Help needed to make living area
Charlotte
Hello everyone,

I am trying to make my studio apartment habitable and I need help! I am trying to arrange a living area but feel like something's missing and I'm not sure what it is.

I absolutely need more lighting (perhaps a cool pendant lamp) or something to bring a little more weight to the area. Any suggestions? I'm planning on painting the walls a warm white. Pictures attached of both the living area in progress and my nearby dining table.
studio10001
Can you post a photo from the kitchen of the other half of the room? Thanks.
February 26, 2014 at 8:26PM   
Charlotte
I haven't put up my wallhangings as I'm still deciding on where they're all going to go
February 26, 2014 at 8:34PM   
studio10001
I think you might trade in the floor lamp for wall sconces over the table, move the rug to the font of the sofa, add a grill, or fabric covered box to the front of the AC unit, add some fabric to the drapes and hang them higher, and spread the red from your woven piece ( what is that?) for wall art and an extra pillow for the bed. Do you have extra pieces that you are considering?
February 26, 2014 at 8:42PM   
Charlotte
What type of sconces are you thinking? I'm glad you're suggesting to move the rug, I was thinking that same thing. The red woven piece is a tapestry from Central America . No extra pieces I'm considering in terms of furniture; I'm pretty utilitarian by nature.
February 26, 2014 at 8:49PM   
Charlotte
In terms of decor I considered getting another rug, more lighting, and possibly a new coffee table if the trunk isn't working.
February 26, 2014 at 8:50PM   
studio10001
Also wondering if placing the bed in the left corner ( last photo) would work for a greater sense of separation? I think another table, next to your arm chair, would be a good thing, providing space for a table lamp, if you need one. If the standing lamp is needed, try it next to the sofa, on the kitchen end, and move the log table to the other side Another small table - or log - would give you enough table space for all guests.
February 26, 2014 at 8:54PM   
studio10001
Oh, I forgot the trunk - I like it,if you can move around it, I think the scale is good. Looking for sconces, now.
February 26, 2014 at 8:55PM   
Charlotte
So would I nix the trunk in that case and just have the log side table(s)? I would love to scoot the bed over more but the bathroom is directly to the left of the bed (about four feet away).
February 26, 2014 at 8:58PM   
Charlotte
Okay good I'm glad.
February 26, 2014 at 8:59PM     
Charlotte
There's no place to hardware the sconces so that could be a little difficult.

I agree about putting an extra pillow on the sofa. Maybe a kilim pilow or something big and fluffy?
February 26, 2014 at 9:02PM   
remike
The picture is the wrong shape for over the couch. A nice area rug to weight the room down would be great
February 26, 2014 at 9:04PM     
Tres McKinney Design
Place the rug in front of the sofa. Move the floor lamp to the right side of the sofa in the corner behind the wood stump table. Hang the framed art piece on the side wall to the side of the stump table. Look for a large horizontal mirror or art to hang over the sofa. A mirror would help expand the space. Select a long narrow coffee table to not impinge on traffic flow. Look for a tall folding screen that can hide the air conditioner and sit behind the dining table. It could be cane, wicker or Indonesian cut out so it does not obstruct the air flow. I would bring in some turquoise accents to pick up on the kitchen counter color. This could be a pair of pillows on the sofa with your white fur pillow or art in the room. Add another bedside table on the other side of the bed and one colorful rectangular decorative pillow on the bed.
February 26, 2014 at 9:13PM     
studio10001
If you do work at the table, a pair of reading lamps -something like this ( but less expensive) would give you a choice between a reading and dining light level
[houzz=Dainolite DLED410-W-OBB Wall Sconce With Gooseneck Led Reading Lamp Obb Finish]
If that isn't a consideration, I think something that has textural interest ( this picks up on the movement of your artwork), [houzz=Brandon 1-Light Nickel Plated Wall Sconce]
or that plays off the rustic/ raw elements could look well.[houzz=Flynn Sconce] There are lots of things that would look nice, though, and though I am doing a quick onsite search, You shouldn't have any trouble finding something you like locally.
You will want to find an option that is corded, if you are renting, but can enclose the cords, or show them off.
February 26, 2014 at 9:15PM   
studio10001
Kilim would be fine. :)
February 26, 2014 at 9:17PM     
Barbara Hullett
My ideas..... Move your bed to the other window. Then, if the sofa fits (width-wise). it could work as a "room divider" by moving it a few feet from the bed facing the kitchen. Then you could move the table and chairs closer to the kitchen. Which would make sense, as a dining space. That looks like a really cool wooden table next to one of the windows. That could be used as a sofa table set up right behind the sofa in its new place. Oh, and the rug should be in front of the sofa under the chest. Add some colorful pillows. some artwork on the walls, especially on either side of the far window. I'd love to see what you do with the room after all our ideas.
February 26, 2014 at 9:20PM   
Ditto Tres McKinney...When you move the rug in front of the sofa, a narrow bench could work as a coffee table.

February 26, 2014 at 10:12PM   
Charlotte
What do you all think of the photos below? I took the tapestry from the bed and put it on the trunk (the throw can also be put on the bed or trunk), put the rug in the living area, put a oval mirror over the bed and the modern art piece on the side wall. The lamp would be to the left side of the bed.

Barbara, my first instinct was to do the room exactly as you had described but unfortunately the sofa is too long.
February 27, 2014 at 7:16AM     
Warner Decor
How about more flowers in the vase? I think it might brighten the area up a bit!
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/white-velvet-plum-blossoms-set-2/
February 27, 2014 at 7:21AM     
Charlotte
Pictures below
February 27, 2014 at 7:32AM     
Tres McKinney Design
Much improved, but move the floor lamp to the opposite end of the sofa to brighten up that corner. You don't want to walk into a floor lamp or anything tall when coming into the room. I think you need a larger mirror or framed art over the sofa. The small ova mirror could go over your bedside table, hung vertically. The new location of the area rug really unifies the seating area now.
February 27, 2014 at 8:14AM     
Charlotte
Okay. Gotcha -- I do like the mirror over the bedside table. And where to put the big piece of modern art?

To add some girth to the bed I could get a huge pillow that would act as a headboard in dark gray?
February 27, 2014 at 8:26AM     
studio10001
I would tweak the rug assymetrically, though.
I am dissenting with the horizontal artwork over the sofa- with the lamp moved to the other side, I think a vertical piece can be balanced by it, and prefer to accentuate height in smaller spaces, generally - again, assymetrical placement may help.
I like the coverlet on the bed, as it spreads the textured bits around the space nicely.
I also strongly disagree about a long narrow bench in the middle of the walkway - the smaller items you are using are much more versatile, and less likely to attack shins. If you are considering an upgrade, a pair of small matched tables that can be moved as needed would give a more polished look.
February 27, 2014 at 8:35AM     
I would eliminate the coffee table and use the chest next to the bed instead. I would put the rug by the bed as well.

I'd use the large art over the sofa, balanced with two smaller pieces and the lamp.
February 27, 2014 at 10:30AM        Thanked by Charlotte
Charlotte
WOW. That looks really good. I do have one or two pieces that may do the trick -- when I get home I will post pictures of them. I know I have one, long, vertical frame with three photos in it that may work nicely.

So you think the coffee table causes too much clutter? I like the rug under the sofa but without a rug under the desk area, it looks a little plain.
February 27, 2014 at 10:37AM   
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
and move the rug to in front of the sofa with a few small tables on it.
February 27, 2014 at 10:40AM   
I would also consider putting some kind of divider--semi-transparent--between the living area and the bed.
February 27, 2014 at 10:52AM     
I think the rug makes the space look smaller. I would use it in the bedroom area so your tootsies can be comforted the minute they hit the floor in the morning.
February 27, 2014 at 10:54AM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Don't know if this will work.......try moving the bookcase to create a divider between the bedroom and the rest of the space. Turn it the other way so the side is on the wall between the window and the AC. Move the dining set to the wall in front of the couch. Move the accent chair (angled to the bookcase) and the floor lamp where the dining set is now. Having the chair next to the bookcase will create a reading nook. I don't think you need a coffee table. Try putting the trunk vertically between the couch and the wall and add a table lamp. Can you possibly use the kilim as a rug in the living room? You can put the cowhide rug in the reading nook as suggested. Does the tree stump table fit in the bathroom to put your towels (or other stuff) on? Another option, still keeping the reading nook: you could move the live edge console table on the wall in front of the couch to use as a dining table with some bar stools. Move the desk and one chair next to your bed. Hope all this makes sense!
February 27, 2014 at 11:36AM     
Is your little dining table taller than the sofa back? I'm thinking I'd hang the large painting on the narrow wall separating the kitchen and living areas. Turn the sofa to face the door with the right arm up against the wall. Then put the table and chairs on the backside of it near the kitchen. Angle the large wingback on the door/AC wall. Turn the bookcases perpendicular to the wall they're on so you make more of a room divider between living and sleeping areas.
February 27, 2014 at 11:49AM   
Charlotte
what do you guys think of this lamp for over the desk?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/180375906/vintage-globe-swag-lamp-mid-century-orb?ref=sr_gallery_18&ga_search_query=swag+lamp&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

I really wanted a Nelson lamp but they are a little too oversized to put over a small desk like mine. This lamp size seems better. What do you all think?
March 7, 2014 at 10:13AM   
The Nelson pendant is a classic because of the detail in the shade. I think this one looks like a bad 80s builder's fixture. You can do better, for sure. I am guessing you are looking for something 10-12" in diameter?
March 7, 2014 at 10:48AM   
Charlotte
Yes definitely. Nothing too big
March 7, 2014 at 11:01AM   
Actually, the Nelson saucer pendant comes in these sizes:
Small: H 7.5" Diameter 17.5" Cord L 72"
Medium: H 9.5" Diameter 25" Cord L 72"
Large: H 14" Diameter 36" Cord L 72" http://www.dwr.com/product/nelson-saucer-pendant-lamp-large.do?sortby=priceAscend
March 7, 2014 at 11:01AM      Thanked by Charlotte
Charlotte
Love the smallest one. The price tag stings but I'm sure the craftsmanship is worth it. I'm afraid the light may be a bit too diffused for over a desk area (where I'll be reading and working on occasion). Any thoughts?
March 9, 2014 at 8:23PM   
Amy Stokes
I think you need to do something in black and brass (gotta love the spray paint). Here is an idea that you can do with an ikea hack.
http://rosabeltrandesign.blogspot.com/2013/01/black-brass-diy-converted-pendant-light.html
March 9, 2014 at 8:40PM     
Amy Stokes
Here are a few more from ikea. The first two come in tons of colors or can be painted. One is artichoke inspired. The Stockholm would be awesome with the outer pieces and the drop piece spray painted brass. You'll need to spray the pieces before you assemble them. You could even spray the side facing the light brass and the piece facing out black. The best spray paint I've found is design master gold that I get at michaels.
March 9, 2014 at 8:45PM   
House design
Just bought a field (505m2 = 5443sf) with lot of nature...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Kitchen island addition dilemma
We're adding an island to our kitchen and we can't...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Need help with paint colors (the same thing..grays!)
I need help! I have been trying to find the perfect...