Is it a bad idea to paint wood clad windows?
Kelly Lawler
I have Anderson windows, which I believe are called wood clad windows (wood on inside, vinyl on outside). I would love to paint them as well as the vertical grain fir trim white, as I prefer that look. Most people I mention this to think it is a crime to paint wood windows. Any thoughts or suggestions, including the type of paint/process for painting would be greatly appreciated.
Rockin' Fine Finish
could you post a picture I don't think it's a crime because if you had ordered painted windows from the factory they would've painted the wood clad
March 9, 2014 at 4:51PM      Thanked by Kelly Lawler
Kelly Lawler
I actually can't (at least not right now) because it is a home I have just purchased and don't live in same town! The contractor needs my decision. I think I am going to paint, but do you have suggestions for what type of primer and paint would be best? I am most nervous about any sticking of the paint on moving parts. Thanks so much.
March 14, 2014 at 2:08PM   
zmhome
It's a crime to live with something you dont like!
March 14, 2014 at 4:26PM      Thanked by Kelly Lawler
Rockin' Fine Finish
it really depends on the style of window what are the moving parts? can they be masked ? a oil base primer like Benjamin moores fresh start primer would be a good choice
March 14, 2014 at 8:04PM      Thanked by Kelly Lawler
Kelly Lawler
There are a few different styles. Some are large and fixed, some are sliding, and I think there also some double hung. The house was built in the 90's, and I think all the moving parts you don't see are vinyl, which would make it easier. Thanks for the primer suggestion. I will be sure to do that. Any ideas for type of paint? I really appreciate your input.
March 15, 2014 at 9:32AM   
Need help on open kitchen and living area.
Need suggestions on kitchen, living room and dining...
boring brick house front
Our new house is a 70's box with red brick and one...
Pergola covering quandary
We recently installed a pergola. There are no mature...
Create modern exterior
Hi there, we are planning a major remodel of our 1930's...