Help update 1990s oak cabinets in a kitchen w/ dark quartz counters
ohehmeyer
We close on this house March 7. Please, how can we update this kitchen? Even though the house was built in 2002, they still used the ugly 1990s honey oak cabinets -- and there are over 50 cabinet doors here! The countertop is a modern Silestone (quartz) and we will keep it of course. The wall has a very light colored wallpaper. In the scenario where the tile stays we were thinking of painting the upper cabinets white and the lower ones a cool color (blue, green), adding modern pulls, and removing the wallpaper and painting a cool color. In the scenario where we pull the tile and run modern dark hardwood into the kitchen from the living, we would just paint all the cabinets white. Keep the tile on junk it? Lay new tile or extend the hardwood? And the backsplash? Can it stay?
Patricia Kent
I like the tile backsplash. How about painting the lower cabs gray. You can put glass in several of the upper cabs and perhaps a beefier crown on top. Hardware will add interest
0 Likes   Thanked by ohehmeyer    February 23, 2014 at 8:19PM
Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
Keep the backsplash for now. That is something that is fairly easy to change down the road without inconveniencing you too much. Replace the tile floor with the matching hardwood. Definitely hardware on the cabinets and then paint or refinish them. I would do all of the wall and base cabinets one color, and then you could put a different color on the island. If the budget allows, update the appliances, but that is something else that could be done later. Good luck with the closing and move!
0 Likes   Thanked by ohehmeyer    February 23, 2014 at 8:23PM
Kip Winters
I like the idea of adding glass to some of the cabinets. some new hardware would also improve the look.
1 Like   February 23, 2014 at 8:23PM
melhill08
We are building a house and used oak throughout. I wanted to avoid the 90's oak so I stained it dark. I used a dark walnut and Spanish oak mix from sherwin William's.
1 Like   Thanked by ohehmeyer    February 23, 2014 at 8:26PM
melhill08
Here is a view of the kitchen. Please ignore all the dust! Going dark on the cabinets and floors would help bring out the countertops.
1 Like   Thanked by ohehmeyer    February 23, 2014 at 8:29PM
ohehmeyer
Thanks for the idea about the glass in the uppers. There are so many cabinets -- a couple with glass would add some visual interest and break it up a bit. There is no undercabinet lighting and we will add that for sure, too. Thanks Julie, I think we'll keep the backsplash -- it is a one day job and can be done later if we don't like it. The budget allows for whatever is needed (within reason and keeping with the neighborhood). Fridge is immediate replacement and all others will be replaced as they break. All appliances are white right now. Glad to hear some support for painting the island a unique color.
2 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 8:34PM
ohehmeyer
We had thought about staining the cabinets instead of painting but eliminated that option because we thought the darker stain (you can't stain cabinets lighter I think) would not go well with the dark gray quartz. But we could be wrong of course! Could stain to match hardwood if we went that route. . .
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 8:40PM
vjs12
You can stain the cabinets lighter if you sand them down to their natural wood color. I prefer to do that or stain them darker rather than painting them. You have a nice space to work with.
0 Likes   Thanked by ohehmeyer    April 15, 2014 at 12:53PM
Eastvold Furniture
Would a more modern look pique your interest?
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 2:38PM
600threadcount
Keep cabinet doors natural oak. May have to sand off any ugly finish (can't tell from pic) and apply poly to bring out wood beauty. Paint cabinets black. Add hardware e.g. oil rubbed bronze. New floor appliances and light fixtures.
0 Likes   Thanked by ohehmeyer    June 6, 2014 at 6:31PM
ohehmeyer
I owe to all of you to show the final result. Here is our lived-in, final kitchen. No new fridge yet, but we will het there.
4 Likes   June 6, 2014 at 8:17PM
ohehmeyer
Specs: 280 square feet of 12 by 24 porcelain, rectified tile laid with 1/8 inch grout, FIVE coats of paint to cover grain on cabinets, brushed nickel pulls, brushed nickel pendant lights, frosted white under cabinet LED lighting, six LED recessed lighting, conversion of cabinet to six lite glass front, crown molding, sky blue paint on walls, paint of center island, and of course a huge demo that including floors, ceiling, and lighting. Price was is in neighborhood of $10,000 maybe, but I didn't really add it up.
1 Like   June 6, 2014 at 8:24PM
ohehmeyer
Daytime view with mother and child.
6 Likes   June 6, 2014 at 8:25PM
vjs12
It looks very nice!
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 7:50PM
Help! Want to paint to update dark stained 70s oak cabinets!
I need help selecting a paint color for cabinets and...
Update honey oak 1990s house
My folks are moving into a early 1990s house. It is...
Sage Island w/ qt sawn dark oak cabinets in balance of the kitchen
What color should we paint the walls. Its a new home...
Can I paint oak kitchen cabinet a dark brown, not just w/ stain.
Can I paint my oak kitchen cabinets with a dark brown...
I would like very much to remodel and update our 1990's kitchen
We have owned the house for 1 year now and still are...
Help needed with kitchen design...please!
We need some help figuring out what to do with the...
Front Door Color - HELP???
No clue what color to paint the front door (which cannot...
Living room with corner fireplace and tv.
Long living room and dinning room
Help needed to rev up the room
I posted earlier, but here are more pics to give a...