Redesign/update dated kitchen
annhamzeMarch 10, 2014
I want to remodel my kitchen and perhaps open it to the tv/family room where the adjoining space has about 4' of unused space. The house is valued at $140,000 in a neighborhood of comparable homes. I don't want to spend so much I cannot recoup in resell value perhaps I. 10-15 years. I need ideas and advice as how to reconfigure the space. I certainly need more counter space as I cook and bake most of my meals at home. Background info: 1960s house with no structural updates, but the addition of new windows. Now to the inefficient and dated kitchen. One one end is a shuttered laundry area and a deep pantry. Nearby is the door to the deck. The ceiling is plaster swirls, floor is vinyl leading to a hardwood floor in the adjoining family room. There is a formal dining room as well. The length of the existing area is 20.5 including the partition that houses the 27" oven and gas cooktop. The width is only 9' for most of the kitchen. It deepens an additional 34 inches to accommodate the refrigerate and passage to the adjoining room.
annhamze
In the second photo you see the door to the garage and further past the refrigerator the door to the dining room, both on the right of the photo.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 8:58AM
Macik Custom Woodworking & Contracting, LLC
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 9:00AM
annhamze
HELP! I got a contractor who submitted a bid of about $31,000 to relocate the wall oven to near the fridge, Move the peninsular about 2 feet into the adjoining room and extend it a foot for counter level eating. Above the cooktop/counter eating area he would install the hood and two 15" deep glass fronted cAbinets suspended from the ceiling on each side of the hood. These cabinets would open from the kitchen and the opposite sides.The 2nd window would be replaced with a shorter window to allow about another 4 feet of cabinets. He insists that granite is the only option and will not consider a mix of S/S, granite, and butcher block in different areas.Also included are hardwood floors and covering the ceilings in the two room to create a uniform smooth surface ceiling. This contractor will not give me any breakdown of the costs. Is this routine?
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 10:21PM
lucidos
All that for a 140K home? I think you need to really decide what you want in stages heading toward a final goal.

Think what bothers you most in there and how you can resolve it. If you need more work space perhaps resolve that with a worktable that can double as seating.

Consider relocating your laundry. If you have an attached garage and live in an area that doesn't get to cold maybe it can go in there. That will give you space to relocate the fridge and allow a much needed drop area where the fridge currently is.

Also fine tune your requests and always get 3 estimates.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 10:56PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
You don't want to work with this bully........He won't let you mix granite and butcher block and he won't break down his prices. He is obviously a bully and possibly not entirely honest......................

Find someone who will break down his prices and who will work with your choices of materials.............

You might be better off going with an architect or a kitchen designer who has contractors that they work with who you can trust to be fair. Most likely you will re-coup the money that you spent for the designer in construction costs and / or minimal headaches and cost overruns by an unscrupulous contractor.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 11:00PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I agree with lucidos about selecting very carefully what you do with your design. You don't want to over spend for the value of the house and the neighborhood. Figure out what you should be spending. Take your design thoughts and your budget to the architect / kitchen designer and let them help you figure out your priorities.......
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 11:02PM
brickln
If the current home value is in line with the neighborhood and you're concerned about resale, I wouldn't make structural changes, especially with an original floorplan. I would be inclined to relocate the laundry and use that space and the pantry to enlarge the kitchen. Perhaps place the stove/baking area on that side and the fridge where the wall oven is now. The separation will allow you to use different cabinetry and counters that blend rather than match.
If you need one, the pantry could be relocated to where the fridge is now so the appliances aren't viewed from the living area. Would also cut down on cabinetry costs. And I agree with Lampert- don't use a contractor that can't flex.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 3:57AM
Need help to redesign my living/dining/kitchen all in one room!
Hi there, I live in a 1 bed flat in London, I love...
alexb2013
Kitchen redesign help please!
I am in the process of picking granite, painting cabinets,...
sbak24
Need help to redesign bathroom long and narrow
This bathroom is very dated 1953 its long and narrow...
veronicalee
kimwulrich
Kitchen design/redesign/update/remodel
At this point, I am looking for someone who does design...
iamwoofgang
Need help with cabinets over the island
HI: We want to put some cabinets over the island -...
suetutko
need help with bathroom vanity
bathroom is small 5 by 7
georgetown4
Kitchen Triangle/No Window over Sink Possible
OK, I know this is an epistle: I have a 15' x 15' kitchen...
dnamama
Thank you for helping me with my kitchen
We just purchased this home and I would love to update...
missreneerow
Ideas for an unusual window seat in the master bedroom
We are updating our master bedroom by adding some more...
pauline39