Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrispazzani

How to avoid a fabric fiasco.

Truffle lover
10 years ago
I got a duvet cover for our guest room which I really like. The room is small and the print is large but doesn't seem to overpower the space. It makes me want to go sort of in a tommy Bahama direction. On the reverse side is a small print which is okay but I am not in love with. I am looking for fabric to do a little valance over a cellular shade on a 75 inch window and I can't seem to figure out what to make it out of, solid, stripe, geomatic, another small ikat coordinated to the reverse of the duvet cover, et cetera. It looks better on the bed, but the last pic of the reverse side is taken while it is drying in the laundry room. That was a trial on the window using a table runner but I didn't think the colors worked. I feel like it should stick to a cream and white look maybe. Thanks for looking!

Comments (112)

• Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I believe I do have some 2 x 2s hanging around if it comes to that!
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Oh, you think like me! I used to hate hubby's business trips but now I view them as opportunites! LOL!!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kitty slept all night in there and gave me the snub! She did join me early this morning in my bed - which I'm still not out of! - because she wants her treats. I honestly cannot believe how much she likes that room even more now. It's as if she thinks I'm really doing the whole thing for her!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Valance fabric. Picked up samples of these two. Still not lovin it. Like the swirly one more than the geometric and the green is better on that one. Will keep looking I think. Definitely going subdued on the box and head now. Samples I got of that too tiny to photograph I think. Going to look for curtain panels in right shade for those. Just need two to cover it all.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For Hanna, the lampshade obsessed. ;-) The original one on this lamp color wise matches the new overhead drum better than the two new I picked up, but I don't like the shape of the old even though I'm okay with the color. I like the rectangular of one of the new because it can sit closer to wall, but not liking the color. Seems to just introduce a different shade of beige. Will return and keep an eye out for something better.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Progress. Your ceiling fixture has 2 colors in it and you could try the light band color for your new shade. Another shade that would give the lamp a total new vibe is black - especially if you still plan on using black elsewhere in your room. You could try that too. This is called a bird's nest lamp because of the decorative element in the stand. Since the lamp base is round, a round shade would look more cohesive.

I really feel that you need a larger pattern on your valance fabric to balance the duvet's strong pattern. The bed will be the focal point and needs something else almost as bold so the bed doesn't completely take over. Even a ticking design would help. You could check the outdoor fabric department because often those fabrics might work pattern-wise - you never know. These fabrics are also great to work with because they have a nice hand with lots of body.
    Truffle lover thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 years ago
    WOW you've been BUSY & have accomplished a LOT!!! The bed placement is better, love the fabrics, drum shade, the bedside table, the headboard project!!! I have one thought...since you're doing an upholstered headboard, how would you feel about doing a cornice board on the window instead of a valance??? And I like the idea of a swing arm lamp on the bedside.
    Truffle lover thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 years ago
    Oh & Sandy is right on about the scale of the fabrics.
    Truffle lover thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- These might help you visualize how different pattern scales would look with your duvet. Remember that you will be looking at this valance from a distance, sort of, and if the pattern is too small, you will not see it because of "visual mix". That's when your eyes cannot see tiny details from a ways back and, as a result, mix all of the colors together and get a different color. This is why you need a stronger, larger print. The difference in the freshness of the large green and black/white prints shows.

Too much info? I apologize for rambling on so much, but it is a design truth.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Well, Truffle! Sandy and Oasis have taken over my job as lampshade consultants so I'll just have to watch and pout ....... with the kitty! hahaha!
    Truffle lover thanked hanna1984
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    You don't need my help with valance either. That's a great idea, Sandy. :) *whispering* I like the larger scale prints better.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You guys are the best help! When I say "valance" I actually mean more of a small cornice box, the DIY kind that weighs almost nothing. The advice about scale of pattern is very useful! I got sidetracked on my outing for fabric today because the weather is gorgeous and I popped in shopping for some spring tops for me instead. Now back to work. Thanks again!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sandy, what about the black and white fretwork print from a couple posts up? It's in a photo with some other solids laid out on the floor. Would that work on the window?
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 years ago
    Good!!! Sandy's doing some great work for you!!!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- So, what I would say is that your duvet is organic and I would recommend a strong linear pattern. There is the possibility that another organic pattern [which this one is] would fight as your eye tries to figure out where to look. With a linear pattern, there isn't this conflict because they have their own statements that are not related pattern-wise. This is a good example of the challenges of mixing patterns. There is black in your duvet and in this valance sample - enough to coordinate them in your room. The hitch here is in the lines of the pattern - one strong curvy + another strong curvy = overload.

The interesting thing here is that the blue side of your duvet would probably be good with your sample below. You mentioned turning the top back over the flowers at times. That might work too.

This is a lame example, but . . . It's like - with both being organic, you are having a tiff with your sister - agrh - who needs that? It could go on and on and on, etc. With one organic and one linear, you are having a tiff with the stranger behind you at the super market line and, in the end, you walk out the door as if, whatever. You voiced your opinion and she/he voiced his/hers and it was over.

One last point. This is YOUR room, not mine. I am using my education and experience to do a little coaching - not strong-arm you to what I like. You should not have any idea what style I have because it just doesn't matter here. If you love the print below, you should definitely use it! Be happy in your home for sure!

Another glass of wine anyone?
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm really appreciating the education! I think I understand the concept of linear, so onward and upward. Believe me, if I love something and want it, I stick with it. I like a lot of styles and that's why I wind up all over the place. In this one tiny room, I want that completely pulled together look I've always longed for so I'm taking your advice very seriously.
    BTW, my master bedroom drapes came out FAB! Will share photos soon, after I can untie the bottoms which I was told to let sit while the ripple pleats set. Such fun!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Before I commit to this "fabric" - or get committed for my insanity - how is it working? Here is my goal: make the upholstered bed out of a neutral but one that doesn't make the current duvet look dirty or vice versa. There were a lot of "whites" in the stores which on display looked cream like my background but in the packages looked too white. This is why I like the drapery panel as fabric concept: I can bring home a big enough piece to see it well and it it doesn't work, back it goes. Actual fabric purchases I would waste a lot of money on getting right for the bed. I will bring home actual fabrics for the window because I don't need so much volume. Today khols had buy one panel and get one more for a dollar. I tried lots of other places and dint hit on anything. Thoughts and input, both positive and negative, are all welcome before I start cutting, stapling and glueing all this on. Thanks! (I know computer monitors don't always portray things accurately but you're my only hope)
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    As an aside, some day I'm sure the dingy carpet will get ripped out of here so I don't think I should fret over how it plays with the carpet color. Should I?
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Don't fret over the carpet, for goodness sakes. The headboard looks great. There's contrast with the wall and the sunflower ties that "fabric" color into the duvet. You will drive yourself nuts running all over town trying to make every little piece match. That blue and the red and the different greens all look great with that shade. :)
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sigh of relief. It sort of brings me back to my original mission for this whole house which was a mix of all neutrals. I figure it will look better, irony, attached firmly and maybe someday a paint color tweak too. I like my trim color that we did throughout to cover all the '80s oak, but that white is too white. Last minute I had the painters switch it in all the more lived in rooms
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Agree with hanna1984 - - The color of the panel is fine for the headboard and box spring. I like the grommets running down the side of the headboard too. Is there any way you could work that strip into your construction? This pack rat thinks, if not, at least save that strip of grommeted remnant. Maybe for use on a pillow?
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, good idea! Can't use it on head because batting would show through holes. I had saved a picture here on houz somewhere of some trim on a rectangular headboard which I thought I might add later if time with the black ribbon. No way to add nailhead trim into the foam. Stapling box now and still swirling ideas around my head for attaching head to wall to keep it lifted a bit higher than sitting on box. Have some foam core board glued to the back of it now to see if that will adhere tight enough because the command strips do stick well to that. Looking like another all nighter, or at least midnight or so. Still having fun at least. Thanks.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I thought you might enjoy a look at my mess! She's a coming along for sure.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Oh no! You've been robbed! The duvet set is gone! :D
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good morning cyber friends. The upholstered box came out very well. You may notice no foam headboard yet. Why didn't anyone tell me I wasn't going to be able to attach the fabric right to the foam!? I'm off to lowes or Home Depot first thing this morning to get mdf to attach to back so I can staple the fabric around it. At least that will help solve the how to hang dilemma.
    Have a hair appointment this afternoon which is really gonna get in the way of my progress, but can't have the house looking good and me looking like a wild woman, so I'll keep it. Have a nice day, all. I couldn't have done this without you! One is the lighting with shade closed and the other is shade half open no artificial lights turned on.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Post pics when it all comes together. Don't leave us hangin' :)
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are eagerly awaiting our guest who arrives tomorrow! The headboard finally got covered with the addition of a piece of 1/4 mdf to the back. It is just propped right now and probably a tad unlevel, but I will get it wall mounted with my sister's help so it sits higher. That does create an odd gap at the wall between top of box and bottom of headboard so I have to decide the lesser of two evils. This way touching the box it actually looks like a one piece bed. Maybe just I would notice the gap the other way and the overall feeling of the higher headboard would override anyone noticing the gap. Hopefully we girls will have some fun picking a fabric for the cornice and I will tell her all about how helpful you houzzers have been. I will sleep better tonight!
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Ya'll have fun tomorrow! :)
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Hanna. She's staying a whole week. I'm very excited! We even have tickets to The Price is Right. She deserves a vacation so that's why I try and make the guest room hotel like. I'm even tying that beautiful blue into the adjoining bathroom now. It seems to be my happy color.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I wanna come and stay, too! What a great time for sisters!!!!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    One itty bitty suggestion.....see the lamp cord? Yup! You shouldn't if possible. Try to run it behind a table leg.
    Truffle lover thanked abbyjean
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Definitely, Abby jean. Just threw that in there last minute when I realized I hadn't shopped for a wall mount or cute table lamp yet and knew I would forget if I didn't quick do it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • jillqberry
    10 years ago
    Neat Duvet! Where did you find it??

I'm coming in late here, but it's a 100% improvement with the bed away from the wall + pillows + cute nightstand! I think a pattern on the
    headboard would have stolen the duvet's thunder. I'm glad you went neutral.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi jillq
    Found it online at http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/closeout-gypsy-garden-3-piece-duvet-cover-set?ID=683296
    I'm glad I went neutral too, but I plan on adding some sort od detail with ribbon or trim to make it look a little moe finished. Thinking about switching the bed legs also to something blockier but worry about the screw holes getting stripped if I keep tinkering. If I knew how to move an image from an idea book to a discussion, I would show example of detail for headboard. Thanks for the nice comment.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Headboard detail idea
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Love that style of detail on the headboard. You might not have room for something on that grand of a scale but I can definitley see that working - black maybe? Do you have room for a bench at the end of the bed? Like that look too. Something that's not as fussy as the one in the picture. You've gotten this together fast! I bet you can try another set of legs too, without stripping the wood. :)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Or you could paint these legs to go with the side table....even a black, as that would tie in with the bedding, too. These that are there now are really fine, too, as they just sort of fade away and do not call attention to themselves.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The legs came unfinished and I plan to stain or paint either to match table or just black. I put little sliders on the bottoms so they move pretty well on the carpet but if I'm not careful they get sort of askew. That's a we will see maybe later detail.
    I am trying to figure out if there is room at foot of bed for a small bench type deal - so handy to plop your suitcase on or keep that extra blanket if I keep the house too cold for guest comfort. Of course, Roxie, the cat, thinks it all looks nice as is and wishes I would stop fussing and get back to what's important - playing string with her!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Flight is getting in almost 20 minutes early. I better scramble and put my decor brain on hold! Thanks all.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    I bet she does! I was wondering what she thought when you had the bed on its side and all the bedding was gone..... LOL. Love how cats think or at least how I think cats think. :)
  • jillqberry
    10 years ago
    Re: book to discussion - do you have a cell phone that takes pics? That's how i do it.

I wish I could take my own advice. My bedroom is the smallest room at the house and I just can NOT make myself center it vs having it up against the wall. I don't like the felling that I (or my pillows) might fall off! Plus I've got 2 cats and a dog jumping around in there!
  • User
    10 years ago
    You have blinds for privacy. I would hang drapes. Put the rod near the ceiling. Off white drapes would look best.
  • jillqberry
    10 years ago
    Truffle,

It's your room!

http://houzz.com/photos/1048671
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Hope you are having a nice visit!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Headboard finally completed and mounted! We did end up using the grommets and covered them in ribbon and attached so the headboard wasn't just a flat dull blob. Still looking at fabrics to finish the top of the window with. My sister is a genius so we may end up with sort of a false roman shade look by putting in a couple folds. More later when that gets done. Hope y'all like!
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Wow! Can't wait to see to the windows next. :)
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- You said that things would move along with sis there! Guess you were right! Your headboard is adorable! Congrats!
  • Luv Romantic
    10 years ago
    So funny when I saw this post I have been eyeing the same duvet cover here-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Floral-Garden-Bedding-Duvet-Set/29701518?veh=dsn&wmlspartner=criteo&sourceid=crifbb29841fbb29841fbb29841fbb2984101.

But have never been able to keep one looking good on the spread. It is beautiful though!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Nothing better than sister time! The headboard is awesome! How was The Price is Right???
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean,
    Fun, fun - but we didn't get selected. Good times for sure.