I need help. Dining room at a standstill.
annapearl
Need window treatment, chair fabric and carpet ideas. Dining room small. Can't use more than a ten by Eleven foot rug. Colors in dining rm: sw compatible cream walls, napery trim. Room dark. View outside room awful--my neighbors brick wall. Current sheers give some needed privacy and let light in but unattractive against window frame. Craftsmen type house. Living room color restoration hardware sycamore and hallway napery. Carpet outside dining room in entrance hall oriental cream and persimmon. Rooms close together. Worried about using patterned rug in dr. Colors on first floor sage green, persimmon and tan gold.
kmkane
Look at the Hunter Douglas Silhouettes for the windows. They are like sheers and magnify light but are not poofy. Beautiful!
http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=1

Go for a a little darker color for walls to show off beautiful window trim, can be same color as living room. Remove some furniture unless you absolutely need it, it's crowding the room, plus your furniture styles do not match (buffet look Mediterranean, table and chairs farmhouse, light fixture Victorian, not Craftsman.) Table/Chairs will look lovely with patterned rug.
March 3, 2014 at 11:42AM   
thiamom
I like the sheers. They just need to be longer, inside mount like you have them, but full coverage.
March 3, 2014 at 11:52AM     
thiamom
You might be able to get some length if you take the hem out, top and bottom, and eliminate the ruffle (header) at the top...not sure.

But, to me, although beautiful, silhouette blinds are cold. They don't soften the window the way these sheers do...plus they're pricey! And I can't imagine you would use them in the open position because you don't want the view.

Regular honeycomb shades (duette) would be less expensive if you're going the blind route and you're going to leave them down all the time anyway. Then I'd suggest a valance, to finish off the top, hide the head rails, and add some color...bringing your eye up and making the windows seem taller.
But! You could do this with sheers too
My vote, For what it's worth, stick with sheers!
March 3, 2014 at 12:00PM     
lucidos
What a lovely home. In keeping with the craftsman style I would mount top and bottom rod pocket sheers on hinged rods. Then a panel left and right of the window...using the same material on the panel as on the chairs. A round braided rug would be great in that space.
March 3, 2014 at 12:01PM     
thiamom
I'd also recover your dining room slipseats with a persimmon and gold geometric pattern...all you need is a staple gun
If you don't want a patterned rug, you could get a sisal rug with rust banding...
March 3, 2014 at 12:03PM     
Warner Decor
Hi! Don't be scared of a patterned rug :) I think what you need is a neutral rug that has pattern to it. Here are a few choices:
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/5x8-medallion-natural-flat-woven-wool-rug/
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/5-x-8-teal-ivory-moroccan-shag-rug/
March 3, 2014 at 12:43PM     
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Wonderful room and you are on the right track with everything.

The sheers are just fine. The design of the windows with panes in each one should be enjoyed and not hidden. Drapery panels on the side walls would be nice - something light in color with simple, iron hardware.

The Mediterranean chest should be switched with the table in the foyer. [ Hope the chest fits there in the hallway. If it is low enough, add cushions to it ].
Develop the wall with the table in the dining room. A mirror above it would bring in more light for you. Of course Arts & Crafts style buffet lamps would be primo. Lower your fixture over the dining table to no higher than 36".

What taller piece is on the wall opposite the Mediterranean sideboard?
After finding a rug, you can settle on fabrics to upholster your chair seats.

Remove the piece of carpet that is in the room now that does not fit into the window area and replace it with an area rug under the dining set. Patterned area rugs that coordinate are nice - there are just a few things to remember while using them throughout a home. Would need to see the other rug to comment or find examples of coordinating rugs.

The centerpiece is running the wrong way on the table. Turn it 90 deg. to span the length of the table. Think about chunkier candles and holders. Arts & Crafts designs are heavier looking than other styles, and so your accessories should be too - well, within reason, of course.
March 3, 2014 at 12:44PM     
Keep your eye open for a Craftsman style buffet and add a gorgeous rug.
March 3, 2014 at 12:51PM   
kmkane
Here's a type of rug that could work

The middle has a block which provides interest and color, yet the outside is lighter and blends with the floor, preventing a sharp contrast. That's good for a small-ish room.

Thiamom only annapearl will know if she will keep her window coverings closed all day and night. Let me clarify and say I've lived with Silhouettes for 18 years. IMO, my room is not cold. I suppose it depends on which way the room faces - north? south? and what color the walls are painted.

To each his own on costs and appearance and what we invest in our own homes.
March 3, 2014 at 1:17PM   
15kris
Just finished shoveling snow! Thank you all for your comments. One writer suggested that the buffet in the dining room is too large for the room. I never thought about this, but you are correct. However, It is an antique oak piece and I need it for dining room storage and as a place to serve food from. There is a mirror over the buffet with two sconces. The piece is too big for the hallway. On the other wall is an antique oak icebox which I also use for storage. While the silhouettes are a great idea (and I used to have them in a den), I think I prefer the sheers all the way up. I think if I do white sheers instead of the ivory which I have now, it will look crisper as shown in the picture. I keep the window coverings closed all the time. I also loved the side panels suggested by Lucidos. The color looked great. Where did you find them. The rug suggestions were also interesting. I think I will look for a slight pattern or maybe a sisal with the rust binding. I have an oriental in the living room and hallway, so I want to keep the dining room rug simple. I also loved the idea of the persimmon and gold geometric seat covers. Any suggestions on the particular fabric. Again thank you all for the wonderful help. Annapearl.
March 3, 2014 at 2:02PM     
A wool sisal-look will be softer if you ever dine barefoot!
March 3, 2014 at 3:46PM   
15kris
Yes, I suspect a wool sisal look might also be easier to clean. Does anyone have any suggestions on a panel curtain I can use on either side of windows. I like what lucidos picked out but can't find anything like it online. Manly thanks, new friends!
March 3, 2014 at 3:58PM   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- If you stand in the hallway and glance into the dining room, you do not find much color or pattern If this is the look you are focused on, then you are just about finished!

If, however, you would like a little more depth and interest, you could add a rug, draperies, upholstered chair seats and artwork. These examples are taken from the rug you have in the hallway - Neutral color with a arts and crafts pattern.

Draperies could be light in color so as not to break up the wall into smaller pieces and to allow as much light in as possible. These draperies are from J.C. Penny and are 40% - 50% off.
March 3, 2014 at 4:58PM   
janeinfo
So I am not an expert on the craftsman style, but is your chandelier something you would change? Is this a style that fits the craftsman style? If so, is there any way you could lower it a bit? Seems it's a tad too high to my eyes. As far as your window treatments, have you thought about shutters that do not go all the way up and then have panels on the outside of your windows?

March 3, 2014 at 5:07PM   
lucidos
The panels shown used an arts and craft stencil on a green and white stripe material.

Some sites to look at:
http://textilestudio.com/curtains.html http://www.annwallace.com/catalog/ArtsCraftsStencils.html

I could see stenciling the chairs in the same pattern as the drapes if you want to get crafty. The rods for the sheers that I suggested would allow you to open the windows easily yet still keep that non poofy craftsman look.
March 3, 2014 at 5:15PM   
Sandy G. ltd.
another example . . . Could not get it loaded earlier due to tech troubles with this site.
March 3, 2014 at 7:57PM      Thanked by annapearl
Natalie
Hi---pics for inspiration. Floor to ceiling panels/sheers, slipcovers for chairs (break up all the wood), solid rug. Good Luck.
[houzz=Classic High-rise Apartment - Cow Hollow][houzz=The Seligman]
March 3, 2014 at 8:23PM   
annapearl
I have so many wonderful options now. I will start shopping with all your ideas in mind and see what I can find. Thank u all so much for your input. You each started my creative ideas flowing.
March 4, 2014 at 4:44AM   
lucidos
Do show us as you start adding things! We would love to see the work in progress.
March 4, 2014 at 10:38AM      Thanked by annapearl
Genevieve
For the windows you could purchase rolls of stained glass film for the windows and no longer see the brick walls.and have sheer panels or a complimentary colour to the film that you would use ,and go from there with colours .

here is one example that would also look nice with the light fixture and carry on the style that you have

for that one I would pick red for the panels
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/24-inch-x-36-inch-summer-magnolia/846293
Bold Red Thai Silk Curtains

for the chairs
Rafael Red / Gold

Briarcliffe Area Rug
March 4, 2014 at 10:59AM      Thanked by annapearl
Add roman shades on window and keep 3/4 way dn. new more modern light. If you have carpet forget area rug. Paint a Sea Salt by BM. Shades should be 2 shades darker than walls. Are you keeping furn.?
March 4, 2014 at 11:14AM      Thanked by annapearl
Light is also too high 36" from top of table. Get 2 end chairs for table in a wing back a print in your paint color would work. And change the look of room. Keep side chairs.
March 4, 2014 at 11:15AM      Thanked by annapearl
Sorry I see you have wood floors in that case yes a rug rectangle like table. Big enough for chairs to be on it when sitting. Go a print with cream and aqua. To brighten up room. A traditional design.
March 4, 2014 at 11:19AM      Thanked by annapearl
annapearl
There are so many wonderful ideas that I am now overwhelmed. Will start my shopping soon. Thank u all.
March 4, 2014 at 6:04PM   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Being overwhelmed with all of this is fairly common - so take a break and keep us posted with your progress? Thanks!
March 4, 2014 at 6:10PM      Thanked by annapearl
dreamingofdesigns
I agree with the comment about a darker color. I rented a house with a similar dining room book. It was a dark maroon. I couldn't believe how great it looked and it didn't make it feel smaller.
March 9, 2014 at 9:20PM     
15kris
Sandy, working on room. you suggested an interesting green carpet. I would like to look at it in person. Do u happen to know the manufacturer and any identifying info. I could never buy a rug without seeing it in person. Many thanks. Annapearl.
March 14, 2014 at 11:09AM   
15kris
Kmkane. Any idea where to find the rug you suggested. Manufacturer? Many thanks. Gee, I am so excited by all my choices and the suggestions. You all are so creative.
March 14, 2014 at 11:18AM   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- I have sent all of the internet images I dug up for you to the trash and so no longer have it. You could try to find it at < rugs direct.com >. Also, the rug above that I posted is more of a gray than a green. Sorry I cannot be more precise. So happy that you are all charged up!
March 14, 2014 at 3:37PM   
I'm at a standstill with decorating my living room! Help!
I painted the walls "Whispering Wheat" a lovely color...
I need help decorating my open living room/dining room
I am trying to redecorate this space and need help....
Help! I need color/wall help in our dining room.
We have a semi open floor plan. standing in the hall...
outside update
hello. I meed a little help updating the exterior of...
Poll: Keep or replace old kitchen?
Hi everyone, this is the old kitchen that exists in...
1940 Brick House needs Curb Appeal Facelift
We just bought this house. Need to add some curb appeal....
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Need help updating the exterior of a brick ranch
Hello. I am hoping that some of you will have some...