Need help with my front entrance covered concrete porch

Kathy DukesMarch 4, 2014
Removed old indoor/outdoor carpet from covered concrete porch. Placing home on the market and looking for curb appeal reasonably priced. Two story home with light blue vinyl siding, white shutters with a burgundy door. I'm lost on what to cover the front porch with for curb appeal. Can you help me?
Denita
What does the concrete look like now? Is it in bad shape due to the carpeting that was there?
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:51AM
Kathy Dukes
one small crack but lots of old glue
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:54AM
Katie Gooding
I don't think you can really see the concrete from the curb, but it is important for it to look decent when buys come look at it. Of it is in reasonably good shape I would just leave it alone. Or as your real estate agent. With selling a house it can be difficult. If you were going to live in the house I might have all kinda of staining, resurfacing ideas! but for selling it might be a waste of your money. If it's in good shape you probably wouldn't recover the cost of changing it.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 10:55AM
Katie Gooding
Did you try anything to get the old glue off?
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:56AM
Consider staining the concrete. I'd remove the white trim piece that is above the gable window as well as the hedge on the right which is making for an unbalanced feeling and hiding the nice porch trim. How about a lighter more welcoming color on the door? I'd try a nice jonquil yellow, and place some jonquils and tulips in the bed all across the front. You can buy them in pots and bury them, then top with mulch. You can plant them next fall if you haven't sold it by then.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 10:59AM
Kathy Dukes
Thank you so very much. I wanted to stain the concrete too but a paint/stain contractor told me no two pieces of concrete stain the same and with all the glue even if removed, I would probably be unhappy with the results. Love the idea of removing the hedge and planting new plants. Thank you, again.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 11:31AM
Kathy Dukes
No. Tile contractor said not to use any chemicals on the concrete but I could use my shovel and scrape it up. I just haven't had the time yet, but will do. thanks.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 11:35AM
Denita
Kathy, I am a Realtor and I can tell you that the front entry is extremely important. The buyer is looking around the front the entire time the Realtor is opening the front door. That can take a minute or so. Doesn't sound long, but if they see the front concrete looks unkempt, it will make a poor impression. So your decision to scrape up the glue is a good one. What about painting the concrete deck with concrete paint? It will give the buyers a good impression.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 11:52AM
Kathy Dukes
As a Realtor, tell me if it would be better to ceramic tile the concrete and if so what are the best colors for the tile. Thanks.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 12:04PM
Denita
You don't have to go to the expense to ceramic tile your entrance unless it is pretty standard in your area. If you choose to tile it then make sure the tile is textured and meant for outdoor use to prevent slipping in the rain. If you have the opportunity to tile, consider the material carefully. I have seen wood look ceramic tile that would look fabulous on your patio. If the tile is a budget buster -don't do it. Do the painted concrete instead.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 12:37PM
Denita
Here is a wood look tile for the patio deck that would look terrific on your porch. Hover over the photo to see the wood look ceramic tile. Put two chairs with colorful cushions and a small end table. Have a small outdoor carpet under the chairs. The buyers will be charmed right away.

ONE ISLAND - AVENTURA · More Info

You can get a similar result with the painted concrete deck. Use the chairs that are appropriate for your region.
Newport Beach Project · More Info

Renovation: Senoia Farmhouse · More Info

Crisp Architects · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 1:00PM
cfollowell
We removed carpet glued down to concrete during an office renovation. Our maintenance guy rented a floor stripper from Home Depot to do the work. It cost $88.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 1:37PM
rocketjcat
Kathy, Denita's comment about the front entry made me chuckle. I assist a realtor friend occasionally with staging and such, and she was the listing agent for the house next door to me. A showing by another agent was taking place and my job was to see how long they stayed. (Yes, spying basically). The other agent struggled attempting to use the lock box for about 10 minutes. I watched in dismay as the potential buyers had the time to inspect every square inch of front porch, floor, ceiling, posts, light fixtures, flag, mat, cobwebs, bugs, you get the drift. Take the time to scrape off the glue and at least freshly paint it. Maybe really hot water poured on it as you scrape will help loosen it up without chemicals.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 6:10PM
newman1958
Rent a pressure washer to clean the concrete. Try Pressure wash several times. Then look at concrete paint at your local ace hardware store.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 6:29PM
rocketjcat
Ha, I'm in the backwoods of upstate NY. I'm no expert and she just uses me because I have a pretty good eye for stuff. "Staging" is not used much here... its basically how to politely suggest sellers remove the car that's up on blocks from the front lawn. Ha. Most larger cities have real stagers you can google. Good luck!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 6:30PM
DS Tile And Marble
Do not use any chemicals on the concrete if you plan to put down tile , if you are make sure your tiles are frost proof and are set in a frost proof thin set , I also live in upstae new york and have done plenty of outdoor tile work up here but if it is not set right it will pop with frost
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 6:51PM
sstarr93
Trex
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kathy Dukes    March 4, 2014 at 6:55PM
Want to upgrade the looks of my front porch with new door & screen door.
We are ready to buy a new front entrance door and screen...
skydancer15
Need help with my front porch deck project
I am planning a remake of my front porch. I want to...
Chris Courtney
Front entrance renovation
Hello from Finland! Our house is a typical WWII design,...
sweetkeight
Need help designing front entrance porch.
Bought the custom made front door but did not read...
myentrance
Need help on designing a front entrance porch
My house sits up on a hill. Front door currently is...
Catharine Rohrbach
Dining Room Decor Dilemma!
Dining Room Decor Ideas needed! I have a blank wall...
kcisch
Living room hallway
We are wanting to take out the carpet in our upstairs...
Vanessa Nussbaumer
Area rug help!!!
Trying to find a coordinating rug for my open concept...
anicolegw
Help me accessorize my great room!
our artist has finally completed our 8'x3' painting,...
Alana Chernecki
Gazillion photos, what to do?
We just moved into a great new home (posted my kitchen...
Donna Seaman Richman