan color will add warmth to the room. Good luck, you have a good start.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 years ago
    I agree , your curtains should be patterns ones.
  • Julia Pederson
    10 years ago
    I agree with Brooke's idea to raise the curtain rod to elongate the windows, it makes a huge difference! I would also extend the rods 1+ feet on both sides. Additionally, I would recommend moving the couch, two end tables with the great lamps on them, and the coffee table such that the entire set centers in front of your beautiful windows.

In terms of colors and fabric for curtains, I would emphasize a "breezy" feel. Maybe translucent white curtains with a grey or creme tone? You could pick up the lighter color tones with 1 or two pillows and/or throws.

Your wood floors are beautiful, no need for a rug in my opinion. For the right wall adjacent to the window, you could put up 2 identical frames of family photos to personalize the space?

Just a few thoughts, good luck!!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How do you like these curtains?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have tried a few different ones. I like these the best but I don't think they are working. The couches are a royal or navy blue. The walls are going to be a warmer beige. However the shades are red. The kitchen is going to have a red accent wall so I'm thinking I need to pull that in as well. The couch is covered for the dogs in the picture - sorry!
  • Meghan
    10 years ago
    Where did you purchase your furniture? My husband and I are looking at a similar set.
  • toomanywhitewalls
    10 years ago
    Those curtains don't do anything for your space. Against your navy couch they look basic white in your first picture.

I think the curtains in your original picture looked better. If you want to keep the red theme going on here is an option.
    http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/sale/view-all/monte-carlo-grommet-top-curtain-panel/prod.jump?ppId=1b78503&catId=cat100260226&deptId=dept20022800026&pageSize=96&topDim=Color&topDimvalue=red&dimCombo=Color%7C&dimComboVal=red%7C¤tDim=Color¤tDimVal=red&colorizedImg=DP0214201419475938C.tif&urlState=/window/shop-/curtains-drapes/red/_/N-1noxaaZ135/cat.jump

I think the navy couches are really dark though and you need something to lighten the room up. i would also recommend some different colored throw pillows for some extra pop.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Megan, we got it from Bernie and Phyls.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Toomany! I was thinking the same thing but I think I just wanted to make them work :)
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Here are some examples that will go well with your tan wall colour, the last being the thai silk and most pricey. Nice sofas deserve nice curtains, don't you think?
    Sahara Rod Pocket 108-inch Curtain Panel · More Info

Copenhagen Natural Jacquard Curtain · More Info

Set of 2 Sofia Grommet Curtain Panel - Taupe · More Info

Toulon Sea Blue Silk Curtain · More Info
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    I know you didn't ask for cushion suggestions but when you change out your existing curtains you will need some pillows to pull together the colour palette. Food for thought:
    Safari Tan and Dark Slate Blue 18 x 18 Pillow · More Info

Homeware Aegean Accent Pillows - Set of 2 Multicolor - HWP011-18-122AEG · More Info

20" Square Sheepskin Pillow, Taupe · More Info

AIN'T THAT A STITCH! · More Info
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How does everyone think these work to pull in the red from the kitchen?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Could I go with a lighter shade of blue than the couches like these?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I like the second one and for the ceiling if you must have or like the ceiling fan
    AXO Light | Enigma Ceiling Fan · More Info
  • PRO
    Gailani Designs Inc.
    10 years ago
    The lighter blue is OK, if you do use lighter blue then try to repeate it, like throw pillows and accessories. I think the deeper blue will look better.
  • PRO
    Spaces To Oasis by Design
    10 years ago
    Here's an idea
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bad picture but here are the new curtains.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Better picture
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would add some white sheersfor the center
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You could also accessorize with some pillows similar color/ patern or contrast w reds
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Oh, this pic is so nice! Curtians look great with the sofa! Definitely get another set to make them more full. :)
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH