Need help with Family Room Remodel
hovep01
March 3, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Am planning a major overhaul of my family room. The room - which opens from the kitchen - is actually two rooms (family room and sun room). The wall separating the two rooms was never built - as you can see from the pictures the 'sun room' has a vaulted ceiling - the family room does not, creating one of the room challenges.

There are three 'competing' focus areas in the combined room; the fireplace, the tv, and the large window in the sun room (looks out onto lake).

Please disregard the furniture in the room - am doing total over haul. the purpose of my reach out is to get some guidance wrt the layout of the furniture i will be buying.

The dimensions of the family room is 13X17, the sun room is 10X17.

One of the questions I have: i am planning on adding built ins on both sides to the fireplace - will house a new flat panel tv within the cabinets to the right of the fireplace. was planning on having the cabinet end at the point of the wall where the vaulted part of the ceiling begins. Do you think this will look odd? should i bring the built in to the ceiling or leaving it a foot or so lower than the mantle?

My other question is related to furniture placement: i was planning on replacing the couch/loveseat (in the family room) with a neutral sectional.

i LOVE the attached leather recliner from PB - ideally i was thinking of placing two of these chairs about the same place the two wicker chairs are and then place new loveseat across from them. i don't think this will work as the leather chairs are very wide (42"). Herein lies the problem...my husband likes to seat in the 'sun room' section to watch tv and be able to look outside. so in essence i need to merge two room groupings. This is why i need to put the tv to the right of the fireplace (so it can be watched from both sides of the combined room). any ideas on how to still use the leather recliner(s) in the sun room section?

Any and all comments greatly appreciated. i have also included fabric samples for the new furniture - oh - and the trim in the room is being painted dover white and carpet being replaced with wood floor.

Thanks for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hovep01
here is the pb chair and fabrics i have been thinking of. am dropping country look and going transitional
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 11:16AM
decoenthusiaste
Depending on how large the TV set is, you might consider keeping the built-ins lower, like these, even though you don't have windows above. This avoids the issue of the change in ceiling heights .I think you could actually take the right one all the way over to the window. Would also advise against a love seat or any matched sets of seating or tables. Transitional looks do better with unmatched, more 'collected' looking pieces. I'm impressed with the flex sectionals whose chaise portion can be switched from side to side to easy arranging and rearranging.
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 11:31AM
hovep01
here is another configuration of furniture. picture leather recliners and different loveseat vs what i am using right now
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 11:35AM
hovep01
Thanks for the comments Deco...yes, am out of the matchy, matchy phase. am just struggling with what type of seating to use in the one section of the room. providing two different layouts. would love your thoughts.
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 11:42AM
PRO
Windsor Decorating and Design
Hi hovep01.

How about trying an arrangement like this? The TV would be viewable from both rooms.

I would suggest putting the TV on a swivel arm that pulls out from the wall and can swivel towards either room. That way it can also tuck back into the wall and look built in when not in use.

Don't mind the finishes in the model - the furnishings were pulled for layout purposes only, not to all go together. Just to show you a possible arrangement! It is to scale to the measurements that you gave with the window and fireplace placements as approximate.

I hope you like it :)
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 12:30PM
hovep01
Windsor - thanks so much! the room looks so polished. appreciate the time you took to pull this together
1 Like   March 3, 2014 at 12:37PM
PRO
Windsor Decorating and Design
You're so welcome hovep01. Glad you like it!
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 12:41PM
decoenthusiaste
I like Windsor's layout except for the sofa that is out in front of the TV. I'd eliminate the two white chairs and do the two sofas in an "L. You can mix the 4-chair grouping with two of the leather ones and two swivel ones that can easily turn to see TV. The chairs in a 4-chair grouping don't have to match and there are lots of swivel glider styles that will go with your leather lounger. Broyhill - Jetton Casual Swivel Glider - 6973-8 Sam Moore Thames Swivel Glider - Edged Mineral
0 Likes   Thanked by hovep01    March 3, 2014 at 12:48PM