POLL:How would you liven up your bedroom?

Houzz PollsFebruary 25, 2014
What changes would you make to your bedroom to give it an extra kick?

Vote for your choice below! To win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment telling us what you love most about your bedroom (photos welcomed too) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 3/5/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.
Hang a chair from the ceiling
Layer bed with mixed/matched bedding
Painted barn door
Hang special art pieces
Use antique door as headboard
Use wallpaper as headboard
Paint walls bright color and stencil designs
Other - Tell us below!
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
hang a chair from the ceiling? that's a new one.
10 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:43AM
edithsmom
I voted for art...we presently have an ocean scene oil painting found in a thrift store. Not bad, just not large enough or in great condition (frame or painting). I would splurge on a gorgeous beach/ocean scene.
4 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 1:42PM
lauren11
I installed several inexpensive Ikea mirrors and now my bedroom doubles as a dance and yoga studio.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 2:33PM
fauxshorty
painted a shadow stripe to liven up the walls without changing it to much.
9 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 5:16PM
grobby
My choice would be beautiful art work. Was out shopping today and saw some beautiful pieces and wanted so badly to bring one home, but used restraint. Not quite the style I needed.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 7:03PM
Design Elements
You can never go wrong with a barn door, especially a painted one!
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 7:13PM
southsound
I just cannot understand the whole interior barn door trend...assume it is a trend? I grew up in a farming community so I "get" barn doors, just do not understand them in an interior application? If someone could enlighten me, would really appreciate it. ;-)
6 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 7:17PM
palisadefran
Although I voted for the vintage door headboard (because I'm kind of quirky and love unique objects) I also am a huge fan of displaying the meaningful artwork. Every time my husband and I travel, I purchase something to hang on the walls, be it a poster, painting, postcards, maps or sometimes I frame shopping bags from the one-of-a-kind boutiques I shopped in. By surrounding yourself with these memories you will find solace in your bedroom.
8 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:14PM
dre25
sound proofing
9 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:37PM
Sigrid
I have an arched niche that the head of my bed is centered in. I'm planning to get a handcrafted bed with a nice headboard, but I'm thinking about wallpapering the niche.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 9:54PM
krissyser
Would love a barn door. My favorite part if my room is my handmade quilt from a family member.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:04PM
judithahall
To be very honest, I thought all of the bedroom makeovers were pretty awful, I almost can't believe those are the choices. I chose the room with the mixed and matched bedding largely because that what I like to do in a room. I've never been a fan of bedroom suites or everything being matchy-matchy. I like the look of layered bedding and I think the bed can definitely serve as the main "art" piece in a room if the bed is done well. Just tonight I was showing my husband a picture of a quilt online and asked him if he liked it for our room. He asked me what color the walls were going to be painted. I told him the bed was the biggest space in the room and we should choose the quilt first, then build the rest of the room around it.
7 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 11:26PM
Susan Chiddenton
I love mixing and matching renewed "thrift" finds. 2 different night tables and lamps, plus minimal clutter makes a very relaxing space.
6 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 12:49AM
lucidos
I just want a deck outside my bedroom. Right now I have french doors leading to the roof of my 3 season porch. I want to sit out there on a comfy chaise, with my laptop, with a drink, with an umbrella in it and listen to old torchy jazz music. Currently there is 4 feet of snow out there so it's not even a remote option. Did I mention that it's -40 too.
12 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 1:02AM
windingcreek_creations
I have various art pieces, lamp shades, and bedding that I switch out with my mood and the season. Red lamp shades give such a cozy glow in the winter, and the moody, french landscape hanging over the bed will go into storage in favor of an antique rose oil painting come spring. Both art pieces were found at second hand stores for under 50 dollars.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:02AM
shotgungoldsmith
I love love love how comfy our (my) bed is! I love all our sheets, blankets, pillows, the room temperature that keeps it on the very cold side even in winter. I have also given all four of our children comfortable beds & bedding but they all still want to pile in our cozy comfy bed
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:10AM
kimvg123
We have two hanging chairs on our covered porch that are so comfy and fun to sit in - I'm a huge fan. Would love one of the hanging sphere chairs in my bedroom.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:46AM
indianpatti
Hmm, Liven things up in the bedroom ... you have to go with that chair! LOL
7 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:53AM
saratogaswizzlestick
I am surprised no mention was made of a pole.
10 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 4:01AM
Erin Neale
I've always wanted to do an antique door for a headboard!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 4:34AM
alessiann
I would love to have a small deck off our second floor master bedroom for morning coffee with my husband. We live in a rural Pennsylvania Amish area and have lovely sunrises overlooking farmland and natural woods to view. It would also be a great place to read.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 5:08AM
bowlforever13
I LOVE THE IDEA OF A ANTIQUE DOOR AS A HEADBOARD AND THE IDEA OF A BARN DOOR IN THE BEDROOM. WE ARE CURRENTLY REMODELING OUR MASTER BEDROOM AND BATH AS WE SPEAK, I PURCHASED A ANTIQUE DOOR LAST SUMMER TO USE AS A HEADBOARD FOR OUR KING SIZE BEAD. I AM EXCITED TO SEE HOW IT ALL COMES OUT. WHAT I LOVE ABOUT OUR ROOM IS ITS OUR GETAWAY FROM EVERYTHING, OUR SANCTUARY, A PLACE TO RELAX, AND DREAM THE NIGHT AWAY
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 5:09AM
53711
We have a child's antique chair hanging in our living room with a plant on it- it's an heirloom conversation piece!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 5:10AM
renogirl735
Love the subtle look of small print wallpaper behind the bed and this would really work in my bdrm! Might extend mine a bit with a panel surround.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:15AM
Mike Butcher
we are looking at several sliding door designs for our bedroom, a painted barn door would be perfect!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:30AM
Studio M Interior Design
Absolutely going with the hanging chair. Love the one from Serena & Lilly!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:32AM
janbintn
I need to replace my traditional window drapes with something lighter, more happy!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:36AM
Monica P
I'm adding a coffered ceiling and small chandelier over the bed.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:36AM
noahmd
My bed
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:44AM
woolywilly
We are putting in a barn door in our bedroom Reno, just bought the hardware! The house had a regular door before which the previous owner took out, probably because it ate too much space when open. The ensuite was bared to all. No room for a pocket door but there is wall space for a barn door, so barn door for space, privacy and it will be a useable work of art once my husband finishes making it.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:01AM
aztec35
I don't like any of the ideas!
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:08AM
soto01
Make a very tall dramatic headboard (upholstered for comfort). Maybe use nailheads to make a classic design on it or put our initials on it (like you would see on a nice monogramed sweater -- only much larger) with nailheads......very personal and very dramatic!
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:09AM
happyasaclam
We are looking for art that we both can agree on!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:10AM
tkejbou
The use of wallpaper as a head board is very creative. I will investigate to see if it's a good idea for my room
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:22AM
Adele Prince
I would cut out a one and a half foot gap from the top of my ceiling down the full length of my wall that faces my second floor landing. Doing this wood allow for fresh natural like to come threw into the bedroom from the landing window . I would also remove the ensuite bathroom as I find them to be the opposite of convenient , the ensuite when used in the middle of the night by my husband just walks me up and or can be nasty to the nose if you know what I mean. Silly place for a bathroom if you ask me. Those are major changes I would make to my small master bedroom.
4 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:29AM
Ann Schade
I have surrounded myself with items I love in my bedroom including antique plates that I inherited from my mother. Shaker style furniture with an odd Queen Anne thrown in for interest. I end up with a nice mix of masculine and feminine features.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:32AM
shortomeh
I love art all around my bedroom wall to keep it interesting
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:44AM
ssgtkitty
If you can't change your bedroom-mate, LOL, hang great art from your travels. Your room is private, so hang what you love and want to remember, & forget the interior designer "must haves", she/he does not live there!!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:54AM
Parlor Arts/ NYC Wall Finishes
As an artist I may be biased, but I think artwork can have the biggest impact on a space.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:03AM
joey_o
We are installing a set of vintage leaded glass doors between our master bedroom and bathroom. (Craigslist score--$100!) Previously there was just a big opening between the rooms, no doors, like a hotel room--very 80's. We sanded most of the paint off and will leave them unfinished for a warm element.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:16AM
The extra kick I am wanting is to put ceiling planks up;)
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:20AM
modpodge
I love my tufted headboard (under $200!) took my sister and I a few days and a few mistakes to do it but it was sooo worth it! It totally completes my bedroom.
5 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:37AM
okdokegal
Liven up bedroom... hm.
Wash all the blankets, change the sheets; make up the bed, shower and floss teeth, get him to go shower, and turn off the lights.

You did say How Would (I) Liven Up The Bedroom...heheheh
8 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:04AM
anne dee
A chinese lacquer folding screen works wonders as a focal point in the bedroom giving it a deluxe feel
Ashbury Heights Residence 2 · More Info
14 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:09AM
oliviacw
Our master bath is small (1970's ranch) and the door opens awkwardly into it. I've been toying with the idea of removing that door and replacing it with a barn door. A pocket door wouldn't work because of wiring in the wall already.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:25AM
Kayla Kaliszuk Interiors
The rustic bench at the end of my bed.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:36AM
etet
I keep a Christmas tree in the bedroom year around. Change bed coverings when I seem to get bored with the look. Just love whimsey!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:45AM
ljcausey
I need major artwork on my bare walls. The stencil idea could be of interest to connect the pieces so that it doesn't appear to have too much of a gap. I think I have 15+ feet of bare wall!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 10:06AM
lovestory54
I love the play of light, and the soft colours used as accent...and my botanical frames too!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 11:34AM
black_raven
I'm planning on painting the bedroom and ensuite - sure to give the room a lift! I routinely change out the artwork - we have lots of it already that we can't put them all up. Also getting a new ceiling fan and airy curtains. I have lots of bedding with different looks - love bedding! About the hanging chair, nice idea but I think I would tire of that so not worth my effort to put up. Also, I would like to instal a new door for the walk-in closet...leaded glass would be a dream.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 11:43AM
anne dee
So Margo, that extra kick you'll get will be on the "velvet swing" you attach to the ceiling
planks?!!!!! ;-)
mmmmmm
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 11:47AM
ozwalla1
I love the chair hanging idea....it doesn't take up floor space yet adds a nice element of a space to relax, read a book or watch the birds out the french doors.
Love this one from Anthropologie @ http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?navAction=jump&id=960073&color=015&cm_mmc=Google-_-PLA-_-Brand-Anthropologie-_-Label&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CMy236rN6rwCFQmIfgodu64A_w
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 12:14PM
Lizyliz
Hanging chair, never thought of that but then that's why I read Houzz! I do give credit to the teenager who put the wallpaper up behind the bed. Like the rolling rail use for the door - did give me food for thought.

@ saratogaswizzlestick - Wish you would have attached pictures! ;-)
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 12:35PM
maxsal
I agree with those who are just not thrilled with any of the pix. I must begin with repainting the bedroom into an old house (new to us). The room is 12x10 and has a bay window. I need help for a wall/ceiling color. The flooring is medium brown wood. I am tired of searching the internet.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 1:58PM
abraho
We have a small window; I'd love to increase its size and create a window seat/reading nook.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 1:59PM
mrscrouse
I usually like the mismatched bedding and the door headboard, and the painted and stenciled walls--but your examples were so gaudy that I didn't care for any of them. I love the solid wood bedroom suite with flower carvings in each piece that we purchased second hand in our master bedroom. It really fits both my husband and I. In our guest room I have a wrought iron bed that I found at an antique shop--and on it is a old fashioned hunter, mauve, crème and tan spread, a crocheted skirt and crocheted window valance to match. I have antique furniture in that room. I love the feel. It's like walking back in time. So homey. In my sewing room I have a trundle bed that I have a handmade quilt on with coordinating pillows across the wall to make it look like a day bed. It's the perfect place for the grandchildren to curl up on and take a nap. In the corner of that room I keep the grandchildren toys and a book shelf with all of the children's books and some child size chairs so they can sit and read while I sew. Good lighting is also very important. In our master bedroom I have a favorite hand painted lamp that sits by the mirror of the dresser. If my husband goes to bed before me, he turns on that light so i'm not fumbling around in the dark.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 2:03PM
Kim Westwood
still trying to get rid of purple walls to white. As much as I love purple just over it in the bedroom. White will brighten everything up and help keep the room cool. Our bedroom is like a huge attic room with a dormer window the spare room is the same and we painted it Dulux Antique white USA & it looks fantastic its my Paris room with wrought iron bedhead and bakers rack. My own design Paris patchwork quilt, cushions galore and pictures of Paris everywhere, plenty of wall space.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 2:21PM
Zoe @ Wells HF
I would love a new coat of paint! My room is sparce with an east facing window on the 2nd floor (no neighbors) that allows the sun to gently wake me up in the morning. I have some art by our little boy on the walls, no headboard, and two of my sewing machines with a desk. Simple, relaxing. But some new warmer white paint would be great!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 2:29PM
car60girl
I would prefer artwork to enhance my bedroom. I also like nice quality drapes.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 2:40PM
dreambearerr
The thing I love most about decorating my bedroom is using mixed/matched bedding on the bed. Changing out just that one thing can really change the appearance of the whole room - especially if you pick a color from the bedding and add little accents like candle holders, artworks or picture frames to coordinate. So of course that's why I chose that option!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:08PM
maxsal
These are to "far out" for my simple needs and tastes. I can't change things periodically, and I also use my bedroom as a study. I have an oak desk and swivel office chair. That is all the furnishing at present. I would think about painting an interesting headboard
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:42PM
susanmitch
The antique door makes a unique and beautiful headboard. Love it.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 4:27PM
Cheryl Ann Sibilia Designs
my favorite vacation place is St. Marten, so when i planned my new bedroom scheme i did it around the colors of an abalone and mother of pearl shell, soft Blues, beiges. I have a great upholsered head and footboard by Liz Claiborne HOme, and bed bench upholstered in a Robert Allen fabric at the foot. A mirrored vanity and handpainted and mirrored slipper chair, gorgeous lighting, and custom bedding. And over my fireplace is a painting i found that looks like a spot i know well in St. Marten. With the watercolor paintings i got from a local artist from the island, they hang over the headboard and it all comes together with accents of seashell and mirror. :But what would really give my bedroom some zip would be the application of this abalone seashell tile i found on line,i would like to put on the inset panels of the fireplace surround. And then it would be complete!! if i knew how to post a pic of all this i would, lol, I love my bedroom
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 5:05PM
Amanda
My favorite thing about my bedroom is my chandelier.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 5:14PM
Darla Scheuerman
Our bedroom is fashioned around a room at the Sheraton in Key West. I had bedding ordered before I left the state. We love getting in to our bed, it's luxury every night. Bedding is the #1 consideration. LOVE your bed.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 5:22PM
misseek
I love the blending of five different patterns in the shades of gold and brown that highlight the brown and gold tiger print the chairs and bench are covered in
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 5:46PM
dreacorator
Mixed bedding. Before I was even a teenager, I loathed bed-in-a-bag. It's like the garanimals of decor ...
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:17PM
idon1191
I voted for bright color paint just because my bedroom is boring white!
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:33PM
Quesnel Decor Gallery
Mirroflex on the ceiling.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 6:39PM
Pam
Love the wallpaper headboard. Endless possibilities.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:21PM
Sara Parker
French doors opening to a balcony with a great view, by night or by day.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:37PM
Kaitlin
We painted the wall behind our bed red and I made a black faux leather tuffed headboard. Since the red wall is behind us, we can still relax when it's time to sleep.
    Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:42PM
polonyidesign
I would add built-ins on either side and above (surrounding) my bed, so as to provide bookcases, extra storage, and avoid the need for end tables. It would of course have lighting so that I can read in bed!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 8:58AM
eightpondfarm
anyone WANT a barn door? we have several!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:19AM
eightpondfarm
i'll take some photos today if anyone is interested in real/authentic actual barn doors. weather worn grayed-out wood, rusted iron hinges and such……..
1 Like    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:24AM
1030meg
I liked the brightly painted and stenciled bedroom best because it was so bold yet still cozy and sweet. Color is easy to change if you get tired of the way a room looks.
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:27AM
bbarick
We are in process of renovating the master bedroom using this Houzz photo for inspiration
Northern California Home · More Info
I purchased a similar rug and bedding, similar chair but in caramel leather is on order, no luck finding similar stools like those at end of bed..nothing even close but still looking. Will paint the walls myself tomorrow, carpet to be installed in a few weeks when everything else is in place. Looks great so far!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:33AM
karmacdonald
The sliding barn door is great for eliminating that swinging door that takes up space. It is so rustic and cozy. It certainly adds character to any space. I designed a home where I put one in the front foyer which closed off the mudroom. It was like a hidden nook. Another place I put one was in the ensuite washroom on the bedroom wall. Who wants a door swinging in or out of their ensuite taking up space? It adds to the masterbedroom. Gorgeous!!
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 11:20AM
kippert0613
I would add accent lighting and a gas fireplace to make for a cozy retreat.
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 4:15PM
jcr10
Love all of the ideas!
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 5:19PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
This is another question where I wasn't sure if it was related to interior design. Be careful how these are worded.
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 6:36PM
eviesue
I voted for special art pieces, but it would be my grandchildren's art work. What better way to enjoy their budding artist work. Can change it often as they grow older, then keep it and show it to them as they get older for them to then hang it in their own home if they so desire to do so.
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 6:44PM
lucidos
Oh Mark....it's not Friday yet.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 6:49PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
It is somewhere.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 7:00PM
marthaciv
I voted for 'Other' because I would like an area rug to make the bedroom cozy
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 7:03PM
hemant padhiar
To get good dreams, paint the wall with bright colors and it will elevate your mood also!
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 9:39PM
pk3824
I voted for the barn door because I like the unexpected. (and reusing a great piece is always a good choice.)
    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 5:13AM
Cope Closet Concepts
A bedroom is a sanctuary so it should be filled with comfortable, personal things.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 7:15AM
toriella24
I love the openness and organization of my room.
    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 7:51AM
Diane Kremer, ASID CID
Barn door eliminates the swing into a space, avoids the problems of a pocket door, adds interest and privacy. Unsure on sound however. Not for everyone.
    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 7:59AM
Mark Bischak, Architect
In most situations, not all, swinging doors swing into space that is clear space for circulation. Barn doors take up wall space.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 8:22AM
lilredwagon80
Lighting. Ceiling fan and bedside lighting.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 8:48AM
pattigut
I love my bedroom color scheme: I chose off white carpet and walls, while my bedding and accents are a pale, dusty aqua. It's clean and calming....hmmm....like a white sandy beach with clear aqua water..no wonder I love it!
    Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 3:35AM
blrussell
Have always like to swing and a hanging chair would be the perfect spot to escape/read.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 4:46AM
duffy2009
I'd like a comfortable, slipcovered chair, pretty bedside lamps, & a couple of brightly colored side tables. I already have decent art which would have been my first choice. Oh & a good mattress & new curtains which are easy to open & shut. I'm already getting tired of barn doors & I don't even have one. It's too bad when something becomes a cliche so quickly. I was entranced with them for a while but I'm quickly getting over them. I think that about covers it.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 1:48PM
toecheer
Definitely art that means something to you. I have blown up photos of my trip to Ireland and the UK that I'm planning to hang in my bedroom.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:53PM
sunnie2day
I'd have bespoke shelving and bridge units installed around the bed - with lighting and handy power points. Yeah, I know, feng shui says multi-purpose bedrooms do not rock. While I do pay attention to feng shui principals sometimes I go against and this is one time I have and will continue to do - my bedroom is a sanctuary that works far better if I multi-purpose it.

I'd also put in french doors leading to a small, very private outdoors space.
    Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 6:46AM
lisstrange
I vote for changing bedding because it's easy to change out if you feel like something new! Not as permanent as hanging a chair from the ceiling! What are we talking about here? Sex swing? Ok, Hugh Hefner!
    Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 8:49AM
P. L. Johnson Construction, Inc.
I would like to turn my bedroom into a walk-in closet and turn the deck outside of the French doors into a bedroom.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 9:32AM
sharphome22
I want to add a special art piece to my bedroom to give the room more flair.
    Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 3:39PM
Cope Closet Concepts
P.L. Johnson Construction -- if you need ideas on a walk-in closet, we would be happy to help you look at your options. We manufacture hardwood ventilated shelving that makes for beautiful handy closets. If you are interested in some samples, let me know. www.copeclosetconcepts.com
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 6:03AM
P. L. Johnson Construction, Inc.
Okay, thank you @ Cope Closet Concepts. I will keep your information.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 6:08AM
maggie5713
I'd add some soft netting hanging in the corner with white lights inside
    Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 6:45PM
marjie1059
eightpondfarm: If you get rid of your barn doors, how will you keep the animals in? :) It did make me wistful, however. The big ol' barn in Illinois with the big ol' house where I grew up was taken down a few years before the 1890 house...sad, although much of it was used to help restore a distant relative's barn about 20 miles south.
I voted "other", as I would like more/bigger windows. I have a west window and a north window, but for me, it's not enough light. More light, please! My 1895 two-story farmhouse features two windows in every room (except the bathrooms), but I always want more light. Speaking of light, I wish my closet light would work. Two sons have said they can't figure it out....and I don't use it enough to warrant hiring it done....yet. One of these days....
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 7:02PM
foreverfarm11
i have not one, but two porches that I can access from my 2nd floor master bedroom. One looks out over my property, horses etc and the other looks out into the woods. I love it!
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 5:32AM
hanna1984
Art - I have three, at least, pieces of art from new, emering artists and another print from an established artist calling my name!
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 5:37AM
124373
A hanging chair sounds kinda fun! Not sure if I would use it much though... I'd love some new art, a nature scene. Someday, I think I'd like to hang fairy lights in my room...
    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 3:05AM
silverscreenstar
Personally, I think putting art in the bedroom is a waste of good art. Who sees it? Art needs to be seen to be enjoyed. I don't spend many waking hours in my bedroom and wouldn't get to see or enjoy any of the art I own in that location.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 3:20AM
chookchook2
Costume wardrobe? Toy chest? Just guessing.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 3:41AM
ssgtkitty
Art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My bedroom art is of our personal, international travels, not many would enjoy it or even know what it was without explanation. Describing another culture, life style, art, & why we love the pieces so much would fall on deaf ears. We hung the art where we can see it, understand the scenes and just enjoy. ART is NEVER wasted in any room.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 6:42AM
hanna1984
Our bedroom is out sactuary from work and kids. I love soft colors, simple designs and peaceful scenes. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 7:06AM
eightpondfarm
ssgtkitty that's what we do too. nothing is MORE BORING than to go to someones home and have to endure long dialogues about their trip to ______. i also don't like to see wedding pics or baby pics or kid with trophy pictures in common spaces in a home. that's personal stuff and of little interest to anyone not in immediate family. if you're going to subject others to your personal photos at least give the viewer SOMEthing! the photo needs to be art in-and-of-itself. and in an exceptional frame. sorry….i got off on one of my pet peeves…. Personal photos, personal collectables… they need to be in bedrooms and more private areas of the home (hallways to bedrooms/sitting rooms etc)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 7:14AM
cabourne
relaxing space for 2 chairs
    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 12:15PM
ahunt00
Our bedroom is on the small side, so I love the tray ceiling that gives the impression of a little more space.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 12:36PM
peppyann
LOOKING FOR A NEW BEDROOM SET, OUR LAST AS WE ARE 64, WANT A HEADBOARD & FOOTBOARD….THAN A NEW COMFORTORS AND SEATING AREA AT END OF BED…
1 Like    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 8:21AM
moggie73
Well ... I would say this is one of the most 'eclectic' list of polling options I have ever seen!
(And yet, ceiling hung chairs seem to be more popular than "Other".)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 12:18PM
peppyann
unbelievable….guess noting for them to do !!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 8:47PM
lj1116
some one didn't get the point of a barn door here's what I think they are greT in a room that has a lot of doors like my sisters room there the room door open in to the room a few feet over is the closet door it to opens into the room so you start feeling like your room only has room for doors the abs out five feet from the closet door is the bathroom door that's 3 doors so t3 choices live with it or put in pocket doors but wer are two single girls living to get her so that means a contractor it takes a lot of work and costly other choice is a barn door for the closet now you bo longer have a door opening into the door to come into the room or the best choice is a pocket door and can be a DIY you need the rail kit that makes it work your door those pcs can be costly but if you have a level Drill and some common sence you can put it up yourself now you have a closet door that roll across the closet and not into room or colter so not only functional it is beautiful and works as a PC of art I think and I too grew up not on a farm but had horses and barn and Zi love them plus it just is a cool look get a new door or one made with old salvaged barn wood to add some warmth to the room
    Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 6:34AM
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to Kim Westwood on winning her pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, don't worry, you still have a chance in our Kitchen Cabinets poll! Get your comments in, now!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/878758/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--Favorite
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 2:06PM
Whooooo HOOOOOO Kim Westwood;))
1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 2:07PM
momvsboys
I have to say the antique door as a headboard...because i did it this winter :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 5:18PM
Amy Lou
I would love to add a hammock chair to my bedroom!
    Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 7:00PM
hasinajiwani
Set up a good sound systen in my tv armoire.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 2:45PM
Hawn Bedding Company
I have to say I can't live without our flatscreen mounted on the wall.
    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 1:44PM
1snowbird2
I utilize three-dimensional art, such as, nicely formed tree branches to project a more natural nest.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:58PM
nikkiseashores
with a hot guy
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 8:46AM
karlizim
We bought this large painting for over the bed:
    Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 4:41AM
bungalowmo
@nikkiseashores! Too funny....I'm with ya gal!

My bedroom is filled with an antique dresser & tables. Art deco lamp at my bedside & I just purchased this fan for the corner. Been searching & I have yet to see another like it.

My fan is my lullaby...puts me right to sleep!

For me, it's about unique, special pieces that speak to me....
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 1:25PM
momof5x
I have added our huge framed wedding picture at the corner of the large bedside table we have, it is near a corner so I draped the corner of side table in a red decorative cloth and added the frame on it leaning against the wall, it has protective velvet tabs on the back of it so it doesn't leave any marks on walls. Too heavy to hang and looks perfect where it is when anyone enters!
    Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 8:59AM
kathrynecheng
I voted for adding a fabulous piece of art. We are seeking such a piece right now, to finish our bedroom!
    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 7:33PM
1snowbird2
Please know that, this is a question i simply cannot pass by.
I have been a professional photographer for over 40 years - and You won't find a single photograph or painting anywhere in my home. Two-dimensional art bores me now.
A very long time ago, I graduated to 'Three-dimensional art'.
Three dimensional items can be enjoyed from almost any perspective -
where 2-D needs to be viewed, pretty much, head-on.
My favorites, which are always affordable, are 'tree branches'.
A branch, ( yes, from a tree ) brings the outdoors 'In'. It makes any room come alive.
If you hunt it down, with a woodsy adventure, then it may even have stories to tell.
The right shape and/or size is purely a judgment call, on your part.
There's one near my dressing table that I frequently hang rings and other such things on.
Nature will never give you the same branch twice - so Yours will truly be 'One of a Kind'.
After all, where would ancient oriental art be -without 'The Tree !'
Just above my bed is a Very large branch with a 'Dream Catcher' dangling within.
Better yet, Cut an alcove or put a small shelf, just above the bed, slightly off center
and try growing a Bonsai there.
Even as you are reclining for the evening - You will be able to enjoy it's charm.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2014 at 6:44PM
liven up the space - color, coffee table and rug - help
Struggling with table and rug. this room needs color...
skapelina
Looking for a rug to liven up my living room
I'm really struggling on this one! I'm looking for...
Elle Bee
POLL: What's your favorite color?
What's your favorite paint color in your home? Vote...
Houzz Polls
Help livening up my bedroom
Im renting for now , my bedroom is very narrow and...
MAlps
liven up my entryway
Any suggestions to make the entryway more inviting...
sweeps22
Tell us: What would you hide in your Secret Room?
More and more often, we see photos on Houzz of secret...
Moroccan Tile Backsplash Bad Spacing
I had a moroccan tile backsplash installed on Monday....
sapphireriver
HELP! I fell in love with granite I can't afford...
I had no idea as I went shopping for granite that no...
glovely
rental kitchen
college students renting! we are gonna be here for...
lb_erau
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
wickedwhite