Suggestions for new home
jess07
I am moving into a new home in several weeks which was built in the early 90's . The structure of the home is very beautiful but the inside is very outdated. Dark cherry wood runs throughout the home and I am looking for ways to incorporate a sort of rustic chic feel throughout. I love warm/neutral tones and want an overall "cozy" feeling. Any suggestions for color pallets for the walls as well as decorating suggestions for the great room and loft area (which is seen from great room and front door) to give it a homey and updated feel?
One idea is to paint the spindles white for a fresher look.
March 12, 2014 at 5:39AM     
kadodi
I think the trim is beautiful. I think some of the other finishes look dated and cheap... Those are the issues I would address if it was my home. I am referring to the brass fireplace and the lighting. I don't care for the carpeting or the fireplace brick either.
March 12, 2014 at 6:11AM   
Warner Decor
Hi! Looks like you have a nice, large, new-to-you home! I think that if I were you, I would start with an are rug first for the great room so that you can have a color palate to work with. Here are a few rugs that are rustic yet cozy.
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/pier-1-imports/vertical-chevron-rugs/ (incorporates bright and dark tones)
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/red-striped-indoor-outdoor-rug/ (warmer tones)
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/novica-color-fiesta-rug/ (very tribal and rustic)

Hope this helps you!
March 12, 2014 at 6:27AM     
msukellybot
It's a beautiful space!! Big spaces and cathedral ceilings intimidate me...I would paint the woodwork, including rail and spindle, creamy off white along the lines of Benjamin Moore White Dove.

The fireplace is dated but I like the simplicity. I would definitely reface the brick and based on your description of your style, I would look into a stone veneer (photo from Lowe's attached). I would paint the mantel the same color as your trim. Replace the current door with a simple rustic, free-standing screen...if you don't have big safety concerns to consider.

Based on the stone color palette, I would pick your wall color. If that room gets a good amount of light throughout the day I would go a shade darker then you would normally pick. On the same palette I would pick a lighter shade for the loft area - I would probably go two shades lighter.

Absolutely replace the fixtures. I've attached a few photos from Lowe's for ideas for the pendent light. If you don't need the light (seeing the height of the fan I'm not sure how much those lights can contribute anyways), I'd go with a ceiling fan only.

I am never sure how to handle windows with the rounded tops so I can't help you there and won't even try ;)

I hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!
March 12, 2014 at 7:10AM   
msukellybot
Paint is Benjamin Moore. Lights were from Lowe's.
March 12, 2014 at 7:14AM   
Progress Lighting
Great color schemes above - Fresh neutrals are big this year. We're seeing a large shift towards a "rough luxe" or rustic design trend as you mentioned. This article outlines some decorating ideas: http://progresslighting.com/blog/index.php/archives/2146. Hopefully this will give you some new inspiration!

You might also want to consider updating your light fixtures. Here are some examples of collections that embody a rough luxe design trend. You can view them at http://www.progresslighting.com (Collections: Crestwood, Fresnel, Archie), as well.

Hope this helps!
March 12, 2014 at 7:33AM     
Shakúff
You have a gorgeous home! Very open...and those windows are beautiful! And rustic/shabby chic is one of my favorite styles, for sure. I like browsing idea books to get inspiration through houzz tours and products: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/query/rustic-chic

This is my favorite thus far - hopefully you can get some inspiration from it too!

:)
March 12, 2014 at 9:57AM   
Look into greige - you'll find a warm neutral one you like, I'm sure. Consider removing the railings on the right end of the loft, installing walls, and closing that area as a media room. If you have kids it will probably be a gaming room too, so you could do some soundproofing there as well. I think you'll need a lot more lighting downstairs and it looks like the windows may be mismatched enough to cause some issues with treatments. When you get moved in you can add more pix with your own stuff here, for better input. Comment and Attach Images.
March 12, 2014 at 10:07AM   
S & B Interiors, Inc.
I love the open space.. I would suggest putting the TV over the fireplace and perhaps changing the flooring as well as the lighting in the room. I like the idea of a soft golden tone on the wall, perhaps done with a glazed faux finish. The ceiling is sloped and might be difficult to put details on, but I would consider trying to make it some type of coved look or put details on it. See example of family room/great room with TV above Fireplace and wall/ceiling details. Again, specific solution for ceiling, but meant as concepts, especially coffee grotto.
March 12, 2014 at 10:22AM   
Building New Home, any suggestions or selecting home colors
Building a craftsman home, may start roof with weathered...
Lighting suggestions for bedrooms in a new construction home ?
Any suggestions on what type of lighting to use in...
Suggestions for new home
Hi guys, I would really appreciate if you could give...
Tile floor in bathroom
We are redoing our main bathroom - space is narrow,...
need simple accessory ideas for very high ledge in florida home
our remodeled florida kitchen/family room is almost...
Advice on black and white bathroom
we bought a black Victorian tub similar to this one...
Paint help!
Help! I recently painted a dark teal accent wall in...
Need help with cabinet colour and backsplash
We bought a beautiful house BUT the kitchen is not...