Need Paint Color Suggestions
wheaton15
Would like to change the color scheme in our family room. Currently walls are a beige that have a bit of a pink hue to them (BM1002). Wood work is honey oak, leather couch is navy, there are two chairs that are a aubergene or light eggplant color. The window treatment has a top layer of blue with beige, navy accent; bottom layer is a tawny pink. The family room opens to kitchen (pictures to follow) that has a similar color scheme. Honey oak cabinets, white appliances and ceramic back splash with white tiles that have accent tiles with the navy and tawny color. Above the cabinets is painted Pittsburg tawny mushroom. There is a faux finished wall between the two rooms.

What color for main walls? Above the fire place? Keep kitchen as is? Change faux wall?

Thanks.
wheaton15
Here are the other areas
March 9, 2014 at 5:30PM   
OasisDesign&Remodeling
First of all, I love the mirror over the FP, the walking stick, & the tree sculpture!!! Clearly you have a love of nature...& clearly you need to update around those items. my question is...how MUCH are you willing to do to update??? I have somewhat inexpensive suggestions, but I don't want to step on your toes. If it were me, I'd paint the walls dark gray & paint the bookcases, mantle & rail spindles white. And while everything's off the walls to paint, I'd update the wall decor & window treatments. I'd consider light colored woven wood blinds for the patio door, & relocate the family pictures & other decor. Perhaps use the tree sculpture to the right of the FP. I am also concerned about your lighting situation...I see no lamps. I would suggest a couple swing arm lamps...one to the left of the sofa for sure. Are new tables an option???
March 9, 2014 at 5:49PM     
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Check out SW 7066 Gray Matters. If that's too dark for your taste, try 7065 or 7064.
March 9, 2014 at 5:53PM   
libratravel
I agree with the previous poster. I would consider painting the walls a darker, warmer gray...consider BM Smoke Embers or Willow creek. I would even go so far to recommend painting everything else, even the cabinets BM White Dove. You could add some amazing fabric, pillows and a rug and you would completely transform the space.
March 9, 2014 at 6:11PM     
wheaton15
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of painting the woodwork! What are your suggestions for the feature wall (the one with the tree) and the kitchen? Same gray?

Thanks
March 9, 2014 at 6:15PM   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Because your upholstery is on the dark side, paint the walls a lighter gray. In the kitchen, use an even lighter gray since the desk area looks pretty dark already.

Paint all of the trim, railing and kitchen cabinets off white. This will cause your appliances to melt into the walls and make the space feel larger. The colors of your upholstery will look fresh when not surrounded by the honey oak woodwork.

You might look for new, stronger artwork and area rug.
March 9, 2014 at 6:34PM     
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I also would paint the cabs, just don't know how far the homeowner's willing to go. I'd actually like to see iron spindles instead of everything being painted wood, if that's where we're going. I soooo agree that there's way too much oak. If you have a good stopping place between the kitchen & FR, I'd do lighter gray in the kitchen & darker gray in the FR.
March 9, 2014 at 6:50PM   
wheaton15
Not willing to paint the kitchen cabs at this point, so would you change out the wood spindles and keep the rest of the railing? Also, what about the faux wall. Enjoying the suggestions! Thanks
March 9, 2014 at 6:55PM   
wheaton15
Any other suggestions besides grey?
March 10, 2014 at 4:08PM   
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Given the gray tones in the FP, navy sofa & burgandy-ish chairs, I think gray is best. It IS THE color of the moment, so I'm not recommending it just for the current fashion, but also in consideration of surrounding features & furnishings. If you're considering new furnishings, that would open up your options.
March 12, 2014 at 10:10AM   
Natalie
Hi---MINK by Sherwin Williams. Paint the faux wall too. Kitchen cabs can wait, but I do agree with the previous posts, white would be a huge improvement. Good Luck!
]
March 12, 2014 at 10:20AM   
pheasant44
I'm going thru this right now. Close to completion - big job.
Painting my cabinets made a remarkable difference.
I also suggest painting the cabinets, railings, all wood trim etc... in a white (i.e White Dove BM ) and def. include the fireplace! Consider Revere Pewter by BM for the walls - a soft, lighter Gray with warm undertones and it has some character and depth, - or.... something like Ink Black by BM. I tested/sampled 23 colors directly on my walls since they always appear different than the swatch or photo you find. It's important to know that painting the cabinets would prob. require removing the doors, a coat of primer followed by 2 or 3 coats of the color. Not cheap but would really be worth it !
March 12, 2014 at 8:05PM     
wheaton15
Alright, picked paint colors....sort-of along the grey-greige tones. BM revere pewter for in the kitchen, leaving cabinets as is but replacing handles with brushed nickel. Eventually new countertop. Above the fire place is Grege by Rona. The rest of the walls designer grey by CIL. Tree wall Perlatino by Rona. Should be painted next week. Can't wait to see the change!
April 15, 2014 at 6:11PM     
wheaton15
Latest update: rooms are painted. New curtains, different coffee table, end table & lamp, new picture...still meds to be hung.
June 10, 2014 at 9:00AM   
Warner Decor
Looking Good! I also found these items that you may like:
http://deciture.com/nature-s-wood-metal-candle-sconce/
http://deciture.com/the-exceptional-set-of-3-metal-tree-hurricane/

Hope this helps you!
June 10, 2014 at 9:39AM     
blrussell
If you are keeping the track lights you might want to replace with smaller lamps.
I like the new wall color.
June 10, 2014 at 9:47AM     
wheaton15
@ blrussell hoping to change the whole track light out, but need to make sure the ceiling is ok underneath, (popcorn not squished)
June 10, 2014 at 10:23AM   
wheaton15
Brass light fixture gone......updated one in it's place :)
June 16, 2014 at 4:33PM   
You're on a roll! I think the art propped above the sofa is a bit pale and will fade out too much. if you can't return it try a frame to give it some presence. I'd lower the mirror to 5" above the mantel. See how it is closer to the ceiling than to the "furniture" it is supposed to relate to.
June 16, 2014 at 4:44PM     
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Very nice paint colors. I agree with decoenthusiast re: the artwork over the sofa and lowering the mirror over the mantel. The artwork needs to be stronger meaning more contrast in the images. It also could be larger since it is holding up that end of the room.

A larger table lamp would help to bulk up the corner by the sofa. Something gourd, colmn,or ball shaped in a finish that relates to the mirror and/or artwork - metal, pottery or a clear, colored glass. Use a natural or dark shade because white shades tend to be glary. If the sofa is a reading spot, consider that too.
June 16, 2014 at 5:39PM     
wheaton15
Sandy, I live the second lamp, any idea of the make or where it is from?
June 16, 2014 at 6:14PM     
Metal Mosaics Art by John Darovitz
I would possibly consider painting the fireplace bricks…you would be amazed on how rich that would look..
June 16, 2014 at 6:17PM   
Need suggestions on paint colors.
I'm remodeling my house. It was built 20 years ago...
Help! Need paint color suggestions!
This is a rental property and I need to repaint the...
need a paint color suggestion for my master bedroom
attached is the colors in my comforter all other colors...
Need suggestions for paint colors
This is our new home, I need to bring some color in...
Screening/Hiding unsightly area ideas pls!
I'd like to hide these unsightly electrical boxes....
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Curb appeal
Mid-seventies Contemporary Deck House with split foyer...
Wall decor delima
Hi I have a wall in my family room which I am not sure...