Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolel

Master Bedroom mismatched nightstands, artwork issues, flooring?

karolel
10 years ago
Master Bedroom 23x13 Bay Window 8x3
Problem: Long Narrow room difficult to decorate walls and fill w/furniture.
1) I love my mirrored nightstand but don't care for matchy/matchy and it's too expensive for another for husband, although we would if decided thats our best option. The one I am trying here I think is competing with mine instead of blending. Thought maybe the black framed mirrors over bed might tie it all together but seems harsh to me.
Maybe just a plain espresso stained nightstand (plan on getting other furniture in that stain), with no mirrors? Don't want to overdo the mirror thing. Also any suggestions on lamps?
2) What to do with the TV wall that's across from bed and 13 ft long…large pictures, a grouping surrounding TV, bookcases on either side of long dresser (would they need to match new dresser?), benches on either side of dresser? Built-in's are out of the question but would love.
3) Considering new laminate wood flooring. Reddish/brown color or very light birch type all that Costco offers. (Not staying in house long enough to go all-out and wood seems most popular for resale) Or carpet?

Comments (10)

• grasshopperhome
    10 years ago
    I think the mirrors over the bed are too many mirrors. but actually like your two night stands. Could you meld them with matching lamps or more similar art over each? I think the piece under your tv is the only one that doesn't match. I think changing the hardware would make it more modern to go with the rest of the look you have going.
  • karolel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, we have thought of changing hardware and that would be cost effective! Still need to fill in on either side of dresser and on those walls, ugh.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like your mismatched nightstands. They complement each other and are quite charming. In fact, I like your whole wall with the bed and side chairs on it. It's the wall the bed faces, with the dresser and TV, that is looking drab and out of place compared to your lively bedside arrangements. I'd like to see more artwork, a better way of hiding the ugly stray cords, and in general an atmosphere and arrangement that looks more like the rest of the room. The clothes horse (or whatever that contraption is called) is not helping either.
  • grasshopperhome
    10 years ago
    what about moving the chairs from the sides of your bed to the sides of the dresser? I don't think you necessarily need them where they are?
  • grasshopperhome
    10 years ago
    I would also move the Calaforni picture over to the wall by the dresser. I don't think you need it with the bed
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love your upholstered headboard and nightstands. I don't mind that they don't match. I don't think the large framed poster works in the room at all. You have soft colors going on. I agree that the dresser is the only piece that isn't working perfectly. I'm not sure if you would be willing to have it painted and change hardware on it. Annie Sloan makes a chalk paint-easy to use. I think a french linen color would be beautiful. If not, simply changing the hardware would help. Also, agree you should try to group the 2 chairs to make an area that is more conversational. I also think you don't need anything above the bed, but the mirrors would be very pretty over the dresser. Maybe you should consider new bedding for that beautiful upholstered bed! A duvet with white or ivory and light blues could be very pretty. Pottery Barn has some pretty bedding in the soft colors you have in your room. Love where you are heading. Good luck!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Some pictures that my or may not help.
  • User
    9 years ago
    One more picture
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    We can tell you're enjoying playing with the bed wall, but are bored and uninspired with the other one. Your elegant headboard is crying to be relieved of the sporty plaid spread. Find a narrow vertical space where you can stack the three mirrors. Your colonial style dresser is the odd man out here. Agree it needs to be refinished, minimized or removed. Keep it soft and elegant, which will require removal of the colorful poster.