Kitchen Sink
saltcreekbeach
All....after remodeling, I'm replacing a stainless steel (60/40 split w/ disposal on left) undermount sink in kitchen, with another stainless steel sink.

My question is: Should I keep the 60/40 split or go with what my contractor thinks is better - a 50/50 configuration?

My concern, is that some of my larger pans with the handles won't fit in either side.

Any suggestions from those whom have experienced both sizes, or have definitive opinions are greatly appreciated - thanks!
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
A single basin sink isn't an option? 3 kitchen remodels last year and as many the year before, not a single client chose a split basin sink. FWIW
March 3, 2014 at 11:17am      Thanked by saltcreekbeach
jn3344
I am going single basin myself. I have a 50/50 and I cant wash the big pans easily and I get water all over everywhere.
March 3, 2014 at 11:20am      Thanked by saltcreekbeach
saltcreekbeach
Thanks to the two above. Sounds like split basin isn't the way to go. Do you both highly recommend a larger, single basin over my current 60/40? Is that the trend now?

The smaller side of my old sink is/was only for food/disposal anyway or rinsing small items.
March 3, 2014 at 11:23am   
saltcreekbeach
Also - do you guys recommend choosing a sink where the hardware is attached through the sink itself, or through the granite counter top? Thanks.
March 3, 2014 at 11:25am   
RE3Designs
I have to agree with Yarbro. I think in the last year, at least 20 kitchen remodels, only two clients went with a double 60/40, none with 50/50, and the rest all single bowl.
March 3, 2014 at 11:26am      Thanked by saltcreekbeach
Katie Gooding
I went with a single bowl, and everyone told me I would hate it. Boy were they WRONG! Best thing I ever did. Okay, now I don't have half a sink to pile dishes in a drying rack into, but that just forces me to wash them, dry them, and put them away. And no more sink nastiness under the dish drainer. My roasting pan fits right in the bottom, and so does a sheet pan. I do not for a second regret the decision to go with a single basin. What do you use the second basin for? If you actually use the second basin for more than rinsing dishes then maybe I'd say keep it...
March 3, 2014 at 11:31am      Thanked by saltcreekbeach
I would not go with 50/50 unless you wash most of your dishes (not pots and pans, but dishes) by hand. Then the split is useful for drying. Otherwise either a big single basin (which is most people's preference these days) or a 70/30 split that comes up only half way (thus leaving the same amount of room for large baking sheets and pots as a single bowl) is more practical. 60/40 has always seemed too much like 50/50 to be any more useful.
March 3, 2014 at 11:33am      Thanked by saltcreekbeach
Christalyn
I personally hate the single bowl sinks. I was going to get one before my kitchen remodel but changed my mind after spending a week at my mother-in-law's trying to wash dishes in it. She hates it also. She loves the look but hates the function. I ended up getting a 1958 cast iron triple sink. Had it porcelain fired in black. And under mounted it. It is a bit wider than your average sink and I love it.Before you make a choice try washing your dishes in a plastic bucket and see if that is something you can live with.

As far as faucets go, if you can wall mount your faucets do it. It is worth the money no having to clean around those stems. If you can't get the one that is mounted in the granite. The further away from the water the better.
March 3, 2014 at 11:50am      Thanked by saltcreekbeach
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
When you buy a under mount sink, there are no holes in the lip of the basin to accept the faucet. The stone countertop will be drilled. I can't remember the last time a client didn't go with just a single hole faucet. You'll love a single basin sink for all the reasons Katie listed above
March 3, 2014 at 11:53am      Thanked by saltcreekbeach
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
via lactea granite kitchen counter
I have seen pictures of brushed via lactea and I love...
wall color?
I need suggestions for a wall color to go with the...
Screened in Porch
It's time to replace the astro-turf (ugh!) on the screened...
What do I do with a wall full of windows?
I have been contemplating putting more morrow windows?...