Eva Markiewicz
I have fallen in love with the idea of a white kitchen. But I can't tell if I'm simply so fed up with our dark little 1970s kitchen that anything white and clean looks super enticing. Will white be too white and hospital like? Or do white kitchens look good? I really want something zen-like, timeless, elegant, cottage-like loads of light and windows, open, airy, clean, easy to maintain, not too expensive. Please - any thoughts are welcome - I'm not an interior designer.

Here is my ideabook on kitchens:
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Most people like the idea of a white kitchen, it is very popular with hundreds of examples on Houzz. My opinion is white kitchens look best with a carefully selected white for the cabinets. Some common feedback I hear is that white kitchens can feel too cold. If you select a shade of white that is warmer with creamier tones you can avoid this "cold" problem that people describe. Here are a few warm whites that I like, all by Benjamin Moore.
Dove Wing OC-18
Glacier White AC-40
Monterey White HC-27
Also it helps to select warmer toned plumbing fixtures, for example, polished nickel is warmer than chrome. Of course tile backsplashes are another area where you can add warmth to a white kitchen palette. I've attached some pictures of a white kitchen I designed. I think the butcher block on the island helps add warmth as well. Hope that helps you and good luck with your project. Charmean Neithart http://www.houzz.com/pro/cninteriors/__public
0 Likes   February 17, 2012 at 7:13PM
Eva Markiewicz
These are excellent suggestions - thank you!
0 Likes   February 17, 2012 at 7:50PM
Lucy Interior Design
Hello from Lucy Interior Design! We love white which is always a classic for a kitchen. We are crazy for Benjamin Moore 967 and paired with Soapstone or Carara marble countertops looks amazing. If you are scared of all white, add an accent stain or color to the base cabinet on your island. Have fun with your cabinet hardware and the backsplash tile or entire tile wall feature should be special-glass or mosaics. You'll never tire of something classic and pretty! Good luck and have fun designing.
Cheers, Lucy
0 Likes   February 17, 2012 at 8:17PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
One of the most important things about white, and what the Europeans seem to understand better than North Americans, is it can and SHOULD be layered. North Americans are determined to match evertyhing perfectly or they don't do it! Wrong way to go with white. Don't be afraid to mix whites with creams. Use your lighting to add design elements. White can be as eclectic and home or sterile and cold as you choose to make it! Add layers of whites and you will see that it can become anything you want it to be. For flooring, I would look at a white cork floating floor. It is soft, warm and the subtle color inside the palette can help direct or focus the area! If you feel like it, you can even use cork flooring tiles as a back splash! You can have your floor MATCH your backsplash! Not something many people can say!
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 12:09PM
Backsplash help!!!
Hi my kitchen is all done except backsplash and paint....
Need help with a dining room tablescape
I'm looking for just the right tablescape to set off...
Baseboards
lindagreco 7:12 PM What type of baseboards has a flex...
Need suggestions on furniture placement
We are in the market to purchase new furniture for...
Cork Board
I don't know how or where to place the photos to make...