Bi Level Entry Design Help
jenkaz
Hi all! Working on updating our entry way...there is drywall behind the cedar planking and we are going to update a new door with insert plus one side light. Also thinking about adding a inflow above our in the spring, but looking or ideas on design for the tall walls and the space in general. Thank you!!!
lewmett
I would think about deleting the spindles and maybe use glass railing or even metal (iron) railing. Glass would open that space up. A side lite by the door would be nice, but then it would be a major reno.
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 4:14PM
roccouple
Looks very lovely overall, glad you are also replacing the door. My only concern is that the transition from the cedar to the white wall upstairs seems maybe a little abrupt. A darker paint color upstairs might help tgst, or trim
   February 28, 2014 at 5:12PM
Additional daylight would be a welcomed change for this area.
   February 28, 2014 at 5:24PM
HI -- So I am not understanding -- are you removing the cedar wood and looking for an other idea for this landing ? I think you should re-move all that dated wood and maybe find a nice wallpaper to update the entrance . Also change or paint the wood railing a black or white . This depends on the wallpaper you choose and the style of your décor etc. I don't mind the retro style light fixture but that could change if you want something with a little more drama . Not sure what you mean by an inflow .???
3 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 6:10PM
jenkaz
Jeez, I got typing too fast and didn't proof read, sorry about that! I meant that we are adding a window above the door and yes, we are removing the cedar, in fact it was a wild Friday night in our house!! I guess I'm looking for alternatives to the cedar "feature wall" I want a WOW when people walk in...I like the idea of the wallpaper and will definitely keep that in mind, anything else anyone can think of? Specifically for that big,tall wall (the one with the cedar still on it in this recent pic-it ill be removed eventually)
   February 28, 2014 at 8:51PM
lolanez
Hi! I have the same issue. Also have a bi level with cedar entry and same exact staircase. Looks so dark. A window would be a nice touch. I'm not sure if I just want to paint right over it or remove altogether. How hard was it removing the planks?

Good luck it's looking better already!
   Thanked by jenkaz    July 25, 2014 at 12:39PM
I think I would have kept the wood opposite the door, and mounted a sculpture on it, adding a more dramatic light fixture. This one is too much like your current fixture. Is the window for a feature, light or both?

Thanked by jenkaz    July 25, 2014 at 1:19PM
jenkaz
Hey lolanez, so removing the cedar was pretty easy (a few hours), however the drywall underneath it was obviously FULL of nail holes and damage from the cedar planking being nailed to it. We hired a professional mudder to skim coat the entire area. It was cheaper than re dry walling over top of the damaged drywall and turned out awesome! This is where we're at right now...he has to come back Monday and sand. We're also sanding down the bannister and staining it a deep mahogany color and I've ordered a giant orb light....I'll keep you posted!
3 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 1:43PM
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
It looks so much brighter already...i think the window above the door would bring in good light. a modern chandelier would be great too!
1 Like   Thanked by jenkaz    July 25, 2014 at 1:59PM
lolanez
Hi jenkaz!

It looks great! So jealous! Please keep me posted, you are starting to inspire me to tackle mine!
1 Like   July 25, 2014 at 6:50PM
Shakúff
What a change! It looks great!! Adding a window above the door would really bring in some light. Add a staggered chandelier to fill the space and to really shine in that natural light from the window when it's not on! Here's some that we've custom-made for similar spaces. :)
   August 8, 2014 at 7:01AM
Soothing Company
This is a great opportunity for a water wall. Water walls are not only pleasing to the eye but they also help clean the air by attracting dust particles. Here are some pics of similar designs - more at http://www.soothingcompany.com/water-fountains/wall-fountains.html

Serene Wall Fountain with Copper Trim

Serene Falls Stainless Steel Wall Fountain
   August 8, 2014 at 7:16AM
Please I need your help on a patio design free software/entry level
I love landscape/deck/patio and I am thinking of starting...
"HELP" with Bi-level Family Room
I have a bi-level home and I use my basement space...
I need help renovating / remodeling my existing bi-level home.
The house was built in the mid 60's. The existing structure...
Need help with updating the exterior of this bi-level
HELP!!! I just purchased this home and need help updating...
Brick bi-level help
I'm underwhelmed by the exterior of our new home--I'm...
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
How nice do we make the bathroom to add value before selling?
Small only bathroom. Complete overhaul, or just new...
Family Room Clean Slate
I am working with a clean slate in this family room....
Craftsman Living Room/Dining Room Help
This post replaces my request for suggestions in hiring...
New Sofas but no idea how to design a stylish living room
Hi, we just moved from Tokyo to NY. Now we have...