Need Help with colours for Kitchen
rspoechman
So I am building a house. My kitchen cabinets are a soft black with expresso brown undertone. For laminate counter top I am thinking ; Formatop - Luna Crest H.D. W1852K-35. I was also wondering if I could do a greyish tone wall with this? Our floors are a light colour with some grey tone
karemore55
Hello! I am posting your countertop color below. Grey would be fine, but maybe get a hint of blue in it rather than a steel grey.
March 1, 2014 at 7:12PM      Thanked by rspoechman
karemore55
Here is Ben Moore Escarpment. It's a very muddy color, but I can't say it doesn't work. I think it's just my personal preference getting in the way. The colors you have picked, while working well together, are quite cold and almost dreary. But it is your kitchen! If it works for you, hey, go for it!
March 1, 2014 at 7:48PM   
hanna1984
This is the paint color you referenced above - Escarpment. One of the accent colors for Escarpment on the Benjamin Moore website, Midnight Oil, is described by Benjamin Moore as a "darkest shade of blue-black" so, I'm going to make the ASSUMPTION that Escarpment also has a blue tint to it. My advice is to call or visit your Benjamin Moore dealer and ask about the tints that make up Escarpment. I think it is a very nice shade! Buy a sample can of the paint(s) you are considering using a do a test either on all of your walls or on a piece of posterboard. Place this piece of poster board in different places in your room during different parts of the day to get an idea of what the paint looks like under different lighting conditions. To me it is easier to just paint a large swatch on the wall since I'm going to paint the wall anyway. :)
March 1, 2014 at 8:00PM   
hanna1984
Think about using quartz for your countertops. As I understand it, quartz is easier to take care of than granite and marble, but it might be more expensive. The extra expense would be worth it to me because of the ease of care. :)
March 1, 2014 at 8:08PM   
hanna1984
In your laundry room and basement bar consider using a laminate countertop. It costs less and the care requirements are easier than marble.
March 1, 2014 at 8:10PM   
hanna1984
Give some consideration to Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. I used it in my kitchen and I love it. It goes great with every color I can think of! It is not as dark as Escarpment.
March 1, 2014 at 8:17PM      Thanked by rspoechman
hanna1984
Personally, I would go with the Calcutta Marble countertop. With the black cabinets, the lighter countertop would lighten up the kitchen. If you like the Luna Crest better, go for it! If you go with the Luna Crest I would go with a light paint like the Revere Pewter. It will go with the Luna Crest just fine. But still, get a sample can and try it for yourself to make sure you like it :)
March 1, 2014 at 8:36PM   
cdpras
Have you gone to the Formica website? I'm a big fan of the Formica 180fx. They will send you 12x12 inch samples for free. Helps to have an actual sample in hand when you are choosing your counters and paint .
March 1, 2014 at 8:38PM   
hanna1984
I like Benjamin Moore and I asked for the contractor's grade paint. It is a great quality paint and the price isn't bad.
March 1, 2014 at 8:38PM   
hanna1984
rspoechman, if you haven't gotten samples of the countertop material, take advantage of the free samples!
March 1, 2014 at 8:39PM   
hanna1984
Here are Silver Fox and Stonington Gray. I think Silver Fox is too dark and Stonimgton Gray looks too cool. Silver Fox 2108-50 by Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray HC-170 by Benjamin Moore
March 1, 2014 at 8:45PM   
hanna1984
I wouldn't use either of these colors with the Luna Crest. They just don't seem to have right right tone.
March 1, 2014 at 8:49PM   
hanna1984
That look is really a rich look! None of the paints you have considered have the warm tone of the tiles used in that kitchen. Plus that kitchen has lighting under the cabinets which affects how the tile in that picture looks. Talk to your painter and see what he thinks. :)
March 1, 2014 at 8:54PM   
hanna1984
Unless the Calcutta has some warm, brown colors in it too, I wouldn't use a warm color like Escarpment. I'd find a cool gray.
March 1, 2014 at 9:09PM   
hanna1984
Well, I'll take that back - Escarpment may be a cool enough gray to go with the Calcutta! :)
March 1, 2014 at 9:11PM   
bubbasgma
rspoechman.... You say this is a new build?
March 1, 2014 at 9:28PM   
hanna1984
You might just go with what you pick for the kitchen. :)
March 1, 2014 at 9:41PM   
bubbasgma
rspoechman- The 4 photos you have posted?
March 1, 2014 at 10:08PM   
Brian Roberts
I second Hannah1984 with the revere pewter...this is a soft pleasant warm grey that doesn't make a room feel dark.
March 1, 2014 at 10:43PM     
hanna1984
How soon do you plan to sell the house?
March 2, 2014 at 8:32AM   
bubbasgma
If you are selling the house in just 2-3 years, I would design with re-sale in mind and not do things that are unusual for your neighborhood.
March 2, 2014 at 8:45AM     
hanna1984
I like what your neighbor has, too. It's a very nice design and I think it would appeal to other people.I would use the same cabinets and countertops throigh out the whole house. In the bathrooms, the laundry room and in the basememt.
March 2, 2014 at 9:18AM   
bubbasgma
rspoechman...I see you are new to Houzz and haven't started any ideabooks yet. There are lots of great design examples here, that might be a good place to start.
March 2, 2014 at 9:21AM   
hanna1984
I'm not familiar with parastone, but I think the Dura Ceramic has a good reputation for quality. :)
March 2, 2014 at 9:22AM   
bubbasgma
A word of warning....I would not "copy" what a neighbor has worked hard to create. I don't believe that would be a good way to begin a new friendship.
March 2, 2014 at 9:25AM     
hanna1984
Did you decide against the Luna Crest or is that what you still want?
March 2, 2014 at 9:26AM   
bubbasgma
You can do a search for product info and reviews by typing the product name in the search bar at the top of the page using quotes. "dura ceramic"
March 2, 2014 at 9:29AM   
bubbasgma
This will give you all the previous discussions where posters discussed "dura ceramic". http://www.houzz.com/discussions/query/%22dura-ceramic%22
March 2, 2014 at 9:30AM   
hanna1984
Are you looking at samples at a local design center or going off what you see online?
March 2, 2014 at 10:00AM     
bubbasgma
The best flooring choice will depend on your families needs, pets, locale, lifestyle, weather, subfloor, floor plan, budget. I would recommend researching the pros/cons of each brand/type and consulting a flooring expert who can examine your floor plan.
March 2, 2014 at 10:08AM     
hanna1984
Don't do upgrades to your home that other people in your neighborhood are not doing. You will not get your money back when you sell your home. I would use the same materials, in the same colors, in your bathrooms, laundry room and basement. You have chosen your cabinets and don't want to consider any other colors, is that correct?
March 2, 2014 at 10:22AM   
hanna1984
I the top right countertop. It is less busy than the other two and suites the size of the island. :)
March 3, 2014 at 6:31AM   
hanna1984
Looks great!! :)
March 3, 2014 at 11:07AM   
hanna1984
Your kitchen is going to be beautiful! Post pictures as the work progresses!! :)
March 3, 2014 at 11:14AM   
hanna1984
That's wonderful. I'm glad you are less stressed! Save the Luna Crest idea for your next house!! :)
March 3, 2014 at 11:25AM   
hanna1984
I think it's more contemporary. It has more detail and patterns to be modern.
March 3, 2014 at 11:29AM   
hanna1984
March 3, 2014 at 11:36AM   
RE3Designs
'Modern' means 'new' or 'up-to-date'. 'Contemporary' means 'belonging to the same period'.
The two meanings are very interchangeable but in the case of a kitchen:
I usually say if it has more of a warm feeling its Contemporary, if it is simple and a bit colder I would call it Modern.
Wood cabinets and Marble tops are more Contemporary
High gloss doors and solid color Quarts tops are more Modern
March 3, 2014 at 11:58AM   
hanna1984
Why would you want to delete it? :) If you really, really do want to delete it, go to the bottom of the page and you'll see Contact Us. Open it up and it will take you to FAQ. In the paragraph above Search, there is a "submit a support request" in green letters. Click on that, and email them. I have seen two dilemmas where the comments of the person who started the dilemma were deleted but the dilemma itself was not deleted. They involved legal problems the people who started the dilemmas were having over a dispute with a contractor doing repairs on their houses and when they settled the dispute they had to delete their comments in the dilemma as part of the settlement. In another case a person started a dilemma that was a mean, viscious attack on another Houzzer, they deleted the whole dilemma. Maybe they will delete it if you have a good reason :)
March 3, 2014 at 2:46PM   
RE3Designs
Full tile all the way from the countertop to the cabinet bottom. Weather it's glass, stone or combination of materials is up to you. I have not done a 4" backsplash in years. Maybe it's just here in my area.
March 4, 2014 at 6:53PM   
bubbasgma
rspoechman-Very hard to give any suggestions with so much of the discussion and all of your photos deleted.
March 4, 2014 at 7:58PM   
RE3Designs
If you look at kitchen pics on here it's hard to find one with a 4" backsplash. Probably because the kitchen pics featured are mostly by professional designers. 4" is more of a builder basic grade, all tile is more of a designer upgrade
March 5, 2014 at 5:04AM   
Need help choosing a colour for kitchen/living/hallway - same colour!
I'm doing a complete refurb and want to paint the kitchen/living...
Need help with interior wall colour and kitchen cabinet colour.
House has 24 in x 24 in beige glossy ceramic floor...
Need help with Kitchen colour help....
I need some advice on kitchen colour. My living and...
Need help on kitchen wall colour
Not sure what colour to paint my kitchen walls. The...
Need help choosing wall paint colours for living room/kitchen please
I'd like to paint my living room but for the last 3...
need help with floor stain color
thinking of doing the walls a light gray tone and trim...
sliding barn doors
How do you keep a barn door from swing out?
Choosing A Dining Room Table
I have a 1923 small bungalow. I like mission style....
Exterior paint suggestions
My 1959 bungalow needs perking up , Light rust terracotta...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...