Paint?!?
billybelldance
So this is my NYC dining room / home office. I need some help I can't decide what to do with the walls. Any color suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It tends to be a darker room and I'd like to brighten it up a bit while still keeping it a warm and cozy space to eat dinner and drink whisky in with friends.

Again, any help is appreciated!

Billy
cheryleenn
Hi Billy
I would paint the walls a lemon yellow.
Regards
Chez
March 8, 2014 at 9:46PM   
studio10001
Warm the walls, and brighten the ceiling. Rough example:
March 8, 2014 at 10:15PM   
studio10001
Those colours translate a bit more wildly than intended, but you get the idea.
March 8, 2014 at 10:27PM   
billybelldance
I'm not sure if painting the ceiling is so much of an option as I think it would look strange since it's open to other rooms as well that might not feel right with a yellow ceiling. I do like the sandy color though! Any other suggestions?
March 11, 2014 at 2:32PM   
laurakdesigns
Benj Moore Plantation Beige is a creamy light warm shade the would give your room some personality.
March 11, 2014 at 3:58PM   
Nancy Searle
I would go with a pale buttery yellow
March 11, 2014 at 4:00PM   
bromstone
navy blue would be great
March 11, 2014 at 7:48PM   
bromstone
And with a more dramatic light fixture
March 11, 2014 at 7:50PM   
bromstone
Me again. The light fixture is very cool but try it in the kitchen, And the drapery treatment is unfinished looking., Try putting 2 panels on each window and pull the back as you have done here. navy blue is wonderful and surprisingly does not make the room look at all dreary or small. Quite the reverse.
March 11, 2014 at 7:56PM   
pamelatyrrell
[houzz=A Ranch Re-dressing Hanover NH] [houzz=West Newton Residence] I think a gold would brighten and warm; it is one of the hardest colors to pick so you would need to sample several in your space (get samples and paint a large piece of poster board and move it around the room to see how it looks in different light). Notice how well these gold/yellow tones go with woods and accent colors… Have fun
March 11, 2014 at 7:58PM   
I think your window treatments are way too heavy for the space. Replace the sheers with shades, hang single panels on the outside end of each window. Choose something lighter, a natural color linen, for example.

The shelving on your back wall is very cool: industrial and open looking. Add to it enough components to store everything in the cabinet you want to be seen and send the cabinet somewhere else to live. In its place put a credenza to store your office stuff and anything else you wish to hide. Above it put a large bright piece of canvas art.
March 11, 2014 at 8:08PM   
pamelatyrrell
I like your industrial light but it looks too small for your table. And the room looks very dark. You could go with something larger, but still industrial that might reflect more light around the room like a cage type pendant http://www.lampsplus.com/products/industrial-style-cage-bronze-double-multi-light-pendant__y0404-w8377.html (watch the video for ideas). Get a dimmer on it in case it's too bright for hanging out drinking whiskey
March 11, 2014 at 8:51PM   
Rosemary Freitas
I would start with the windows. Get rid of the rods and double curtain things. go for a polished smart simple inset window treatment. Cellular or pleated. Then get yourself some art work to go between those windows. Then choose your wall colors. You can use color in a dark room, it is worth it to use a designer or colorist to choose the right ones.. I can see a lightweight pendant light hanging there. eliminate some of the clutter on the shelves and get some light colored items there. Refinish that table if you can't replace it. Try to get that dark stain off of it.
March 12, 2014 at 4:25AM     
newman1958
Your ceilings are low or either your furniture and drapes are hung hig. To give a open airy feeling declutter the tops of the furniture and consider lowering the drapes.
I have done a Ben Moore beige on walls and Ben Moore pale blue on the ceiling. You could keep the blue on ceilings that connect. You could also reversing the two colors.
Since the room is small and you want to keep it a guys scotch drinking room then remove the other collectible a from the room that have nothing to do with the guys coming over.
March 12, 2014 at 4:26AM   
daniellesarah
Hey there may take everything out and start from scratch, I would paint it a nice crisp white and replace the dark cabinetry with maybe some nice white open shelves, add colour with books and accessories , and some nice bright art work, I would also maybe try some blinds that fit in the insert of the the windows and then dress them with some shares for display purposes only (lol) , good luck and I would love to see some"after " pictures!!
March 12, 2014 at 4:49AM   
daniellesarah
Actually forget the sheers keep it clean and simple binds only!
March 12, 2014 at 4:50AM   
samnrjm
try potterybarn.com dining room gallery photos. find a look you like and recreate the look. using the items that you already have in the room. you have some fun pieces. i would suggest you minimize the amount of smaller items. so many can be distracting. the middle space inside of your open shelving unit should have a taller piece of simple wall art...one that would fill most of the space and bring your eyes up to the taller shelf level (maybe a mirror or a picture that brings in your favorite color. then balance the other side. i agree with others about the window treatments. the color seems heavy. take them down while you decorate, then see how much weight to give the opposite side of the room. good luck!
March 12, 2014 at 6:26AM   
Ole Fredrickson & Son
I'd paint the walls Linen white or White dove and super white on the ceiling. Put in pleated off white blinds or roman shades. Bring in color with accessories. Keep it bright - you can always change accessories when you want to change things up.
March 12, 2014 at 6:31AM   
Warner Decor
Hi, Billy! I think the first thing I would do is replace your window treatments with something brighter so that you can get an idea of a color you may like to paint the walls, while still brightening up the room. Here are a few options for you. To purchase any of these items or see others, just click the orange buy product button, and it will take you to the page:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/jute-angeline-curtain/ (masculine but still brings color in)
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/taupe-accacia-curtains-54inwx108inl/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/fresco-print-jute-curtain-48inx108in/ (my personal favorite!)

Hope this helps!
March 12, 2014 at 6:33AM   
whitebranchstudios
First thing I saw was the small size of the light fixture. There needs to be a larger fixture with some presence. And I agree with the others about the window dressing. For an industrial style room, these don't fit in plus they don't do much for the window. I would do a pleated shade (not too $$ if you go to a home builders store) maybe in a dark brown with side panels of a midtone neutral. But not if you paint the walls navy! I agree with Mr. Navy, I have a room painted yacht club blue and it is a small room but you don't see the edges of the room when the walls are dark and the room has a great look. I would start with the wall color and go from there, fixture, window shades. Good luck!
March 12, 2014 at 6:37AM   
designworksarch
Your room has very expressive elements in it (shelving, light fixture) so I would concentrate on simplifying the surfaces, not to compete with color, so I would keep the color neutral, white or linen, depending on other finishes. I agree with other suggestions to get rid of the window treatment and go with something simple, plain,'whittish' and inset, so the window sills can be used for display (i.e. glass) and add some space into the room. A great advice is to add a good piece of artwork for the spot between windows. If the character of the room is established by the light future and shelving, then I would work with a different table/chairs combination to align character better; perhaps something from Restoration Hardware. I would suggest to work with a square or round table, more comfortable chairs for a more casual, 'clubby' feel. A square table may work well rotated 45 deg. A rug with a corresponding shape for a complete look.
March 12, 2014 at 11:10AM   
Corrugated Wainscotting - Love it or Hate it?
The walls in the corridor of my Californian bungalow...
How should I divide this studio?
I just got this studio apartment and was wondering...
Hallway Door
I have just installed 6panel interior slab doors for...
Fireplace mantle advice
Hi there, I am trying to finalise my corner fireplace...