Have serious Dilemma. NEED serious help with family room & kitchen

paadoggiMarch 10, 2014
So please see the pictures below. That's what the kitchen and family room used to look like. The last few pictures shows the current state.

I need ideas on how to design both rooms so they flow and look clean. we're shooting for the modern look. Please bear in mind we have a 2 year old runner with us. Thanks so much. Very opened to suggestions.

**We will be mounting a 60" led tv over the fireplace

Specific ideas/details will be greatly appreciated. Love Houzzz!
paadoggi
Here is a more recent picture of the kitchen all finished. The red chairs see are the breakfast chairs (4 with glass round table)
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 2:15PM
Ann
Well, if you're keeping the red wall, might as well get a few nice red kitchen accessories. A rug would be nice in the living area.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 2:25PM
paadoggi
We plan on getting a few red kitChen accessories but we dont want to go overboard on it. We'll definitely need a rug especially because of our son.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 2:32PM
Ann
A couple rug possibilities.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 2:42PM
sage0807
For the family room, definitely a rug - i like the second one that Ann posted. Do you have end tables and lamps? I think storage benches turned window seats under the two windows with baskets to store toys and coordinating cushion/pillows to make it comfy would be nice and useful.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:01PM
paadoggi
Sage0807,

I love Ann's second rug. Ann do you know where I can get it?

Sage0800 - we've yet to get lamp or any accessories. I really like your idea, we ll definitely do that. Do you have any accessories suggestion?
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:13PM
Ann
For some reason I couldn't copy the link for the rug - but it's from rugsusa.com. It's called the "Savanna Maze Red Rug". If you look at the close up pic on the website, it looks like the red would be very good for your room. You'd definitely need the biggest size (just under 8x10) and it's on a 50% sale right now so it's $300 and I think free shipping. It's a nice 100% wool flatweave so you'd for sure need a rug pad under it (one of those thicker rug pads). You can order a pad at the same time from the same screen.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 3:26PM
mjjk
Your kitchen looks great! I know you didn't ask this, and it may not be in the budget, but did you ever consider changing out your island counter top with something totally different?

You could add back the warmth that the wood offered by going with a butcher block top. In the middle of our white kitchen remodel, I temporarily put the butcher block bistro tabletop we had made on top of our island under construction. And I loved how it looked with the white cabinets.

We eventually had granite counters installed there, but I liked the butcher block look just as much.

I think it would look nice in your space and balance your warm red wall on the opposite end of the space.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 3:26PM
Ann
So for kitchen accessories, you don't need much. Maybe these two "Le Creuset" things. The tea kettle would be nice sitting on the stovetop since it would be very visible from the living area. I grabbed pics of two of the more modern Le Creuset tea kettle styles. These can be purchased easily online or maybe somewhere like bed, bath and beyond. Just do a google search for "le creuset red" and you'll get all sorts of options. I just think you need a couple red kitchen items because you definitely don't want a cluttered kitchen.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 3:37PM
housegal200
Ann's red and white rug is a knockout! There are lot of things you could do with that. I would build/buy floor to ceiling backless white wall-to-wall bookcases/shelves/ cabinets to put against the red wall. Or just a long row of white Ikea low Expedit shelves against the red wall with a large painting above it. Consider a more updated chandelier. People on Houzz always suggests incredible ones.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:43PM
Ann
I love that red and white rug for the space too, but I should point out that wool flat weaves don't tend to be the softest rugs. They're very popular right now and last forever, but they can almost have a bit of a scratchy feel. Just want to make sure you know that since you have a little one. I use them in my house because I love them, but some of my older style rugs are definitely softer. I'd probably go for it if I were you, but I just wanted to make sure you didn't order something and end up surprised.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:51PM
MantelsDirect.com
A fireplace shelf would look great below where you mount the tv and would be a good way to break up the space / showoff some pics of the fam. It's also ideal for updating seasonally with floral accents, vases, touches of spring.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:58PM
sage0807
If you don't have a coffee table already, what about a fabric/leather/faux leather square storage ottoman? Not necessarily this one, but something along these lines: http://www.wayfair.com/Home-Loft-Concept-Calabasas-Storage-Ottoman-X0394430-NFN1488.html
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 4:43PM
sage0807
If your sofa is leather, go with a fabric covered storage ottoman, solid color (not red) and tie that color in with the pillows on the couch =)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 4:44PM
flair lighting
kill that light fixture that is for the nook area....it will forever be the "what is wrong with this room", piece!!! Seems like you lean modern contemporary, and i love the red wall! I think you may want to add some trim, stone tile work and a mantel if you are putting a 60inch tv over the fire place, it is going to look odd, like to big black boxes stacked ...need someway to distinguish the area.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 4:57PM
paadoggi
flair lighting - i really appreciate and value your suggestions. We actually thought about the lighting too. We're definitely going to add a mantel over fireplace but we were sure exactly how it would come out. An example will be nice. Thanks greatly!!
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:06PM
paadoggi
sage0807 - we're definitely getting an ottoman..weren't sure about the color. We'll probably wait until most of the decor comes together. Thanks a bunch!
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:14PM
cabingirl13
Will you actually be using the fireplace to burn? Mounting a TV over a fireplace is not the best idea if you are going to use the fireplace regularly (cooked electronics) but if it is just for looks go ahead. I would add a nice thick mantle above the fireplace as well. I also like the idea posted above about changing out the island top to wood for some warmth in the kitchen.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:20PM
sage0807
Here's another cute idea for the "coffee" table.
Hedgemoor Residence · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 5:23PM
paadoggi
sage0807 - I like this a lot. This may give our 2 year old the liberty to own the place. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:52PM
saratogaswizzlestick
When budget allows I would love to see you continue the wood floor into the kitchen.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 6:03PM
paadoggi
we're doing this but probably in a year. we're excited to see the outcome
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 6:48PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Here is another idea of how to tie some red in a neutral kitchen. Love the other ideas suggested as well. Good luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 6:54PM
paadoggi
the you Curb Appeal Renovations...this is very helpful
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:18PM
I'd have to brown this room up a bit to go with that red wall. Burlap shades, sepia art, chocolate rug... Okay, an orange ottoman. Can't be too serious all the time.

I wouldn't do a mantel. Your TV is going to take over that wall.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 10, 2014 at 8:26PM
Ann
Grover, if you have the time, would you please give the red and white rug I found and posted up a ways a try? Paadoggi liked it - here it is.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 9:13PM
paadoggi
Grover..we love what you've put together. This is definitely the look we're going for. The paint we used on both sides was quail eggs but didn't come out as dark as we wanted. I does come out more at night.

Ann - do you have another suggestion for a very similar rug but softer one? I love the savanna maze but a softer touch will be really great because of our kid.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:15AM
Ann
Well, do you like the look of a dark rug like grover pictured or a light background? I can sure shop around online once I know a bit more about what you have in mind.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:18AM
Ann
Also, do you have a price range you need to stay within since the rug sites allow you to search by price?
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:19AM
paadoggi
$150-250 will be good. We have a lot of work to do so the cheaper the better.

I really would like a brighter color for that area. I think It'll make the place feel a bit more roomy. Thanks so much Ann!
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:47AM
Ann
Here are a few - you need an 8x10 (don't go smaller) so the price range is a bit tough. The last one of this group is my favorite but I think it's $420. The other two were less.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:12AM
paadoggi
Thank you Ann. We're gonna get to work. Hopefully we can get a good deal on one of these. Is is the same website? rugsusa.com. Thanks a bunch!
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:16AM
Ann
Yes rugsusa - searching for "red" and then for "brown".
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:18AM
Ann's first rug:
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 12:31PM
Ann
Thanks grover - I like this one and the one you posted - was your brown one in the $250 range paadoggi would like to stay within? I was searching for more possibilities but there isn't a huge selection in that range.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 12:43PM
Bahir Custom Lighting & Decor
The sofas are good. A large oval table (easier to get around) on a large rug in front of them would work well in that space. The rug should be fairly dark, white or cream areas will show dirt very quickly.

I would put two pendants over the island, and a group of pendants in the far inside corner. For the kitchen, something colorful would be a good idea (
Globe Chandelier - Blown Glass Pendant Lighting · More Info
). For the corner, between white and red walls, cream, yellow, or gold lights would be a good choice (
Kadur - Blown Glass Pendant Lighting · More Info
- in gold
).
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 12:44PM
Ann
Cassie, I simply can't imagine what suggestions you might have for art:)
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 12:46PM
From plushrugs.com
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 12:54PM
Red leather shag--all rugs I've posted are under $300, yes, even the leather shag.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 12:55PM
Ann
The first and second ones from grover's group of 4 are pretty good!
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 12:56PM
The brown and red rug in my first rendering is a Surya and more like $800: http://plushrugs.com/surya/signature/sig-1005/dark-chocolate-red/
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 1:01PM
paadoggi
Cassie, we a're very open please suggest away.

Grover - thanks so much. This really gives as an idea with the various rugs. Really love all the 4 posted. Wild be difficult too choose one. Thanks si much everyone.

Sideide table suggestions anyone?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 3:40PM
On a budget, can't do better than Ikea:
Lövbacken Side Table, Medium Brown · More Info
-
VEJMON Side table · More Info
-
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 4:30PM
Ann
I'm so shocked to see this selection of art from Cassie! It seems I've seen the same group on possibly a 100 different Houzz discussions in just the last week. I must be mistaken. Oh, and didn't the prices go up to around $300 for a bit? Maybe, today's a sale day. Sometimes I just wish I was Margo, she has such a way with words and her comment would have been so much better:)
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 11, 2014 at 5:59PM
Ann
Oh my gosh, it is a special sale just for paadoggi!!!! "The Second Coming" was advertised on this link just 30 minutes ago for $500!!!!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/881144/Help-this-room-POp
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:13PM
chookchook2
Don't worry, you said it for all of us. She is spamming the threads.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:15PM
Ann
Oh, so sorry, my mistake. It's "An Inside Job" that sells for $500! Darn, I thought it was a big sale!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:16PM
Ann
Sorry for the interruption, paadoggi! Just playing around a bit since there's been a Houzzer that's been frustrating us all. How is your rug search going?
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 11, 2014 at 6:40PM
paadoggi
wow. interesting. I see the trend ladies. Thanks for the heads up.

Ann - I'm still searching but will most likely go with one of Grover's first 2 pics from the four pics above.

Grover the VEJMON Side table seems more like it. Thank you guys so much!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 7:04PM
Jake
I don't understand the crazy behind mounting a TV above a fireplace. Crazy. It's just awful. Why? Sit down in front of the TV and tell me: do you like looking forward or up?

Forward is more natural.
Unless you like to sit and watch TV.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 7:34PM
Ann
Hmmmm usmarineadam - it appears you've been browsing Houzz for about an hour, not two years. But, I guess that's an interesting coincidence. Also, interesting that you and Cassie both use the term "cos". Wow, now we have Cassie as mutiple users!
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 7:55PM
chookchook2
Spam

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/query/xceron
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:03PM
Ann
Interesting!!!! I'll look into that.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:10PM
chookchook2
Sorry, should have used capital M.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:44PM
hanna1984
OK! I say we get a good night's sleep and finish trying our best to help paadoggi tomorrow! See ya'll in the morning! :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 11, 2014 at 9:49PM
chookchook2
If the OP is interested in the artist, here is their direct contact

https://www.facebook.com/theartofadream
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:20PM
chookchook2
Historically, some artists have deliberately created controversy to sell art, on the theory that all publicity is good publicity.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:26PM
hanna1984
Night night! :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:48PM
auntiebuzzybee
Sorry but the modern, original "art" recommended here kinda reminds me of those business inspirational posters all through offices about 20 years ago. I'M SURE IT'S JUST ME but I just can't see these being pleasing in the OP's design. I would certainly move on and keep looking. I think you could REALLY do better but that's just MY amateur design opinion. I'd PASS on that one.

I do like the idea of bringing some "warmth" back into the area, either with the butcher block counters or if there's some way to paint your ceiling in colours like the photos posted by Curb Appeal Renovations along with some of the lovely colored lighting presented by Bahir Custom Lighting and Decor. A blending of the red, whites, creams and golds will be comfortable, rich but not heavy and forward thinking.
As MY vote goes to Ann's rug #2 to the right or Grover's #1 or #4.
I personally think the white frames would be better replaced with a muted antique brass or pewter then use cream and/or white matting, like linen unless you do a stretched canvas type. The use of the browns and sepias by Grover is much better to tone it down.

Its good to get back on track to the original dilemma posted at the top. Let's hit the reset button because I'm sure you'd like to get something positive to come of this . You've got work to do! Y'all were getting some good things pulled together.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:52AM
chookchook2
I was thinking of ways to keep the little one away from the hot boiling things in the kitchen.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:56AM
chookchook2
Just searched safety gates on Houzz,

Dreambaby Chelsea Xtra Tall and Wide Swing Close Gate Combo Pack, White · More Info
-
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 2:04AM
chookchook2
Pulling down a pot of soup could ruin his life.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:06AM
chookchook2
Ikea adjustable cooktop guard

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/kitchen_howto/NA/child-friendly_kitchen.html
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:08AM
auntiebuzzybee
There's been a recent discussion on here about childproofing your home. Really good article and participation. I remember seeing a photo of a rack type device on the front of the stove that extended the height several inches higher to keep hands off pots and burners. Have no idea what it's called, whether they are commonplace or where to purchase. That little boy couldn't reach over top though! Wasn't complicated looking (?)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 2:10AM
chookchook2
Is the family room meant to look like an adult or child space? This would govern what you choose for toy storage in there, a wicker chest, closed cupboard, open shelving,etc
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:11AM
chookchook2
Have you a link, bsellers?
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:12AM
auntiebuzzybee
O h my...uh...I'm working on it !!! Please be patient with the elderly computer impaired!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:32AM
chookchook2
I'm a dinosaur.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:36AM
auntiebuzzybee
http://www.houzz.com/r/1/23832785/MmQwMDE5/e/v0/encgtc//u/9YYAA7MGW38V2RsEqKBJqw

This doesn't look right!!! Oh my Gosh! LMAO! I need to get off this phone and go to desk top#
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:44AM
auntiebuzzybee
YEEEES!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:45AM
chookchook2
I'll have what she's having.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:46AM
auntiebuzzybee
MORE MORE COFFEE! HEY, this is an all nighter here with you guys and im breaking a sweat trying to cut and paste and keep up with these discussions! Whew!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:01AM
chookchook2
Cut it with decaf, I do now.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:02AM
auntiebuzzybee
KidCo Stove Guard for Kids · More Info
-
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:11AM
auntiebuzzybee
Ha ha ha HAPPY DANCE!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:12AM
paadoggi
Omg..chookchook and bseller..thanks much. I'll be makin cha a trip to IKEA this Friday for this protector and a few things..hee lovrd to pu'll sloves door down to reach. Bless you guys.

Chookchook - we want it to be a blend of the two as in both adult and child friendly so suggest away. Very anxiuos to start putting things together this weekend.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 5:28AM
paadoggi
Thanks much for that link. We thought about painting our fridge or an area in family room but I think the fridge might be better?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 5:35AM
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 5:38AM
chookchook2
I havnt tested any of these products.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 5:44AM
chookchook2
How to paint a fridge

http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=How+to+paint+a+fridge&fr=ipad&fr2=intlr&ei=UTF-8
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 5:46AM
paadoggi
guys what do you think? Think we should go ahead and paint the fridge? that may keep little one on his toes and stay busy in the area. We anticipate replacing the fridge stove and washer in the future anyway to stainless steel so it wouldn't be a bad project.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:07AM
chookchook2
Separate dilemma. Ask Houzzers to direct the 2year old as he paints the fridge. Grover could do mockups. Ann could find the perfect drop sheets and put the red kettle on to boil. Jake could watch TV sitting down, and bsellers would finish up by doing a happy dance.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:14AM
chookchook2
Cuban artists decorate fridges. Some are amazing

http://www.havana-cultura.com/en/nl/visual-art/fridges-art-project/cuban-painter
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:24AM
chookchook2
I know of 2of our Aussie artists, Pro Hart, and Arthur Boyd, both famous, who decorated fridges with paint. Can't find pics, though.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:26AM
auntiebuzzybee
Ta-da! Thanks, Chook. What day shall we plan this get together and which direction do we go??? Round and round the world. I'm getting dizzy.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:27AM
chookchook2
Goodnight! Cold food for thought!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:27AM
chookchook2
Ask our hostess, bsellers, keep dancing.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:28AM
auntiebuzzybee
Ideabook: How to Childproof Your Home: Expert Advice · See Ideabook
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:36AM
auntiebuzzybee
That is a separate ideabook than the mile long one above the first stove pic. I just can not get it to cut and paste the same. It does take you to the How to Childproof ideabook. Click below photo.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:43AM
motupeg
I am glad you were all able to move this discussion on from last night. Whew! I think that the pictures presented were too dramatic for a family oriented room with a young child. I found some very nice paintings on Etsy that were not expensive and pottery barn ( if you like the look of PB) has some of the thicker wool pile rugs in the transitional/contemporary style.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/desa-bordered-wool-rug-terra-cotta/?pkey=ccontemporary-rugs&cm_src=contemporary-rugs||NoF

and they had this rug in the deep rust but I only see mocha now.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/scroll-tile-rug-mocha/?pkey=ccontemporary-rugs&cm_src=contemporary-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 7:40AM
paadoggi
motupeg thanks for the links..I like the second link's rug. I wonder how much 8x10 will cost us..thatnks :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:46AM
Ann
Nice rugs motupeg! Paadoggi mentioned they have a lot left to buy so they are hoping to spend more around $250 for an 8x10. Makes the search a little harder, but we're finding some in that range.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:48AM
hanna1984
I love both of your rugs, motupeg. I would have a hard time choosing between any of the rugs suggested by everyone. Everyone has worked very hard find great great items for paadoggi! :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:48AM
Ann
Oops sorry, overlapped with paadoggi.
motupeg
If paadoggi likes the look of the rug then maybe she/we can be on the lookout for something similar and cheaper. I always buy my PB rugs on sale but you may not want to wait that long with a little one on the floor. (the 8x10 PB rug is $599)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 8:13AM
chook, those Cuban fridges are amazing! I am a huge fan of Cuban art. Thanks for the link.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 8:19AM
sage0807
Do you have a Home Goods in your area? If so, it may be worth it to swing by and check them out.
I stopped by yesterday (only the 3rd time I've been there since I "found" it less than 6 weeks ago). They have a lot of different items from lamps to accent furniture, decor, rugs and more at pretty good prices. I've only purchased a few items (bathroom art, an accent lantern and a couple of cute over the door hangers for my kids) so I can't exactly speak to quality. The items looks nice and seem reasonably priced and I have seen some "name brand" items in the store furniture wise along with items that looks like some I've seen on Wayfair.com.
Out of curiosity, has anyone else had experience with items from Home Goods? What are your thoughts?
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 8:24AM
paadoggi
sage0807 - thanks for the suggestion. I will google it up and see what we have here. I've been to bed bath and beyound that last couple of days with no luck for something similar to what we have here
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 9:26AM
Ann
Paadoggi, I'm guessing somewhere online (like Amazon) might be your best bet for very specific items, like specific red accents for the kitchen. Homegoods is great, but not where you often find very specific items. It's more like you see something you like at Homegoods and then decide if you have a good spot for it. It can be hit or miss. Somewhere like Bed, Bath and Beyond does carry things like the Le Creuset line, but quite iffy that they'll have just what you want in just the color you want it. I end up doing an lot of my shopping online when I'm looking for very specific items or colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 9:34AM
paadoggi
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 9:51AM
sage0807
Ann - yes, you nailed it with regards to Home Goods - it is hit or miss. I think you have some general ideas, you may find things that fit, but if there is something very specific then it's likely not the place to go.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:35AM
auntiebuzzybee
paadoggi, for whatever it's worth, I would keep your white appliances. They look quite nice to me and there is a resurgence in their popularity as I understand it, here in the States. I think I would rather focus my attention to changing your kitchen flooring to match your living area.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 1:44PM
paadoggi
we've decided to hold on for a bit to see how it all fits together..our boy likes to write (as do any 2 yr old :) I wonder if we can make a chalk board somewhere in kitchen or living room for him.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:47PM
chookchook2
Chuffed to have impressed Groveraxle! Of course I did all the Cuban art while on chook boot camp in the Cuban wilds.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:52PM
chookchook2
Looking for Cuban chalk board links.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:55PM
chookchook2
Found it. Their colours match yours too

http://www.mybigfatcubanfamily.com/my_big_fat_cuban_family/2012/09/everyone-should-have-a-giant-chalkboard.html
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:59PM
chookchook2
My daughter says to look for Cuban chalk. Off to do that. If I don't return, I'm leaving my Cake Tin thread to its posters.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:02PM
chookchook2
The CIA is now watching me.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:06PM
stepi
Sorry, I did not have the time to read all comments... So maybe others said the same before: take the wooden floor to the kitchen too! The room will look much more unified and bigger! Wooden floor is no problem in kitchens! We have it for eight years now.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:12PM
Eye 4 Color/Paint Smart Studio
I don't want to squelch your design so far, but, I have to point out a few things. Why the red accent wall? The space looks like that it doesn't have a lot of natural light. So the red wall just makes matters worse. Looks too dark and depressing . Perhaps linking the kitchen and living room with wall color would be better. Think of a color like Sherwin williams Anew Gray or Benj. Moore Cumulus Cloud. Paint both the kitchen and living room walls.

Then add the color with you accessories and furniture. Buy a great area rug. Make sure it is large enough maybe 8 x 10. This will help anchor the room and carve out a conversation space. Buy a really cool, large, square coffee table. Think about replacing the leather love seat with 2 really cool fabric chairs. Could be really modern in nature. Check out the Womb Chair by Saarinen. You might be able to find a cool vintage redone chair. Look on 1st dibs or Design within reach. Also, looks like you have room for a small dining table and chairs. Find a cool one, maybe West Elm design. Add artwork, a mix of fabric pillows on leather sofa. Stacking tables for end table. Maybe a cool floor lamp too. Lastly, if you still think that you need or want an accent wall think about using a little less intense color on the large wall where the sofa sits currently. Leave that end wall painted the gray color or neutral color you select.
    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 2:21PM
chookchook2
The big fat Cuban family link is a must read. Very funny . The lady is a hoot.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:31PM
paadoggi
WeWe had decided to paint the whole place with eggshell quail egg valspar but then decided yo throw in the red. Asides from changing the red any other ideas on bringing light and warm? We intend to keep the windows free of full blinds. What do you think? The decor ones by Grover should work. any one seeing anything besides Grovers online? This is exciting. We ll how it all comes together.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:54PM
chookchook2
Alessi. Good brand. Help Italy pay back its debt to the EU and buy this

http://www.amazon.com/Alessi-Diabolix-Bottle-Opener-Red/dp/B000FV8G3M
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:55PM
chookchook2
Nothing wrong with red.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:56PM
chookchook2
No sharp edges for the little one, but might be cheaper elsewhere?

http://www.amazon.com/Alessi-Mediterraneo-Fruit-Holder-Small/dp/B000Z9IC1K%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIAA4MWUJXHBYFRNQ%26tag%3Dsquid553916-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000Z9IC1K
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 2:59PM
paadoggi
We are definitely keeping the red. Have already lined up things to get from suggestions here. Can't wait
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:01PM
@Eye 4 Color/Paint Smart Studio, if you look at the room in the daylight photo, you'll see it seems to get plenty of light. Also, we're on a budget here, so DWR and womb chairs are out.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 3:02PM
paadoggi
On Serious budget Grover :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:04PM
This is better than the Alessi bowl, and it's 1/3 the price:
IKEA STOCKHOLM Bowl · More Info
-
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 12, 2014 at 3:06PM
chookchook2
Iconic design classic

http://www.alessi.com/en/3/520/kettles/kettle
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:07PM
paadoggi
Thanks much guys. Def getting this $19.99 looks llike a deal to me
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:11PM
Don't worry about the CIA, chook. They're watching all of us.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:11PM
chookchook2
But they'll never know exactly what your room looks like, Grover.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:13PM
chookchook2
Has occurred to me that those toy boxes I posted earlier are nice enough to double as a coffee table to save space and money. Should have a side table that is very sturdy.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:33PM
motupeg
I saw a couple of rugs close to the PB one that paadoggi liked on Joss and Main this morning but the 8x10 was still going to be more than she wanted to spend.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:04AM
riadaniels
Paadoggi - I love the red wall. I think there should be a splash of red in every room. I also love what you did for your backsplash in your kitchen. I know that you are bringing red into the kitchen, can you bring any of the colors from the backsplash into the family room
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by paadoggi    March 13, 2014 at 12:06PM
paadoggi
oooo..never thought about that. Yeah we did the backsplash and kitchen ourselves. I'm working hard on the carpet and coffee table. Have a couple of fancy lights picked out but not entirely set yet.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 1:23PM
Leicht Westchester Kitchens
To make the most of your space and define it, you may want to consider a modular wall system. The cabinetry can be ordered to match so the flow of your kitchen continues into the living space. You can add drawers, shelves and even a screen with the wiring hidden. It can be adapted as your needs change. Here are a few photos:
STYLE: Paneel · More Info

STYLE: Paneel · More Info

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 2:53PM
motupeg
I don't know if you found a rug yet, but Josh and Main just advertised some for today. Cheaper than Pottery Barn. https://www.jossandmain.com/Measure-Up~E9900.html?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=
    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 5:01PM
tnischik

I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but could you continue the hardwood through the kitchen? It goes in last anyway and it would look gorgeous. You have a very nice home.

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 7:58AM
Need some serious design and layout help.
I am in need of layout and general ideas for this large...
bgoss6474
Both our master bath and laundry room need serious help!
We have been living with a hole in our bathroom due...
msnella
I need serious help for our adjoined kitchen - dining room!
I have chosen the flooring, but I want to take an attached....
kellygift
Need serious help to coordinate my open kitchen with my living room
i'm building my new new apartment & i loved the...
aalaam
Super excited first time homebuyer in serious need of design advice!
Me and my wife are so excited to be finally moving...
Nick Ruta
Colors advice
Pls give some colors add this pic
satishpudhari
French Country Manor - paint color help, please
What color would you recommend which would be in keeping...
bishop1968
Pool
10 yr on finish/ 5 yr on plumbing 25 yr on finish/3...
casmo123
My master bath is gutted.
Looking for a rich, warmer toned real onyx stone 18...
jonesp1234
Drapes
Master bedroom help what to do. Window looks off centered....
gdulcich