Need help with outdated kitchen prior to moving in. Help!
Jaclyn McNeil
I was thinking about painting the cabinets White Dove OC-17 by Benjamin Moore and possibly taking the doors off of a few of them. I'm also thinking about painting the whole condo Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore. I'm on a tight budget since this is my first place! Thanks so much!!
Patricia Colwell
I can't see anything really wrong with the kitchen but painting will change it up for sure. I would however change that backsplash, it's a bit of a job but will have a huge impact. Hang a nice piece of art or a mirror above the sink and if you want to change the top cabinets for glass door ones that would look very nice. I think your color choices are good.The pantry door should be painted the same as the cabinets or replace with frosted glass to make it feel a little less closed in on that end of the kitchen.Before you start this make sure those cabinets are prepped properly or better yet send them out to a spray shop and have them done right.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jaclyn McNeil    March 12, 2014 at 7:27AM
Lorie Podgorska
I too like your paint choices. I also agree that you should change the backsplash and replace the floor tiles. Consider using wood for the floor to match the rest of the apartment. I like the idea of replacing the top cabinet doors with glass ones or you could paint the lower cabinets the pewter color u picked for the rest of the apartment and white for the upper ones. Also, if you can change the counter tops perhaps to a nice carrera marble.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jaclyn McNeil    March 12, 2014 at 7:34AM
cookie monster
I love those countertops! We are updating our galley kitchen and going for black countertops and white cabinets. Either black or stainless steel appliance. White subway tile. I am with Patricia Colwell, I would change the backsplash too. We painted out cabinets white. I don't know if that is what you meant by painting. After we painted our cabinets, it was a huge difference. I had to tell you though, I love your countertops;-) Nice kitchen!
cookie monster
yep and with Lorie. I saw your paint choices now. You have some great ideas! Good luck!!!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jaclyn McNeil    March 12, 2014 at 7:36AM
agevm
What you suggested sounds great and would make a big difference, as paint usually does. I don't see a pantry door, just cabinets. You could look around at some different hardware for the cabinets if it fits in the budget. Have fun in your new place.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jaclyn McNeil    March 12, 2014 at 7:38AM
DDS Design Services, LLC by Jeff Kida
You are in an interesting and relatively common situation. Chances are you already paid a premium for an updated kitchen. Which means spending more on your kitchen may have little return. Changing the back splash is not necessarily an easy thing to do. You may want to consider upgrading the performance of the kitchen with a better appliance package such as the GE Cafe line in stainless.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jaclyn McNeil    March 12, 2014 at 7:41AM
Corinne Gail Interior Design
I like your new paint choices...current wall color is too much beige! Updating your cabinets with paint is a budget friendly project you can do yourself. Talk with your local paint pro for what preparation steps you will need to take for the best finish. I kind of like the backsplash that is there. I think once you add pewter walls to the space, you might find that the color scheme works well. Good luck with your new place!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jaclyn McNeil    March 12, 2014 at 7:48AM
URBAN LOFT WT & INTERIORS PHILADELPHIA
Revere Pewter is one of my faves! And I am crazy for white kitchens! Painting the cabinets white and adding white subway tile to backsplash and wood floors will totally update your look. Good luck on your new place, so exciting!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jaclyn McNeil    March 12, 2014 at 8:11AM
Jaclyn McNeil
Thanks for all the advice!! I love it. I have a question about the subway tile--would you suggest doing a darker grout or keep it all white?
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:34AM
URBAN LOFT WT & INTERIORS PHILADELPHIA
I would go with white, keeps it fresh.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:36AM
Jaclyn McNeil
Does anyone have a suggestion for lighting in a galley kitchen? It currently has track lighting and I want to replace it.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:39AM
Kitchen Magic
Refacing your kitchen (replacing just the doors and drawers) is a great way to save money and will completely transform your kitchen! White would look really beautiful with the dark counters, but replacing the doors is a much better option than painting--it will look like a whole new kitchen. If you simply paint the doors, the paint will crack and fade within a few months.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:44AM
Kitchen Magic
Lighting in a galley kitchen can be tricky, because you don't just want to use one central light for the whole space. Track lighting and under-cabinet lighting is very helpful in a galley kitchen. Here's an article that talks all about different kinds of lighting: http://blog.kitchenmagic.com/blog/bid/175058/Kitchen-Lighting-and-Why-it-Matters-to-You
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:50AM
Kitchen Magic
As for your backsplash, have you ever considered using Corian? It looks just like tile, but is grout-free, making it much more durable and easier to clean.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:52AM
Jeannine Beavers
I think your kitchen is nicer than you give it credit for. the backsplash coud use some updating and if you just hate the color of the cabinets they sell kits at lowes and home depot to restain them. I dont know if anyone has done that and how the products worked out. I have not personally used those products. Maybe you want to try different door pulls.

Im old fashioned and I cringe every time someone paints over brick or real wood.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:56AM
DirectSinks
I love Revere Pewter! That's my living room color. It's very soft, neutral, and cozy! I'm not a fan of painting cabinets. Try painting the room first and see if that brings out the natural beauty of your Oak cabinets before you go for it. Sometimes new hardware & backsplash may be all you really need. *Also oak has deep grooves/ grain. This may be hard to cover. I'm not an expert on refinishing cabinets. But just mention that to any expert you may talk to.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 11:13AM
alicejean
I agree with Jeff Kida. Updating the appliances will make a huge difference.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 12:41PM
alicejean
I should have added that I have had that black, smooth top range, and that I have always liked black appliances. However, I would never want them again! That seemingly unobtrusive cooktop requires constant cleaning as every dust particle and droplet shows on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:19PM
Kitchen Tune-Up - Newton, MA
If you're on a budget then painting will do the job. An earlier post suggested sending them out and I agree. It's difficult to paint doors and if it's not done right it won't look good or last. You can paint the frames yourself. Also be aware that the deep oak grain will show through the paint - not a problem but something to be aware of.

If you remove any doors you'll want the interior to match. The outsides are all real oak but interiors today are often plastic (photo-paper looking like wood). If so that material really doesn't want to be painted. Use a very sticky primer, not normal wall primer (all paint companies have such a thing).

You can have the doors replaced by a Refacing company and paint the boxes yourself. That allows you to get a factory-painted maple door or thermofoil door and change the door style if you wish. That's something we do a lot.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 8:37AM
Jaclyn McNeil
Thanks for the advice! What do you think about raising the cabinets? Is that a more difficult project than pinterest lets on? ;)
    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 8:42AM
iwantit
I would leave the cabinets as is. Change the hardware and update the backsplash instead. Paint the rest of the space the Revere Pewter you want. The wood will show through even if you paint them white unless you get a professional to handle that.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 8:45AM
Circle Goods Reclaimed
If you were to paint I would do some research on cabinet refinishers in the area! This would not be an expensive kitchen to have done, and oak is not a paint grade door by any means but a pro will know how to take care of it and make it look good even for being painted oak!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 9:10AM
luscia1
No paint color works everywhere. I know Revere pewter is a popular color right now but in the wrong light (it will look different in every room of your place since they all have light from different directions) or with a clashing undertone in your fixed elements, such as counter tops and tile flooring, it may look wrong. I have learned the hard way that you have to test paint in large painted swatches on the wall and look at it in every room at every time of day, and that this is true with all colors, including "neutrals" such as whites, greys and beiges. Good luck. Maria Killam at the site Colour me Happy is amazing at color, and is a huge fan of painting kitchens. Check her out - she is brilliant and explains things so we can all understand. She would tell you to change that backsplash to simple, timeless subway tile, by the way. Good luck! You have a great space to work with.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:13PM
Jaclyn McNeil
I just worry that if I replace the back splash then I need to replace the floor tiles...it just all seems to add up really quickly!! I'd like to do/spend as little as possible with the biggest impact but I also fear I'd be putting a band-aid on a much larger problem...
    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:36PM
handymam
I know this thread is old, but I am going to just suggest something for someone reading this for ideas.

The backsplash is fine with the exception of the colored tiles. Those can be removed and replaced with something neutral like the rest of the tile.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2015 at 4:49PM
Need design help for my outdated kitchen!
Not a great picture, but to the left of the workspace...
ssadriscoll
What to do with this outdated cabinet...
We bought our home a year ago and fully intended to...
Leslie
Need help with this outdated kitchen
New cabinets are not an option at this time. What...
marsha4e
My in-laws are moving in and I need to install a basement kitchen.
My basement is completely finished and now my in-laws...
Katie Childs
Small outdated kitchen help needed!
Moving into the guest house on our new property. What...
aabide84
The right wallpaper for modern farmhouse powder room
I need help finding wallpaper. I found two I love....
sbc62vols
Need help chosing paint colors for open floor plan
We have an open floor plan in which the family room,...
Kim Myerscough
Septic and vent area in patio- need ideas to cover these eyesores!
We are in the process of creating a 16x40 patio in...
tayloralane
Ideas for a table?
I want to put a console table next to the couch but...
mcklood
Lobby redecorating-cost estimate
As a committee member for our condo lobby I am trying...
ali4gator