HELP! Which bathroom layout would you choose?
laurarollins
We are adding 2 bathrooms to our second floor, one master and one for kids. This is in addition to an existing bathroom at the top of the staircase. There is really no choice but to put the new kids bathroom next to the existing bathroom. What are the pros/cons you see?
Which layout would you choose?

Thanks in advance for advice!
If possible keep the bathrooms a mirror image of each other with the toilet sharing one wall.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:48PM
Amy Stokes
I'm assuming the bath on the right is the new one, which is why you can't do as suggested above and have the plumbing mirror each other. It would be cheapest to have all of the plumbing for both bathrooms in one wall. If the bath on the left is existing, i would at least save some money and keep the plumbing for the second bath in one wall. The vanity sizes appear to be the same in both layouts, so I would go the cheaper route and go with the second layout.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:04PM
rocketjcat
@dytecture, I'm not a designer so may I ask why you suggest the baths mirror each other? I do think it would be more pleasing visually, just wondering why. If the bath on the right is the new one, would your 'mirror' concept work if the 2 tubs were on the shared wall?
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:43PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I like the plan on the left and I like Dytecture's advice if it's possible. If you are in a cold climate, do not put the shower head on an exterior wall. Swing the door into the room.

Is the first floor roof outside the bathrooms new? It appears there is a valley directing water to a wall.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:58PM
kathleen MK
Mirroring helps them share plumbing lines. As mom of three, I'd say having the tub and or toilet in a separate area can ease squabbles.or at least keep the door banging out of the hall. Easier to share plumbing lines than shower times:-)
    Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:11PM
laurarollins
Thanks for all the advice. The new bathroom is the one to the left of the other, so we can't entirely share plumbing.

Yes the roof is existing, from an old bump out of the kitchen.

Does anyone think it is strange to walk up the stairs and be presented two nearly identical bathrooms side by side?

Just seems like such a strange flow.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 3:49AM
Mark Bischak, Architect
Call one "Deja" and the other one "Vu".
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 4:28AM
rocketjcat
Yes I think it's strange to have 2 identical side by side. Can the one one the left be redesigned to have a door from the adjacent back bedroom, and remove the hall door?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 5:19AM
laurarollins
sorry, I misspoke. the new bathroom is the one on the right of the other, the one at the top of the stairs exists already.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 6:22AM
rocketjcat
Who will be the users of these 2 bathrooms? Just kids in the family? Any guests that are staying in an upstairs guest room? Of so which is the guest room? I think the best entry door position may depend on how you plan to use them.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 10:13AM
derk5
I would arrange the new bathroom in the mirror image of the original, with the bathtubs back-to-back. Locating plumbing on an exterior wall is not a good idea. The door should open into the room, or you could use pocket doors on both bathrooms. If both bathrooms are intended to serve all four bedrooms, the side-by-side layout is fine. You'll have about 6 feet of wall space between the bathroom doors.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:08AM
laurarollins
We're thinking bedroom 1 is the guest room since it is smallest. Kids will be in bedrooms 2-4 (one girl, one boy, and one TBD with arrival imminent).

We are leaning toward the layout that moves the door to the other side even it is more expensive plumbing-wise. That way bedrooms 1-2 funnel into existing bathroom and bedrooms 3-4 use the other. And then we avoid the awkward moment at the top of the stairs looking into 2 bathrooms.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:09AM
soberg
It's unusual to have 2 side-by-side identical bathrooms in a private house, but not in a bad way. I would give the unusualness factor no negative weight whatsoever. If you need those 2 bathrooms, may as well have them there right in the hall where they're convenient. I would definitely give them either names or numbers (Rocky and Bullwinkle? #1 and #2? #3 and #4? Left and Right? etc.) on the door - partly for fun and partly for practicality - to simplify the homeowners discussing cleaning and maintenance as well as telling guests things like, "I left towels and shampoo for you in bathroom #3".
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:22AM
rocketjcat
I think your plan makes sense for 1-2 to share the existing left bathroom, and 3-4 to share the right one. I like the 2nd plan with the door on the side to disguise that they are right next to each other. But please heed the advise that the plumbing should not be on an exterior wall, so I think you need to rearrange the fixture layout, even if it means moving the door farther to the right on that side wall and losing your window seat.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:44AM
Would love your opinion on which condo floorplan you like best!
Bought a condo recently and the builder has given us...
glowgirl75
Need help with bathroom layout to maximize closet and storage!
I posted a while back asking for layout help, and got...
mshutterbug
Which would you pick?
This poll is motivated by what to do for a home to...
Julie Hunt
Which Bathroom Vanity color to Choose?
We are finishing up with our master bathroom remodel....
saudade08
Bathroom layout in 1950 house. Need HELP!!
My room is 8' X 6' right now the tub is on a back 6'...
Joanna McKinnerney
Need help im building a guest house
The size of the land 78ftx50ft. i want to build 3 story...
cristina macabenta
Anyone have creative ideas for my bare wall with thermostat in center?
This hallway wall leads from our front door to our...
jtrumper
Sitting room lighting
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for lighting for our sitting...
brynna2112
Basic wall color for selling home
In preparation to put our house on the market, we will...
szak1812
Spice rack inside pantry door
What should the depth/ width of a pantry door in mm...
shiprag75