Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxi123

Still undecided on backsplash

jaxi123
10 years ago
Glass tile or Subway. Add an accent piece or not??

Comments (73)

• PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    I'm really liking the glass subway tile in the last picture...no accent...the small mosaic pattern is way too busy with that granite.
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    The white glass tile is a great choice. We also have them at glasstilestore.com
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lia, how did your tile turn out?
  • janicedonato
    10 years ago
    I agree with feeny. I think the white glass is too stark with your granite. Hard to judge in a picture though. Maybe it blends better in person.
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What looks taupe or tan in the pics is a dark tan that just does not do anything. Out of over 30 pcs I brought home, my tile guy said the white glass and the right color grout should work. Still would like to find a light blue grey tile before making the purchase of tile. Is $11 sq ft a good price for 2 x 6 glass tile?
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can you post a pic of what ivory would look like?
  • Anna Balso
    10 years ago
    I don't know how.... I understand your dilemma, choosing the backsplash is hard cause it can really change the look and feel of your kitchen... But i would definitely not do contrasting grout. Not with the granite you have. Maym have....
  • Anna Balso
    10 years ago
    Maybe someone else can... Or pick up a larger quantity and stack them to cover a larger area. This helped me a lot... Once you have narrowed your choices to 2-3
  • ericafunnn
    10 years ago
    Glass subway rules definitely
  • ericafunnn
    10 years ago
    *tiles
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    the larger glass tiles are nice, not in stark white though. The greenish or greyish is better. You can tell the color better than us on computers. Try a stacked pattern rather than subway style, It is a cleaner look. Be sure to use a matching or slightly darker grout. Nothing with contrast. You won't like it later. Your granite is beautiful. Should go well nicely. here is my glass tile I did in the fall.. Be sure they clean the grout haze thoroughly before paying the balance. the glass tiles scratch easily so best to look at them yourself if someone else is installing them. they are awful to pull out to change later- trust me on this.
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What color grout is suggested
  • Mena
    10 years ago
    Omg it looks exactly like the granite i have in my kitchen...is it delicatus white?its been months and i am undecided on the backsplash still.Please do post a picture after you are done.it would help me a lot .lolot..also what is your xsbinet
  • Mena
    10 years ago
    Just wanted to ask what is your cabinet color like..that also is important in deciding which backsplash to choose.I think it woild be good to choose one that is solid bacause the granite is so beautiful.
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cabinets are white.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Your cabinets look off-white rather than bright white, and the glass subway tiles held up against them in that final picture you just posted are much too bright a white in comparison. If you want to use white subway tiles, make sure the white is not brighter than your cabinetry. Otherwise it has the potential to make your cabinets look too yellow in contrast.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    10 years ago
    Looking at sunnydrew's image, I'm thinking they are too big. Unless your kitchen is at least 30 l.f. I'd go with a smaller tile, say 1 1/2" high. You can experiment with stacked or running bond layout. Both have their advantages depending on whether you want more structure or less. For "beachy" I think running bond might be better.
  • Jim Mack
    10 years ago
    I just did my backsplash in white subway tiles and I have white cabinets with a dark granite counter. I think that you want your granite to be the focal point and you don't want the backsplash to detract from it. Additionally, I think white subway is classic where glass tile is trendy and may be outdated in a few years.
  • Anna Balso
    10 years ago
    Your granite is very different than hers
  • PRO
    Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
    10 years ago
    Color is nice but the white subway is timeless. You really cant go wrong ether way.
  • Lia
    10 years ago
    Jaxi123 i haven't done it yet. I got some samples yesterday- im trying to decide between white ceramic or white glass. White grout or warm gray grout. Its been hard to choose the right one. Are your cabinets white or creamy white?
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is pearl from Robert Henry tiles. Like it, but still looking for the right light grey.
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does anyone know where I can find this glass tile in a subway size or 2 x 6 or 2 x 8?
    This tile goes great with the granite.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I like the greyish subway tile it goes nice with the counter tops and I feel that the mosaic tile would end up being to busy the granite
    If you use the greyish tile rather then the ivory tile a white dish set would not clash good luck with your choice
  • sunfl236
    10 years ago
    Glass subway, please! The mosaic, unfortunately, looks like a Home Depot special of the week.
  • Karin Madgwick
    10 years ago
    I agree with seamuss771 you want your granite to be the feature so match the subway tiles to your cabinet colour. The glass will reflact not reflect that is bounce the light and give a bit more dimension to your room.
  • Karin Madgwick
    10 years ago
    Sorry that was seamus711.
  • PRO
    Urbana Kitchens ~ Ellen Crystal ~ Designer
    10 years ago
    keep in mind glass is difficult to cut & install. If you have a pro.... go for it. Ceramic is much more user friendly & your kitchen more traditional. Ceramic will stand the test of time
  • PRO
    Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Hi jaxi123,
    Your granite counter top is beautiful with nice veins and texture. It would be great if the granite counter top takes center stage.

As the counter top is grey basically with beige texture and the cabinets are white, there are three basic color, grey, beige and white in the kitchen. How can these three colors match each other well? I like the white subway glass tile, because there are grey and beige in the counter top, and a white kitchen will be a nice background for the granite counter top.

By the way, do you like white mother of pearl tile? I am attaching below photo for your reference. It is also a grey counter top but light grey than yours. It takes center stage under the background of shinning white mother of pearl tile.

I am also attaching a mother of pearl tile of our company. If you like it, pls feel free to ask me :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi jaxi123,
    Your granite counter top is beautiful with nice veins and texture. It would be great if the granite counter top takes center stage.

As the counter top is grey basically with beige texture and the cabinets are white, there are three basic color, grey, beige and white in the kitchen. How can these three colors match each other well? I like the white subway glass tile, because there are grey and beige in the counter top, and a white kitchen will be a nice background for the granite counter top.

By the way, do you like white mother of pearl tile? I am attaching below photo for your reference. It is also a grey counter top but light grey than yours. It takes center stage under the background of shinning white mother of pearl tile.

I am also attaching a mother of pearl tile of our company. If you like it, pls feel free to ask me :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like Lia's beige backsplash photo last Wednesday. It looks like beige travertine. I think I would be harmony when it goes with jaxi123's grey counter top with beige veins.
  • jefferym
    10 years ago
    My wife and I struggled with this same issue. We liked the trendy glass tile look but also wanted traditional material that would perhaps outlive the glass tile trend. We opted for a touch of both hoping the true attention would be directed toward the counter top. We chose to use traditional subway tile with an accent strip of round glass tiles. But my favorite part of our kitchen project was actually the under cabinet lighting which really put the spotlight on both the counter and backsplash
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Last week I thought ice white glass was the way to go but so many people said NO.
    A decoroator is trying to talk me into Pearl from a Wholesaler she knows. I also like the bluish grey from the Tile Shop but it only comes in 4 x 8 and I need smaller.
    Too many decisions to make.
    It will be down to white subway tile, Pearl Subway, or a Medium Bluish Grey if I can find the right size.
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Who is a good source to order sample tiles from?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi jaxi123, I would like to introduce you attached mother of pearl tile? One is in square shape and the other is in subway tile. Do you like it?

Our company supplies the two mother of pearl tile, if you are interested in them, welcome to order sample tiles. Below size info for you reference:
    1. mosaic chip in square shape:
    Sheet size: 321*321mm, which is 12.63’’ x 12.63’’
    Thickness: 2mm
    Chip Size: 20mm x 20mm

2. mosaic chip in subway tile:
    Mosaic chip Size: 10*20mm
    Sheet size: 300*300mm, which is 11.8’’ x 11.8’’

I am Cobby. If there is any questions, pls feel free to ask me. I would be glad to help.
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like these.
    But I think 2 x 6 square tile would look best in my kit
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    2 x 6 square tile is a good size. Hope you will find the lovely tile very soon.
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Smoke glass is the choice
  • Sheri
    9 years ago
    That was my favorite of what you posted. Be sure to update with a picture when you are finished with it!
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally FINISHED. Smoke glass looks awesome.
  • Sheri
    9 years ago
    Looks really nice! I like your choice of granite and the glass tile looks elegant and not too busy.
  • Mena
    9 years ago
    Looks ekegant.Nicely done.
  • Lia
    9 years ago
    Jaxi123- I am so happy for you! It looks great!!!
  • PRO
    Cure Design Group
    9 years ago
    I was going to suggest the gray subway then I looked a few posts above and saw that you did it! Looks great!
  • PRO
    Kerri Hallman, Innovative Designs
    9 years ago
    Nice to see the completed project. Looks good. If you haven't done so remember to seal the grout, very important in a kitchen. Enjoy your space!!!
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Power grout was used so no
    Sealing required
  • PRO
    Kerri Hallman, Innovative Designs
    9 years ago
    Smart route to go. Cheers.
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    Your glass tile choice was perfect. Great look!
  • PRO
    Cure Design Group
    9 years ago
    Love the plain one! Good job!