Furniture arrangement in great room
michers71
This is a listing photo of our new home. We are getting all new furniture for this room. What would you suggest? Sectional? Couch? Love seat? Wing chairs? I'm undecided. Windows on both sides. We are empty nesters but love to entertain. Also would you put tv above mantel? Thanks. Any suggestions welcome.
michers71
Open to kitchen
March 9, 2014 at 8:29pm   
Keepsake Design
You have several option combinations which will work.
Three piece sectional plus 2 comfortable chars, plus two lighter upholstered chairs (which can move into action when additional seating is needed). Flank the two chairs on the front window wall. Make sure the middle or corner piece of the sectional has leg frontage. (Ability for a person sitting in the corner able to put their feet in the floor).
March 10, 2014 at 2:48am     
2dogssashatess
no to tv above the mantle, it is not ergonomic.
March 10, 2014 at 3:07am     
Thos. Baker
Congratulations on your lovely new home. I would leave the TV where it is in the photo and not locate it above the fireplace for two reasons: The space above the mantle is pretty high up (at least it appears so in the photo) and I believe it would be hard on the eyes looking that far upward. Also, I think the fireplace is too beautiful for a TV -- it really should have an exquisite piece of art.

I would recommend placing the TV on a console, cabinet, bookshelf, entertainment center off to the side of the fireplace and using a wonderful sectional sofa for creating your new living space.

The photos I've posted are ideas for configurating furniture for entertaining, as well as design ideas that might come in handy. I posted the bottom photo to show how a large piece of furniture would appear if it were placed on the side of the fireplace and used as an entertainment center.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
March 10, 2014 at 3:37am     
Keepsake Design
I agree on the fireplace mantel is too high to hang a TV. Fantastic art is the way to go!
March 10, 2014 at 5:54am     
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
Totally agree with not placing tv over fireplace. For me, I see tv & fireplace in two opposite roles - TV is about action, noise, whereas fireplace is about peace, tranquility & ambiance.

If you enjoy entertaining, then best to place tv in armoire so it can be closed off when not being viewed by you & your guests.

I would be very tempted to have built in window seat in front of windows, which could have storage inside and FAB material on cushions
March 10, 2014 at 7:27am     
michers71
Any recommendations on armoire or what to put tv on & where? I was thinking to the right of FP but not sure what to put it on/in. To "balance" room and FP was thinking left corner with large plants. Thoughts?
March 11, 2014 at 10:17am   
michers71
I love the blue furniture and chairs in suggested post...where can I buy these??
March 11, 2014 at 10:21am     
Thos. Baker
michers71 -- the photo with the blue furniture is based on design ideas to help you create a room that is similar. However, the sofa appears to be "Sophie" by John Lawton and can be purchased on www.realsimple.com.

After finding a light blue sofa that you love, you can create your color scheme in keeping with the photo. Some soft brown stripes, whites, beige and lighter tones to compliment the sofa. I'm posting a photo of a throw pillow that would work nicely with a light blue sofa. It is a throw from our collection at Thosbaker.com

If you decide to go with the light blue color scheme, I would recommend a TV console in white, beige or perhaps, even light blue since you have dark beige walls. The blue console and identical hardwood console are called "Fiona" and can be found at redfordhouse.com.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
March 11, 2014 at 2:51pm     
redcosco
You will need neck braces if you place the TV above the mantel. As it is, I bet you have a lot of glare on the screen. Consider an armoire with two doors that open, so that you can adjust the doors for glare during the day and push them completely open at night and that has a pull-out tray that swivels. This room seems to be the one for watching TV. So start with where you want to sit while watching and put the room together from there. Maybe built-ins on either side of the FP to balance that feature? A central seating area in front of the FP and other seating groupings in front of each window to provide different destinations in the room would work.
March 11, 2014 at 3:01pm     
reed5
I love Sharon's comments above. I do not care for a TV over a beautiful fireplace. It takes away from the room. I like a TV out of site when not in use. Sectional sofas can make a room feel small. It depends on the size of your room. Good luck with your project.
March 12, 2014 at 5:06am   
67domer
Cassie, are you an abstract artist? You must be, because you suggest abstract art for every room shown. Doesn't work for everyone!
March 12, 2014 at 5:13am     
michers71
I think TV will definitely be to the right of mantel. I really appreciate the suggestions mad would like some abstract suggestions. Please and thank you.
March 12, 2014 at 6:15am     
Jean Stryker
I agree with no TV over the mantel, not just because of the viewing angle, but also because the vertical elements going up from the mantel dictate the size of the TV, which in my opinion would be microscopic. Consider putting the TV to the right of the fireplace on a console, and put a sectional, not the corner kind but one with a chaise, in front of that, and then a couple of chairs just to the left of the fireplace to face out the window toward the TV side. A coffee table in front of the sectional, and an end table between the chairs, and you're there. Leave enough space between the chair and the sectional so you can get in there.
March 12, 2014 at 6:31am     
March 12, 2014 at 7:05am     
Shakúff
Thos. Baker has the right idea. A sectional would look fantastic, and I agree with keeping the tv away from the fireplace.

You have a beautiful home!
March 12, 2014 at 8:09am     
michers71
Thanks for the great ideas!!!! I like the idea of abstract however will get the furniture first and go from there. Perhaps art on the wall to the left of the FP. Really like wing chairs as well. Guess I will be shopping in the next few weeks !!
March 12, 2014 at 8:16am   
Thos. Baker
michers71 -- it would be best to put your art directly above the fireplace mantle, as opposed to the left. If you don't want to hang it, then it can sit on the mantle (as in the photo), which also works beautifully. You may even consider a tall, rectangular piece that's vertical, as opposed to a piece that's short and square (as in the photo).

If you like abstracts, I'm posting photos of art that would work well with a light blue color scheme -- should you decide to go with a sofa in that shade. Have fun shopping!

Top left: White & Blue Flowers - Davina Micholas
Top right: Morning Thunder - Ora Birenbaum
Bottom left: Marilyn Lamoreaux
Bottom right: Blue Abstract - Michele Morata

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
March 12, 2014 at 11:49am     
fos5
Your fireplace mantle and over mantle is very historic. The art sitting on the mantle now is way too small. These overmantles were designed for a large mirror, art or mural, to practically fill that space. No to TV over mantle, out of scale for that space, on a sleek console nest to fireplace would work. The fireplace is the focal point so all furnishings should compliment it. What style of soft furnishings do you like? Nice room.
March 12, 2014 at 12:54pm   
michers71
I want something inviting. There is also a formal living room to the right of the entrance and I am making it less formal with a chocolate brown leather couch, 2 wing chairs and making it more of a reading room. Not overly concerned about main tv room there as we also have a theater room. TV in great room more or less for music, cooking shows etc to be viewed from kitchen or while people relax while entertaining. I'm open to all suggestions but am not a fancy or formal kind of decor person. I really appreciate all the input!
March 12, 2014 at 1:00pm   
Well, I may have to agree with some of Cassie's diatribe on abstract art. It would work here. The FP is magnificent but the only thing in the space that is tracking as classical. Give some relief and a relaxed feeling with an abstract FP screen and art. Then place two sofas perpendicular to it with a round glass and metal coffee table centered on the FP. Place the sofas 18" from it and keep it within the footprint of the firebox. Use a backless settee in front of one of the windows. Use a small coffee table with it. At the other window angle a pair of armless accent chairs with an accent table between them. You should have plenty of space and seating for entertaining. If you want TV in this space, I'd install a lift system at the kitchen bar. It should raise above the countertop and swivel to be seen by the cook for recipes and by the guests when desired. Otherwise, it will be out of sight. As for flanking the FP, try a matching pair or large scale credenzas and more abstract art.
Master Bedroom by Heather Hillard Design Country Home - 02 Tarrytown remodel Indigo
March 12, 2014 at 1:33pm     
fos5
Choosing art is a very personal thing. You have to love it to buy it. The object of purchasing a piece is you will view it every day because you like it. It should speak to you. If you are purchasing a piece for a special location in your home make sure it is not too small or too large for the space. Enjoy
March 12, 2014 at 3:42pm     
Thos. Baker
Good luck in your new home! Post photos when you've put it all together.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
March 13, 2014 at 1:25pm     
Help with Family Room/Great Room- furniture arrangment
I'm having a difficult time trying to arrange the furniture...
need help arranging furniture in our new great room
We are designing our new home and the great room is...
How to arrange furniture in this great room
Our kitchen/family room is long but not that wide....
How to achieve a classic/ elegant/ chic decor ( key pieces)
Please, help me to decor/ furnish my living room.
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
I need HELP decorating my tiny family room !!!!
Hi there! I need your help, your expert opinion on...
Espresso Shaker Cabinets: Bianco Romano or Kashmir White?
Hi I am putting up Oak dark espresso shaker cabinets...