Lighting for 2 story foyer
jarbatz
I am replacing the chandelier in our foyer. It is a large 16 light fixture that I am replacing with a smaller, lighter orb fixture. Is there a rule for the size that I should follow? The new one's dimensions are 35"H X 29" Diameter. By itself it looks plenty big to me, but in comparison to the old fixture, which is huge, seems really small. You can get an idea of the area/height in the first picture. Foyer hall is flanked by the formal living room on one side and an office on the other side, and leads into the kitchen. Thanks!
Mark
“When sizing a chandelier or pendant for your foyer, add the length and width dimensions of the foyer area together and convert the total into inches. Example: The area is 18 feet by 14 feet. Added together this equals 32 feet. Then convert your sum to inches: the chandelier’s diameter should be approx. 32 inches in width.” Hope this helps.
March 11, 2014 at 12:31PM        Thanked by jarbatz
jarbatz
Thanks Mark - The width I can measure because it's more defined. But on measuring the length, where does the foyer end and the hall/kitchen begin? It's not clearly defined 0 Does the make sense? :)
March 11, 2014 at 12:36PM   
Roughly measure the area for which the current chandelier serves as a center point. From the front door to the 3rd or 4th step on the stairs could serve as a smaller "foyer" for measuring. You could also take the measurement all the way to where the door frame to the side room stops. Try all three of these measurements and tape out the different sizes they add up to with painter's tape. That should help you visualize it a bit better.
March 11, 2014 at 1:09PM      Thanked by jarbatz
jarbatz
So based on two different measurements, the foyer is 9.25 feet wide by 9.75 feet - 13 feet long. So based on that the diameter of the fixture would be 19" - 22". The one that I purchased is 28" but since the ceilings are so high I don't think it will look too large. The one that is in there now is at least 3 feet in diameter and 4 feet long, if not bigger so it's definitely too large, based on that rule of thumb calculation. Any additional thoughts?
March 11, 2014 at 6:49PM   
Would you like to share a pic of the new chandy for us to see?
March 12, 2014 at 7:39AM   
jarbatz
Deco - I did - it's the 6-light Orb chandelier. The picture I posted is in brass, but the one I purchased is Aged Silver. Was thinking if the light from the chandy is not enough (though we don't need a ton of light in there due to the window) I could also add a sconce at the bottom of the stairs. Thanks!
March 12, 2014 at 7:45AM   
Sorry, forgot to go back and look again - I think I spread myself too thin on Dilemmas sometimes! lol Try to match the sconce finish to the orb if you decide you need it.
March 12, 2014 at 8:07AM   
jarbatz
Ha ha Deco you are very busy on here! :) There is actually a matching sconce to the orb (picture below) but not sure if that's too matchy-matchy. There is another one that I like that also has the "orb" style (pic attached).
March 12, 2014 at 8:14AM   
I like the one with the shade! The other one looks too industrial or nautical, can't decide which.
March 12, 2014 at 8:39AM     
starmint9
I have the same issue. I have a foyer that is 13' tall over a 5x5 landing except it extends upstairs to a 2nd story foyer, but the light is hanging over the landing. I am not sure what area should be considered a measure. Maybe you should consider the window to be taken into consideration since you'll want to center that
March 12, 2014 at 1:22PM   
2-story foyer lighting
We just bought a new house that has a 2 story foyer....
2 story foyer lighting help
I have a butterfly stair case with a renaissance chandelier...
1 story foyer to a 2 story foyer
has anyone created or added a 2 story foyer to their...
2 story foyer
Love his but would it be too small for two story foyer?...
Landscaping help
Looking for ideas of different plants, trees etc to...
office work photo
please i need your advice about photo in work office....
need a wall colour for my house please
trim colour is manchester tan HC-81 Benjamin Moore....
Need help with flooring type for new build
After 40 years in an old house, we finally are building...
Stained door and trim - how to coordinate with hardwood floors?
Here is my foyer in progress, and a sample of the hardwood...