Front door opens into middle of living room! Help!
alfp82
Our front door opens into our living room. The space is small and we are keen to use all of it, but a small coat closet next to the door cuts the space in half. Any ideas on how to make this into a cohesive room for relaxing and entertaining would be a great help!
Ann
It looks to me like you've done a wonderful job with the situation!
March 10, 2014 at 2:55PM     
flair lighting
there is nothing amiss here!
March 10, 2014 at 2:57PM     
mfwolfe
I had to think and think and think to find anything wrong. This is a very nicely done room. Maybe the black rug in front of the door could be another color. I am nitpicking, really
March 10, 2014 at 3:00PM     
Chicago ReDesign
Unfortunately you are very limited due to the size and layout of the space... but I think you have done a great job so far working within those limitations. I'm assuming you are keeping the furniture shown here? Working with that assumption my first suggestion would be a larger area rug - perhaps FLOR squares so you have the ability to customize the size and you could connect the area where the TV console is to the seating area. That way it wouldn't feel so much like a passageway from the front door to the kitchen, and would add some visual interest. You could also add a few smaller upholstered ottomans or poufs - they wouldn't take up much room (tuck under coffee table if possible) and they would add some flexible seating (and even storage if you wanted). And lastly, pick an accent color and repeat it in the seating area as well as on the console side to visual connect the two areas (and again, ease the "hallway" feel of the space).
March 10, 2014 at 3:06PM     
patriciarhall
use the front door as a place for art or your coat of arms.
March 10, 2014 at 3:12PM     
Warner Decor
Hi! Wow your place is stunning! I think that I would lose the black rug and get a different mat. Here is an idea: (yes, I know it is a doormat, but it might be nice to have when people walk in with dirty shoes!)
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/gray-vine-border-waterguard-doormat-standard/
March 10, 2014 at 3:23PM     
Need a closet and your home is a winner, as is.
March 10, 2014 at 3:25PM     
pcmom1
Smaller, lighter color rug in front of door: that is all!
March 10, 2014 at 3:30PM     
bungalowmo
I agree with the others...looks really nice! Where did you get your sofa & chair? I really like the color & structure. Nice looking & they look comfy too!

If I were to add anything, Maybe one bold color somewhere...even if it's a vase full of bright purple or orange flowers with pretty greens.
March 10, 2014 at 3:49PM     
housegal200
Um, what's wrong with your space? It's beautiful--so creamy and harmonious--great flow, too. You not only solved the honking TV problem brilliantly, you have a lovely conversational area as well. It's a very sophisticated use of your space. My only suggestion would be to get a high quality indoor/outdoor rug for the entry in colors that tie in with the living room--black/gray and cream pattern maybe. Ballard Designs has beautiful ones. Often Overstock has great ones, too. Honestly, I think massive rooms are harder to plan and lack the coherence and coziness of your much smaller space. Well done!
March 10, 2014 at 3:56PM     
alfp82
Thank you all so much for your great ideas (and very kind compliments)! These are all so helpful and much appreciated.
March 10, 2014 at 4:37PM     
jberge2003
Hi, I do agree with everyone's opinion on the color and decor, very nice! Now how about changing the floor plan of seating area- couch facing kitchen and the chairs facing couch and front door with the poofs facing the t.v. to create a seating area that isn't focused on the tv and front door. Could add extra chair or ottoman between the tv stand and closet and just move the brown rug to another area and you can get a beautiful Persian rug at ikea that is small enough for that area;-) I would wish you luck but you already have a great eye and taste, cheers!
March 10, 2014 at 7:08PM     
pcmom1
If you want a change up, how about moving tv where sofa is? Then face sofa towards it and the two chairs together (almost as a loveseat) to one of the sides. The current tv wall could become a gallery wall.

But, you may just not have sufficient room.... As already said, you have done a beautiful job, this is just an idea to toss at you!
March 11, 2014 at 1:17PM     
Christelle
i have the exact same situation :) love your space
March 11, 2014 at 1:22PM     
collettec
Beautiful space! I agree with others to go with a gray for the entry rug that coordinates with your furniture. Perhaps larger pictures around the television bringing in some color that you have in the other art and pillows, but it looks great now.
March 11, 2014 at 2:00PM     
housegal200
We lived in a small house where people entered directly into the living room. It's a plus, not a minus, IMO. (Granted, I had a den for TV watching TV.) Your living room is works well just as it is because your conversational layout is the first thing people see when they enter. I entertained a ton in our small living room and made sure to have a fancy ice bucket with champagne or prosecco in it 24/7 with glasses on a tray set up all the time. That just says "celebration here." (I have a bottle stuck in my ice bucket right now sans ice until the next time I have company. Different home.) You could put the ice bucket on your kitchen island. I'd always have the hors d'oeuvres set out on the coffee table as well before everyone arrived. "Good eats!" right when you arrive. And mustn't forget flowers.

So, a cozy furniture arrangement with the goodies in view as you greet people and put their coats in the handy closet, what could be nicer than that? Now, you may have to let others with mega spaces do Super Bowl Sunday, but I have to tell you when we sold our house, loads of people described how much they'd miss all kinds of cozy dinners, small kids' birthday parties, and brunches we'd hosted in that small space.
March 11, 2014 at 2:05PM     
alfp82
Again, this is all really helpful. Thank you all so much for the wonderful ideas! My spouse is keen to have the sofa facing the biggest wall (with the horse painting) in order to create more of a conversational space and to delineate the entry way from the living room. I worry that would make the living space too small, but these ideas make me think otherwise. We have a TV room in the basement so perhaps ditching the hutch and TV and replacing it with a bench with some storage and a gallery wall above would work out really well. Thanks again all!
March 11, 2014 at 2:21PM     
HomeStory Easy Door Installation
I like what you've done already. What a pretty room!
March 11, 2014 at 2:40PM   
newman1958
It is a beautiful room. The black rug does stand out. All the colors in the room are neutral, try something with a pattern on the floors.
March 12, 2014 at 4:35AM   
enfys
I'm kinda with everyone else here. I think your space is pretty much perfect as is. The one thing, and it's been mentioned already, is the smaller area rug in front of the front door. It does seem a bit out of place next to the larger area rug; I'd remove it. As for Chicago ReDesign's advice on adding an accent color - she's right on. And I see some beautiful green things in your kitchen that would make green (perhaps apple green?) a great accent color in your living room.
March 12, 2014 at 3:42PM   
Lori Dennis, Inc.
I'd put the sofa with it's back to the door to at least make an entry way.
March 12, 2014 at 4:21PM   
pcmom1
Housegal200, I'm on my way over!
March 12, 2014 at 5:19PM   
pcmom1
Alfp82, here is a picture that shows a small living room with the sofa turned. Imagine the fireplace is your tv. The back of sofa sort of creates a foyer area. Go ahead and try, furniture moving is free!

March 12, 2014 at 5:22PM   
cookie monster
I have the same problem. I thought about adding a foyer somehow to our house. But too $$$$. It is hard because if you're like me, you just dream of more;-) Your home is beautiful. I was clicking on it to get ideas for my living room. The picture was so nice!
March 12, 2014 at 5:28PM     
sharon1ha
I think your room is beautiful, as is. Well, maybe one tiny change, as others have mentioned, the front door mat could be changed, different color and maybe smaller, otherwise I think it is a lovely room.
March 16, 2014 at 11:20AM   
diyher
too many msgs to read :)) but I think like sharon mentioned, change the rug in front. It's the black rug that draws your eye and makes it seem like a different space. Try something smaller that goes the width of the door. Looks like you have beautiful wood floors, show them off :)
March 16, 2014 at 11:39AM   
Front door opens in middle of living room, splits room in half!
I really need help figuring out how to arrange furniture...
front door opens into small living room - HELP
I am moving into a house that is split into 2 flats....
Help: My front door opens up into my stairwell/living room area
This is the previous owners decor. I've taken a note...
Help with front door opening into living room
My front door opens into a square living room. I am...
Front door in middle of living room.
Condo where front room is long w/entry and walk thru...
Glass edge looks green
We are almost finished with our kitchen, we only have...
Help with this drum shade please!!
I bought a drum shade to cover up the chandelier in...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Does anyone know where I can purchase a chandelier like this.
Would love something like this. Anyone know where I...
Does a chrome faucet work with a stainless steel sink?
Hello! I am building a home and am trying to make a...