Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjunderdahl

House Paint keep one color or add trim

pjunderdahl
10 years ago
It's time to get some wood rot repaired and reprint the house. We live on a creek and I want to keep the look woodsy. Trying to decide if I should keep everything the same color or when they add 4 inch trim around the windows add a different color for all trim like soffits. The windows are a bronze now. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• pjunderdahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the colors of the Edina on Parade. Do you think they would look good with our current roof color? If not if we kept the same brown house color do you have a suggestion for a color for the soffits and 4 in trim we would add around the windows? Would you keep the window frames bronze and what would you do with the garage door? The cement foundation is currently grey, would you paint it to match the house? Thanks
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Hello pjunderdahl,

Edina on Parade is rather green and while your roof color is brown, there is a lot of red in it. You might steer away from the greener shades and keep to the browns, otherwise your house may end up a little Christmas-y. Your trim color could be the same as your house color or one tint lighter, just a tint. I'm not certain of the color of your house, but I am looking at tans like Brick House Tan CW-145 and Monroe Bisque HC-26 both Ben Moore colors for the entire house and trim. If you are looking for slight contrast, slight, between house and trim, then think about Elephant Tusk OC-8 as a contrast for the trim color. Leave the window frames bronze for slight contrast and definition and same with garage door. Unless the concrete has been painted and needs repainting leave it alone. That is opening up a can of worms that you may not want to open up :)
  • pjunderdahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Elizabeth. My husband opts for keeping the trim color the same as the house. He likes that idea a lot. I like idea of the slight contrast but will be satisfied with the definition of the bronze window frames. Our garage door is currently a chocolate brown. Would you recommend changing it to bronze to match the window frames? Our painter is just going to match the house color when he repaints he says it's a stain, looks like paint to me, we've only been in the house a little over a year so I don't know what the color is. He was going to use Sherwin Williams paint as the Benjamin Moore store in town has closed. I hope that's ok. I sure appreciate and value your input. Patty.
  • PRO
    Move Masters
    10 years ago
    Well the total bronze look is not going too well with overall look of the house, it is giving darker look to the house. I believe you should do some experiments to change the overall look. As changing the rooftop color or using contrasting window colors will give the effect that you have in your mind.
  • pjunderdahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jane Jensen Changing the roof color is out since it would be too expensive and it's only about 5 years old. Still has a lot of life in it. What color would you suggest for contrasting window color
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Patty,

You are quite welcome. Nothing wrong at all with SW paint. Take a look at the BMoore website to see the lighter colors to which I was referring prior to your visit to SW. In the event that you like these colors you may be able to match them with a SW color. And I think that Jane has a good point.... when you are at the stage of replacing the roof, which can be costly and perhaps not in your current budget, think about introducing a stronger color there for contrast. The Rustic cabin is as cute as can be and your house could look similar. Best of luck!
    pjunderdahl thanked User