Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pwzeus

Need help with a surprise

Power Zeus
10 years ago
Hi all,

My wife has been suffering with health issues and i want to make our living area as pleasant as i can to help her with recovery. We have a small attached toilet area to our master bathroom. I want toake this area relaxing and zen like. I am not sure what kinds of elements to bring here, its ver boring blah right now. Please help.

Have a great weekend

Comments (30)

• indianpatti
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    How sweet of you .. this is a wonderful idea!

The 1st thing I noticed was that the towel bar should be replaced with some happy, colorful art. It is the first thing you see when you look into the water closet.

What color is your master bedroom?
    Power Zeus thanked indianpatti
  • notme11
    10 years ago
    What I noticed first is all of the items on the floor. I would remove the scale and basket from the floor as well as the toilet rug. Add shelves if you like behind the toilet for whatever is in the basket. Paint the walls a lighter color and add a large soothing picture. No towel bar is really needed since there is no sink nor tub.
    Power Zeus thanked notme11
  • Power Zeus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi all, thanks for the comments. Yes i will remove the bar, that is a great idea. I do need the rug though because floor gets very cold. My master bedroom wall color is light blue shade.
  • notme11
    10 years ago
    Understandable with the rug. How about a sage or pretty neutral off white rug instead to blend more with the floor.

You are a very sweet husband to think about this for her. Post pictures when you are done. We will all admire your handy work and think your wife is a lucky gal.
    Power Zeus thanked notme11
  • mlou72
    10 years ago
    How about a basket of spa pampering things (think bath and body works store)? Add a candle, fluffy towels and robe. Cozy slippers for that cold floor. I think a lighter paint color could do wonders too.
    Power Zeus thanked mlou72
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Power Zeus, what a great thing to do for your wife. I recommend bringing some colour into the room, soft and relaxing--perhaps greens. that can go with both your current colour scheme ad the adjacent master. Depending on the nature of the illness and skin sensitivities, I agree with others that introducing spa=like elements such as salves, oils, loofa and scented candles can make an ordinary bath into a relaxation space. If there is room, a small bamboo stool can hold a glass or mug and a book for lingering in the tub.

All the best for a smooth recovery!
  • toats
    10 years ago
    omg how sweet!!! I really, really hurt my foot last summer...it was awful and i could only hobble around on the side of the foot.....but MY dear husband continued to ask me to get him soda from the kitchen, bring him this or that.... and even wanted me to drive cause' he didn't feel like it!!!
  • Power Zeus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think painting the bathroom seems like a good idea, should I paint the both side walls or only the one you see when you walk in ? I still need to hit the stores to find spa/zen like elements. Any stores you would guys would recommend for things like this ?
  • christoper
    10 years ago
    Nice!
    some artwork with gardens...at least 16 x24 or larger
    hang 3" above towel bar.

PAINT:a very very light icy blue benjamin moore HC147 would be lovely..then white trim

WHITE RUGS 2 beautiful white soft almost shag rugs as large as you can fit.(white or white with very soft beige.

White candles are a must...try to purchase great quality ones made from soy (with soft natural scents) fat candles not the skinny ones
    BEAUTIFUL WHITE TOWELS
    PALE COLORED OR WHITE FAUX ORCHID

Most of these things can be found at HomeStore or Winners, Marshalls..i would go to homestore first.

also white basket for small items and maybe her favorite treat.
    extra toilet tissue in a white basket on top of the toilet tank.
    Best of luck

put the scales elswware, hide the toilet brush behind the toilet
    Power Zeus thanked christoper
  • christoper
    10 years ago
    paint colour benjamin moore hc147 (if you search above and put in hc147 you will see some photos...again good luck
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Power Zeus, you're a dear to do this! I don't think you need to paint, as I see your wall color comes from the tile around the sink. But since they're adjacent, and I have a hunch that you're a scuba diver like me (although I think those days may be over due to my own health issues), I'd bring some of the blue from your bedroom in there via art or photography that will speak to you both -- liked the idea of vacation photography, or just something that'll make you both smile.
  • Rachel Provencher
    10 years ago
    Just a quick thought. If you decide to replace your rug, please make sure it is rubber backed! You wouldn't want her to slip. What a wonderful husband you are ( I happen to have one too - lucky us!)
  • Elaine P
    10 years ago
    Get rid of that spiky reeds air freshener on the toilet tank, anything spiky is not relaxing besides some times if the container is knocked over can burn skin, especially dangerous for small children and pets
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    If she picked the wall colors to go with your tile, etc., I wouldn't paint. Instead, I would get the largest rubber backed white bathroom rugs the space would accommodate. Buy new white towels, hand towels, washcloths in the best quality and quantity you can afford. Roll some of the new hand towels and washcloths in a pretty small basket. When I was recovering, soft tactile things somehow made me feel better. (Wash and use a liquid fabric softener before using.) Maybe you could do a robe hook in there somewhere, with a new light fluffy white robe for her. A picture of something you both love, a pretty white orchid, and a hug. Done. (PS...you are a great husband, just like mine!) Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Dreacorator
    10 years ago
    Habidecor rugs at Bloomingdale are on my personal wishlist, and so comfortable
  • Power Zeus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lots of goid tips, thanks a lot. I will look into the walk color but not sure to go light or dark as our bathroom color is already light. On the other hand that area is small so dark color will be very dark. White towels r great idea.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    As a former patient of my husband....another thought. If she has to spend time in bed, a nice (lightweight) glass decanter filled with fresh water and a small drinking glass on the nightstand is great. No need to get up and hike for it.
  • Peggy Hardinge
    10 years ago
    Everyone has given you lots good ideas.

What bothers me though is the cold floor off the master. It may not be possible now but nothing speaks loving kindness to a woman more than being truly comfortable. My husband has this house a bone chilling 67 degrees in every room but where the gas fireplace is. Traipsing to the bathroom in my barefeet in the middle of the night is uncomfortable and annoying. I do not feel "cared for".

One day, speak to her in her "language of love" and have a floor heating mat installed then re-tile your floor.

Until then, the suggestions above will turn your bedroom area into a sanctuary. I like the Bath and Bodyworks plug-in scents that fill the area with fragrance 24/7. Vanilla is a good all around scent.

Lastly, good room darkening roller blinds can help her sleep when it is light out. If they can't be installed get a eye mask that will block out the light.

You are a good man! Blessings on you both.
  • Peggy Hardinge
    10 years ago
    How about bath SHEETS? These are extra large towels. Also, a towel warmer would be terrific in bath area.
  • christoper
    10 years ago
    me again
    Please don't paint your room dark...and your existing tile is a neutral and would
    look great with Benjamin Moore hc147. I really think the paint is what you need
    to brighten this room (along with white accessories) If there are medications
    in that brown basket, maybe find a smaller WHITE basket that would fit on the vanity.
    having meds near the toilet is an accident waiting to happen:) :) If you keep the
    paint icy (like sorbet colors) it will be very clean and spa looking. Think, beige, white and icy blue as your color scheme...:) please take a picture when you have adde a few
    things
    Good Luck
  • Power Zeus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks a lot, lot to think about...ill post some pics for more advice
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Make black and white photos of the two of you together, pets, family, children, favorite places... Frame them and hang them about the room. Then add a plain framed picture of her favorite color, add towels and a rug in that color. I suggest a squishy, comfortable over-sized cotton rug. Add something to play music.

The room seems large enough to add a spa bench. Her accoutrements could be tucked in there for easy access in matching large baskets and the scale tucked underneath.

Get her a wonderful soft robe to hang on a hook on the door.
  • hasinajiwani
    10 years ago
    You are very thoughtful. I think that a coat of paint always breathes new energy into a place, and cheers people up. If that is more work than you can do just now then how about the artwork that has been suggested, new towels are always welcome, some matching wicker baskets in graduated sizes to hold toiletries, magazines etc., and how about changing out the toilet brush with a sleek and small metal type or atleast reassign it not so prominent realestate. Hope your wife gets well soon.
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Oh and a small cabinet on the wall with a towel bar. You could put the items on the toilet on the top.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Try flameless candles with a remote control - no worries about a knocked over candle causing a fire or dripping wax. Unless you get soy or beeswax, regular, scented candles can have a cloying smell. Buy the highest quality body lotions and shower gels as you can - organic if possible. Again, that cloying smell!
    Fabulous Flameless Candles · More Info
    Remote Controlled Wax Flameless Candles · More Info
    Power Zeus thanked hanna1984
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Clear away clutter in both the bathroom and bedroom. I'm assuming she'll be in the bedroom most of the time at first. That will give you time to de-clutter the rest of the house. :) You are a wonderful man for thinking of this! The best thing you can do for her is to take care of yourself too. :)
  • mlou72
    10 years ago
    Store ideas:
    Bed Bath and Beyond

Bath and Body works for yummy smelly pampering things

Target

Kohl's

Add some fresh cut flowers, they are always cheery.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    If you have an opening for a vanity stool under your bathroom countertop, get her a pretty vanity stool to sit on and dry herself off after her bath and to sit on while she dries her hair or puts on her makeup. A mirrored tray to put her lotions, perfume and makeup on would be so pretty. An magnifying mirror makes it easier to put on makeup when you are sitting and can't lean into the mirror to see. :)
    Safavieh Georgia Vanity Stool · More Info
    Dipali Mirrored Tray · More Info
    Mevedo 5592 Magnifying Mirror 3X · More Info
  • ishcountrygal
    10 years ago
    Power Zeus, I commend you for your thoughtfulness about your wife's recovery. Those of us who have helpful and patient partners are truly blessed! I've survived treatment for four different cancers, so I've had experience using our bathroom when unwell, both before and after the room was remodeled.

You ask about making the bathroom more spa-like. For me, both color and lighting are important. I like others' recommendations for pale, serene, colors. I chose a very pale green for walls, a warm white for the ceiling and a tan earthy tile for the floor. Having dimmable lights is very important to me. We now have a dimmable LED over the shower and dimmable fluorescents on either side of the mirror. At night when I get up, I turn on the shower LED to its lowest setting. I find dim lights much more restful than bright lights at night.

As for bath towels, it can be important to have towels accessible from the toilet because if one is ill, he/she doesn't want to step on body fluids. As to the color of towels, think about what your wife's taste is. I personally don't like white hotel towels in my home, but others do. (Hospitals have nothing but white linens, but they are not fluffy!) I chose two shades of pale green and a pale heather. I do not use big or thick towels, because I sometimes go through many. Regular sized, not-so-thick towels launder up more quickly. But the recommendation for plenty of new, coordinated, fluffy towels is good.

Decluttering has already been mentioned. As to the bathroom scale, send it into hibernation. People tend to lose or gain weight after health issues; it's better to concentrate on getting good nutrition rather than on pounds. As to scents, one can become overly sensitive to odors as a result of chemo, and I suppose other meds or conditions. So be sure your wife is OK with scents. I second the suggestion to use flameless candles. I use LED candles in the bathroom when the power is off. I don't care to expose my sometimes wobbly self or cats to open flames.

If you want a toilet brush in the bathroom, you can replace it with an upscale one that has more holder and less stick showing, in something like powder-coated steel or ceramic rather than plastic. Try searching houzz products for toilet brush or look at these: http://www.garnethill.com/classic-bath-accessory-collection/344425

And do think seriously about getting in-floor heating in the future. I'm glad our contractor recommended it when we put in ceramic tile as it's especially appreciated when getting up during the night.

I found that modifying our bathroom for safety was even more important to me than changing the ambiance, but that would be another long discussion.